just back from Brighton

Saint Keith

Maybe you should try spellcheck and a bit of punctuation to encourage people to think it might just be English.

I thought this was a forum for people to put their opinions whatever they think. It doesn't require ridicule or sarcasm if the views are original, or different. However if it suits your ego, fil yur bots.

Touchy. Practice what you preach? Being a dsylexic I long gave up caring what people thought about my level of english. Still the last resort of internet warriors is always to go for people's spelling and punctuation, if it makes you feel superior fil yur bots

Derry is right and you don't need coaching badges to see that View from the top

there are occassions when I wonder at some of the tactic we use especially 1-5-4 . we are more fluent when we play 442, but if AP is using 154 for defensive tactical purposes then he should also explore the wide areas more frequently. Its as much a defensive tactic as just saturating the midfield.

I like AP but sometimes I wish he was more adveturous with his tactics.

Maybe next year once he is a ble to bring some more midfielders in the same mould as morgan

The ref was not shocking, the one we had for the leeds game was.

We've brought in so many players this season, patience people.

To start all over again with yet another manager would be a disaster.

Keep the faith in pardew.

You say that but Pardew has already stated that we will be buyingg more in the summer.

On the ref debate, I did think he had a poor game. He allowed too much foul play early on and I thought Jaidi was fortunate to stay on the pitch let alone avoid being booked. The booking of a Brighton player for a dive was a good decision but there were several occasions when he over-ruled the assistants to play advantage when there was no advantage.

Derry is right and you don't need coaching badges to see that View from the top

Derry in an idiot who thinks the only way to play football is to have 2 wide men, always, no matter what and get the ball to them at all times.

He's such an idiot that he doesn't understand that it doesn't always work.

He's also an idiot as he thinks he's the only one with FA badges.

In short, he's an idiot.

Only logged on today,but I was there last night for my first and last visit to the Withdean.

Thought there was an element of "after the lord mayors show" about the team and us fans.

The "stadium" didnt help that feeling,what a strange place to watch football.

I think Brighton have been one of the better teams we have played this season,they attacked us with pace and their passing was slick at times.

Having said that,we came back well and really went at them when the substitutions were finally made.Lee's goal was a sweet moment.

Mixed in with their fans after the game,in the bus queue and there was good friendly banter.Only downside was getting flashed by speed camera on the way home gggrrrrrr

F**k me, Alpine....do you see in black and white too??? if you read the original post (without your "saints players must die if we drop a point" head on) you will see that the OP said that we were awful AND the ref was ****e......NOT we drew COZ the ref was ****e!

:mad:

Well said mate ;)

Alpine has a lot to say considering he hardly ever goes to a match, it is getting to be a bloody bore !:mad:

Only logged on today,but I was there last night for my first and last visit to the Withdean.

Thought there was an element of "after the lord mayors show" about the team and us fans.

The "stadium" didnt help that feeling,what a strange place to watch football.

I think Brighton have been one of the better teams we have played this season,they attacked us with pace and their passing was slick at times.

Having said that,we came back well and really went at them when the substitutions were finally made.Lee's goal was a sweet moment.

Mixed in with their fans after the game,in the bus queue and there was good friendly banter.Only downside was getting flashed by speed camera on the way home gggrrrrrr

I agree with I wont be going back to the Withdean unless it is a vital game crap view crap atmosphere glad we nicked a point.

Brighton played well and we did well to drag ourselfs back in the game

Derry in an idiot who thinks the only way to play football is to have 2 wide men, always, no matter what and get the ball to them at all times.

He's such an idiot that he doesn't understand that it doesn't always work.

He's also an idiot as he thinks he's the only one with FA badges.

In short, he's an idiot.

I might be an idiot but you are ignorant to say so. Calling names because you don't agree with others opinions, is resorting to bullying. Just as my opinion doesn't appeal to you, your behaviour doesn't appeal to me. I have no intention in the future in making any comment on your remarks, I suggest you do the same regarding mine.

Bit harsh! We had a makeshift team out a Wembley including Harding playing out of position (who had a terrific game by the way) and Wotton in midfield. No the football was not great but we have played better and lost. We are only a Div 1 team remember and still did enough to see of Carlisle with plenty to spare. We have scored a lot of goals this season and won a lot of matches. He must be doing SOMETHING right surely?

I did say exactly what 'He' is doing right - 'He' can spot a decent player but 'He' can't organise a team - the football is not far short of school boy stuff most of the time. The fact Harding had good game at Wembley is a complete red herring I'm afraid......so what....Several players played well at Wembley.

The problem is we persist in playing hit and hope narrow football when we have the players to be playing measured, thought out, planned, expansive football and I have yet to see it excepting the odd few minutes here and there when the players manage to put this together despite the managers instructions which consist of hit it long to Lambert.

I did say exactly what 'He' is doing right - 'He' can spot a decent player but 'He' can't organise a team - the football is not far short of school boy stuff most of the time. The fact Harding had good game at Wembley is a complete red herring I'm afraid......so what....Several players played well at Wembley.

The problem is we persist in playing hit and hope narrow football when we have the players to be playing measured, thought out, planned, expansive football and I have yet to see it excepting the odd few minutes here and there when the players manage to put this together despite the managers instructions which consist of hit it long to Lambert.

And that was the point it became clear you were speaking crap. We may not play the way you like but to compare our team to school boys. Do you watch a lot of youth football? becuase nothing I watch on a saturday at St Marys looks anything like what I see when watching my nipper and his team play on a sunday. I suppose all the games we won this year were just luck? So AP is a bad manager becuase he doesn't play the way you would like? Its funny how the press,pundits and his peers don't share your opinion isn't I suppose they're all wrong to?

view from the top you have your opinion but your comments are very offensive about Derry

You should make a public apology for your offensive comments.

but I doubt you have the balls to do so

Just another cyber warrior that resorts to abuse. I'm not the first and won't be the last but I really can't be bothered with him. Everybody is entitled to their opinion whatever they think. These people can't explain their reasoning and can only restate popular opinions. They then resort to abuse if others are proposing alternative views, pretty juvenile behaviour.

I think you are absolutely spot on.

The most ridiculous line i have read on here in a long time..complete crap and that is saying something given the utter garbage we are forced to endure over and over.

The most ridiculous line i have read on here in a long time..complete crap and that is saying something given the utter garbage we are forced to endure over and over.

there are some people that didn't like pardew from day 1 - so they'll never change their opinions.

If we walked the league next year, they'd say it was in-spite of him im sure.

there are some people that didn't like pardew from day 1 - so they'll never change their opinions.

If we walked the league next year, they'd say it was in-spite of him im sure.

I see that Chelsea adopted Pardew's tactics today leaving a striker Drogba on the bench

Well you must watch a different team then mate. We have had a measure of success this year but without doubt the football has been long and hopeful, this is undeniable. If you disagree I'm afraid you really are the one talking 'crap' !!

I admit that this type football can be affective sometimes. However only up to a point and with this squad we should be playing much more constructive football if we are to reach high standards with some consistency and gain promotion at some point.

I don't have anything against Pardew but our pattern of play is now very much entrenched - Play with no width and hit it longggggggg - give it to Wotton or Davis and they have one simple instruction...I'm sorry but these are facts - not 'crap' or 'garbage' as you articulate so sure of your self.

It might be a fantastic policy but I'm seriously in doubt that this pattern will see us regain Premiership status - which I thought was the aim.....

And that was the point it became clear you were speaking crap. We may not play the way you like but to compare our team to school boys. Do you watch a lot of youth football? becuase nothing I watch on a saturday at St Marys looks anything like what I see when watching my nipper and his team play on a sunday. I suppose all the games we won this year were just luck? So AP is a bad manager becuase he doesn't play the way you would like? Its funny how the press,pundits and his peers don't share your opinion isn't I suppose they're all wrong to?

Are you saying our performances are consistant?

It's not a question of playing the way I like. It's a question of getting to the Premiership.

I'm very glad for you that you believe everything you read in the press too....

The problem is we persist in playing hit and hope narrow football

Don't think you'll find the facts bear that out eg 5-0 v Huddersfield and precisely no goals were the result of "hit and hope narrow football ", ditto the 5 v Walsall. I could go on but no need, making statements like that makes me wonder what exactly you base that on ??

Are you saying our performances are consistant?

It's not a question of playing the way I like. It's a question of getting to the Premiership.

I'm very glad for you that you believe everything you read in the press too....

No I'm saying in no way does our team resemble schoolboy football as you stated. How many teams have you taken to the EPL by the way? an opionion is one thing but stating it like a fact is another entirely. As for the press I'm intelligent enough to make my own mind up and I'm willing to guess that long term sports writers and football pundits have been in the game long enough to give credit where it's due to a good manager.

Well you must watch a different team then mate. We have had a measure of success this year but without doubt the football has been long and hopeful, this is undeniable. If you disagree I'm afraid you really are the one talking 'crap' !!

I admit that this type football can be affective sometimes. However only up to a point and with this squad we should be playing much more constructive football if we are to reach high standards with some consistency and gain promotion at some point.

I don't have anything against Pardew but our pattern of play is now very much entrenched - Play with no width and hit it longggggggg - give it to Wotton or Davis and they have one simple instruction...I'm sorry but these are facts - not 'crap' or 'garbage' as you articulate so sure of your self.

It might be a fantastic policy but I'm seriously in doubt that this pattern will see us regain Premiership status - which I thought was the aim.....

Sorry to be bearer of bad news mate but it is you who sees something different,

yes the long ball is used as it is in every division but nowhere near

as often as you suggest...look again.

Sometimes I think us lesser mortals use examples that don't work as intended.

You though just want to flex your muscles like a lot on here and give verbals. Maybe my education is of a similar level to his because I can see where he is going with his remark.

AP has put a team together that is much better than what was here when he arrived. We are still short of a genuine midfield general that would sort out a lot of our woes but that is a seperate issue. Having bought these players and brought some in on frees he has yet to show us the conviction of his own worth. Send the troops out to win the games. Is that asking too much ? Change the formulae when it so obviously isn't working. Like 20 minutes before he did with our crowd baying Barnards name over and over again. Is that asking too much?

Sometimes I think us lesser mortals use examples that don't work as intended.

You though just want to flex your muscles like a lot on here and give verbals. Maybe my education is of a similar level to his because I can see where he is going with his remark.

AP has put a team together that is much better than what was here when he arrived. We are still short of a genuine midfield general that would sort out a lot of our woes but that is a seperate issue. Having bought these players and brought some in on frees he has yet to show us the conviction of his own worth. Send the troops out to win the games. Is that asking too much ? Change the formulae when it so obviously isn't working. Like 20 minutes before he did with our crowd baying Barnards name over and over again. Is that asking too much?

In my rather basic English education I was told to say what you mean. However if people are going to use examples that simply aren't true they might expect to be questioned. Some points about your post if I'm allowed to question your assumptions?

1) you actually believe that AP sends the players out to lose? If so he's not doing a very good job as we've only lost eight in the league this year.

2) I wouldn't trust any manager who works his subs around the crowds baying, maybe AP could canvass the fans opinion on a friday to work out which team to play on a saturday.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news mate but it is you who sees something different,

yes the long ball is used as it is in every division but nowhere near

as often as you suggest...look again.

Ooooooww Rose tinted glases........Lets count how many times KD kicks it long and how many times he throws it short to build from the back!

Pick any game you like - I don't mind...

As I said - it may effective sometimes but in my opinion will not be a style of football that gets us to the Premiership. I am also beginning to have doubts that it will get us out of this league too.......

A manager at this club with this money, these players and this ambition should be thinking in terms on a more cohesive style of football - in my opinion.

In my rather basic English education I was told to say what you mean. However if people are going to use examples that simply aren't true they might expect to be questioned. Some points about your post if I'm allowed to question your assumptions?

1) you actually believe that AP sends the players out to lose? If so he's not doing a very good job as we've only lost eight in the league this year.

2) I wouldn't trust any manager who works his subs around the crowds baying, maybe AP could canvass the fans opinion on a friday to work out which team to play on a saturday.

I am sorry but where have I said such a crass thing. At no time have I suggested he sends the team out to lose.

Again you fail to comprehend what is being said. The crowd at several of our games and not just the Brighton one has called for a change when we see as a whole that the system is not working.

If we as mere fans can see that something is so wrong so should he in respect to him be able to do likewise. Over the length of the season we have had several instances whereby AP has been questioned by us as to his capabilities.

Whist we do this, we are not in my case anyway, demanding an instant sacking. We are trying to figure out why these situations arise. The one thing that seems strange to me is how people jump straight on to the attack because we have dared to question AP. No sensible dialogue such as for the game against Brighton where the substitutions were left so late when it could be seen that we were struggling. Nobody has come out with a reason which would explain this. Even if only opinion it is what we look for.

It is easy to castigate but not so easy to explain or to even offer some possibilities.

I am sorry but where have I said such a crass thing. At no time have I suggested he sends the team out to lose.

Again you fail to comprehend what is being said. The crowd at several of our games and not just the Brighton one has called for a change when we see as a whole that the system is not working.

If we as mere fans can see that something is so wrong so should he in respect to him be able to do likewise. Over the length of the season we have had several instances whereby AP has been questioned by us as to his capabilities.

Whist we do this, we are not in my case anyway, demanding an instant sacking. We are trying to figure out why these situations arise. The one thing that seems strange to me is how people jump straight on to the attack because we have dared to question AP. No sensible dialogue such as for the game against Brighton where the substitutions were left so late when it could be seen that we were struggling. Nobody has come out with a reason which would explain this. Even if only opinion it is what we look for.

It is easy to castigate but not so easy to explain or to even offer some possibilities.

So what are you suggesting by the comment below then that he send them out to draw? the comment below suggests to me that you don't think AP is sending out the players to win.

Send the troops out to win the games. Is that asking too much ?

Where is written that a football manager should listen to the fans when making his subs. So your telling me that the fans know more than an experinced football manager? The problem with that is the fans can't agree about such things just check out the average match thread you'll find half a dozen different opinons about the match so which fans should he listen to?

Funny though that you only question when thing go wrong, I don't see to many posts saying wow AP got it spot on today. AP is only human he may make mistakes but he has also made plenty of good calls yet you seem to have little interest in them.

Actually if you look back you'll find I too questioned APs late subs in the Brighton game as I said he has made mistakes. However I take offense when the first manager to win us silverware in 34 years, has taken us from -10 to top half of the table with the second best goal difference in the league is accussed of building a team that are no better than schoolboys being defensive and not capable of doing his job based on the odd poor sub call or team selection.

You may wish for answers about APs choices you are unlikely to get them unless you ask AP personally. My own take is that we went in at half time even. Brighton had the better of the first 35mins we where on top for the last 10mins so AP porbably decided to see how we started the second half before bring on subs. We came out brightly so no need to change things. Around 65 Brighton introduced two subs the balance swung back their way 10mins later we changed it up with a very good triple sub and bossed the final bit of the match. While introducing the subs early may have been a good idea we don't actually know it would have changed anything.

Edited by doddisalegend

There have been games like the Swindon away where I could have been forgiven for defecting from the Saints fan family. It was by far the worst performance seen by me in ages. That game the team played with no obvious feeling of urgency. No fight or desir was apparent.

Just because AP picked the team does not, as has been suggested or implied, mean that I accuse or think he sent the team out to do anything other than win. He is our manager and for that I am still grateful. We have been through a hell of a lot of anguish over the last few years.

I agree that as a professional he should know more than us about his level of the beautiful game. We will disagree with him at times over his choice of players as said previously. But at the end of the day it is his job to get the players set up to tackle whatsoever is placed before them. He had already met Brighton but we did not seem prepared for them.

Me asking for him to send the troops out to win is simply asking for him to prepare them for whatever is to come. As the biggest spenders we should know that most, if not all, clubs in this league will treat our games as cup finals. They will not roll over without us performing in a suitable manner for the occassion.

He picks the team. He has brought in most of the players now in the team. He chooses the manner in which these players play. If it is not down to him to fire up the team for each expedition to the warzone, then whose is it?

Brighton played well and with more fire than us at times. Once we had made the substitutions we woke up, so to speak, and began to play much better. A lot of the fans have a modicum of experience which whilst not from as high a level still has the basic necessities.

I have already said that the other posters choice of example was maybe poor. but we still have several people querying AP and whether he plays with enough positivity. If we forget a poor usage of the language we should still be able in our own way whether we agree or not to reach a conclusion.

There have been games like the Swindon away where I could have been forgiven for defecting from the Saints fan family. It was by far the worst performance seen by me in ages. That game the team played with no obvious feeling of urgency. No fight or desir was apparent.

Just because AP picked the team does not, as has been suggested or implied, mean that I accuse or think he sent the team out to do anything other than win. He is our manager and for that I am still grateful. We have been through a hell of a lot of anguish over the last few years.

I agree that as a professional he should know more than us about his level of the beautiful game. We will disagree with him at times over his choice of players as said previously. But at the end of the day it is his job to get the players set up to tackle whatsoever is placed before them. He had already met Brighton but we did not seem prepared for them.

Me asking for him to send the troops out to win is simply asking for him to prepare them for whatever is to come. As the biggest spenders we should know that most, if not all, clubs in this league will treat our games as cup finals. They will not roll over without us performing in a suitable manner for the occassion.

He picks the team. He has brought in most of the players now in the team. He chooses the manner in which these players play. If it is not down to him to fire up the team for each expedition to the warzone, then whose is it?

Brighton played well and with more fire than us at times. Once we had made the substitutions we woke up, so to speak, and began to play much better. A lot of the fans have a modicum of experience which whilst not from as high a level still has the basic necessities.

I have already said that the other posters choice of example was maybe poor. but we still have several people querying AP and whether he plays with enough positivity. If we forget a poor usage of the language we should still be able in our own way whether we agree or not to reach a conclusion.

I don't have a problem with people questioning APs choices I do however get a little annoyed with the negativity. If he ****s up call him on it fair enough (although be prepared to acknowledge that not everyone will see it the sameway). However some on here carry it to extremes for example we won the JPT final by the largest scoreline in it's history yet people still complained that we didn't play well enough.Often it comes across as critiscim for the sake of it.

To pick up on some other points I believe AP did prepare for Brighton as we swaped from a 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 an indication to me that AP is prepared to change things up for different oppostion. On the o/s there is an article today about AP traveling to watch Orient yesterday in preperation for tomorrows match. Like all good managers he does his homework but no manager can ever be totally sure what the oppostion is going to do.

Postivity is an interesting choice of word. A few people on here say the team/AP are negitive or defensive but that doesn't seem to tally with the fact that we have the second highest goal difference in the league, have two of the top scorers in the league and several attacking wing/midfield players, that we have only failed to score in 5 matches all season and have scored 3 or more goals in 15 games this season.

My personal assessment of AP is that he instinctively wants to avoid defeat first and win second. His changes from defensive to more attacking formations are sometimes enforced by events during a game but often late in the game. He sometimes sticks to 4-4-2 for the next match when to change it would mean changing a winnning team but he reverts to 4-5-1 very regularly despite having 3 of the most talented strikers in this league, all capable of playing at the next level.

Sorry Delldays but those stats are not right, as we played games like Southend, Gillingham, Oldham and Hartlepool 4-5-1 with Connolly coming off the bench.

I wasn't at those games but my first thought would be that by bringing on Connolly we have changed formation.

I don't have a problem with people questioning APs choices I do however get a little annoyed with the negativity. If he ****s up call him on it fair enough (although be prepared to acknowledge that not everyone will see it the sameway). However some on here carry it to extremes for example we won the JPT final by the largest scoreline in it's history yet people still complained that we didn't play well enough.Often it comes across as critiscim for the sake of it.

To pick up on some other points I believe AP did prepare for Brighton as we swaped from a 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 an indication to me that AP is prepared to change things up for different oppostion. On the o/s there is an article today about AP traveling to watch Orient yesterday in preperation for tomorrows match. Like all good managers he does his homework but no manager can ever be totally sure what the oppostion is going to do.

Postivity is an interesting choice of word. A few people on here say the team/AP are negitive or defensive but that doesn't seem to tally with the fact that we have the second highest goal difference in the league, have two of the top scorers in the league and several attacking wing/midfield players, that we have only failed to score in 5 matches all season and have scored 3 or more goals in 15 games this season.

As you say, the stats don't back up what a lot of the negative posters think is going on.

As you say, the stats don't back up what a lot of the negative posters think is going on.

While I haven't been to every match this season, I can't think of one I've been to where we played negative football. We always look like a team thats going to score and when we don't it's normally down to missed chances rather than not creating chances.