Papa Waigo

benjii

Recomended to NC and AP by Camara who used top play for Saints.....AP had final say on all players wanted or not.

Fair enough I seem to remember some comment from AP when we signed him on loan about not knowing that much about him. It was early in the season I think we were still trying to rebuild the clubs scouting system back up.

He probably thought you'd have trouble understanding his Senegalise French. Next time, shake his hand and say Bonjour.

Then have a phrase book at the ready. ;)

In the state I was in it would've come out as "Bomshourrrr", so instead I drunkenly rambled on about how he was well good and a legend. Jaidi and Schneiderlin also got the same drunken compliments.

Why say AP doesn't appreciate subtelty, AP found him and brought him here, who else had ever heard of him, well done AP and thanks for using him wisely!

I was under the impression AP new next to nothing about him and NC brought him here after being told about him. (I could be wrong)

That how I understand it. NC said it in one of his solent interviews. Can't remember which one

I'm still amazed at the number of tackles he puts in. When you see his body shape and how he is on the ball you get the impression he's one of those fancy dans wingers, but he's not that at all as he actually puts his foot in properly and that alone endeares me to him.

He is offside a lot, even for man playing on the shoulder, its something he needs to think about a bit more, but I like his pace and every now and then he's going to be offside and clean through, and on the whole he takes his chances.

Think Papa's still finding his feet - maybe its communication thing or just lack of a decent run in the side but he doesn't seem to play as freely or express himself as much as he could.

At times, he's all too happy to pass the ball backwards to the fullback -which is fine in Serie A or B with accomplished players - but with us you know the ball will be hoofed forward and possession will be lost. He should be taking on his man man and trying things but this is only possible with the confidence and understanding that comes from a proper run in the team. Its all been too stop-start.

Should we sign him, I'm confident there's alot more to come. I hope we do.

Good point. He seems to be in and out of the side, which is never easy. The other question is has AP played him out of position far too much. He is clearly much mroe effective up front than at right midfield. I personally felt he should haev got far more opportunities up front.

Foreign players often come good in their second season. If he gets the chance I expect him to be better next season.

Good shout really. 5 goals and 2 shoot-out penalties.

But 4 incredibly vital come from behid goals and one in the final :D Definately player of the tournament. I also would like to say I'm reall happy to see a Papa appreciation thread as I think he's fantastic, cult hero material certainly.

But 4 incredibly vital come from behid goals and one in the final :D Definately player of the tournament. I also would like to say I'm reall happy to see a Papa appreciation thread as I think he's fantastic, cult hero material certainly.

Winning the cup was definitely a team effort but Papa's goals were the all important goals.

Two goals against Torquay in the first round which literally saved our bacon and got us to the penalty shoot out. I remember posting on here when we were 2 down "so much for making Wembley" as it looked lost.

I think the most important goal which even the commentary teams from both Sky and the BBC forgot was his last grasp equaliser against Norwich. I really did think we were out of the cup that night. Norwich were just hitting the form which has since taken them to the top of the league. We were not at our best. I remember thinking its definitely over as Norwich were trying to waste time in the corner of the pitch up Saints end when suddenly Saints broke up field and up popped papa with pretty much the last kick of the match. Its an obvious thing to say but I'll say it anyway without that goal in that particular moment it was over.

Papa's Wembley goal pretty much killed off Carlisle, and although it could not have been an easier chance for him, his performance over the whole tournament deserved it. He may be a frustrating player sometimes with his tendency to get caught offside and not quite being the finished player we would all like him to be but you have to give it to him over the performance of this cup. Without him we would not have our first piece of silverware in over 30 years.

Although he doesn't always shine in the league this has definitely been his tournament. It was great to see him enjoying the moment and celebrating like it meant a lot to him. The whole team deserved it. Its given the whole city a lift and hopefully, dare I say it, the momentum to push on for a play off spot.

So with that in mind I say God Bless Papa Waigo!!!

Winning the cup was definitely a team effort but Papa's goals were the all important goals.

Two goals against Torquay in the first round which literally saved our bacon and got us to the penalty shoot out. I remember posting on here when we were 2 down "so much for making Wembley" as it looked lost.

I think the most important goal which even the commentary teams from both Sky and the BBC forgot was his last grasp equaliser against Norwich. I really did think we were out of the cup that night. Norwich were just hitting the form which has since taken them to the top of the league. We were not at our best. I remember thinking its definitely over as Norwich were trying to waste time in the corner of the pitch up Saints end when suddenly Saints broke up field and up popped papa with pretty much the last kick of the match. Its an obvious thing to say but I'll say it anyway without that goal in that particular moment it was over.

Papa's Wembley goal pretty much killed off Carlisle, and although it could not have been an easier chance for him, his performance over the whole tournament deserved it. He may be a frustrating player sometimes with his tendency to get caught offside and not quite being the finished player we would all like him to be but you have to give it to him over the performance of this cup. Without him we would not have our first piece of silverware in over 30 years.

Although he doesn't always shine in the league this has definitely been his tournament. It was great to see him enjoying the moment and celebrating like it meant a lot to him. The whole team deserved it. Its given the whole city a lift and hopefully, dare I say it, the momentum to push on for a play off spot.

So with that in mind I say God Bless Papa Waigo!!!

Thats probably becuase the BBC had it down as Dan Harding for the goal, although how you get Papa and Dan mixed up is beyond me. In fact the OS match report also gives Harding the credit WTF:smt107

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10280~51121,00.html

Thats probably becuase the BBC had it down as Dan Harding for the goal, although how you get Papa and Dan mixed up is beyond me. In fact the OS match report also gives Harding the credit WTF:smt107

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10280~51121,00.html

the report gives it to Papa

"Russell Martin was booked for a foul on James as three minutes of stoppage time were added on during which time the visitors frustrated the crowd by running the clock, but with virtually the last kick of the game Papa Waigo came up trumps again.

In dramatic fashion the forward poached an effort from close range as a high ball into the box fell to him, taking the match to penalty kicks."

I'd love it if we signed Papa. Despite the fact he hasn't got a great footballing brain, the effort he puts in and the goals he gets are vital. His touch to Rickie in the build up to his goal also showed he has a bit of class about him.

He's great fun to watch, and a funny character to boot.

Waaaigo! Waaaigo!

the report gives it to Papa

"Russell Martin was booked for a foul on James as three minutes of stoppage time were added on during which time the visitors frustrated the crowd by running the clock, but with virtually the last kick of the game Papa Waigo came up trumps again.

In dramatic fashion the forward poached an effort from close range as a high ball into the box fell to him, taking the match to penalty kicks."

Look at the match stats it says harding 90+3 HTH

Look at the match stats it says harding 90+3 HTH

Harding was credited it in just about every match report, despite being nowhere near the ball when it went in. It was definitely Papa that put it in and I'm glad Sunday's match programme had it correct, even if the report on the FL website (last time I looked) still reported it as Harding's goal.

Are you trying to say it wasn't Waigo that scored it? There's a pretty conclusive youtube video from right behind the goal.

No Im not](*,) someone pointed out that the BBC didn't metion Papa's very important goal against Norwich. I was merely pointing out that at the time the goal was wrongly given to Dan Harding and so it's not suprising that Papa didn't get a mention, when even our own OS match stats state Harding 90+3. We all know Papa scored it only a blind man could get Papa and Harding mixed up.

From the FL Website:

SPOT ON

Southampton and Norwich City shared four goals during ninety minutes before having to settle their tie on penalties.

Ndiaye Papa Waigo broke the deadlock for the Saints after 14 minutes but the Canaries levelled through Gary Doherty. Chris Martin, who netted for Luton Town in last year's final, then put Norwich in the lead ten minutes into the second period and the goal looked set to take Paul Lambert's side through until Dan Harding popped up in the third minute of injury time to put the Saints on equal terms and take the game to penalties.

With little to choose between the sides during normal time, it was no surprise the sides equally traded penalties before Bartosz Bialkowski kept out Cody McDonald's sudden death spot kick, leaving substitute Wayne Thomas the responsibility to step up and seal the tie for the Saints, which he duly did and they won through 6-5 on penalties.

He's consistently improved week on week under Pardew, so much so the 'always offside' second verse has now changed to 'onside'.

Sign him up, the guys one of those footballers that clubs get under their skin, he'd stick his head in the way of a train for the club IMO

Love the fact that Papa is getting involved with this years April Fools joke from the club

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2011346,00.html

Got to wonder what he thought was going on when they asked him to pose for it!

OOO

I somehow think he might have been the main target of the Aprl Fool's joke, I'm sure he didn't have any idea what was going on !

What a brilliant header from Lambert to set up the chance, and through the keeper's legs to boot.

And the Norwich fans choking on their Que Sera Seras; love it.

:)

It was a fantastic evening, not only because we won, but because I had my missus (Norwich fan) sat with me at the back of the Kingsland, smiling devilishly. She was most angry with me after penalties. :smt040