South coast of France

Baj

Visit France regulary for years.

Biarritz can be a bit ropey weather wise, although its nice. I prefer Montpellier area. Sete is lovely and the weather is better, I would recommend it to anyone. Me and Mrs Duck would like to retire there one day.

Shhhhh!!! We don't want everyone to know ! ;) I haven't lived down here for 37 years just to have any tom, d i ck and harry mootching around the area. I'm sure your Lordship and her Ladyship have the same good tastes like Saint Landrew and myself. I have to say Robsk II obviously knows a thing or two and has good tastes when he quotes Ardeche.

I shan't sleep. At this rate, I'll have NORM and his clan of Micks and Pipers down here drinking the fountains of local tapwater dry.

Shhhhh!!! We don't want everyone to know ! ;) I haven't lived down here for 37 years just to have any tom, d i ck and harry mootching around the area. I'm sure your Lordship and her Ladyship have the same good tastes like Saint Landrew and myself. I have to say Robsk II obviously knows a thing or two and has good tastes when he quotes Ardeche.

I shan't sleep. At this rate, I'll have NORM and his clan of Micks and Pipers down here drinking the fountains of local tapwater dry.

Agree that Monpellier is a lovely city and that the area around there is very pretty. I have only a couple of little niggles about that stretch of the South of France; you have to be careful where you walk in many of the towns because the French dogs can sh*t where they like and nobody cleans up after them and secondly the number of North African street hawkers and tinkers is a bit of a nuisance sometimes. Other than that, I have also considered that area as a retirement option too.

I've been to a few of the resorts around that region with Eurocamp over the past few years (Vias, Argeles, Serignan) and have had good holidays as they're great for my young kids but, having been brought up with holidays in the area around Le Lavandou (Cavaliere and Cavalaire), I much, much prefer it along that stretch - although it can get monumentally busy around St Tropez and St Maxime in July and August

Are Eurocamp good? Thinking of going away with them this year.

If you decide to go west. the coast from Bordeuax to Spain has great beaches, good surfing too.

Bordeaux is a great city, and if you want to go further down , San Sebastian just south of the Spanish border has two sheltered beaches and 155 tapas bars, and is much cheeper to eat and drink than in France (We stayed at Pension Belles Artes which comes top of the list on trip advisor) .

They're marginally cheaper than an apartment complex, so the value depends entirely on the camp site you're in. I went three times with them, once great, once average, once bad - but it all really boiled down to the weather and the people around. Staying in a tent is fun until it rains and you get water running through. The caravans are fine, but it's all down to the camp site - some of the caravan sites are clearly run by fascists. FYI, the best time we had was in the (then) low key L'Ecureils near St Jean de Luz in the Vendee. Get a corner pitch under trees. Hope for good weather...

They're marginally cheaper than an apartment complex, so the value depends entirely on the camp site you're in. I went three times with them, once great, once average, once bad - but it all really boiled down to the weather and the people around. Staying in a tent is fun until it rains and you get water running through. The caravans are fine, but it's all down to the camp site - some of the caravan sites are clearly run by fascists. FYI, the best time we had was in the (then) low key L'Ecureils near St Jean de Luz in the Vendee. Get a corner pitch under trees. Hope for good weather...

Don't think I'd stay in a tent. I'd book one of the mobile home type things.

Don't think I'd stay in a tent. I'd book one of the mobile home type things.

Went with Keycamp to a site in the Dordogne. Kids had a great time with all the others running around, and me and the missus sat in the sunshine and relaxed. If you have kids they are great places to go as they should make lots of new friends very quickly.

Been with them a few times and as the OP said, it depends on the site. Most are fine but we went to one in Normandy where my 3-year old was told off for kicking a beach ball (no games except in the games field).

They are very pricey.

Try Canvas they're the best value we've used although they're not on many sites. Haven are pretty good value on other people's sites, they're own sites tend to be a bit like Blackpool. If you're going to use the main people, use Key Camp, they're owned by the same people as Eurocamp but cheaper.

I would recommend Med coast as you'll get the weather. Our favourites were Club Farret in vias sur mer, and one just over the Spainish border, El Delphin Verde. I have 4 children and when we went the ranged from 8 to 15 and everyone of them had a fantastic time. El Delphin Verde had the better Sports events, if that's what they're interested in.

Yes, been with them about 8 times since 2005, and got two more sorted for this year (May bank holiday and August). As others have said, they can be pricey, but it depends on the site and tuype of caravan - last year we did Serignan Plage for a week (on the Med in Languedoc) and a week in Roda De Bara, south of Barcelona. Cost in August was 50% more than our holiday for the same period this year where we're going to Lido di Jesolo nr Venice and Lake Annecy.

I tend to avoid the sites around Brittany and the Vendee (have been to the Vendee once with them), as I don't really want my holiday to feel like Britain abroad. Some sites are better than others, and the ones that I wouldn't rush back to would be those that we've had overnighters in up north.

Decent sites in Dordogne (Le Bugue, Salignac and Sarlat I've been to). Spanish sites (Playa D'Aro and Roda de Bara) are good, but bigger. Serignan (the smaller of the two) and Vias are good, but Vias is much more crowded and I would choose Serignan first. The Loire has decent sites and we've been to most of them for 2 or 3 days. Likewise, sites at Royan and Labenne Ocean (Gascony) are very good.

Some of the sites I've been to at the end of May, I wouldn't want to go to in the height of summer as they would be mentally busy (Royan, Argeles).

I'm a but surprised that some have said Keycamp are cheaper - not in my experience. Both, though, hook you in on the 'previous customer discount' basis, which tends to keep you brand loyal. Canvas is much cheaper, but I don't think the sites are as good. When they do share sites, Canvas tend to have the poorer pitch - in Roda De Bara for example, Canvas were miles up the hill. Friends who have been with all three say Keycamp / Eurocamp are much of a muchness (Keycamp possibly slightly better), and Canvas the cheaper version.

All in all, I like their holidays. Sites are too limited for my liking and it is a bit of pot luck on the pitches that you get - some Eurocamp pitches are better than others on the same site, so it's luck of the draw.