hotmail account hacked into

JackFrost

Just noticed one of my two hotmail accounts has been hacked into by someone and they've sent spam to every single contact in the address book. Luckily most of the contacts were out of date anyway, which is what made me notice as I had nearly a whole page of postmaster delivery notification failures in my inbox when I logged in.

I reported it to hotmail and then changed the password and security question. I then thought sod it and closed the hotmail account as I don't really need it. As I've used that account for online transactions I checked by bank balance just in case and all appears to be fine.

This happened to anyone else?

Also, anything else security wise I should check/do?

I've literally just served a customer with this who has had the exact same problem.

I don't for one moment believe someone has hacked into your account and sent emails out to all your address book - there is no logic behind doing that.

It is web based so I can't see how it could happen from your system being infected with a virus and/or spyware.

I'm really at a bit of a loss on that one - I've suggested the customer contacts MS, as I can only assume their servers have been infected with a virus of some sort or something along those lines.

I would suggest you export your contact list to a file on your desktop, setup a gmail account and use that instead - that is what I've done for said customer.

Yeah, 3 or 4 of my friends have had this recently. I'm not sure that this particular hacker is after your money, more spamming people and getting them to click on the links in the emails. Turn your firewall up to an 11 and close that mutha'f*cka down if you keep sending out spam.

This has happened to a mate of mine too.

Thought it was weird that the title of the email was 'long time no speak' but had literally just had an email from him. Also had one about a Christmas present idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk