Pardews real record

dune

This thread is absurd, really.

But still irresistible.

Just want to throw in my 2p's worth.

1. There's an obsession with the play-offs. The term seems to have become synonymous with promotion. They are not the same thing. Even if we make/made the play-offs we would probably not be promoted. So, I think the important question is whether you expect us to be PROMOTED this season. If we make the play-offs, but then lose home and away to e.g. Swindon is that an acceptable season or not?

2. In my view, the team and club were so broken at the start of the season that we effectively started with a 15 or 20 point penalty. Pardew has constructed a team from scratch basically. Had the takeover happened in May or June, this may have been different. But it didn't. Our best starting XI (today's) only includes 3 players who were at the club in July (Kelvin, Lallana and Schneiderlin). Our subs bench is also full of new arrivals (Connolly, Antonio, Papa, Seabourne)

3. We've been unlucky that the top six or seven teams have broken away so clearly. This is partly our fault - e.g. giving up 4 points to Colchester and 6 to Swindon. But mainly it's bad luck. The points total needed for the play-offs this year is going to be on the high side, when we needed it to be on the low side.

4. We have been slightly disappointing in the League this season, in my view. Not awful. Not abysmal. But just a tad worse than I expected. Our record against the better teams is a bit disappointing. I'd have expected us to be on about 60-62 points now, not 57. Those few points may yet make the difference between being in the play-offs and not. So be it.

5. Pardew's signings have been immense. And our record in the cups (FA and CC, not just JPT) is impressive. We should - with maybe one or two squad additions - be looking to win the League next season with some room to spare. Pardew should be judged on our League position in Jan 2011. Failure to get promoted next season is a sacking offence. Second guessing now that he isn't the man for the job is just fan w*nk.

Pardews real record this season (with the two penalty wins from the JPT counted as DRAWS ;)):

Wins	Draws	Losses	F	A
[b]Total	27	15	10	98	59[/b]
FL1	18	13	8	71	41
LGCP	1	0	1	3	2
FACP	4	0	1	10	9
JPT	6	0	0	14	7

Look, if we drew those games how come we have a pot in the trophy cabinet??

Corrected for you, muppet. ;)

Just for the pseudo feckwits who get distracted by a piece of shiny paper.

This season is over, it's all about next season and the ability to deliver automatic promotion form. And if things are not going well in the league, a penalty shoot out in the JPT is no conciliation. If players are not rested in the cup games for the league and we suffer as a result, then what alternative is there? If I hear one reference to how we are JPT champions and the need to defend our trophy, it's time to Bryan Gunn him.

Pardew deserves a chance, not a carte blanche endorsement.

And that's all those of us who support him want him to be given.

He was told he would be judged on eighteen months. That's what he should be judged on.

But so far, he's doing ok.

And we can still get promoted, in fact it got a bit more likely yesterday. Long shot still, but by my reckoning we're now a 16/1 chance not a 33/1 chance...

Look, if we drew those games how come we have a pot in the trophy cabinet??

Corrected for you, muppet. ;)

You forgot to change the number of wins/draws in the "total" row... Maybe I can add a row called "penalty shootouts" where we have 2 wins from 2 ;)

Anyway the point was that we win a lot of games, draw a bit too many and lose quite few. In the process we manage to score loads of goals. I love it.

You forgot to change the number of wins/draws in the "total" row... Maybe I can add a row called "penalty shootouts" where we have 2 wins from 2 ;)

Anyway the point was that we win a lot of games, draw a bit too many and lose quite few. In the process we manage to score loads of goals. I love it.

We draw too many, but two fewer than you claimed! ;)

People saying Pardew should be gone because of his record this season, are just looking for somethng to moan about IMO. The past 4-5 years have ingrained an attitude of ''theres always something wrong with my club, so I'm gonna make sure I find something to moan about''.

We could walk the PL and people would still moan about the way we'd play football. Remember during Arsenal's title winning seasons? Some of their fans complained about them trying to always pass the ball into the net and trying to score the perfect goal.

We can't win every week, but anyone finding fault with this season is deluded.

To people saying the cup games were draws etc..

Surely the rules of the match are "there has to be a winner" and if that is not done in normal time a penalty shoot out is used to stop it from being a draw?

It really is quite simple. If the match ended after 90mins and the score was level it is a draw. If the match ended after penalties and one side scored more then the other then one is the winner.

Our cup games we "won" via penalties. Thus they are wins. There really is no argument against it.

To people saying the cup games were draws etc..

Surely the rules of the match are "there has to be a winner" and if that is not done in normal time a penalty shoot out is used to stop it from being a draw?

It really is quite simple. If the match ended after 90mins and the score was level it is a draw. If the match ended after penalties and one side scored more then the other then one is the winner.

Our cup games we "won" via penalties. Thus they are wins. There really is no argument against it.

When you have the majority of games just played over 90 minutes, you either exclude all other games or base them on their 90 minute result to gain anywhere near a viable comparison. There are other factors to include such as fielding weaken teams for certain games and their subsequent effects. Bearing in mind we hardly weakened in cups I don't see the problem with including them or excluding them if you wish. Trying to include the result because of a penalty shoot out is very simple.

People saying Pardew should be gone because of his record this season, are just looking for somethng to moan about IMO. The past 4-5 years have ingrained an attitude of ''theres always something wrong with my club, so I'm gonna make sure I find something to moan about''.

We could walk the PL and people would still moan about the way we'd play football. Remember during Arsenal's title winning seasons? Some of their fans complained about them trying to always pass the ball into the net and trying to score the perfect goal.

We can't win every week, but anyone finding fault with this season is deluded.

I think they would rather go back to the good old days of the management merry go round which was overseen by he who shall not be named*. I like most do like to have a moan about certain performances but over the course of this season I've had far more to enthuse about.

Pardew is building from the ground up and as such needs and deserves at least 18 months.

*Be careful of what you wish for.

It is interesting that on Oct 1st (after over 2 months of the season) we had a poll on "Where we would finish this season" with the following results :-

1st, top place, Champions of League One........ clear.gif 10 1.31%

1st or 2nd, auto-promotion, good stuff.......... clear.gif 1 0.13%

3rd-6th Play-off position......................clear.gif 148 19.40%

7th-9th, just missed out!......................clear.gif 137 17.96%

10th-12th, top middle..........................clear.gif 147 19.27%

13th-15th, mid-table .........................clear.gif. 135 17.69%

16th-18th, lower middle ....................... 104 13.63%

19 or 20th, just staying up!.................... 50 6.55%

21st-24th, relegated, any of the bottom 4 places 23 3.01%

24th, stuck at the bottom, terrible............. clear.gif 8 1.05%

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16984

So only 20.84% of Saints fans thought we would be higher than 7th-9th i.e. 1 in 5 fans.

As you can see I voted for "mid-table" because even then I could see we had issues that would take more than this season to address.

An Example: when the opposition play 4-5-1 against us, we either get out numbered in central midfield 3 to 2 if we play 4-4-2 (Swindon home lose, Orient - poor game), or if AP matches up and plays 4-5-1 we sometimes don't get players up to support RL (examples - Wembley we did, Brighton we didn't).

I am general happy with AP but I wish he would CONSIDER getting his wide midfield players to tuck-in when playing against 4-5-1 and then getting the fullbacks to provide the width, not unlike wGS use of Chris M with Wayne overlapping.

However, from what I remember AP never has, he always liked his wide players to stay wide.

(end of example of an issue that will take time to address).

By the way in the Poll thread, don't worry saint_stevo your quote

Relegation places. My honest opinion currently

will not happen.

That is a very revealing poll Saint John. We will in fact exceed most peoples expectations from 6 months ago.

It is interesting that on Oct 1st (after over 2 months of the season) we had a poll on "Where we would finish this season" with the following results :-

1st, top place, Champions of League One........ clear.gif 10 1.31%

1st or 2nd, auto-promotion, good stuff.......... clear.gif 1 0.13%

3rd-6th Play-off position......................clear.gif 148 19.40%

7th-9th, just missed out!......................clear.gif 137 17.96%

10th-12th, top middle..........................clear.gif 147 19.27%

13th-15th, mid-table .........................clear.gif. 135 17.69%

16th-18th, lower middle ....................... 104 13.63%

19 or 20th, just staying up!.................... 50 6.55%

21st-24th, relegated, any of the bottom 4 places 23 3.01%

24th, stuck at the bottom, terrible............. clear.gif 8 1.05%

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16984

So only 20.84% of Saints fans thought we would be higher than 7th-9th i.e. 1 in 5 fans.

As you can see I voted for "mid-table" because even then I could see we had issues that would take more than this season to address.

An Example: when the opposition play 4-5-1 against us, we either get out numbered in central midfield 3 to 2 if we play 4-4-2 (Swindon home lose, Orient - poor game), or if AP matches up and plays 4-5-1 we sometimes don't get players up to support RL (examples - Wembley we did, Brighton we didn't).

I am general happy with AP but I wish he would CONSIDER getting his wide midfield players to tuck-in when playing against 4-5-1 and then getting the fullbacks to provide the width, not unlike wGS use of Chris M with Wayne overlapping.

However, from what I remember AP never has, he always liked his wide players to stay wide.

(end of example of an issue that will take time to address).

By the way in the Poll thread, don't worry saint_stevo your quote

will not happen.

I agreed with Cortese's comment a few weeks back that given the resources and the quality of players recruited, the team should have done better, however, not being propmoted this year could be a very good thing. It has been a season of massive change but one when fans have become accustomed to expect to win games, certainly at home as well as some good results away. Close season is an opportunity to reduce the squad by moving out a some older players who are in decline and some younger ones who will not reach the level Saints should now expect, whilst bringing in one or two more of established quality. The target next season should not be the playoffs, or even automatic promotion, but should unquestionably be the League One title. Thats not just to get another pot to go in the cabinet, nice as that would be, but because the promoted squad needs to be good enough to be the basis of a team that will go on to have a real impact in the n-power championship the following season. For a 5-year plan to return to the Prem next season's team shaping is crucial.

Quote ,,, I am general happy with AP but I wish he would CONSIDER getting his wide midfield players to tuck-in when playing against 4-5-1 and then getting the fullbacks to provide the width, not unlike wGS use of Chris M with Wayne overlapping. unquote

The problem under WGS was that we never got anyone in the box in any game, that is one of the reasons we had such a good defensive record, we never broke our defensive shape.

As you point out, at Wembley we constantly had numbers in the box. The quality of players might not be as good as under WGS but it is a lot more exciting.

I agreed with Cortese's comment a few weeks back that given the resources and the quality of players recruited, the team should have done better, however, not being propmoted this year could be a very good thing. It has been a season of massive change but one when fans have become accustomed to expect to win games, certainly at home as well as some good results away. Close season is an opportunity to reduce the squad by moving out a some older players who are in decline and some younger ones who will not reach the level Saints should now expect, whilst bringing in one or two more of established quality. The target next season should not be the playoffs, or even automatic promotion, but should unquestionably be the League One title. Thats not just to get another pot to go in the cabinet, nice as that would be, but because the promoted squad needs to be good enough to be the basis of a team that will go on to have a real impact in the n-power championship the following season. For a 5-year plan to return to the Prem next season's team shaping is crucial.

Spot on, agree with that. (apart from the team not doing better this season - i think they've done as well as i'd expected)

Slugging it out in a race for a playoff place next season will not be good enough though.

but i think there are enough signs to suggest that we'll be pushing for the title all next season.

When we were 9 points adrift of playoffs back in December, but we had a lot more teams between us compared to now. With so many teams between us it only takes us to have a slip up a few times and there will be one or more teams who don't and the gap widens very quickly.

It takes a lot longer to claw those points back because even if 6th place slips up, teams in 7th,8th or 9th will take up the pace.

Now there are less teams between us and 6th, I think you will see that point gap close a lot quicker.

Just as a matter of interest, who was the 6th placed team back then ?

In comparison to Paul Lambert he has not distinguished himself that's for sure.

The problem for fans 'though is placing his 'failure' into context. Compared to what came before - since in fact Strachan buggered off - the stability that Pardew has brought has been very welcome and for many fans just stabilising the ship has been a achievement enough for this year.

But... memories are short and the more you succeed the greater you raise expectations and this is where he has failed in my view.

He has consistently and disingenuously promised us a team with a winning mentality, that we are 'probably' the best team in the league; that the play-offs are achievable when he knows better than most that none of this has been true.

We have been at best this season a better than average side for this division that, until one or two matches recently, struggled all season to beat anybody in the top half of the league.

Better had he kept his powder dry and not promised what could not be delivered; a guarantor of turning people against you.

So like many including NC, I end up feeling disappointed with the season when in fairness to our recent history we should be feeling delighted that we have made first base in pretty good shape and we can springboard for there.

Having oversold - for whatever reasons - the team that he has offered us this season it remains to be seen whether AP will be trusted enough to allow him the extra investment (and time) to build a team for next season that would indeed fulfill the promises he has made.

Now we know that our team needs at least 5 players and maybe 8 to become the upwardly mobile Unbeatable's that he envisages, let's say i will not be betting our house on it.

The fact is weve just drawn too many away games. Weve been distracted by 10 cup games. He just wanted the club to have a good season. If we end up just out of the play offs and with the JPT win, then I for one wont be spitting feathers.

Next season is different. If were not in the top two by Xmas, he's out, and then we'll bring in another quality manager to get us up. I think we'll dominate this league like Newcastle did in the CCC this year and like Fulham did when Keegan got them out of this league.

League table after Boxing Day games (Closest point we got - 7pts).

1   Leeds United	22	16	5	1	+30	53		
2   Charlton Athletic	23	13	8	2	+19	47		
3   Norwich City	23	13	6	4	+23	45		
4   Colchester United	22	12	6	4	+17	42		
5   Milton Keynes Dons	23	11	3	9	+1	36		
6   Huddersfield Town   22      10	5	7	+17	35		
7   Swindon Town	21	9	8	4	0	35		
8   Bristol Rovers	22	11	1	10	-2	34		
9   Millwall	        23	8	9	6	+5	33		
10  Walsall	        22	8	7	7	+3	31		
11  Brentford	        23	7	8	8       -4    	29		
12  Southampton	        23	10	8	5	+14	28

Since then Leeds have played 18 gained 9 on G/D and 21pts = 1.17 pts per game

Charlton 17, 2 and 27 = 1.59

Norwich 17, 16 and 40 = 2.35

Colchester 18, -5 and 23 = 1.28

MK Dons 17, -4 and 21 = 1.24

Huddersfield 18, 3 and 33 = 1.83

Swindon 19, 19 and 41 = 2.16

B Rovers 18, 1 and 27 = 1.5

Millwall 17, 24 and 42 = 2.47

Walsall 18, -9 and 20 = 1.11

Brentford 16, 4 and 23 = 1.44

Saints 16, 16 and 29 = 1.81

Edited by krissyboy31

Pardew is an experienced manager. He knows what he needs to do and is quite obvioulsy getting there. sadly not as fast as some would like, or is probably possible given the way that transfer windows work.

I don't buy this "distracted by cups" line. Many teams have good cup runs when they are also fighting to win their leagues and you don't hear them complaining. Personally I think the more successful your are in more competitions the better for all involved in the club.

I just hope that Pardew doesn't read these threads. I don't think that any reasonable fan can complain at the overall job he has done whilst here. We are competitive again, have actually won something at Wembley and I have no doubt that we shall be one of the teams to beat next year. TP spend time judging him on next season before we have finsished this is a bit harsh isn't it?

After the manager merry go rounds we have had I find it very odd that some now have decided he should go at some point next season before his team have kicked a ball if we aren't home and dry by Christmas.

Surely from what he has done so far he deserves better than that?

League table after Boxing Day games (Closest point we got - 7pts).

1   Leeds United	22	16	5	1	+30	53		
2   Charlton Athletic	23	13	8	2	+19	47		
3   Norwich City	23	13	6	4	+23	45		
4   Colchester United	22	12	6	4	+17	42		
5   Milton Keynes Dons	23	11	3	9	+1	36		
6   Huddersfield Town   22      10	5	7	+17	35		
7   Swindon Town	21	9	8	4	0	35		
8   Bristol Rovers	22	11	1	10	-2	34		
9   Millwall	        23	8	9	6	+5	33		
10  Walsall	        22	8	7	7	+3	31		
11  Brentford	        23	7	8	8       -4    	29		
12  Southampton	        23	10	8	5	+14	28

It may have been seven but Swindon and Huddersfield had games in hand

Unbelievable....

I posted on another similar thread about a week ago, if you look at our progress since the end of October (10 games into the season, we'd just lost to Bristol Rovers) we have then taken 55 points from our league games. Only Norwich (69) and Millwall (60) have taken more with Swindon matching us on 55 points.

But Pardew has also taken us to Wembley in the JPT final and to the 5th round of the FA Cup where we gave a PL side a real scare.

Yes, there are games that we probably should have won - Brentford, Wycombe and Tranmere are game where we should have done better but overall Pardew has done better than most of us expected.

But one question - if we were only 7 points from the playoffs after boxing day - did Pardew affect our chances by making so many signings in January and then having to bed them in? What he has done is now give us team capable of challenging for the title next year.

On the 5th December we were 9 points off the playoffs.

Today we are 11 points off the playoffs.

You can say what you like but the table doesn't lie and Pardew has not performed over the past 4 months.

To be worse off now than we were back in December is not good enough.

Sorry, but one of the greatest failures of Rupert Lowe was failing to keep or give managers a chance over a decent period - for me that period has always been 5-6 seasons. It is a large part of the reason we are where we are.

At the start of this season we were heading for Div 2 with a team full of kids and a rather strange Dutch manager. We now have an impressive piece of silver wear, the top manager in the league, the best players in the league and look to finish just outside the playoffs, when I for one expected a further relegation or at best JUST surviving. My - realistic - expectations were to hope we might, just might finish mid-table with a new manager and an owner who cared. We will surpass that, and in style with a Wembley win.

Alan Pardew is employed to get us back into the Premiership in 5 years. Year one is rebuild. Year 2 is promotion to the CCC. Year 3-4 CCC rebuilding and progression and year 5 is Premier League all over again.

In 5 years time I will ask for his head if we're not knocking on the door of the Premiership or in it. Until then, in Alan Pardew I trust.

a couple of Pardew's quotes from last July that have stuck in my head for the season.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~1729716,00.html

"I'm not going to come in and make a million changes so we'll do things nice and steady and hopefully we can get rid of the minus ten quickly and around Christmas time I'd like to think we could be somewhere near the middle then go on from there."
I think the problem was bigger than Pardew realised but we were still mid table by christmas. he wobbled a little & NC gave him a reminder that expectations were fairly high, especially after the January signings & now we are p*ssin distance from the playoffs. If we manage to sneak into them on the last day I think we will win promotion.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~1726620,00.html

".... the fans are desperate for a winning team. "We're far from that and we need to get that winning habit back,"
It might only be the JPT but he brought Silverware to St Mary's, gave Saints fans a day out in Wembley, had 2 good cup runs, and an decent* season in the League. Not bad when some on here were predicting a Relegation battle.

If we don't make the playoffs this season, at least we are no longer a selling club and will hold onto the majority of our/Pard's squad, ready for an assault next season.

Edited by westofshannonsaint
all things considered, I edited it from an OKish season.

It might only be the JPT but he brought Silverware to St Mary's, gave Saints fans a day out in Wembley, had 2 good cup runs, and an decent* season in the League. Not bad when some on here were predicting a Relegation battle.

If we don't make the playoffs this season, at least we are no longer a selling club and will hold onto the majority of our/Pard's squad, ready for an assault next season.

As Cortese pointed out, we won't go looking to sell players, but if a player wants to move, there is very little you can do about it. The longer we are in League 1, the more likely that is going to happen.

At the end of the season, we will have the play off's for the Premier at Wembley. If we get agonising close to that position you will then have fans realising the possibility of giving up one Wembley appearance for another. With the resulting "I want that one" and the **** storm to accompany.

On the 5th December we were 9 points off the playoffs.

Today we are 11 points off the playoffs.

You can say what you like but the table doesn't lie and Pardew has not performed over the past 4 months.

To be worse off now than we were back in December is not good enough.

On the 5th December we were 9 points off the playoffs. Huddersfield had a game in hand so potentially as many as 12.

Today we are 8 points off the playoffs. With a game in hand potentially as few as 5.

You can say what you like but the table doesn't lie and Pardew has not performed well over the past four months.

To have narrowed the gap, and potentially halving it is not good enough. Plus that day at Wmbley was the lowest point any of us have had as saints fans.

Tool.

On the 5th December we were 9 points off the playoffs. Huddersfield had a game in hand so potentially as many as 12.

Today we are 8 points off the playoffs. With a game in hand potentially as few as 5.

You can say what you like but the table doesn't lie and Pardew has not performed well over the past four months.

To have narrowed the gap, and potentially halving it is not good enough. Plus that day at Wmbley was the lowest point any of us have had as saints fans.

Tool.

I'm not having that. We have performed as well, and perhaps better, than ALL the other teams that are now, or have been, in the playoffs. What were you expecting? That we should win all our games?

I'm not having that. We have performed as well, and perhaps better, than ALL the other teams that are now, or have been, in the playoffs. What were you expecting? That we should win all our games?

I think the above is an example of what ****s like me in Management Consulting call "violent agreement". Whitey, he was being sarcastic.

I'd like to echo the earlier caller: "you're all a bunch of moaning fannies"

Real performance or not Saints do look a better team to me and I would rather Pards is still with us as he has built the team and we need to keep the same team for a while. Look at the likes of Swindon, Huddersfield and Colchester I bet they stick with their team and Manager.

We know what changing managers does and we dont want another relegation. I think we just need a full season with the players and Pards and we are only 8 ponts off play offs so can be done!!!

I think the above is an example of what ****s like me in Management Consulting call "violent agreement". Whitey, he was being sarcastic.

I'm glad you said that - I thought it was me form a second.

And some of you are a bunch of moaning fannies. Take a snap-shot after a poor result and use your 'lies, damn lies and statistics' to make things look as bad as you want (and who knows you might gat another chance if we don't win on Tuesday), and wallow in your self-created misery if you want.

Personally, I'd rather focus on what Pardew (and our owner) have done to completely turn our club around. We have a new team, a winning mentality, and all the hope, excitement and enjoyment that go with it. On our day we can beat anyone in this league (Norwich will walk it and we played them off the park at theris), we had an unforgettable day at Wembley, and to still be in with an outside chance of the playoffs is way beyond most people's expectations for the season.

We might still be in League 1 next season, and we might have had a few disappointing results, and no doubt will next season as well, but that's football. What matters is the driection we're moving in - after 6 years on a downward spiral, the investment, results and atmosphere around the club prove that we're back on the way up. It won't happen overnight, but I'd rather enjoy the ride than whinge every time we have a slip.

Then I most humbly apologise, especially to Chewy. I'm not at my best when I've just woken up, which is no excuse really. Let's all just wallow in the glory of yesterday and the hope and expectation of 6 straight wins and a place in the playoffs. :)

Wins	Draws	Losses	F	A
Total	29	15	10	104	60
FL1	18	13	8	71	41
LGCP	1	0	1	3	2
FACP	4	0	1	10	9
JPT	4	2	0	14	7

Something wrong in the maths there! If the stats are correct, it's 27 wins, 15 draws and 10 defeats. Goals for 98, against 59. Good set of stats, all the same!

I paid my money, been to most home games and come away from the stadium having been thoroughly entertained and please with what I have seen many more times than I have been disappointed. Even had an unexpected great day out at Wembley.

Where are we now? In a far better position than I could have imagined previously. Am I happy with our progress? Of course I am.

Everybody has their option to voice their thoughts, even if they are wrong:D

Something wrong in the maths there! If the stats are correct, it's 27 wins, 15 draws and 10 defeats. Goals for 98, against 59. Good set of stats, all the same!

Whoops, you're absolutely right! The "total" was correct, but the FL1 stats were missing the last two games. Ta! :)

I know this is a bit off topic but i am too stingy to pay the money to start a thread.

Why do people keep going on to other teams forums just to start arguements. Is this the only way to feel big and clever when you know that the other guys can only answer with words. I was just reading the huddersfield forum (had to register but just to read their views) and we sound like a right bunch of c**ks to them.

Come on lads, cant we be a bit more mature than that!

When you have the majority of games just played over 90 minutes, you either exclude all other games or base them on their 90 minute result to gain anywhere near a viable comparison. There are other factors to include such as fielding weaken teams for certain games and their subsequent effects. Bearing in mind we hardly weakened in cups I don't see the problem with including them or excluding them if you wish. Trying to include the result because of a penalty shoot out is very simple.

I'm sorry but that is just silly, it has nothing to do with including things such as weakened teams etc...

It really is simple. A cup game that cannot be a draw has to have a winner. That means it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a draw. If it was the game would end and the two teams would go home. But the rules are there MUST be a WINNER. Rather then playing until next year penalties are the method used to find that WINNER and LOSER. On each of the shoot-outs we scored more goals and saved more shots thus we were the WINNER. The history books and stat books will show those results as Saints WON on penalties. Not Saints DREW over 90mins.

By that logic that is like saying France drew the world cup....

That is just dumb.

I'm sorry but that is just silly, it has nothing to do with including things such as weakened teams etc...

It really is simple. A cup game that cannot be a draw has to have a winner. That means it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a draw. If it was the game would end and the two teams would go home. But the rules are there MUST be a WINNER. Rather then playing until next year penalties are the method used to find that WINNER and LOSER. On each of the shoot-outs we scored more goals and saved more shots thus we were the WINNER. The history books and stat books will show those results as Saints WON on penalties. Not Saints DREW over 90mins.

That is just dumb.

Significantly less dumb than trying to claim a draw in 90 minutes is a win, when the win was in a penalty shoot out after the match was drawn.

Just for the record France have never won the World Cup final on penalties either. Brazil did, in 1994, and Italy in 2006 (which I'd actually forgotten).

Edited by The9
I'd actually forgotten. :O)

• 2 weeks later...
think there should have been a '2' in the league cup wins column

Really? I see a win over Northampton and a defeat at the hands of Birmingham... What did I miss? :o

Here are the updated stats:

Played	Wins	Draws	Losses	F	A	Pts/g	F (av.)	A (av.)
[b]Total	57	33	14	10	108	62	1,98	1,89	1,09[/b]
FL1	44	22	14	8	81	44	1,82	1,84	1,00
LGCP	2	1	0	1	3	2	1,50	1,50	1,00
FACP	5	4	0	1	10	9	2,40	2,00	1,80
JPT	6	6	0	0	14	7	3,00	2,33	1,17

We have failed to score in only 6 of our 57 games - three 0-0 draws and three 0-1 defeats! On the other hand we have kept (only?) 16 clean sheets... This list shows the frequency of different results from our 57 games:

1-1	8
3-1	7
1-0	6
2-2	5
2-0	4
3-2	4
0-1	3
0-0	3
1-2	3
2-1	3
1-3	2
3-0	2
4-1	2
5-1	2
1-4	1
2-3	1
5-0	1

That is just dumb.

History books show the match was a draw, the tie was won on penalties.

That's why the penalties aren't added onto the goal tally at the end of the game because they are not part of the match, they are a mechanism to settle the tie.

That's why the result of the match is not 7-5 or whatever, but 1-1 or 2-2, with the shootout listed seperately.

That's why goals scored in penalty shoot outs don't count on players' tallies for the season. Because they don't count as part of the match, just to settle the tie.

So your argument that "we scored more goals and saved more shots" is just factually wrong. We didn't, because penalties scored in a shoot out are not "goals", they are converted penalties. Even commentators acknowledge this - you never hear them say "he's scored a goal" in a shootout.

Those cup games were drawn games.

Really? I see a win over Northampton and a defeat at the hands of Birmingham... What did I miss? :o

Here are the updated stats:

Played	Wins	Draws	Losses	F	A	Pts/g	F (av.)	A (av.)
[b]Total	57	33	14	10	108	62	1,98	1,89	1,09[/b]
FL1	44	22	14	8	81	44	1,82	1,84	1,00
LGCP	2	1	0	1	3	2	1,50	1,50	1,00
FACP	5	4	0	1	10	9	2,40	2,00	1,80
JPT	6	6	0	0	14	7	3,00	2,33	1,17

We have failed to score in only 6 of our 57 games - three 0-0 draws and three 0-1 defeats! On the other hand we have kept (only?) 16 clean sheets... This list shows the frequency of different results from our 57 games:

1-1	8
3-1	7
1-0	6
2-2	5
2-0	4
3-2	4
0-1	3
0-0	3
1-2	3
2-1	3
1-3	2
3-0	2
4-1	2
5-1	2
1-4	1
2-3	1
5-0	1

I love the fact that 3-1 is our second most frequent score. Stick that in your negative manager pipes and smoke it!