To all those who think we can wait for next season for promotion

alpine_saint

This season has been the best for years and the summer is going to be even better, I reckon about eight will leave and maybe four will join and we will be stronger at the end of summer than now even if we lose Lallana, which I doubt. Can anyone cheer Alpine up?

This season has been the best for years and the summer is going to be even better, I reckon about eight will leave and maybe four will join and we will be stronger at the end of summer than now even if we lose Lallana, which I doubt. Can anyone cheer Alpine up?

Alpine is only "happy" when he has something to moan about. He has even abondoned his own thread and has been posting on another thread about Celtic and Lallana????

The sentiments posted by Alpine are not wrong at all.

Of course it would be far easier to retain ( or even attract) the players we want if we were in a higher division.

However I do think young Adam ( a local lad of course which helps), has his head screwed on and would only move upwards if he could see it benefitting him as a player first and foremost - He has been quoted as such.

Celtic would not provide him with that opportunity IMO.

Alpine is only "happy" when he has something to moan about. He has even abondoned his own thread and has been posting on another thread about Celtic and Lallana????

Whereas you are only happy and animated when you are stalking me, it seems. Those rare posts you make not involving abusing me are so banal that most people miss them completely.

I see you've had about 5 or 6 attempts to belittle me on this thread alone, base on my original OP, so desperate is your need to completely control and defeat.

I feel very sorry for you...

Lallana is not going anywhere. He wants and needs at least another season of regular football, not warming a bench. He has a year and a bit left of his contract and it would not suprise me if he was not offerred a new and better one in the close season.

He is happy here

You heard it here first!

Whereas you are only happy and animated when you are stalking me, it seems. Those rare posts you make not involving abusing me are so banal that most people miss them completely.

I see you've had about 5 or 6 attempts to belittle me on this thread alone, base on my original OP, so desperate is your need to completely control and defeat.

He just cannot resist replying to your posts G. You should be flattered although it is getting a little boring.

the IRONY of this post, most of us feel sorry for YOU, you cant enjoy the "good times" can't see the club having a good season, can only ever be negative, can only ever insult, cant find a shred of enjoyment from this season ... so with all that in mind how the hell are you going to cope when we do next get promoted? because make NO MISTAKE there WILL be many horrid bumps along the road over next few seasons. If you think this one is so bad, god help you then!! To patronise this poster for enjoying a season? THATS why & when going becomes relivant to your argument .

serious question

What is your problem if we don't go up? which lets be honest is pretty likely?

you dont go? so why is it so important? is it bragging rights to your friends?

or do you seriously think the owner will run away at the first hurdle?

Not everyone has your standards! thank god.

I have loved this season, I have loved the MOOD around match days. I have loved most results.could we do better? hell yes but even if we get to 5th in Prem we will still "dream" of doing better? so what!

You don't need me to belittle you Alpine, you do that all by yourself.

Dont get the sarcasm at all. I agree with you, hence I find "Its only The Sun" comments rather bizarre.

Well since you ask, I'll explain.........

The 'bizarre' comments are because you might as well tell us what The Beano says as take what The Sun says seriously.

Looking at the link on the other thread on this I see it says 'a dream move to Celtic' for example. How would a move to Celtic be a dream move for a promising young English player? If he has dreams about playing in a higher league I bet it is in the English PL. Don't you think so?

That link is of course to the Scottish edition of the Sun. Hence 'dream move' to Celtic. The Sun just writes what it thinks its readers want to read. Anyone who takes it seriously cannot expect to be taken seriously themselves.

K.

I suggest you have a look at the Sun today - at least one SPL and two EPL teams want Lallana.

I have always maintained, if we dont go up this season, we will be back almost at square one this summer due to an exodus of our best players. If we do go up, I reckon they would give the club another season to reach the EPL.

Its that critical....

It was never going to happen as only one team out of a very large number has ever defied the points penalty to make the play offs and that was Leeds. The handicap at the start of the season in terms of lack of preparation and the points deduction on top made it an unrealistic expectation. The fact that we are even still talking about making the play-offs is a statement that the team is doing well.

If we do have to replace some players in the summer I expect it to be for big fees and I'm sure that difference now is that money will be re-invested quickly to strengthen again.

One thing Cortese has is the ability to be decisive so I expect such decisions to be made swiftly to allow for appropriate planning.

He just cannot resist replying to your posts G. You should be flattered although it is getting a little boring.

Weston, I am not the only one who is fed up with Alpine's constant negativity and doomladen threads and posts. You only have to read this thread to see that. Nice that you are sticking up for your buddy though.

Lallana is not going anywhere. He wants and needs at least another season of regular football, not warming a bench. He has a year and a bit left of his contract and it would not suprise me if he was not offerred a new and better one in the close season.

He is happy here

You heard it here first!

I'm sure thats true. But letting his agent place stories about possible better offers from other clubs as a negotiating tool is not only a bit pathetic but transparent also.

He is happy here

You heard it here first!

I assume that this is direct from the family?

I'm sure thats true. But letting his agent place stories about possible better offers from other clubs as a negotiating tool is not only a bit pathetic but transparent also.
His agent is not doing that as far as I am aware. I would be careful with your accusations. If it is your opinion then preface your comment with that.

I suggest you have a look at the Sun today - at least one SPL and two EPL teams want Lallana.

I have always maintained, if we dont go up this season, we will be back almost at square one this summer due to an exodus of our best players. If we do go up, I reckon they would give the club another season to reach the EPL.

Its that critical....

I should think that by the end of the day another 3 clubs ..including another "un-named Prem. club " will be hunting AL.

well for what it's worth, they can put him on their wish list and post it to Father Christmas along with all the others, they are hardly likely see the wish granted. Sounds like a " rolling snowball story " after a quiet day in the press room, or a couple of beers with someone's agent .

I'm sorry but that is called business. Its about supply and demand for your services. If Adam is in demand (and I suspect he might be in CCC or maybe Scottish Prem) then I fully expect him to at least have it taken into account when he negotiates a contract.

When was the last time anyone didn't use offers from elsewhere as a possible tool to secure a bit more from existing employers? It happens all the time!

If a Prem club comes in I really don't believe we will hang onto him (or pretty much any other player) regardless of us being L1 or CCC.

Players like Kelvin staying are very rare cases. Although I do believe it was partly motivated by him being realistic and not wanting to spend the Autumn/Winter years of his career on the bench playing second fiddle to a Goalkeeper in contention for a spot in the national team.

Its as Beattie said a few years ago. In football loyalty is more something for fans. It is worth remembering that this is their career, albeit one pretty alien to most of us on here. In what other walk of life would any one turn down the opportunity to work for at a bigger/more prestigious institution on significantly increased wages?

We saw last summer an exodus of frankly, pretty mediocre players to pretty mediocre clubs. Now we have a team consisting of some actual talent it is not surprising clubs in the higher reaches of the footballing pyramid will be sniffing around.

Luckily, unlike in previous years we are on much more sound terms financially, and will pretty much only have to sell if the player makes their own position at the club and in the squad untenable. As I said previously, I find it hard to believe that if a Prem club comes in for Lallana (or most other players in the squad) we are going to struggle to convince them to stay

If a Prem club comes in I really don't believe we will hang onto him (or pretty much any other player) regardless of us being L1 or CCC.

Players like Kelvin staying are very rare cases. Although I do believe it was partly motivated by him being realistic and not wanting to spend the Autumn/Winter years of his career on the bench playing second fiddle to a Goalkeeper in contention for a spot in the national team.

Its as Beattie said a few years ago. In football loyalty is more something for fans. It is worth remembering that this is their career, albeit one pretty alien to most of us on here. In what other walk of life would any one turn down the opportunity to work for at a bigger/more prestigious institution on significantly increased wages?

We saw last summer an exodus of frankly, pretty mediocre players to pretty mediocre clubs. Now we have a team consisting of some actual talent it is not surprising clubs in the higher reaches of the footballing pyramid will be sniffing around.

Luckily, unlike in previous years we are on much more sound terms financially, and will pretty much only have to sell if the player makes their own position at the club and in the squad untenable. As I said previously, I find it hard to believe that if a Prem club comes in for Lallana (or most other players in the squad) we are going to struggle to convince them to stay

A player always wants to develope his skills and test them at a higher level. Promotion will help but Adam knows he needs another year getting regular football with Saints. Of course if a Premier club comes in with an offer he cannot refuse then like everone else with a short high earning career he is going to be tempted and if it was considered right for him he may go. However at this stage he is only thinking of playing for Saints, this season and at least the next. He is convinced he will be playing Premier with Saints in a few years

He is happy here

You heard it here first!

No we didn't, Lallana and Pardew have been saying it all season ;)

We aren't in a possition whereby we are desperate to sell, therefore if he leaves we will get very good money for him. Figures like £5m were thrown around ridiculously in summer, but after the season he's had £3m-£5m is entirely possible.

Only a handful of clubs in the top half of the Prem could afford to spend several million on a League 1 player. That would happen regardless of whether we were a League 1 or CCC club. If it does, I trust Markus, Nicola and Pardew to invest the money wisely in a quality replacement and life moves on. Last summer I cried myself to sleep wondering how we'd cope without Ryan Smith, but we've done okay. I expect next season will be the same. IF he leaves.

We aren't in a possition whereby we are desperate to sell, therefore if he leaves we will get very good money for him. Figures like £5m were thrown around ridiculously in summer, but after the season he's had £3m-£5m is entirely possible.

Only a handful of clubs in the top half of the Prem could afford to spend several million on a League 1 player. That would happen regardless of whether we were a League 1 or CCC club. If it does, I trust Markus, Nicola and Pardew to invest the money wisely in a quality replacement and life moves on. Last summer I cried myself to sleep wondering how we'd cope without Ryan Smith, but we've done okay. I expect next season will be the same. IF he leaves.

I still maintain he would have done very well in this league.

Im a huge fan of Lallana, but as good as he is, we won't get anything like 5 million for him.

He would still be a gamble and won't command that sort of fee until he has proved he is capable at the very highest level. 5 million would over double the record transfer for a league 1 or two club

Even two million would be pushing it and that is more to do with historical transfer fees for this division rather than his ability.

Im a huge fan of Lallana, but as good as he is, we won't get anything like 5 million for him.

He would still be a gamble and won't command that sort of fee until he has proved he is capable at the very highest level. 5 million would over double the record transfer for a league 1 or two club

Even two million would be pushing it and that is more to do with historical transfer fees for this division rather than his ability.

I don't think he is worth £5m. Personally I'd say about £3m at a guess. You never know though with teams at the sharp end of the Prem willing to spend big if they've found the next big thing.

Look at Delph. Went for £8m, probably double what he's worth really. It all depends on how much someone is willing to spend I guess.

Personally, I think Alps is right that we may lose AL, MS or even RL in the summer if we are not promoted, but we wont be back to square one and I don't think its that critical.

Our club now understands how to buy/attract decent players, so if those move on, I think we would only struggle to replace RL.

My guess is that Morgan will move on, Lallana & Lambert will stay, we will purchase 1 Fonte class player and 2 or 3 L1 stars and promotion will follow.

Maybe I'm in a minority of one, but I genuinely don't believe Lallana will be going anywhere, even if a Prem club comes in for him. Maybe in 3-4 years time, but not yet IMHO.

He knows that we are on the up, and he can be a pivotal force in making us successful again. We can tar all footballers with the same brush and say they're money making mercenaries, but from what he said in the Echo interview around the JP Trophy time he didn't think much of the moves made by the likes of Theo, Bale etc.

Now I'm not stupid enough to say that he won't move - that would just be lunacy in the modern age - but he is clearly loving his time with Saints at present, and long may it continue.

Maybe I'm in a minority of one, but I genuinely don't believe Lallana will be going anywhere, even if a Prem club comes in for him. Maybe in 3-4 years time, but not yet IMHO.

He knows that we are on the up, and he can be a pivotal force in making us successful again. We can tar all footballers with the same brush and say they're money making mercenaries, but from what he said in the Echo interview around the JP Trophy time he didn't think much of the moves made by the likes of Theo, Bale etc.

Now I'm not stupid enough to say that he won't move - that would just be lunacy in the modern age - but he is clearly loving his time with Saints at present, and long may it continue.

He'll be 22 very shortly and any chance of an international career is passing him by.He won't get noticed in League 1 and money just isn't everything, in fact for most it's a bit secondary. Sporting excellence is what counts and he won't find that in League 1.If Weston says he's likely to stay then I'll take his word for it but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he does move on this summer

all the same.Perhaps he's a Le Tiss bis.

agreed, i've thought this way all along.

Adam can be the focal point of this team, all the way through to the PL. Pard's knows this, and i'm sure adam does. What's best? warming the bench at Fulham or Wolves, or being a key player and focal point of a progressive team?

easy choice IMO. Same goes for morgan...

Alps is right - we could very well loose AL sooner than we think. Is it critical - errrr no.

certainly not....the toughest player we would have to replace if he left would be lambert...

with lallana, although he would be a big miss, I think puncheon would be a better player out on the left than he is on the right (or in the middle ffs)..with A N Other or antonio on the right..

lambert is priceless to us IMO

however, it should be noted that swindon lost their star player and now look at them after some very sound purchases/loans..

I don't think he is worth £5m. Personally I'd say about £3m at a guess. You never know though with teams at the sharp end of the Prem willing to spend big if they've found the next big thing.

Look at Delph. Went for £8m, probably double what he's worth really. It all depends on how much someone is willing to spend I guess.

But the point is now that we aren't skint we don't have to let him go for £ 2 or 3million. Fans can never tell for sure what is going on inside a club, but it appears that AL would only go if we get offered silly money, such as £5 million. If no one offers silly money, then great, he won't go.

K.

and lallana should look at delph if he's ever in doubt.

class player at L1 level, really top quality - but went too early and barley plays.

and lallana should look at delph if he's ever in doubt.

class player at L1 level, really top quality - but went too early and barley plays.

did he though..people said it about bale..now look at him..

and theo..yep, pretty sure he turned the game around against barca last week

no player should expect to move up from league 1 and walk into a prem side...it will take time no matter who you are

no player should expect to move up from league 1 and walk into a prem side...it will take time no matter who you are

Bale walked straight into the spurs team when he got there and was fantastic - until he got an injury, and another injury...but he's got back to his best now.

People said the same about Baird being a bench warmer for Fulham but does anyone think that he was regretting leaving us when he was playing in the team that tonked Juventus last month?

Bale and Theo have something Adam doesn't and that's pace.

He's improved his engine no end and his touch is EPL standard but I have my doubts if he could do it at that level.

I would love to be proved wrong on that count as the nipper is a quality footballer.