The playoffs aint done yet

alki_in_korea

I think some people round here are so used to being losers, they've forgotten what it's like to dream.

Surely we haven't become so conditioned to losing that we can sneer and laugh at those who dare to dream?

Look, come Saturday, for those of us that are there, are you going to sing any quieter or not care so much if we concede a sloppy goal? Will you not cheer every goal, will you not sing the players' names?

I think play-offs dissappeared when we lost to Swindon at home. BUT, for some strange reason, this club just won;t lie down and accept it's fate. Somebody or something keeps kicking that play-off door slightly open, just enough to slam it back in our faces again the very next match.

Does it matter if we have blown it already? Because I thank those that still have hope, makes it all that more interesting.

If you believe we still have a chance, you won;t look stupid if we don;t get there, because hey, nobody thought we could do it. BUT, those that are slamming those that dare to dream, how STUPID will you look if we just dare to realise that dream...

I think some people round here are so used to being losers, they've forgotten what it's like to dream.

Surely we haven't become so conditioned to losing that we can sneer and laugh at those who dare to dream?

Look, come Saturday, for those of us that are there, are you going to sing any quieter or not care so much if we concede a sloppy goal? Will you not cheer every goal, will you not sing the players' names?

I think play-offs dissappeared when we lost to Swindon at home. BUT, for some strange reason, this club just won;t lie down and accept it's fate. Somebody or something keeps kicking that play-off door slightly open, just enough to slam it back in our faces again the very next match.

Does it matter if we have blown it already? Because I thank those that still have hope, makes it all that more interesting.

If you believe we still have a chance, you won;t look stupid if we don;t get there, because hey, nobody thought we could do it. BUT, those that are slamming those that dare to dream, how STUPID will you look if we just dare to realise that dream...

Every one of us on here want us to win every game and i dont think anyone of us would sneer and laugh if it goes tits up and come Monday we're all going to be up for it, win, draw or lose, we're going to give it everything.

We wont give up our support because we're maybe going to have to wait another year, we really have got something big to look forward to ... unlike a year ago!

I love to read positive threads regarding snatching that 6th place athough i disagree and personally thought that we'd lost it after Exeter which will no doubt label me as a pessimist.

But hey folks its going to happen, things really are going to get a whole lot better. It really is a GREAT time to be a Southampton Football Club supporter!!!

Everyone seems to be forgetting that we actually need to win 11 games on the spin to go up. - Including the 2 legs in the play offs, so the equation may change slightly.

Hudderfield worry me, if we lose out it will be to them IMO. Assuming, of course, that we win 8 games first.

I had us down drawing two and winning 6 and making it in on the last day with us beating Southend and Hudderfield only drawing away!!

Also where would we stand if Southend went out of business.

I had us down drawing two and winning 6 and making it in on the last day with us beating Southend and Hudderfield only drawing away!!

Also where would we stand if Southend went out of business.

It's likely that they'll be able to play their remaining fixtures, apparently.

i agree but im not all doom and gloom yet.just think see the next few weeks out at end of april i reckon we'll be knockin on the door

I'll let you in on a bit of news. It isn't all doom and gloom if Saints don't get promoted this season. :)

But let's how we look after the next two home games anyway.

My Predictions for next few games, assuming Saints win all five games (which I know is a big ask!):

Saturday 3rd April

Leeds United 2 v 1 Swindon

Leyton Orient 1 v 0 Hartlepool

MK Dons 2 v 1 Charlton

Oldham 2 v 0 Gillingham

Southend 2 v 1 Yeovil

Stockport 1 v 1 Walsall

Wycombe 1 v 1 Huddersfield

Monday 5th April

Brentford 2 v 0 Exeter

Bristol Rovers 2 v 1 MK Dons

Charlton 2 v 0 Carlisle

Colchester 1 v 2 Millwall

Gillingham 2 v 0 Southend

Hartlepool 2 v 2 Brighton

Norwich 4 v 0 Stockport

Southampton 3 v 0 Leyton Orient

Swindon 3 v 0 Tranmere

Walsall 2 v 0 Wycombe

Yeovil 1 v 2 Leeds United

Tuesday 6th April

Huddersfield 2 v 0 Oldham

Saturday 10th April

Brentford 2 v 1 Huddersfield

Brighton 2 v 1 Carlisle

Colchester 1 v 2 Swindon

Exeter 2 v 1 Leyton Orient

Leeds United 2 v 0 Southend

Millwall 3 v 0 Gillingham

Norwich 3 v 0 MK Dons

Oldham 1 v 1 Bristol Rovers

Southampton 3 v 1 Charlton

Stockport 1 v 0 Yeovil

Walsall 2 v 1 Tranmere

Wycombe 2 v 1 Hartlepool

Tuesday 13th April

Bristol Rovers 1 v 2 Southampton

Carlisle 1 v 1 Leeds United

Charlton 2 v 1 Colchester

Gillingham 2 v 2 Brighton

Hartlepool 2 v 1 Stockport

Huddersfield 2 v 0 Walsall

Leyton Orient 1 v 3 Norwich

MK Dons 1 v 0 Oldham

Southend 0 v 1 Brentford

Tranmere 2 v 1 Wycombe

Yeovil 1 v 2 Millwall

Friday 16th April

Huddersfield 1 v 3 Millwall

Satuday 17th April

Bristol Rovers 1 v 1 Brentford

Carlisle 1 v 0 Oldham

Charlton 1 v 3 Norwich

Gillingham 1 v 1 Leeds United

Hartlepool 2 v 1 Colchester

Leyton Orient 1 v 0 Stockport

MK Dons 2 v 1 Wycombe

Southend 1 v 2 Brighton

Swindon 2 v 0 Walsall

Tranmere 3 v 2 Exeter

Yeovil 1 v 2 Southampton

Tuesday 20th April

Brentford 2 v 0 Tranmere

Southampton 3 v 0 Oldham

This would put us into the play-off spaces with 3 games still to go! Here's what the table would look like:

3gamestogo2010.jpg

Would be great if it happened !!! :)

I'll let you in on a bit of news. It isn't all doom and gloom if Saints don't get promoted this season. :)

There's plenty on here will tell you otherwise, in fact even if we did get promoted it would probably still be doom and gloom unless we signed at least 11 new players !!

My Predictions for next few games, assuming Saints win all five games (which I know is a big ask!):

Saturday 3rd April

MK Dons 2 v 1 Charlton

Oldham 2 v 0 Gillingham

Southend 2 v 1 Yeovil

Stockport 1 v 1 Walsall

Monday 5th April

Brentford 2 v 0 Exeter

Bristol Rovers 2 v 1 MK Dons

Charlton 2 v 0 Carlisle

Colchester 1 v 2 Millwall

Gillingham 2 v 0 Southend

Hartlepool 2 v 2 Brighton

Norwich 4 v 0 Stockport

Southampton 3 v 0 Leyton Orient

Swindon 3 v 0 Tranmere

Walsall 2 v 0 Wycombe

Yeovil 1 v 2 Leeds United

Tuesday 6th April

Huddersfield 2 v 0 Oldham

Saturday 10th April

Brentford 2 v 1 Huddersfield

Brighton 2 v 1 Carlisle

Colchester 1 v 2 Swindon

Exeter 2 v 1 Leyton Orient

Leeds United 2 v 0 Southend

Millwall 3 v 0 Gillingham

Norwich 3 v 0 MK Dons

Oldham 1 v 1 Bristol Rovers

Southampton 3 v 1 Charlton

Stockport 1 v 0 Yeovil

Walsall 2 v 1 Tranmere

Wycombe 2 v 1 Hartlepool

Tuesday 13th April

Bristol Rovers 1 v 2 Southampton

Carlisle 1 v 1 Leeds United

Charlton 2 v 1 Colchester

Gillingham 2 v 2 Brighton

Hartlepool 2 v 1 Stockport

Huddersfield 2 v 0 Walsall

Leyton Orient 1 v 3 Norwich

MK Dons 1 v 0 Oldham

Southend 0 v 1 Brentford

Tranmere 2 v 1 Wycombe

Yeovil 1 v 2 Millwall

Friday 16th April

Huddersfield 1 v 3 Millwall

Satuday 17th April

Bristol Rovers 1 v 1 Brentford

Carlisle 1 v 0 Oldham

Charlton 1 v 3 Norwich

Gillingham 1 v 1 Leeds United

Hartlepool 2 v 1 Colchester

Leyton Orient 1 v 0 Stockport

MK Dons 2 v 1 Wycombe

Southend 1 v 2 Brighton

Swindon 2 v 0 Walsall

Tranmere 3 v 2 Exeter

Yeovil 1 v 2 Southampton

Tuesday 20th April

Brentford 2 v 0 Tranmere

Southampton 3 v 0 Oldham

This would put us into the play-off spaces with 3 games still to go! Here's what the table would look like:

3gamestogo2010.jpg

Would be great if it happened !!! :)

Optimist ataeternitatis !!

There's plenty on here will tell you otherwise, in fact even if we did get promoted it would probably still be doom and gloom unless we signed at least 11 new players !!

strange how it pans out..

around september time, there were a few of us that hoped/expected the playoffs..only to be met with cries of being "unrealistic" "out of touch" and "we should be happy to survive relegation"

that somehow was not seen as negative..but now giving up on the playoffs (which ironically IS a realistic assumption) is now seen as negative..

odd

I thought after 1700+ posts you'd know how this board works ! Essentially there are those who indeed dare to dream ( often referred to as "happy clappers" ) and those who see only worst case scenarios ( "miserable old gits" ) . By and large the mogs are the most vocal and seem to love nothing better than if we lose though even if we win 5-1 there's almost always a moan about conceding one. The "happy clappers" try reasoning with the mogs but it doesn't work as you can't reason with stupidity.

Of course it is fine to be optimistic, anyone who says otherwise is purely and simply wrong. Conversely it's also Ok if you tend to look on the pessimistic side, however when you become obsessed with only posting negative stuff then there reaches a point when it's meaningless since there is no sense of perspective. However, the mogs will never concede any ground on this point and therefore for the most part their posts become unreasonable. Luckily the forum admin had the foresight to instal an "ignore" function on here and thank the Lord for that I say !

I thought after 1700+ posts you'd know how this board works ! Essentially there are those who indeed dare to dream ( often referred to as "happy clappers" ) and those who see only worst case scenarios ( "miserable old gits" )!

so, when those "dreamt" at the beginning of the season of the playoffs, they were not laughed at by most and called "unrealistic" and told that "we should be happy to just survive relegation"..? no, of course they were not..:smt101

but that was OK, that was fine...now the playoffs are over (all but done) anyone who says as such are now "miserable old gits"

strange how it pans out..

around september time, there were a few of us that hoped/expected the playoffs..only to be met with cries of being "unrealistic" "out of touch" and "we should be happy to survive relegation"

that somehow was not seen as negative..but now giving up on the playoffs (which ironically IS a realistic assumption) is now seen as negative..

odd

That's a fair point, I consider myself to be on the whole optimistic but I think our play off chances are remote so if the highly unlikely did happen it would be a major bonus. I'm just enjoying this season, as I see it there is no real pressure on us so we can just go out and see what develops but watch games in a relatively relaxed frame of mind.

That said if people want to continue to believe the play offs are within reach then I see no harm in that.

So merely stating that the play offs are out of reach is fine IMO, what I find irksome is the constant complaints, especially about Pardew, every time we fail to win.

Pardew will be judged on what we achieve next season, for me that should be automatic promotion. However, some people clearly believe he should go now, quite frankly that is just plain bonkers !

Edited by chrisobee

so, when those "dreamt" at the beginning of the season of the playoffs, they were not laughed at by most and called "unrealistic" and told that "we should be happy to just survive relegation"..? no, of course they were not..:smt101

but that was OK, that was fine...now the playoffs are over (all but done) anyone who says as such are now "miserable old gits"

No, I think my post above underlines where I stand !

Edit: And no I did not call those who dreamt of the play offs unrealistic, neither did I laugh at them.

Edited by chrisobee

Only when it becomes mathmatically imposible to reach the playoffs will i concede that the season is over.

Up until that time, i will continue to be optimistic.

Agreed.

And anyone who says different is a fecking liar and they know it.

They spout negative defeatist claptrap because they think it's the fashionable thing to do and marks them out as some sort of football illuminati.

In fact, they are dreamers and hopers like the rest of us.

Otherwise they wouldn't support THIS football club.

Agreed.

They spout negative defeatist claptrap because they think it's the fashionable thing to do and marks them out as some sort of football illuminati.

This is sooo true....

Agreed.

Sir,

You have summed things up perfectly.

After the disappointment of Brighton - the Colchester and to a lesser degree Bristol Rovers results went our way. We will see where we are after Monday's games

Edited by LostBoys
Intel inside idiot outside

I think some on here are allowing their betting slips to do their thinking . ;)

The record shows that even if we ignore the inconvenient fact of the points deduction we've still never really been good (or consistent) enough to deserve a top 6 place this season . To state this obvious truth is not to display some treachery to the club or disloyalty to the team , neither (I can assure you) is it some coded call for Alan Pardew's instant dismissal - it's just a simple statement of fact .

It may not quite be all over in the statistical sense , but this big girl has definitely been preparing for quite a while now for her end of season performance :

fat-lady.jpg

Agreed.

Of course I will be following all the results as I think to some extent getting to the play offs is not in our hands and hoping for the best but I have enjoyed this season in League 1 very much and have seen Saints win more than usual paying cheap ticket prices.

So I was looking forward to the same next season with loads of wins in League 1 and promotion so I wont be that disappointed if we did not get promoted in the next few weeks.

I'd rather have the points and a hard run in, compared to being 11 points behind, having a game in hand and have an "easy" run in.

Not ruling it out, but Colchester, Charlton and Huddersfield are certainly in the better position.

Check out their recent form though, it is not great, in particular Colchester, according to BBC stats they had around 56% possesion yesterday at Exeter, but went down 2-0, even Tranmere beat Norwich yesterday as well.

So it aint over till the fat lady sings, and I have to be optimistic and agree with Matthew Le God, that their is a chance and we have to go for it, of course those above us are in the better position. But I bet they are looking over the shoulder; as they have everything to lose, all Saints have to do is keep up that pressure.

I have always hoped for the play offs but secretly thought it would be just out of our reach...Still hoping for a miracle.

After the first game to Milwall and the squad we had at that time..I thought it would be a season of development...

It has been a great deal better than I ever hoped for.

Well done Saints..ML, NC, Pards and backroom staff.

You never know..

COYRs

If only derry would pass on some of his coaching skills to Pards...

Only joking derry...I know you luv the Saints really....

How many times have we escaped relegation in the past with a miracle?

Why not a mircale for the playoffs?

I was disappointed with the Brighton result... but they've been playing well recently and we may look back on that point as a good result come the end of the season

Think positive. Win Monday. Beat Charlton on Saturday and I suspect the result at Bristol will be the key to determining whether we can do it

What I do know is that...IF (and it's a big IF) we get there.... no one will want to play us because we will be on a roll

After the disappointment of Brighton - the Colchester and to a lesser degree Bristol City results went our way. We will see where we are after Monday's games

What do Bristol City have to do with us?

See the persecution complex is coming on well. As I see it at the start of the season there were a few people who thought that the playoffs were not only a realistic target but anything less would be a disappointment. Most people thought playoffs would be great and could be achieved but probably unlikely. Most people haven't adjusted their expectations and still see this as a pretty good season. It's only the ones who've repeatedly stamped their feet and moaned because we're not closer to the playoffs that have had to adjust their expectations and they have taken a bit of stick.

So to sum up; I'm not going to give you any credit for changing your opinion to one that thinks the playoffs are unlikely - most of us thought that at the start of the season.

Saturday 3rd April

MK Dons 2 v 1 Charlton

Oldham 2 v 0 Gillingham

Southend 2 v 1 Yeovil

Stockport 1 v 1 Walsall

It is not easy being objective in predicting scores is it

Win our game in hand and we are just 8 points away.

On monday we have Orient while Colchester have Millwall and Huddersfield have an improving Oldham.

Meaning if we win our game on monday and they lose, then we win our game in hand (which is at home to Oldham) then we could be 5 points away with 6 games to play.

What a difference a couple of games can make hey.

Also based on last 8 form we sit 3rd

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/oform.html

With all the doom merchants on here you would think we are in **** form!

Win our game in hand and we are just 8 points away.

On monday we have Orient while Colchester have Millwall and Huddersfield have an improving Oldham.

Meaning if we win our game on monday and they lose, then we win our game in hand (which is at home to Oldham) then we could be 5 points away with 6 games to play.

What a difference a couple of games can make hey.

Also based on last 8 form we sit 3rd

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/oform.html

With all the doom merchants on here you would think we are in **** form!

Look mate it`s obvious for all to see,they simply must have something to moan about or their lives are not complete...sad really

[/b]

Look mate it`s obvious for all to see,they simply must have something to moan about or their lives are not complete...sad really

didnt you moan around september time when I said we could and probably should make the playoffs..

yes, you probably did

didnt you moan around september time when I said we could and probably should make the playoffs..

yes, you probably did

There is a difference between should and would.

I thought we should have done better in the first few games

again..how times change from the likes of you saying we should be lucky to survive..

Based on our team after our 1st game of the season we would have gone down.

If you think Patterson or Saga were going to bag 30+ goals to put us where we are now then you are loco. Of the squad who started that game only 2 outfield players remain.

So yes times change. They changed after we started bringing in players who actually are decent players, players who actually want to work as a team and players who were brought in by our current manager.

Without those players we in my opinion would of gone down. It was only people such as you who expected that old team to get promoted. I guess we are lucky that the staff at the club did not share your belief in their ability hey.

yes, you probably did

Jesus is there ever a minute in the day when you don't dwell on what someone may have posted on saintsweb once?

Didn't you around september leave your computer chair ? I said you wouldn't again, that was me who said that me!

yes, you probably did

Can`t remember tbh but feel free to have a look.

When you have the info put it on here.

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

look..the playoffs were dead and buried and we had no chance here..(around the time I and others were laughed at for saying we could do it)

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16297

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16322

All this talk of play-offs when we are bottom of League 1 is ******* embarrassing, Some of our fans are cringeworthy. IMO survival will be an achievement, we started on -10 FFS.

last six games we have made 5 points up on huddersfield and 7 points on colchester. with one game in hand and our better goal difference it is not over yet....... Very unlikely but definately not over. Really think we have to win every game to stand an outside chance.......

look..the playoffs were dead and buried and we had no chance here..(around the time I and others were laughed at for saying we could do it)

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16297

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16322

interesting.

so tbh we're ''exceeding'' many peoples expectations, but some still moan.

''FWIW i can see us comfortably mid-table, we've left it too late to mount any playoff push but i expect a strong end to the season where our team (which is better than 90% in this league) actually starts winning games on a regular basis.

I expect us to then kick on next season and win the damn thing, the expectation should be nothing less.''

;) wise words once said.