Mexican Wave

docker-p

Didn't care for it, but it was a cup final (the Paint Pot as well) and really you've just got to just let all the cheesy stuff slide at a cup final and enjoy doing your own thing.

With 44,000 there (roughly 50% not regular matchgoers, about 25% not been since '05 if ever, lots of girlfriends and nippers, etc.) the day was ever going have a very laddish vibe about it. After all, we take anything over 2,000 to an ordinary away game and it starts getting a bit face-painty!

Just dead happy to see my team win a trophy and share it with 44K Saints, Mexican waving daytrippers or not (getting so mellow these days, lol) :)

I generally hate Mexican waves-generally futile and pointless- however that was the first one I have ever joined in!! And I actually thought it was GOOD FUN and the right occasion for it.

Not planning to ever do another one- but then if we're ever winning 3-0 at Wembley again and we're cruising- who knows?

It amazes me that we can be winning a cup final 3-0 and the only thing are fans can do to keep themselves entertained was do a Mexican wave.

It was incredibly embarrassing and just sums up how gay are fans are in a nut shell.

Some Saints fans aren't happy unless they have something to moan about. Griping about a Mexican wave really is unnnecessary and a bit mean spirited. And the snobbery of some on here is a little grubby to be honest.

After the year we've had as a group of fans what harm did a Mexican wave do? None. I had some 10 year old blowing one of those noisey horns in my ear for the entire match - ususally this would annoy me but for goodness sake WE WERE AT WEMBLEY WINNING!

Can't we just be happy and celebrate? This was a family day out and I pity anyone who bemoans the lighthearted fun way of celebrating such a uplifting day.

Get a life!

Why do it? it doesn't encourage the team. It does nothing other than make the participants look like ***ts.

All respect to the Carlisle fans who ignored it.

Agreed, one of the worst ever sites at a game of football! Thought the Carlisle fans were half decent throughout considering the way the game went. I was surrounded by gormless Saints fans who were completely happy to stand in silence for 90 :smt102

Agreed, one of the worst ever sites at a game of football! Thought the Carlisle fans were half decent throughout considering the way the game went. I was surrounded by gormless Saints fans who were completely happy to stand in silence for 90 :smt102
I sky plussed the game and watched it when I got in last night, the only singing I could hear was from us Saints fans, you just love a moan.

I think that they're a bit naff but was I participating? Yes - Of course I was...we were 3-0 up & there were no miserable sods around to spoil the fun & plenty of kids who loved it.

When you & I are dead Docker-P, they'll be the ones supporting, moaning....generally being Saints supporters & who are we to spoil their future enjoyment?

What a day though...not going to let someone else's hangover driven grump spoil it.

Great day all in all.

Two things that annoyed me was the constant amount of people getting out there seats to go to the concourse area. Particulary when there was a free kick or corner about to be taken. People that left there seat 5-10 mins before half time and got back late missed a couple of goals - never understand why people do this!

The mexican wave was really annoying. I paid £34 to watch a football match not to have people getting standing up blocking my view every minute or so. I am not a party pooper just mexican waves should be saved for tennis at wimbledon or something.

Bloody better not start doing them at wimbledon, that would really **** me off. best they stay in America at a little league baseball game.

Worst part of the day.

Shows that we still have lower division fans.

Au contraire, shows that we still have upper division (PL plastic) fans in my view :) I hope we always have lower division fans as they are often the real supporters. Don't like mexican waves, but to be honest the game was over as a spectacle and people were looking for something to do. Even I participated, I think for the first time ever (half-heartedly but I did). LOL at the people that think Carlisle ignored it, I think it was the empty seats that did it, when one end of the stadium is empty mexican waves are doomed to failure (so there was a good side to the empty seats after all).

Mexican waves are a bit naff, but it was a fun day out for us all and, what the hell, it's not like we have to put up with them every other week at SMS.

A one off is ok, and I actually enjoyed participating. (I enjoyed booing the Carlisle fans more tbh.)

Bad fans, wussn't they docker? Didn't have 8 pints of warm lager instide them. Plastics. Don't know how to support the lads. Mexican wave. Fooey

8 pints!!!!! Get real fella.

As someone else pointed out you can add face painting by anyone older than 12 to the charge sheet. But you can be reassured i didn't let it spoil my day.

Having said all that, if we had started a Mexican wave when 4 goals down that might just have been socially acceptable. I'll check my book on football crowd etiquette and get back to you.

Remember, families, rattles and folk just enjoying it was around for about 70 years in football, before being hijacked by the 'real men' and the need for cages and alcohol bans... I am not a fan of the Mexican Wave, but if folk want to do it and enjoy it good for them... there are soem miserable ***ts around

I knew we'd agree on something if I was on here long enough.

I hate Mexican waves, they are for w@nkers, and performed by w@nkers and plastics.

Mmm, the irony is that a lot of the people who like the Mexican wave are those that would be critical of the Northam lot and the regular away fans who stand at games.

I can't stand the Mexican wave. I should imagine that watching that on the TV would have been by some distance the highlight of a miserable weekend for Skates fans.

i reckon docker-p was sat in front of me in block 135. Possibly the most miserable person I have ever seen at a football game. Even more shocking considering it was Wembley

Not me in block 135, besides i was having a ball, lager and rum chasers from 7.30 in the morning always puts me in good spirits.

Flags - not a problem, mexican waves - not a problem, adults with face paint/wigs/w******d hats - weird but not a problem, but those ****ing annoying air horns did get on my nerves. Not so much in the ground but when some ****s start blowing them in the pub (and i've got a mild hangover) it's a bloody annoying.

Not me in block 135, besides i was having a ball, lager and rum chasers from 7.30 in the morning always puts me in good spirits.

You're the one with the avatar symbolic of you p*ssing on what could be the club's special edition 125 years anniversary shirt.

You're hardly qualified as an arbiter of good taste, are you?

Why do it? it doesn't encourage the team. It does nothing other than make the participants look like ***ts.

The Carlisle fans were up at the crack of dawn,five hour trip down,team losing 3-nil and not fancying the trek home. Not the best of conditions in which to do a wave.

Can't stand fans who can't stand mexican waves - clearly plastics.

Can't stand fans who Can't stand fans who can't stand mexican waves - clearly plastics!!

If fans are watching the wave, they're not exactly watching what the bloody hell they paid to go and watch. If people want to do it, it's their choice, but I can't personally understand it.

The Carlisle fans were up at the crack of dawn,five hour trip down,team losing 3-nil and not fancying the trek home. Not the best of conditions in which to do a wave.

They started their own little one amongst themselves at the end. It looked amazing from where I was sitting so can only imagine how great we must have looked considering we had so many more fans.

An intriguing thread, this. I've been of the view that a Mexican Wave, whether at a football, rugby or cricket match, is a clear sign the fans are bored stiff and have no interest in what is happening on the field of play. Yet reading so many comments in favour of it is making me think again.

The key question has yet to be asked ... Why 'Mexican'?

Someone got out of bed the wrong way! Lighten up fella!

If anyone should have been grumpy when that started, it was me. 4.5hrs on breaking down trains, sweating my nuts off running up & down tube escalators & stairs & missing all the build up, first half hr & the first goal. I was sooooo wound up but the Mexican Wave was funny. Harmless fun, taking the p*ss out of Carlisle who were clearly not in the mood to join in! It was one of those light hearted moments of people's good cheer that helped lighten my mood after a terrible journey.

I'd be more embarrassed by the completely wrecked, over excited Saints fan screaming Red Army non stop (while p*ssing against wheelie bins & trying to chat up passing female motorists stuck in the Wembley congestion!)

Much more embarrassing than a few people jumping up & down in their seats (& it looks good on cam & the kids/parents enjoy it, not to mention the cheerier folk!) as their team head towards their first piece of silverware in decades! It's a Wembley final. We were scoring for fun...FFS.

Edited by Gordon Mockles

And when we scored, some people around me had the audacity to cheer and then others bashed their hands together making a strange 'clapping' noise? I can't understand why these people do this, we'd already scored, were we encouraging them to run back to the centre circle really quickly? Mor*ns.

And then, when the whistle blew after 90mins, some people stayed behind and started that cheering, clapping thing again? What encouragement do they need to climb those stairs and lift that cup? Bizarre.

Then in the pub, and so I'm led to believe, in other pubs across North London AND even at the railway station, some so-called 'fans' were still heard to be singing and clapping and all sorts! Idiots. We'd already won, thew team didn;t need any more support, they should all just go home and sit in the dark.

I don't understand the need to get quite so completely wrecked before watching a football game but maybe I'm getting old?!

I love a drink & do drink too much when I'm out but generally after the game. I like to watch the football & have my wits about me (& not continually making people stand up to let me out for toilet breaks). Chasers at 7:30am?! WTF?! Each to their own.

To be fair, I found all the p*ssheads continually blocking my view, walking down the isles & standing up more annoying. (esp. towards the end when their bladder retention became about 10min intervals!) Still, they missed Lallana's goal so hope the beer was worth it.