Saints 3-2 Monkey Hangers - Reaction

Arizona

Didn't go at all for the last two seasons then?

Yes, and all the season at SMS before that. I should have said, the worst game this season to be fair. I thought it was the worst game because not much football was played. The ball was hoofed or mispassed or miscontrolled too often by both sides to develop any sort of pattern.

We played a lot better against Swindon and got nothing which just shows how football works sometimes.

I agree it wasn't our best team and AP deserves credit for changing the formation, but overall we were poor and couldn't do the basics right. We will lose more matches than we win if we continue to play like that.

Happy enough with that, 3 points, job done. Fonté was on fire, Lambert took his goal well, Waigo needs some studs on his boots and it was good to see a good performance from Hammond, who seems to be under a bit of pressure from know-it-all SaintsWeb Forum members.

More interestingly though, I would like to know what on earth is going on here.. Looks a bit dodgy to me:

0,,10280~8692787,00.jpg

that is funny!! I didnt know we had any germans in the squad.

Must have been watching a different game to you and some of the others on here as I thought Harding's one footedness was a real worry tonight. He just can't use his right foot and was lucky he didn't get caught in possession when he kept turning onto his left to play the ball. Something which you can bet Carlisle will focus on in the game on Sunday. If we had had a right footed player in that position tonight I think we would have walloped Hartlepool.

Oh I don't disagree, a number of times I saw him use his left foot when it would have been easier to use his right, but he is what he is - a left footed left back playing out of position. It's not his fault he doesn't have a right foot of note, I'm sure he didn't choose to play right back, but he did because Pardew told him to and because he is a model professional. Harding exemplifies being a pro footballer. He does what is asked of him, to the best of his abilities, and is very vocal during games, spurring us on when we're struggling, and marshalling the back line. I noticed once or twice he was yelling at Seaborne to hold the line. He could potentially be a captain for us one day IMO.

Playing with his left foot, I still think he had a good game. He worked so hard and had to deal with the fact that he was out of position, and still got forward to have a few shots. (Ok, not great ones...) Our side is so much richer for having him in it, although as has been said, I do hope James is fit on Sunday so Harding can start at left back.

Lastly, I forgot to mention it before, but kudos for Saints fans for applauding the second Hartlepool goal. Completely spontaneous, it was nice to see we appreciate good football even if it comes from the opposition.

Pardew well and truly ****ed things up with the formation. We looked all at sea and they deservedly went ahead. He did though show great sense in swapping back to a 4-4-2 and thankfully he was rewarded almost immediately.

The first half was decent. Lots of attacking passing football. The second half showing was appauling. No coincidence that Morgan was subbed on 46 minutes and then we hardly put two passes together. Anyone in any doubt as to his importance to the side need only compare the two halves. A good win and a deserved win as they didnt really hurt us (long strike aside) after the first ten minutes.

Davis 6 didn't do a lot, a few good kicks and a few bad.

Harding 7 very solid as usual. No one bullies him which is great. He cut inside a lot, as you'd imagine, but never in any trouble defensively - which is his job remember. Obviously better on the left but better than Thomas and James IMO.

Fonte 9 won more headers than any other play. Possibly more than all the rest put together. At fault for their first (along with seaborne), but after that didn;t put a foot wrong. Hoofs it a fair bit if you were going to be picky.

Seaborne 7 not as strong in the air as Jaidi and gets bullied a bit, but he was committed and apart from the first goal he had a decent game. I think too many have made their minds up about him and don't judge him on the individual game performance.

Mills 5 some poor passing an crossing very poor especially when given time to think about it. Made me feel nervous, though not really in much trouble.

Puncheon 3 A decent run to set up the third, although the defender made it very easy for him by selling himself so cheap. A header on to the bar for the first. Thats the good stuff out the way, the rest was dire. Poor touch, stumbling over his own feet, lack of assertiveness. Just poor. He has gone from our bets to worst in 2.5 games. I just can;t get my head around it.

Hammond 7 Best game for a while, although he never got hold of it in the second half showing how important Morgan is.

Morgan 9 Immaculate. Outside of the right boot chip down the line perfect weight for Mills to run onto and cross. Was that playmaking I see before me? He's getting better and better. One negative was the over exageration of injury. He is French I suppose.

Waigo 5 Not nearly enough for me. I feel sorry for him though as he is a striker. He is our best RM option with the current injury problems and did OK I suppose, but he can do more.

Lambert 9 I thought his all round game was better today. The finish was tremendous, just as good as Saturday perhaps. Everytime he gets it he looks likely to score.

Barnard 7 lost when we had three up but then found his positon - right in the six yard box, a proper goal hanger. Has anyone scored mroe tap in then him this season. Works very hard, but not a great deal went for him.

Wotton 4 won some headers, but his lack of control and confidence tro bring it down and paly showed exactly why we need some cover at CM.

Connelly 5 nothing of note.

Edited by Chez

Happy enough with that, 3 points, job done. Fonté was on fire, Lambert took his goal well, Waigo needs some studs on his boots and it was good to see a good performance from Hammond, who seems to be under a bit of pressure from know-it-all SaintsWeb Forum members.

More interestingly though, I would like to know what on earth is going on here.. Looks a bit dodgy to me:

0,,10280~8692787,00.jpg

Lol, funny.

Not the first dodgy pic this season either. Wasn't there a doggy style shot between llalana and waigo recently?! :-)

whatever keeps the moral up lads ;-)

Someone said the other week that Saints don't know how to win ugly. Well last 2 games have been as ugly as hell and we've walked away with 6 points.

The starting formation was a very bad move by AP - players all looked totally lost and we were lucky not to be more than 1 behind by the time HPool actually scored.

Last night was a good opportunity to watch Morgan closely in first half and I can't recall him actually wasting a ball. He just seems to find all the time he needs. As has been posted by many others before - you only seem to notice him when he isn't there (if that makes sense!)

A win is a win but lets hope we improve performaces again soon.

Pardew well and truly ****ed things up with the formation. We looked all at sea and they deservedly went ahead. He did though show great sense in swapping back to a 4-4-2 and thankfully he was rewarded almost immediately.

The first half was decent. Lots of attacking passing football. The second half showing was appauling. No coincidence that Morgan was subbed on 46 minutes and then we hardly put two passes together. Anyone in any doubt as to his importance to the side need only compare the two halves. A good win and a deserved win as they didnt really hurt us (long strike aside) after the first ten minutes.

Davis 6 didn't do a lot, a few good kicks and a few bad.

Harding 7 very solid as usual. No one bullies him which is great. He cut inside a lot, as you'd imagine, but never in any trouble defensively - which is his job remember. Obviously better on the left but better than Thomas and James IMO.

Fonte 9 won more headers than any other play. Possibly more than all the rest put together. At fault for their first (along with seaborne), but after that didn;t put a foot wrong. Hoofs it a fair bit if you were going to be picky.

Seaborne 7 not as strong in the air as Jaidi and gets bullied a bit, but he was committed and apart from the first goal he had a decent game. I think too many have made their minds up about him and don't judge him on the individual game performance.

Mills 5 some poor passing an crossing very poor especially when given time to think about it. Made me feel nervous, though not really in much trouble.

Puncheon 3 A decent run to set up the third, although the defender made it very easy for him by selling himself so cheap. A header on to the bar for the first. Thats the good stuff out the way, the rest was dire. Poor touch, stumbling over his own feet, lack of assertiveness. Just poor. He has gone from our bets to worst in 2.5 games. I just can;t get my head around it.

Hammond 7 Best game for a while, although he never got hold of it in the second half showing how important Morgan is.

Morgan 9 Immaculate. Outside of the right boot chip down the line perfect weight for Mills to run onto and cross. Was that playmaking I see before me? He's getting better and better. One negative was the over exageration of injury. He is French I suppose.

Waigo 5 Not nearly enough for me. I feel sorry for him though as he is a striker. He is our best RM option with the current injury problems and did OK I suppose, but he can do more.

Lambert 9 I thought his all round game was better today. The finish was tremendous, just as good as Saturday perhaps. Everytime he gets it he looks likely to score.

Barnard 7 lost when we had three up but then found his positon - right in the six yard box, a proper goal hanger. Has anyone scored mroe tap in then him this season. Works very hard, but not a great deal went for him.

Wotton 4 won some headers, but his lack of control and confidence tro bring it down and paly showed exactly why we need some cover at CM.

Connelly 5 nothing of note.

I agree with most of your markings

Thought Puncheon was better in the second half but pretty useless in the First.

Waigio did score and make a goal but I was continually wondering what was happening down the right and the left footed Harding did not help.

Actually thought Hammond played better when Morgan went off

Good 3-points we won ugly again which is a bonus, just hope that we win in style on Sunday, but I'd except just winning again. We just need top keep winning now. Great finish from Lambert & great goal for their 2nd.

How did Wotton play did he touch the ball? he was hardly mentioned on the commentary last night.

Good 3-points we won ugly again which is a bonus, just hope that we win in style on Sunday, but I'd except just winning again. We just need top keep winning now. Great finish from Lambert & great goal for their 2nd.

How did Wotton play did he touch the ball? he was hardly mentioned on the commentary last night.

Yes he did touch the ball a few times but it did not often end up with a Saints Player

He just seems to find all the time he needs. As has been posted by many others before - you only seem to notice him when he isn't there (if that makes sense!)

Really???

Just recently I've been noticing him all the time, amazing the number of times I think he's in trouble and is about to get caught in possesion, only for him to cleverly turn and suddenly be in acres of space...

Pardew has done a brilliant job with Schneiderlin.

Really???

Just recently I've been noticing him all the time, amazing the number of times I think he's in trouble and is about to get caught in possesion, only for him to cleverly turn and suddenly be in acres of space...

French system, know you're in trouble long before it happens.

Unfortunately never applies to governments or civil servants.

Really???

Apologies - your sentiment was the one that i was trying to get across. Have been very impressed with him, he just doesn't always seem to get the recognition he always deserves. When he is in the side his contribution seems to go unnoticed by many, but when he isn't in the team we seem to struggle.

(Should have worked harder on my English O-Levels)

Another dismal performance made even worse by placing Waigo as CM, and Hammond as RM, at least that's what I think it was. Waigo is RM in a 4-5-1 or striker in 4-4-2, I think that is clear. RM in a 4-4-2 is not ideal, but he can do it. He is avoiding heading the ball, tackles with his feet only, and doesn't enjoy the physical side of the game, but he has now scored 10 from 10 starts and 17 subs appearances. I haven't got an assist record, but it must be good. That is, in my estimation, a quite remarkable record.

Schneiderlin is now growing out into that playmaking CM which we have been crying out for for years. Superb yesterday.

Puncheon didn't have his heart in the game at all. Ought to have been subbed if we had had an alternative. What's happened to Lee Holmes? H-pool's second goal came from their RB. Where was Puncheon?

Mills fills me with worries. He never seemed to provide any difficulties for H-pool's LM and in the second half he was often not there at all. Has he got it even at this level?

I'm pleased that we won, but I didn't see anything in yesterday's game which gave me any encouragement that there are some clear ideas on purpose from management.

Another dismal performance made even worse by placing Waigo as CM, and Hammond as RM, at least that's what I think it was. Waigo is RM in a 4-5-1 or striker in 4-4-2, I think that is clear. RM in a 4-4-2 is not ideal, but he can do it. He is avoiding heading the ball, tackles with his feet only, and doesn't enjoy the physical side of the game, but he has now scored 10 from 10 starts and 17 subs appearances. I haven't got an assist record, but it must be good. That is, in my estimation, a quite remarkable record.

Schneiderlin is now growing out into that playmaking CM which we have been crying out for for years. Superb yesterday.

Puncheon didn't have his heart in the game at all. Ought to have been subbed if we had had an alternative. What's happened to Lee Holmes? H-pool's second goal came from their RB. Where was Puncheon?

Mills fills me with worries. He never seemed to provide any difficulties for H-pool's LM and in the second half he was often not there at all. Has he got it even at this level?

I'm pleased that we won, but I didn't see anything in yesterday's game which gave me any encouragement that there are some clear ideas on purpose from management.

But we won and I enjoyed the game and I never thought we would lose.

Having Harding at RB and playing Wotton for the second half did not help either

Waigo didn't play CM. He started in the hole behind the front 2 and reverted to the right wing after 'Pools scored their goal.

I don't know I think yesterday proved 4-4-2 is the way to go tried something different and we where awful went to 4-4-2 and bossed the rest of the half. 4-4-2 is what the players seem most comfortable playing it seems. Only problem is we need a quaility replacement for Morgan without him we're only half the team we can be (as shown by the second half yesterday). I think Mills has had some good games for us he was pretty solid on saturday againt the Dons and he kept Harding out of the team for a few matches, Mills just seems inconsistent but he's still quite young. Puncheon seems very ordinary so far every time I've seem him although people tell me he was brillant against Huddersfield and Wallsal so who knows.

playoffs still a possible if brentford held on we would of only been 10 points off, still 11 is not to bad Wycome can do us a favour if they nick a draw on sat for us agaist them, and if we win our game in hand were have over them we will only be 9 points off pressure on them and were catch them.

COYS

What was with the celebration for Lambert's goal?

Papa cleaned his boots and then Lambert pretended to give him a coin.

Let's kick racism out of football.

It was a mickey take out of the Hartlepool players who had gone through the same routine when they scored their first goal. Anything you can do we can do better.

Did anyone else notice that quite a few Saints fans applauded their second goal, including myself. It was a great strike, admittedly, and it proves what a bl00dy gentlemanly lot we are....:)

Like me a number around me were pretty speechless it must have been one of the best goals scored at St Mary's in the last couple of seasons

Like me a number around me were pretty speechless it must have been one of the best goals scored at St Mary's in the last couple of seasons

Was pretty similar to Thomas's strike against Ipswich, can't help but feel the goalscorer wouldn't have had so much time if Schneiderlin was still on the pitch.

Was pretty similar to Thomas's strike against Ipswich, can't help but feel the goalscorer wouldn't have had so much time if Schneiderlin was still on the pitch.

Yes I forgot about that

At half time I thought we were going to win far more easily than we eventually did but losing Schneiderlin did not help

Don't know why some people are slating Wotton for his performance. I thought that he worked hard and he actually passed it along the ground and played a good lofted ball through to someone on the righ wing.

Let's not abuse our own players, even if they are lame at times.

Don't know why some people are slating Wotton for his performance. I thought that he worked hard and he actually passed it along the ground and played a good lofted ball through to someone on the righ wing.

Let's not abuse our own players, even if they are lame at times.

He was doing a lot of organizing, I saw him having a go at Papa although I think most of it went over his head.