Back down to earth, but let's not lose our heads

Colinjb

Same old excuses and justifications for the lack of consistency and lack of ambition.

Where exactly do you get the "lack of ambition from"? Just another one of your delusions. As for inconsistancy. Most clubs suffer from it, yes even those that have spent millions.

Unbelievable.

2-1 down with a minute to play against a team that ripped us part earlier in the season and who are doing well right now....hardly a disaster unless you believe that we are going to win every single game we play. Remind me again? How many games have we lost in 2010 so far???

I seem to remember you singing the praises of a manager who only managed 3 wins in 13? How do you square that arguement?

2-1 down with a minute to play against a team that ripped us part earlier in the season and who are doing well right now....hardly a disaster unless you believe that we are going to win every single game we play. Remind me again? How many games have we lost in 2010 so far???

I seem to remember you singing the praises of a manager who only managed 3 wins in 13? How do you square that arguement?

I assume you are talking about Pearson, another one of your vendettas.

If you cannot see the difference in circumstances, resources, time available and support between Pearson's time in charge and Burleys....er...Pardews, there really is no help for you in this world....

I assume you are talking about Pearson, another one of your vendettas.

If you cannot see the difference in circumstances, resources, time available and support between Pearson's time in charge and Burleys....er...Pardews, there really is no help for you in this world....

Vendetta? I simply pointed out that you used to cream your jeans over him and he only won 3 games in 13 matches for us but that seems okay in Alpineworld.

If you can't see that both Burley and Pardew have excellent points per game record for us then I would suggest that there is little help for you either.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy the season we made the play offs and that you can't seem to enjoy this season either. No doubt you were slagging McMenemy off when we came second to Liverpool in the old Div 1. Still if Pearson goes to Celtic perhaps you would like to support them? I know how much you love Northernerss/Scotsfolk and Celtic are expected to win every game so you would be in your element.

PS. We won a trophy less than a week ago. Sorry that that hasn't made you happy either.

Vendetta? I simply pointed out that you used to cream your jeans over him and he only won 3 games in 13 matches for us but that seems okay in Alpineworld.

If you can't see that both Burley and Pardew have excellent points per game record for us then I would suggest that there is little help for you either.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy the season we made the play offs and that you can't seem to enjoy this season either. No doubt you were slagging McMenemy off when we came second to Liverpool in the old Div 1. Still if Pearson goes to Celtic perhaps you would like to support them? I know how much you love Northernerss/Scotsfolk and Celtic are expected to win every game so you would be in your element.

PS. We won a trophy less than a week ago. Sorry that that hasn't made you happy either.

I made it clear weeks ago that I felt the JPT was nothing to get excited about. I got nervous on the day, but in my opinion it hasnt moved the team on one jot. Last night proved that - another mid-week away cluster-f**k.

Pearson did a superb job of stabilising a severely holed ship (caused by your Messiah Burley) from sinking into the next division with almost no support or money, only for the whole thing to be trashed the next season by the other of your Messiahs. You know that, but are too stubbor, self-opinionated or pig-ignorant to acknowledge it.

However, you prefer to..what was it ?...yes..."cream your jeans" over two managers providing mediocre-cum-satisifactory records despite having complete f**king fortunes to spend in comparison to Pearson.

If you want to have an objective comparison, Pearson did last season what Pardew is about to spectacularly fail to achieve.

I made it clear weeks ago that I felt the JPT was nothing to get excited about. I got nervous on the day, but in my opinion it hasnt moved the team on one jot. Last night proved that - another mid-week away cluster-f**k.

Pearson did a superb job of stabilising a severely holed ship (caused by your Messiah Burley) from sinking into the next division with almost no support or money, only for the whole thing to be trashed the next season by the other of your Messiahs. You know that, but are too stubbor, self-opinionated or pig-ignorant to acknowledge it.

However, you prefer to..what was it ?...yes..."cream your jeans" over two managers providing mediocre-cum-satisifactory records despite having complete f**king fortunes to spend in comparison to Pearson.

If you want to have an objective comparison, Pearson did last season what Pardew is about to spectacularly fail to achieve.

Spot on.

EXCEPT AP did have a tough start to the season in having to sort out the mess he inherited and i don't think that should be forgotten. He's a much better manager than Burley that's for sure

lol. It's almost as if some people forget the minus 10 points. We'd be 1 point off 6th spot today if it wasn't for that fact. Jeez...

Actually i reckon we'd be closer to Leeds and co if we had started on 0 pts too. The 10pts was a huge barrier for us to get over and it held us back (also in terms of being able to attract the right sort of players), you saw our performances improve once we got rid of that.

i think it's fair to say that with no -10 and the same team as we have now, we would be up there with the Norwich's, leeds and millwalls of the league.

Good signs for next season i think.

Those docked 10 points will come back & haunt us at the season's end...

They have haunted us all season. In any normal season last night's result would have been a fairly good one, and our current form would probably be enough for automatic promotion. We are steadily improving and preparing for next season and as far as I can see the only way is up!

We were still on -1 after 10 games, after a two week pre-season. 55 points from the last 28 games, which is top 2 form. I seem to remember discussions at the beginning of the season which talked about getting momentum at the end of this season to go up next, no talk of promotion this season - which seems to be where we are at. Would have liked to have made the play offs, but will be seriously disappointed if we don't go up next season, as I suspect will Mr Cortese.

After the joy of Sunday maybe we should have anticipated a 'poor' result against an in form and resilient Brighton team on their home turf, their windswept, furrowed turf.

What we couldn't anticipate is the shear amount of negativity the poor result can bring.

12 months ago today the club basically died. And to be where we are now is an absolute Miracle.

Avoid the wrist slashing, avoid the misplaced arrogance that we should be walking the league, appreciate that we have done superbly well, after no pre-season, and with still a rather shallow squad in one key area to be where we are.

Football is not a maths equation, it is not a case of pour in enough money and let the good times roll, if it was, Mark Hughes would have led Man City to the premier league in their first season under arabic ownership. It needs more, something often intangible to those on the outside looking in.

We are in a completely charmed position now. After 5 seasons of utter crap we have a bright future. Stay humble, dignified and patient and the good times are on their way back.

Hell, even Fergie had a few dogy YEARS before setting Man utd on course....

An excellent post Colin.

I really don't understand why people are asking for AP to be axed, these people know nothing about football

he's just lead us to our first piece of silverware in many years and we're still in with a shout of making the playoffs despite starting the season on -10points.

plus we're currently unbeated in 4 games, which includes 3 wins and have a home game which we should win and carry on the momentum

Unless your name is Brian Blessed, we have no shout of the play offs. Anyone who thought it possible before this game really are muppets. The fact we keep tripping over our shoe laces keeps completely escaping some fans, we have no chance.

What really worries me is that tactically Pardew is coming off second best against every pikey going, with only Ince as his whipping boy. I really do not know what to make of Pardew, with a lot of his previous at Charlton glossed over by our transfer budget. That does not mean I want him to go at this stage, but we need to be in automatic form next season. If we are not, no one can complain we have not given him enough time or resources.

This season finished after last Sunday for us, it's all about getting things right for next season now.

The problem is Colin IMO, that there are some Saints fans (I decline to call them supporters, unless they attend games) who judge the club, the team and the management only by the commentary on a single performance. This is their only perspective.

Compare that to someone who attends SMS regularly who sees - even feels - the difference in the atmosphere around the stadium. A person who actually enjoys watching the football, primarily because there's some hope, but also because there's 1 or more heroes in the team. There's some interesting aspects to the make-up of the team - i.e. Papa Waigo. I could go on.

You need to BE A PART of the whole experience to KNOW IN YOUR HEART that this season is SO different to the last 5-6 years - so much so that there is hope and enjoyment now.

But none of that will stop us losing (or indeed drawing) games - it happens to the best of 'em. The one thing that will allow us to progress is stability and consistency - attributes that will not surface if we sack our manager after one season.

Another top post...