Saints legend in drugs arrest

Master Bates

Thats very sad to hear, it must be difficult for a footballer when their career comes to an end, not sure what he has been doing with himself since then.

Must be difficult retiring having earnt far more in a limited career than most earn in a lifetime.The prospect of retiring in a state of financial security - let alone at such a young age - is not one I can easily contemplate,but if push came to shove I reckon I might be able to cope with the pressure it brings.

That said,I can understand that he may feel like a 'spare limb' after his playing days come to an end.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this I hope he comes out of it. Get well Claus for you and your families sake.

Go along with that.

AGAIN he doesnt smoke - he uses Swedish wet tobaco called SNUS - you who has been to pre season tours here is Sweden knows what Im talking about. You make a ball out of this snus and put it under your upper lip. When you dring - like we all know Santa likes to do people addicted to snus rather smoke since the snus always end up in the beer and that tastes - well not pleasant... So thats a wery common thing hes doing - at least in the Nordic countries.

Yes he does. Saw him buying a packet of 20 in the co-op in North Baddesly about 3 years ago, he walked out of the shop & lit up.

Looked like a smoker to me. :rolleyes:

It now appears he may be a pathetic drug user/addict as well now. What a gimp. :(

Drugs are for weak people who need something to make the look tough/interesting to their mates. It's a real shame that Claus appears to have fallen to these depths.

what interests me is that it seems to be only the Echo that has reported this story

How so? It's the kind of story only the echo would report at this stage. If tried and convicted it'll make a line or two in the nationals and on the bbc.

I just hope he get's help sounds to me that quite possibly he has the disease of alcoholism /addiction which i wouldn't infict on my worsed enemy .....

Agreed and some of the stupid and inflammatory comments are the ramblings of the ignorant or those in denial who believe they can control their own addictions.

I hope he gets the help too look forward and enjoy his life without the crutches of drugs and booze . The real chumps are the likes of Dune and SRS but what do we expect

Agreed and some of the stupid and inflammatory comments are the ramblings of the ignorant or those in denial who believe they can control their own addictions.

I hope he gets the help too look forward and enjoy his life without the crutches of drugs and booze . The real chumps are the likes of Dune and SRS but what do we expect

You have talked about your mental health issues in the past. Did you have/Do you have a drug problem?

How so? It's the kind of story only the echo would report at this stage. If tried and convicted it'll make a line or two in the nationals and on the bbc.

Because we're talking about Claus, and Claus is what most Saints fans would call "a legend". Maybe not in the same "legend" status as MLT or Ted Bates but still a player who was loved here by many.

I I'm pretty surprised by this story, if true I'd have thought Claus was someone "who'd have had more sense".

I suppose I'm weighing up the likelihood of this story being true and my take on Claus as an individual, with the Echo's reputation for providing accurate journalism.

I hope he gets the help too look forward and enjoy his life without the crutches of drugs and booze .

I cant believe I am saying this but I agree 100% with you 19C.

Thats very sad to hear, it must be difficult for a footballer when their career comes to an end, not sure what he has been doing with himself since then.

Really lots of professional sportsman retire each year but not many turn to drugs.

Claus seems to be irresponsible having already been found guilty of drink driving

Agreed :rolleyes:

Really lots of professional sportsman retire each year but not many turn to drugs.

Claus seems to be irresponsible having already been found guilty of drink driving

I think there is more too it than your first comment but I am not prepared to betray a confidence by elaborating. All I would say is that it is very easy to judge without knowing all of the facts.

I do agree with your second statement though.

I think there is more too it than your first comment but I am not prepared to betray a confidence by elaborating. All I would say is that it is very easy to judge without knowing all of the facts.

I do agree with your second statement though.

If you agree with the second statement then you are judging without the facts .

When his drink drive offence came to light it war easy to judge him as am idiot acting as if he would not get caught and i fell into the trap of judging on that event in isolation.

In hindsight it may now be the case the man is dealing with more serious demons than simple stupidity and arrogance.

I hope its not that M-Kat/plant food, that kills people, but at least the flowers on their grave will grow nicely.

Mephedrone is not actually plant food. There's a loop hole in the law that allows unscrupulous individuals to import the drug from China to sell on in the UK (for big profit) by labelling it as plant food/not for human consumption. It will be thankfully banned here soon. It already is in Sweden, Norway, Germany, Australila & a few other countries.

It's a decidedly dodgey, untested drug & you'd actually be better off (if you disregarded your own health enough to experiment with recreational drugs) using drugs the authorities knew more about. As of yet, very little is known about the drug & how it may affect users mixing it with other drugs or the dangerous combination which is starting to emerge while mixed with alcohol. It may be cheap, legal & easily accessible via the Internet but my best advice is steer well clear.

As for Claus, I've no idea what he's into but I can have a good guess. Cocaine is rife in football (& in general) cos it's one of the few drugs that doesn't stay in the body's system long. I hope he sorts himself out & the exposure brings the situation to a head & allows him to move forwards, not backwards as the direction drugs would drag him.

If you agree with the second statement then you are judging without the facts .

When his drink drive offence came to light it war easy to judge him as am idiot acting as if he would not get caught and i fell into the trap of judging on that event in isolation.

In hindsight it may now be the case the man is dealing with more serious demons than simple stupidity and arrogance.

I think you may be the one without the facts but I am not going to comment further as per my previous post.

WTF !! Yeah the poor dear, having all that money in the bank must be awful at the end of your career, I feel terrible for him.........................:rolleyes:

Claus always was a bit of a prat.

WTF !! Yeah the poor dear, having all that money in the bank must be awful at the end of your career, I feel terrible for him.........................:rolleyes:

Claus always was a bit of a prat.

Agree with that.....he's been a knob for years,some people choose to turn a blind eye because of who he is.

At the end of the day the bloke has been living a 'grey area' life for years but it's not him we should be feeling sorry for,it's his wife and kids.

He's just another overpaid idiot footballer from a long queue of idiot footballers,and unfortunately not the first or last to have been part of SFC.

Mephedrone is not actually plant food. There's a loop hole in the law that allows unscrupulous individuals to import the drug from China to sell on in the UK (for big profit) by labelling it as plant food/not for human consumption. It will be thankfully banned here soon. It already is in Sweden, Norway, Germany, Australila & a few other countries.

It's a decidedly dodgey, untested drug & you'd actually be better off (if you disregarded your own health enough to experiment with recreational drugs) using drugs the authorities knew more about. As of yet, very little is known about the drug & how it may affect users mixing it with other drugs or the dangerous combination which is starting to emerge while mixed with alcohol. It may be cheap, legal & easily accessible via the Internet but my best advice is steer well clear.

As for Claus, I've no idea what he's into but I can have a good guess. Cocaine is rife in football (& in general) cos it's one of the few drugs that doesn't stay in the body's system long. I hope he sorts himself out & the exposure brings the situation to a head & allows him to move forwards, not backwards as the direction drugs would drag him.

Like canabis etc which is illegal although its dangers are highly exagerated by (and is why half the government's drugs advisory board continues to resign). You'll do more harm to yourself and others drinking beer ffs.

Anyway why are the police raiding his home unless he has enough to warrant intent to supply?

Would anyone be arsed if Claus was just getting hammered on Stella? No, because "drugs" basically equate to "stuff the government doesn't tax".

All the reporting is sensationalist. The papers are up in arms about meow meow these days the same way they were about ecstacy back in the 90s.

At its height, the number of ecstacy deaths in one year was 40. That same year, 33,000 people died from alcohol-related illness. Apparently, 25 people have died using meow meow. That's not even taking cigarette smoking into account either.

Seems weird that the Government is happy to let tens of thousands of people drink or smoke themselves to death, but goes all nanny state with the rest of it.

The Dutch and Portuguese have got the right idea. Explain and mitigate the risks, and let people get on with it.

Claus from what I understand is now in the Priory at Marchwood he is in one hell of a mess, it all stems from not playing football and the adulation that he got when playing. What I have been told and I have every reason to believe what I have been told he just can not come to terms with life after football, I for one wish him well.

Edited by Toomer

Agree with that.....he's been a knob for years,some people choose to turn a blind eye because of who he is.

At the end of the day the bloke has been living a 'grey area' life for years but it's not him we should be feeling sorry for,it's his wife and kids.

He's just another overpaid idiot footballer from a long queue of idiot footballers,and unfortunately not the first or last to have been part of SFC.

Very true he seems very irresponsible to me

Claus from what I understand is now in the Priory at Marchwood his is in one hell of a mess, it all stems from not playing football and the adulation that he got when playing. What I have been told and I have every reason to believe what I have been told he just can not come to terms with life after football, I for one wish him well.

This is true I am afraid to say and I share your sentiments.

Would anyone be arsed if Claus was just getting hammered on Stella? No, because "drugs" basically equate to "stuff the government doesn't tax".

All the reporting is sensationalist. The papers are up in arms about meow meow these days the same way they were about ecstacy back in the 90s.

At its height, the number of ecstacy deaths in one year was 40. That same year, 33,000 people died from alcohol-related illness. Apparently, 25 people have died using meow meow. That's not even taking cigarette smoking into account either.

Seems weird that the Government is happy to let tens of thousands of people drink or smoke themselves to death, but goes all nanny state with the rest of it.

The Dutch and Portuguese have got the right idea. Explain and mitigate the risks, and let people get on with it.

Well go and live there then. I would rather live in a country that at least tries to get scumbag dealers in prison.

Well go and live there then. I would rather live in a country that at least tries to get scumbag dealers in prison.

You're missing the point. We don't throw off licence owners, newsagents or publicans in prison. The policy of prohibition actually creates scumbag dealers, and ensures that anyone that does travel out of the legal arena is by definition, dealing with criminals.

People are going to use recreational chemicals regardless of their legality. That being the case, isn't it better to ensure that the market is regulated and people are educated about the risks?

Brilliant counter-argument, by the way. I had to go get myself a PhD just to be in a position to answer it.

I have not read the article but I have heard the Old Bill battered his door down. Sounds to me thay had a search warrant. Now if they did and I am speculating, they would have had corrobotrated information about him and drugs. And again this is speculation but would the Old Bill go to all that trouble for someone that was just a user????

I'll leave you all to speculate on where he is on the 'food chain' of drugs users and suppliers.......................................

Am i now the only one who wears a 'Lundekvam No 5' home shirt to matches?

He gave it to my 18yo daughter after a 0 - 1 defeat against Sunderland at the Dell, telling her to wait outside the players entrance after the game, fair play to him he did'nt let her down, she's a bit too slim and 'shapely' to wear it so she gave it to me.

Im really gonna have to buy a new one for next season - tight sod!

Absolutely right.

I still have no sympathy for druggies though.

Absolutely right.

I still have no sympathy for druggies though.

And that's fair play.

Too much of pretty much anything is going to be bad for you. And yes, when you're burgling houses just to feed a chemical dependence, you're way off the reservation.

If Claus does have a problem, I really hope he sorts it - especially if it is affecting his family.

However, there are plenty of people who go out occasionally, and would prefer to get high than get drunk, and I have no problem with that. Pretty much every fracas I've ever been involved in has had amazingly drunk people in the starring roles.

We put extra police on the street to deal with this stuff. While nasties like heroin and crack cocaine are a genuine societal blight, all we have to do for people who are playing about with hash and pills is open more 24 hour munchie emporiums.

Sorry the topic of this thread is so sad but I cannot stop laughing at it. Pure TSW tragedy, seriousness, desperation and comedy all rolled into one.

Stu, Dune and Denzil - you crack me up. How people on here have the audacity to take you seriously is beyond me. Keep up the good work!

Spot on, there are risks involved with everything in life, if the recreational drugs industry was legalised and regulated everyone would be better off, extra tax for government, more jobs (that can be taxed), and the freedom of choice for people to want enjoy themselves whilst taking good quality and small amounts of drugs occasionally, with just the odd person becoming addicted just as they do with alcohol or cigarettes.

We've wandered off topic a bit from Claus's problems. But I think it's fair to say that handing over the distribution of a desirable product to criminals is not usually a good idea. The USA has never recovered from the strength prohibition of alcohol gave to organised crime.

I don't want to see one child taking any drug where the effects, purity and make-up are all unknown quantities. I'm in favour of harsh penalties for drug dealers while the present system continues. But perhaps we ned to ask ourselves if there is a better way and maybe controlled legalisation should seriously be examined. And we should also be examining why so many young people feel that narcotics are the answer. The trouble is that any politician suggesting any new approach to drugs policy is hounded out of the arena. And meanwhile more kids are left at the mercy of unscrupulous people who are only interested in money.

I wonder...

All very sad for anyone that gets into an addiction spiral, and with his changed circumstances and income this may be a real problem for Claus....

But I still wonder back to WGS days and if we actually had a much bigger problem inside the club than we ever got to hear about.

Was it just Claus or were others of his era also into this?

We've speculated a lot about "players doing bad things with other players wives" but I wonder if this is what WGS alluded to in his post Newcastle statement that "Dark Forces were at work within the club.

Is this a sad story or the Tip of an old iceberg that was a small part of what sank us?

Sorry the topic of this thread is so sad but I cannot stop laughing at it. Pure TSW tragedy, seriousness, desperation and comedy all rolled into one.

Stu, Dune and Denzil - you crack me up. How people on here have the audacity to take you seriously is beyond me. Keep up the good work!

Is it any of our business what Claus gets up to in his private life? Is it?

Is it any of our business what Claus gets up to in his private life? Is it?

Claus and the likes of Jimmy Greaves, George Best, Paul Gascoine paid the price of fame which they could not adapt to but each, in their own way were unique to the game of football. Had they become carpenters or electricians I'm sure that the pressures of those jobs would not have brought them to the same level of indignity (that the media has done.)

Claus, who was also a Norwegian international and sometime captain, is the only foreign player to have played over 400 games for SFC in a period of almost 10 years. His bravery cannot be denied and most of the injuries that sidelined him were acquired " in the cause ".

His pairings with Dean Richards and later Michael Svensson gave us some of the best defensive partnerships that Saints have had in the last 30 years.

I think it is brutal and somewhat unethical for the media to exploit them as they have done. Some of these so-called journalists ought to perhaps consider the biblical verse..." let he that is without sin, caste the first stone ..." before joyously writing about someone else's downfall.

My memories of Claus (and the others) are gladly, of their exploits on the football pitch...and not their social misdemeanours.

Edited by david in sweden

It is sad when a story such as this is printed, to suggest it is about not being able to cope with life after football is, imo, disingenuous, i'm sure many on here have heard and indeed some may even have witnessed the social activities of some of our 'stars' whilst they were still playing so I do not subscribe to that, its a lifestyle choice.