Did the JPT cost us the Play Offs?

Ian the Red

Cant be bothered any more SOGGY. Every time I answer any vaguely footballing point you have to make, you mix in loads of personal abuse. I am very bored of your psychotic stalking. Find another victim.

Typical, every time you are put on the spot to substantiate your negative agenda you back off. I am still waiting to hear how much you think it will cost to buy our way out of this division?

Also, how does someone rack up over 12,000 posts spouting the same old negative stuff?

Well having read most of the points raised I find myself siding with APLINE!!!

1 The cups did cost us games in the league - an ever changing side in Jan and Feb, players such as Lambert playing too often, etc.

2 We have undoubtedly under performed with the players we now have since Jan

3 Teams like Derby, Hull etc did not have someone with money behind them hence why they struggle

4 Marcus did not buy the club to float around the lower leagues and win a 2 bit cup

5 I watch Saints to see them win, anyone who does not want to see their team in the prem obviously does not want to see their team win too often!

Having watched Saints for over 40 years I have seen many, many highs and many, many lows. To have someone like Marcus buy the club and make available huge resources is an enormous committment and one for which he will want a huge return. That being the prem and no doubt the Champion League in time.

We should be focusing on the play offs now - 7 points off in Jan, 11 points at the start of April is not go enopugh. By going up this season that would give us 2 seasons in the fizzy pop league to consolidate and build and then the prem. If I were NC I would have aimed for that goal and allowed the manager to buy as many players as he wanted in order to fulfil that target. NC has, I believed done just that.... the problem is the has not produced the goods..... yet.

Yes, it is still possible to reach the play offs, I think Colchester need 14 points from 8 games to reach 79 points and Huddesfield 17 points. We need 24 to reach 78. The others need 79 as we have afar better goal difference.

As Alps said anyone who thinks we will walk this league next season should think again, it will not be easy.

So did the JPT cost us the play offs? No doubt in my mind it did.

4 Marcus did not buy the club to float around the lower leagues and win a 2 bit cup

We don't know, of course, but we could all see how much he enjoyed last Sunday. There's quite a bit of money to be made from this club in the lower leagues and I wouldn't be surprised to see a profit over this season. Maybe the money from the cup runs will help loosen the funding in the summer?

I agree that the JPT has probably not helped our league form.

I am firmly of the view that the JPT and FA Cup did not hinder our league form.

Had we gone out in the early rounds I doubt the home league gates would have been as high as they are.

Winning breeds confidence in players and fans. There is a real feel good factor at the club.

There are other reasons for our league form not being as good as many expected. We have just not been good enough tactically.

The reason we aren't in the playoffs is the matches at Exeter, Tranmere etc. It's not a problem but it is fact.

How come Colchester are in the play offs then??

I'm not sure whether to ask Sherlock Holmes, or Professor Brian Cox to explain this bizarre phenomanon.

It seems that while our results at Exeter and Brentford have killed our season, Leeds, Norwich and Millwall have escaped unscathed.

This must be a league plot because we are so rich.

Although I suspect it has to do with not winning any games in August and September myself...

Why do people pick on Tranmere but ignor not beating Brentford at home? Or Colchester?

We haven't won enough games, simples.

Why not?

We all fecking know why not.

Well having read most of the points raised I find myself siding with APLINE!!!

1 The cups did cost us games in the league - an ever changing side in Jan and Feb, players such as Lambert playing too often, etc.

2 We have undoubtedly under performed with the players we now have since Jan

3 Teams like Derby, Hull etc did not have someone with money behind them hence why they struggle

5 I watch Saints to see them win, anyone who does not want to see their team in the prem obviously does not want to see their team win too often!

Having watched Saints for over 40 years I have seen many, many highs and many, many lows. To have someone like Marcus buy the club and make available huge resources is an enormous committment and one for which he will want a huge return. That being the prem and no doubt the Champion League in time.

We should be focusing on the play offs now - 7 points off in Jan, 11 points at the start of April is not go enopugh. By going up this season that would give us 2 seasons in the fizzy pop league to consolidate and build and then the prem. If I were NC I would have aimed for that goal and allowed the manager to buy as many players as he wanted in order to fulfil that target. NC has, I believed done just that.... the problem is the has not produced the goods..... yet.

Yes, it is still possible to reach the play offs, I think Colchester need 14 points from 8 games to reach 79 points and Huddesfield 17 points. We need 24 to reach 78. The others need 79 as we have afar better goal difference.

As Alps said anyone who thinks we will walk this league next season should think again, it will not be easy.

So did the JPT cost us the play offs? No doubt in my mind it did.

After watching saints for 40years im surprised you believe that we would walk any league.

I have likewise watched saints for just over 40 years and accept that unless you are one of the big four it does not come easy.Leeds have been in this league for about four seasons, they are just as big as us and in fact have been in postition to get promoted but fallen at the final hurdle. Like Forest who also are a big club it took a long time.

I dont concur that ML has spent a lot of money on players, yes he made a few big money signings (for this league) but it was only to cover the players lost when we went into freefall.

Add the upping of performance as clubs want to put one over on the big fry and you get a problem winning easily.

I would have taken safety and Wembley 6 months ago, and so perhaps too forgiving, next season I may not be if we are not in the top 8 by christmas.

The last thing the club needs is a change of manager and the fans on the teams back if we are not top of the league.

To be there or there abouts with 10 games to go is what we need to be and then put in the charge at the end. Ive seen too many frontrunners fall at the final hurdle due to high expectations over the years.

Also we are still that not great a side as there are too many nearly players in our team.

I am firmly of the view that the JPT and FA Cup did not hinder our league form.

Had we gone out in the early rounds I doubt the home league gates would have been as high as they are.

Winning breeds confidence in players and fans. There is a real feel good factor at the club.

There are other reasons for our league form not being as good as many expected. We have just not been good enough tactically.

The tactics last night at Brighton illustrate the point perfectly. Playing 1 up front when we needed the win is sheer incompetence on the part of Pardew.