Pardews real record

dune

You call people like him deluded but moan if someone says the same about you or the people like you who trust Pardew utterly.

I never said I trusted Pardew utterly. Just that I'm not going to jump on his back because I believe he is doing a good job. He deserves at least 18 months to prove himself and I'm happy to let things play out as they are.

I at no time have asked for Pardew to be removed. I would though, like to see him try attacking teams with our firepower in a way that suits our team better. I have followed our team since the days of Derek Reeves and have enjoyed(?) the ups and downs of life as a Saints fan.

I think the length of time supporting Saints isn't relevant to any opinion you or I state. We all know the ups and downs, and I feel at the moment we are on the up. I'm as entitled to that opinion as you are to yours.

I will still say what I feel and if you don't like it too bad.

I have no problem with you saying as you feel. Why on earth would I? My problem is here is the manipulation of statistics to prove a point and the ignoring of equally valid (or invalid) statistics when they don't suit your argument (Not you... the royal you... Dune to be exact actually)

I believe Alan Pardew has cost us points through his choice of players and poor substitutions. Alan is, unless you know different, like you(?) and me a human being. We all make mistakes and being in the spotlight as he is he will know where he stands. He is no more perfect than us just better informed, we are supposed to believe.

Yes, I am most definitely human. I find it strange that you'd think I was some kind of machine or highly intelligent cat with opposable digits. I'm sure AP has made mistakes, we all have. But he's also got a lot of things right, and I think this club is going in the right direction under him. If at Christmas next season we are still in the same situation as we are now, by all means let everyone call for his head. But right now is not the time to do it. (And yes, I know you haven't called for it. I'm making a general point)

Nickh you talked disparagingly about me earlier as though you know me. I am not in your incrowd any more than you are in mine. You know absolutely nothing about me and I like it that way. So do not make a throw away remark about me unless you know me. Call me stupid or dumb for my beliefs as is the norm but do not say I have or have not done something when you do not know me.

I didn't see NickH making disparaging comments about you. If he did, he's a ****. But please don't paint everyone who disagrees with you with the same brush. If you don't like what we have to say... in your own words... too bad. Just because he got personal with you, doesn't mean the rest of us are.

You call people like him deluded but moan if someone says the same about you or the people like you who trust Pardew utterly.

I at no time have asked for Pardew to be removed. I would though, like to see him try attacking teams with our firepower in a way that suits our team better. I have followed our team since the days of Derek Reeves and have enjoyed(?) the ups and downs of life as a Saints fan.

I will still say what I feel and if you don't like it too bad.

I believe Alan Pardew has cost us points through his choice of players and poor substitutions. Alan is, unless you know different, like you(?) and me a human being. We all make mistakes and being in the spotlight as he is he will know where he stands. He is no more perfect than us just better informed, we are supposed to believe.

Nickh you talked disparagingly about me earlier as though you know me. I am not in your incrowd any more than you are in mine. You know absolutely nothing about me and I like it that way. So do not make a throw away remark about me unless you know me. Call me stupid or dumb for my beliefs as is the norm but do not say I have or have not done something when you do not know me.

Got some examples, I've not been to every match but the ones I've been to I can't think of any where I thought he was playing the wrong player by choice. Wotton is a bugbear of mine but I'd rather have him than Gillet and Wotton only gets a shout if AP has no choice, James is no RB but there weren't to many other options at the time. Subs I've seen some good ones Conolly and Antonio against the Dons at home, Antonio against Ipswich spring to mind. Even in the dire home game against Swindon I could see what he was trying to do with the subs. AP isn't perfect as you say but I feel he has got more right than wrong this year.

For the initial 6 games i think it's reasonable to expect a MINIMUM (that means more woould be nice) of 11 points. As for your other comment i've ignored the name calling from you up unitl now, but i cannot ignore your final comment. Can you justify this "piggy backing on other peoples opinions" remark as i've not got the fogiest what you're on about.

Yes, I can. In the Brighton Match Thread you didn't critisie Pardew once for playing 4-5-1. There were plenty of people during the match doing exactly that, but you only seem to start once the final whistle was blown and we hadn't won. Hindsight and all that. I would imagine that if you really felt so strongly about that and the performances you wouldn't have been saying things like "saints getting on top now, get a goal before h/t and we'll be ok", you'd have been wondering why the hell Barnard didn't start in a 4-4-2. Even after our equaliser you didn't suggest changing to 4-4-2, you said "we need h/t now, regroup then go for it 2nd half". If it was such an obviously crime that we shouldn't have played 4-5-1 surely you should have realised it then. Or is it only obvious to you after we didn't have 3 points at the final whistle, and after a 1/2 dozen other people mentioned it.

It seems to go from one extreme to the other. They scored and you said "They were murdering us". There is no middle ground.

The problem with this attitude of "Success right now or get rid of him" and this isn't specifically aimed at you Dune, is that a lot of fans have delusions of grandeur about this club. We have no God given right to be top of this league, challenging for playoffs or anything else, no matter how much money is pumped in. You even thought yourself that "this is Brighton's cup final". FFS.... That's the kind of **** you hate to hear from Alex Ferguson when he's belittling small teams... and we are not ****ing MU. Brighton were only 6 points behind us in the league and had beaten us already this season. This was no more a cup final for them than it was going to be an easy game for us.

Look Dune, no offence. I'm not trying to start some kind of war or make any enemies. Its just the opinion you've been expressing is one that really ****es me off, and you happened to do it on the day that I had time to argue with someone. I'm not really bothered about people being negative or positive for the sake of it. What ****es me off is the belief that we are some huge club and the small clubs in this division should roll over and let us tickle their bellies. That's the attitude that has people hating the likes of MU and Chelsea and ****es people off when they hear Wenger complaining because other teams "don't play football".

It especially ****es me off when spurious facts are dragged up to prove points, and equally valid facts are dismissed when it doesn't suit the arguers agenda. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if someone can prove it. So I get very annoyed at someone who seems high and mighty and can't even fathom for a moment that he MIGHT be wrong.

Those figures point to a lack of progress. In our first 10 league games our record was WON 1 DREW 6 LOST 3. In others words poor but excuseable given the circumstances. The 10 games after this our record was superb - WON 7 DREW 2 LOST 1. Since then we've gone backwards and not progressed hence we've made up no ground on the play-off places.

But we have made up ground on 2nd place!! As I pointed out earlier on this thread.

You can't say it's a sign of going backwards to not make ground on the playoffs, but at the same time making up ground on automatic promotion is not progress?!

Your stat falls flat by the very fact that if it weren't for the -10 deduction we'd be 7 points away from automatic promotion, and that's even after a dodgy start to the season

Yes, I can. In the Brighton Match Thread you didn't critisie Pardew once for playing 4-5-1. There were plenty of people during the match doing exactly that, but you only seem to start once the final whistle was blown and we hadn't won. Hindsight and all that. I would imagine that if you really felt so strongly about that and the performances you wouldn't have been saying things like "saints getting on top now, get a goal before h/t and we'll be ok", you'd have been wondering why the hell Barnard didn't start in a 4-4-2. Even after our equaliser you didn't suggest changing to 4-4-2, you said "we need h/t now, regroup then go for it 2nd half". If it was such an obviously crime that we shouldn't have played 4-5-1 surely you should have realised it then. Or is it only obvious to you after we didn't have 3 points at the final whistle, and after a 1/2 dozen other people mentioned it.

It seems to go from one extreme to the other. They scored and you said "They were murdering us". There is no middle ground.

The problem with this attitude of "Success right now or get rid of him" and this isn't specifically aimed at you Dune, is that a lot of fans have delusions of grandeur about this club. We have no God given right to be top of this league, challenging for playoffs or anything else, no matter how much money is pumped in. You even thought yourself that "this is Brighton's cup final". FFS.... That's the kind of **** you hate to hear from Alex Ferguson when he's belittling small teams... and we are not ****ing MU. Brighton were only 6 points behind us in the league and had beaten us already this season. This was no more a cup final for them than it was going to be an easy game for us.

Look Dune, no offence. I'm not trying to start some kind of war or make any enemies. Its just the opinion you've been expressing is one that really ****es me off, and you happened to do it on the day that I had time to argue with someone. I'm not really bothered about people being negative or positive for the sake of it. What ****es me off is the belief that we are some huge club and the small clubs in this division should roll over and let us tickle their bellies. That's the attitude that has people hating the likes of MU and Chelsea and ****es people off when they hear Wenger complaining because other teams "don't play football".

It especially ****es me off when spurious facts are dragged up to prove points, and equally valid facts are dismissed when it doesn't suit the arguers agenda. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if someone can prove it. So I get very annoyed at someone who seems high and mighty and can't even fathom for a moment that he MIGHT be wrong.

I couldn't agree more with that bit if I tried. How often I see on here "so-so team are ****" quite often you realise the poster couldn't even find the opposition on a map let lone have any idea about their players or recent form. Then when the opposition turn out to be better than they thought and give us a game maybe even daring to win or draw people throw their toys out of the pram.

I said at the start of the second hald that Pardew needed to bring Waigo on and at halftime that we were lucky and needed to get to h/t and regroup. That one up front formation was a joke, but i gave Pardew the benefit of the doubt, but it was clear that it wasn't working so he should have changed it at h/t or not long into the half as i said.

As for surious facts being dragged up you're talking rubbish. The facts i've dragged up are completely relevent and reflect the season perfectly because they are the facts of the season.

I said at the start of the second hald that Pardew needed to bring Waigo on and at halftime that we were lucky and needed to get to h/t and regroup. That one up front formation was a joke, but i gave Pardew the benefit of the doubt, but it was clear that it wasn't working so he should have changed it at h/t or not long into the half as i said.

As I said above, all said after the fact, when you knew we hadn't 3 points. You said Waigo needs to come on alright, and that we needed to regroup. But neither of those things indicate a formation change.

As for surious facts being dragged up you're talking rubbish. The facts i've dragged up are completely relevent and reflect the season perfectly because they are the facts of the season.

If you really believe that, then I'm sorry but you're deluded.

Anyway, I'm done with this now. There's no point in me repeating the same things over and over. I can't get a blind man to see.

Queue the inevitable "Oh you've lost so you're just giving up rather than admit it" argument.

As I said above, all said after the fact, when you knew we hadn't 3 points. You said Waigo needs to come on alright, and that we needed to regroup. But neither of those things indicate a formation change.

Well i'm sorry i didn't make it clear I didn't want Lambert subbed to be replaced by Waigo. I'd have thought it would have been obvious i wanted Waigo up front with Lambert making a 442.

Disagree with the initial contention of this thread. 9 points off yes, but think how the teams and points total spread out as the season goes on. Pardew still converting a sinking ship - we had a real good run leading up to that 9 point gap but that bucked a trend (as when we were 18 points behind recently).

10 or so points off playoffs (ie achieving playoffs if it werent the points penalty) acceptable for this season. Thats the bottom line re pardew. Besides who else are we gonna get? Do these people want fergie or something? Mourinho?

Disagree with the initial contention of this thread. 9 points off yes, but think how the teams and points total spread out as the season goes on. Pardew still converting a sinking ship - we had a real good run leading up to that 9 point gap but that bucked a trend (as when we were 18 points behind recently).

10 or so points off playoffs (ie achieving playoffs if it werent the points penalty) acceptable for this season. Thats the bottom line re pardew. Besides who else are we gonna get? Do these people want fergie or something? Mourinho?

Well he has said he wants to come back to England and doesn't like Italian football. NC has Italian contacts. It's all fitting into place the special one is coming;)

Edited by doddisalegend

It is fact. You might not like the truth but the results we have got since December have not progressed us. It's alright for you and others to give excuses about the pre season and the 10 point penalty - all valid, but i'm giving the REAL statistics for a period when these excuses stopped washing.

There's facts and there's reasons in my opinion. Most of the teams above us had well established teams going in to January and were able to maintain their momentum. It was clear to AP that he needed at least 4/5 more players to give us a chance. Consequently we changed pretty well half the first team over night. We now have them well established and capable of going on that run we talk about. Let's see where we are at the end of the season. People use stats. to prove anything.

On the 5th December we were 9 points off the playoffs.

Today we are 11 points off the playoffs.

You can say what you like but the table doesn't lie and Pardew has not performed over the past 4 months.

To be worse off now than we were back in December is not good enough.

Shut up you moronic c*nt.

You can say what you like but the table doesn't lie and Pardew has not performed over the past 4 months.

Oh..!

Well if you can use your most persuasive manner Dune [and I just know you've got it in you] to convince those teams above Saints to stop it with all that nasty inconvenient winning of their games, then we might close the gap on them before the season ends. Otherwise, I think we'll have to leave it to the team and Pardew.

Actually you have demonstrated improvement!

In the first 4 months we were 9 points worse off than the playoff teams.

In the following four months we were only 2 points off the pace! (only lost ground by a further 2 points)

Therefore a 7 point improvement in performance on the previous 4 months!

That's the problem with stats they can be used to prove anything depending the way they are cut.

Wait till the end of the season it's the only true measure of how well a season went!

ALAN PARDEWS RED AND WHITE ARMY!!

Actually you have demonstrated improvement!

In the first 4 months we were 9 points worse off than the playoff teams.

In the following four months we were only 2 points off the pace! (only lost ground by a further 2 points)

Therefore a 7 point improvement in performance on the previous 4 months!

That's the problem with stats they can be used to prove anything depending the way they are cut.

Wait till the end of the season it's the only true measure of how well a season went!

ALAN PARDEWS RED AND WHITE ARMY!!

I accept your point that we have only got slightly worse over the past 4 months, but considering the money spent that really isn't good enough. The first 10 games of the season we were rubbish, the next 10 we were really good (that's when we narrowed the gap) and for the 18 games since that we've made no progress at all at narrowing the gap. So in a nutshell we've gone from poor to good to average. That's not good enough and I really worry that next season it's going to be the same old story with pardew playing negative football away from home and Saints underachieving.

How much money has Alan Pardew "Spent?" How much did AP have to spend to bring the team back up to the standard of the team that was relegated. Remember the team that saw Stern John, Skacel, BWP, JPS, Surman etc all leave. I can't remember who else left but tere are others.

How many of his signs have been free? How many of his signings have excellent?

I have enjoyed footy so much more this year than I did last year

Great comment! we are one point better off today than we were yesterday still with a game in hand over colchester & Bristol Rovers. Huddersfield & Mk Dons have harder run ins than us, we can still do the play offs even if it is a long shot. Pardew has made a few mistakes this season but has made a lot more progress than any of us thought 8 months ago! if we don't make it this season then we must next,You've got to remember we did not have a proper squad untill a quarter of the way through the season! Don't judge Pardew untill he has a full season, Pre-season with a full squad!!!!

Thank you Alan!!!

Exactly how I feel. People just use the stats to prove a point and forget the context. The context this season has been far different from the past so it is absolute b****ks to compare this season with any in the past. If we are in this position this time next season then I think Pardew would have resigned or probably pushed and he knows that better than anyone.

Comparing our performance to the 6th place in the table is to compare to a moving target. You are not comparing to the same team but to the best team out of several.

Exactly, and the reason we haven't 'made ground on 6th' is because the team in 6th at the time, Swindon, have been on an excellent run since then. We have however made ground on Leeds, Charlton , Colchester and Huddersfield and have been the 4th best team (in terms of points scored) since the turn of the year.

Yes it's not been perfect, but to try and say we've been some kind of failure since December is just not true.

For anyone who cares here's the full league table since 31 December 09

Played Pts PPG

Norwich City 16 37 2.31

Millwall 15 36 2.40

Swindon Town 16 32 2.00

Southampton 14 26 1.86

Huddersfield Town 15 24 1.60

Bristol Rovers 16 24 1.50

Brighton & Hove Albion 15 24 1.60

Carlisle United 17 23 1.35

Milton Keynes Dons 14 21 1.50

Brentford 14 21 1.50

Charlton Athletic 14 20 1.43

Colchester United 16 20 1.25

Tranmere Rovers 15 20 1.33

Exeter City 15 17 1.13

Leyton Orient 14 17 1.21

Walsall 16 16 1.00

Yeovil Town 14 16 1.14

Leeds United 15 15 1.00

Oldham Athletic 15 15 1.00

Gillingham 14 14 1.00

Wycombe Wanderers 14 14 1.00

Hartlepool United 15 12 0.80

Stockport County 15 10 0.67

Southend United 14 8 0.57

Please can you have some realisic expectations. In the summer we lost the two players in the squad who had any real sell on value due to admin. AP came in very late and attempted to assemble a team that could get us into safety. That work continued in the xmas transfer window. No manager can expect a team to gell straight away, and our team has been a little inconsistant, which in MHO is to be expected.

Teams such as Norwich, Leeds, Millwall and Charlton have basically the same squads as last year, and this has shown in their results.

i cant believe the short sighted views the likes of you have. 1 months ago we were close to going under. Please tell me how long did it take Sir Alex to get Man Utd performing when he got the job. How long did it take LM here at Saints. Please take a longer term perspective you idiot. The general consensus was that this season was about rebuilding, learning to win again and bringing the feel good factor back. AP has gone far beyond that bringing home the JP and reaching the last 16 of the cup. This team has shown on its day it can beat anyone, consistancy will come as they play together. if your only gage of success start supporting man utd or chelsea, or perhaps even barca.

VERY WELL PUT :smt041:smt041

I find it incredible less than a week after actually winning a competition the manager is getting this sort of grief. We have undoubtedly improved since the turn of the year and are heading in the right direction. Other teams have done even better - nothing to do with Pardew. Pardew deserves the support of the fans. Yes, he is not immune to criticism. But if the cyber jockeys on here who think they know better could actually manage a football club, why aren't they? No one knows why he makes the calls he does, but he will have his reasons based on a better knowledge of the gme and his players than anyone on here. Support the manager FFS and stop whinging!!!!

At the beginning of the season we had a poor squad. The early results reflected this.

After just a few weeks work, (and being given some money), AP has turned us into a team which is averaging just shy of 2 points a game, which over a season would be good enough to get us promoted.

AP may have go a few things wrong, but then who doesn't. His choice of signings looks pretty good from where I sit.

What would really worry me is AP leaving at this stage. Stability is something badly needed at SMS.

At the beginning of the season we had a poor squad. The early results reflected this.

After just a few weeks work, (and being given some money), AP has turned us into a team which is averaging just shy of 2 points a game, which over a season would be good enough to get us promoted.

AP may have go a few things wrong, but then who doesn't. His choice of signings looks pretty good from where I sit.

What would really worry me is AP leaving at this stage. Stability is something badly needed at SMS.

Spot on! There is not one manager in the country that hasn`t made one or two tactical/substitution errors over the season, so why would AP be any different?

people should really stop trotting out the 'a few months ago we nearly didnt have a club' line

why? it's true :p

Yes AP has made a couple of mistakes, but, also the team he put out v Brighton for example should have been more than capable of winning.

He will get things wrong, as we all do but he should stay and put things right, or at least have the chance to. Next season will be a better time to really judge / moan / praise as the excuses of -10 points and no pre-season go. Im giving him to xmas before I start to sharpen my pencil (keyboard).

people should really stop trotting out the 'a few months ago we nearly didnt have a club' line

Why is this? Because it doesn`t fit any anti AP agenda? You lot remind me of man who has a fatal disease, is close to dying and recieves a miracle cure. 12 months later he is in extremely good health but thinks that it has nothing to do with what happened a year ago. Unbelievable!

But that situation is a two horse race and one variable is winning and the other losing. The situtaion we are dealing with is a 24 horse race.

Exactly, I agree 100% thats why you can't use the fact we are more points away from 6th as a argument. It's a moving target you can't control. We clearly have improved .. goalscoring, defensivly, games won .. everything..

There is of course still room for improvement, plenty of it to be fair

And I agree he's not doing "fantastically" but given the circustances is probably doing as well as can be expected.

IF we didn't have the -10 & didn't have to get the "team" back from that to 0 before we even started we could of maybe, just maybe got away with building on the team we had slowly .. but it would of been a gamble on -10 Teams have been relegated in past because they got into a "rut" in the relegation zone. Now we have spent many are using it as a noose around AP neck ..

As for the benchmark you are using, what use is it. On the reverse of what I said earlier that team in 6th could lose every game ( doing a leeds lol) and we could be above them by 4 points having actually lost more than we was before .. that to me is NOT improvement

Edited by stmusicdude

In case there are still a few feckwits out there, here is Pardew's real record...

Won our first silverware for 34 years.

Won more games in a season than any manager since Chris Nicholl.

Oh and might still take us up in his first season in charge.

Now do us a favour if you aren't enjoying this season and f u ck off will you?

Many thanks.

(PS did anyone mention nearly not having a club eight months ago and the lack of pre-season thanks to Walter fecking Falco??)

In case there are still a few feckwits out there, here is Pardew's real record...

Many thanks.

(PS did anyone mention nearly not having a club eight months ago and the lack of pre-season thanks to Walter fecking Falco??)

This!

If any of the detractors were at salisbury in the pre season friendly , as Henderson took the team with AP watching you would have put us down to having less points than Pompey now. We were dire, bereft of fight, desire, skill, organisation and players with any idea.

To see how AP has got the team to now is amazing.

If he could improve us another 20% by this time next season with a 2 or 3 more shrewd signings,many will be eating their words.

If any of the detractors were at salisbury in the pre season friendly , as Henderson took the team with AP watching you would have put us down to having less points than Pompey now. We were dire, bereft of fight, desire, skill, organisation and players with any idea.

If he could improve us another 20% by this time next season with a 2 or 3 more shrewd signings,many will be eating their words.

pre season friendlies dont really tell us much

newcastle lost 6-0 to leyton orient the summer just gone

Many thanks.

Just for the pseudo feckwits who get distracted by a piece of shiny paper.

This season is over, it's all about next season and the ability to deliver automatic promotion form. And if things are not going well in the league, a penalty shoot out in the JPT is no conciliation. If players are not rested in the cup games for the league and we suffer as a result, then what alternative is there? If I hear one reference to how we are JPT champions and the need to defend our trophy, it's time to Bryan Gunn him.

Pardew deserves a chance, not a carte blanche endorsement.

Spot on! There is not one manager in the country that hasn`t made one or two tactical/substitution errors over the season, so why would AP be any different?

Because we are the mighty Saints dontcha know and because a kindly old gent has thrown a wad of cash our way!

Our managers are not allowed to behave as every other manager in the league does and make mistakes. Our team is not allowed to lose football matches.

;)

Because we are the mighty Saints dontcha know and because a kindly old gent has thrown a wad of cash our way!

Our managers are not allowed to behave as every other manager in the league does and make mistakes. Our team is not allowed to lose football matches.

;)

Pardew has been a manager long enough not to make stupid mistakes and when he does make mistakes he shouldn't be so arrogant that he won't change things before it's too late. At Brighton he got it wrong playing one man up front, yet he was that arrogant and big headed he didn't change things until 5 minutes from time. IMO this is just another example of him getting too big for his boots and he needs to lose some of that ego. He's going to same way as many managers who've been in the game for a while and unless he get's his feet back on the ground and stops being so know it all he'll end up like George Burley. By the very fact he's managing in League 1 it shows which way his career is heading! But let's not be hasty and write him off just yet - if he can get his head out of the clouds he can still resurect himself.

What exactly is a "stupid" mistake? All managers make mistakes that some fans think are "stupid". Thing is, if they know so much why aren't they managing a football club?

Having just won a trophy and turning this club around in less than a season, I expect that Pardew has already "resurected" himself. I don't see him as arrogant at all. I also don't think you can suggest that someone's career is on the slide because they are managing in Div 1. Perhaps he sees that he can do a job here and get a decent club back to the Premiership. I don't think he would have a problem find a CCC club and is probably better than a number of Prem managers. Please could you explain to us why he is apparently so "know it all"???

Edited by sadoldgit
spelling

QUOTE]

By my reckoning we have played 51 competitive games this season and lost 10.

Any historians or fan's with long memories out there who can tell me our last manager with a comparable record ?

Exactly and that is what makes me laugh the most at these people.

Because their whole argument is we should be doing better, i.e we are doing bad results wise.

Which is total and utter ********.

As mentioned above the table from the 1st of this year has us 4th with a game in hand. With the far majority of those games being played away.

On current form we sit 3rd, if we win today we will be 1st. How can you do better then being the team getting the most points per game in the league? You can't.

That is why what they are saying is stupid because it is like telling someone who won a race they are crap.

Pardew has been a manager long enough not to make stupid mistakes and when he does make mistakes he shouldn't be so arrogant that he won't change things before it's too late. At Brighton he got it wrong playing one man up front, yet he was that arrogant and big headed he didn't change things until 5 minutes from time. IMO this is just another example of him getting too big for his boots and he needs to lose some of that ego. He's going to same way as many managers who've been in the game for a while and unless he get's his feet back on the ground and stops being so know it all he'll end up like George Burley. By the very fact he's managing in League 1 it shows which way his career is heading! But let's not be hasty and write him off just yet - if he can get his head out of the clouds he can still resurect himself.

Barnard and Waigo came on after 75 minutes - not a massive amount of time granted but certainly not 5 minutes! Seems to me he changed it up and given Brighton had been on top for the previous 15 mins or so to the subs hardly an awful decision to hold back on attacking subs whilst you're trying to re-establish a foot hold in the game. I believe Brighton were somthing like 3rd in recent form coming into this game they aren't mugs in this division by a long shot.

But ... you're correct lets not be hasty and write him off ey, I'm sure this type of thread was put up in particular to not get on the guys back ;-) As others have said if you aren't enjoying this season you must really hate being a saints fan! Silverware and still in with an outside chance of squeaking through to the play offs is an excellent achievement after the start to the season, RE the first 10 games not the pre season before we cover old ground AGAIN.

QUOTE]

By my reckoning we have played 51 competitive games this season and lost 10.

Any historians or fan's with long memories out there who can tell me our last manager with a comparable record ?

Yes I agree it has been a very good season but unfortunately too many draws to make it an excellent Season which is I think is Cortese's Opinion.

I don't think any of us have been saying it has been an excellent season. But it is far from bad and certainly not bad enough for us to be thinking about changing our manager (again). As has been said time and again on here, if we had been told we would have won a trophy at Wembley and still be within a slight sniff of the play offs this time last year most of us would have been absolutely delighted. Those without cr*p cloured spectacles can see that a great deal of progress has already been made and if Pardew magics up some more quality players in the summer there is no reason why next year cannot be better.

If some people want to wail and wring their hands about what might have been this season let them wallow in their own negativity.

We have a decent owner, a decent manager, we are having a decent season with reason to believe better things are coming our way. If you can't be happy with that after the last few seasons you will never be satisfied.

why?

Why indeed? We not only were going down the pan rapidly we very nearly ended up in the hands of Pinnacle. To say that we have dodged a bullet is an understatement.

I think that there is still an assumption that we deserve to be bigger than we are. Just be thankful that we have a chance to rebuild. Some clubs never recover.

I don't think any of us have been saying it has been an excellent season. But it is far from bad and certainly not bad enough for us to be thinking about changing our manager (again). As has been said time and again on here, if we had been told we would have won a trophy at Wembley and still be within a slight sniff of the play offs this time last year most of us would have been absolutely delighted. Those without cr*p cloured spectacles can see that a great deal of progress has already been made and if Pardew magics up some more quality players in the summer there is no reason why next year cannot be better.

If some people want to wail and wring their hands about what might have been this season let them wallow in their own negativity.

We have a decent owner, a decent manager, we are having a decent season with reason to believe better things are coming our way. If you can't be happy with that after the last few seasons you will never be satisfied.

I would wipe the slate clean with this season and start again with Pardew the next season. But I have serious concerns along with glowing praise for some of the things Pardew has done. Pardews actions in the transfer market have been exceptional, so no worries letting him loose in the summer. You can say some of those thoroughbreds should be looking at the inside of a tin rather than still being on grass, but that is a minor point. Before Pardew came, I recognised an intelligent, articulate manager who I felt was tactically very savy. Tactically he has disappointed, with only Ince being one I can say he has in his pocket, on the receiving end far to many times for my liking. Confidence wise, I feel he is damaged goods, where pressure has brought out unexpected actions and statements I would not have expected. I get the feeling the JPT may well do more good for Pardew than anyone else. No reason not to keep him for the start of next season, but equally no reason to extend that for too long should he fail to deliver. Look at all the managers in League 1 and there is no way you can tell me he is above the top 4, not going to argue that he is not there abouts, but nothing that special as yet.