Pardew's Record

sadoldgit

Sorry Chrisobee, had to go off an actually do some proper work away from the computer. Who won, and do we have a 1,2,3..? Perhaps a photo is required to separate them.

Enjoyed your input.

It was a good idea lol

Alpine Saint pulled clear in the final few furlongs as sadoldgit started to show his age. The battle for 3rd place was tight, thedelldays involved in a photo finish as Dune came with a late charge after appearing unsure whether to race or not at times. After a long look it was TDD by a long nose. St Landrew was suspended for the rest of the season for interference. On the betting front Stkip finally decided to place £50 on the nose on Pilchards who promptly refused at the next, Saint stevo also did his money ( or rather his Dad's money !).

Afterwards and somewhat unbelieavably AS was unavailable for comment though sadoldgit did say he'd get him next time :)

Pictures are finally available: The winner, Alpine Saint in party mood ...

picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=374

Sadoldgit, an honourable second..

picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=376

thedelldays still looking in fine fettle..

picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=375

And StLandrew is put out to grass but finally finds true love..

picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=377

Sad old git looks rather younger than his name suggests.

Before Alan Pardew arrived the manager with with best points per game record was Burley with 1.54 points per game.

Ignoring the pre season friendlies, Pardew's record in league and cup games (giving 3 points for a win) is 1.90 points per game.

For those who think that he is tactically inept and should be sacked, perhaps they should reflect that even the great Ted Bates and Lawrie McMenemy never managed that kind of return.

Good topic and good post, however Ted and Mac coached against European Champions and World Class players...not Wycombe and Marlon Broombes FFS

Can you assess Bates in Div III please.

Good topic and good post, however Ted and Mac coached against European Champions and World Class players...not Wycombe and Marlon Broombes FFS

Can you assess Bates in Div III please.

indeed.

IMO, dave jones achieved more than burley..yet he probably does not have the same win ratio...

again, comparing different managers at a club like saints is totally pointless

I do not disagree that Pardew is a good manager in Div1. His record with Saints is pretty good and he got us to Wembley and won it.

What I have been saying is that I do not think he has enough to get us to the Premier and hold us there.

I was looking at league table just now, having just got back from a few days away in Cornwall. We are 11 points of the playoff and if you take into account our -10 we are 1 point off and only another 6 from automatic promotion in second place. That 7 points can be accounted for in our poor start and not something I think Pardew can be blamed for.

So what I am saying is Pardew has had a very good season but I am concerned he does not have enough to get us to where we want to go. I do not want him sacked at present. Let us see where we are at the end of the season. He deserves that much. Hope that clears that up.

I'd go along with this too.

No way do I think AP to be "inept" to use the word in the OP but there are times when he is too defensive and also times when he over complicates.

However I do like the way he talks straight and interviews candidly - so refreshing after Burley the mumbler.

I'd go along with this too.

No way do I think AP to be "inept" to use the word in the OP but there are times when he is too defensive and also times when he over complicates.

However I do like the way he talks straight and interviews candidly - so refreshing after Burley the mumbler.

Nice to see you back supporting the Saints:smt057

That is instead of hanging around on street corners with dolly birds.:D

COYRS

indeed.

IMO, dave jones achieved more than burley..yet he probably does not have the same win ratio...

again, comparing different managers at a club like saints is totally pointless

I thought Dave Jones was just getting going when that nonsense kicked off... He brought in some really good players (the other Jones and Kevin Davies) and we had started to play some nice attacking football. Hell, we even went to Brentford in the cup and won!! A real shame. I also liked him as a bloke, seemed like s solid hard-working funny guy...

So it is a "crime" that Chelsea have still not won the Champions league? That Man City are not going to win the Premiership this year? That Ipswich spent £8m this season and don't have a cat in hell's chamce of going up?

Where does it say that spending money guarantees you success )other than in the parallel dimension of Alpineworld)?

Everything is relative. When managers managed in the premiership they had better quality players. We have Div 1 and some CCC quality players. WE went down with a squad that contained the likes of Crouch and Phillips, many of whom are still plying their trade in the Premiership yet finished bottom.

It is no easier to get 1.9 points per game in Div 1, the CCC or the Premiership. YOu still have to beat what is in front of you with what you have.

So just to confirm in your world george burley was fantastically successful at saints. But on the other hand chelsea with league titles, euro cup finals, cups and season after season of top two, three finishes is proof that money doesn't buy success? What utter garbage you write. Over and over again.

1. Just because people are critical of Pardew should not be taken as a call for him to be sacked. It may also be (a) hope that he might learn from his mistakes and (b) hope that the chairman will pressure him to change his cautious approach.

2. Pardew has assembled a good squad by spending Leibherr's money wisely, possibly spending more than Cortese wanted. The quality in the squad should deliver results, and often has done so, but when results go against them, there is often a tactical or selection issue to question, as well as performance by the team.

3. Pardew could use some help with PR as his comments on the OS after a win or a draw tend towards making excuses as if its nothing to do with him.

1. Just because people are critical of Pardew should not be taken as a call for him to be sacked. It may also be (a) hope that he might learn from his mistakes and (b) hope that the chairman will pressure him to change his cautious approach.

2. Pardew has assembled a good squad by spending Leibherr's money wisely, possibly spending more than Cortese wanted. The quality in the squad should deliver results, and often has done so, but when results go against them, there is often a tactical or selection issue to question, as well as performance by the team.

3. Pardew could use some help with PR as his comments on the OS after a win or a draw tend towards making excuses as if its nothing to do with him.

In respect of point 1 i think what is needed is a director of football to act as a middleman between the chairman and Pardew. AP is imo becoming too big headed and know it all - Brighton being a prime example of a pig headed manager that wouldn't admit he'd got it wrong and make the necessary changes when there was still time. With a director of football (possibly an Italian) it brings in new ideas and a better method of comunication.

In respect of point 1 i think what is needed is a director of football to act as a middleman between the chairman and Pardew. AP is imo becoming too big headed and know it all - Brighton being a prime example of a pig headed manager that wouldn't admit he'd got it wrong and make the necessary changes when there was still time. With a director of football (possibly an Italian) it brings in new ideas and a better method of comunication.

Not if his English is not very good

Dune, We do not need a Director of Football in this league or the CCC.

Professor, your post is spot on save I do not agree with your final point. I think Pardew comes over as honest and genuine but some of his comments reveal his weaknesses in tactical awareness.

Dune, We do not need a Director of Football in this league or the CCC.

When you say "we" who are you refering to?

Nicola Cortese does need a DOF in my opinion because it would help him make the right decisions having an extra pair of eyes and ears. At present he's pretty isolated having no board of directors as such.

When you say "we" who are you refering to?

Nicola Cortese does need a DOF in my opinion because it would help him make the right decisions having an extra pair of eyes and ears. At present he's pretty isolated having no board of directors as such.

I am referring to Southampton Football Club.

DOF's do not come cheap and in this division it is not needed. Pardew can cope with the "management" with decent assistants which he has at this level.

Cortese still has a budget to work to and at present the money will be better spent on improving the quality of players.

Interaction between Cortese and Pardew is better than an interferring DoF bluring the reporting lines.

1. Just because people are critical of Pardew should not be taken as a call for him to be sacked. It may also be (a) hope that he might learn from his mistakes and (b) hope that the chairman will pressure him to change his cautious approach. 2. Pardew has assembled a good squad by spending Leibherr's money wisely, possibly spending more than Cortese wanted. The quality in the squad should deliver results, and often has done so, but when results go against them, there is often a tactical or selection issue to question, as well as performance by the team.

Quite! our appalling goal difference shows just how defensive we've been this year. We have a terrible lack of offensive players too. all these boring 1-0s this year has really upset me. Hopefully next year will go all out in attack maybe 1-1-9 and really take it to other teams.

I am referring to Southampton Football Club.

DOF's do not come cheap and in this division it is not needed. Pardew can cope with the "management" with decent assistants which he has at this level.

Cortese still has a budget to work to and at present the money will be better spent on improving the quality of players.

Interaction between Cortese and Pardew is better than an interferring DoF bluring the reporting lines.

+1, totally agree with that.

As you've said, it makes more sense to have one in the premiership - someone who is aware of the availability of ''bigger'' players, as it's much harder to locate the right sort of players for the right sort of money in the PL - so that's where a DoF will come in handy.

It's worked really well at Stoke for the past 2 seasons.