Saints 3-2 Monkey Hangers - Reaction

Arizona

Just back from the game, and for once I don't have to get up for work in the morning, so can post on here!

A win is a win. We were made to work for it, but I got to see five goals, two of them corkers, and all in all it was a satisfactory night. All three of our goals were mistakes by them, I'd really like to see them again on the highlights, but for Barnard's header I think their keeper should have dealt with it better, for Lamberts goal, their defender slipped, and for Waigo's goal, well, I don't really know WHAT they were playing at. At least we capitalised on the chances when we got them.

I notcie Hartlepool only had two shots on target, and they scored from them. We started slowly and Hartlepool's goal didn't come against the run of play. Seaborne and Mills looked very shaky at the back, compared to Harding and Fonte who, I thought, were brilliant; Harding in particular was my MOTM, and I'm not just saying that because he's my favourite player. He could have scored twice in the first half, and was genuinely everywhere you looked.

I thought Morgan was very good until he came off at half time, God knows why, being rested perhaps, I didn't see him pick up a knock. This was perhaps the best I've seen him play. I'll also give big credit to Barnard, who worked his nutsack off. If this was FM, he'd have 20 as his work rate.

Puncheon, Waigo (despite scoring the winner), Seaborne and Mills were all a little shaky for me - Puncheon had one of those games where he's exceptional at times, and poor at others. (A bit like Antonio was when he first arrived.) IMO Waigo was perhaps the weakest player on the pitch for us, he undoubtedly has talent, and pace, and a finishing touch, but I think maybe his concentration waivers, his punt in the second half could have been dangerous.

Finally, praise to Wotton, he wasn't bad when he came on.

God knows how many Hartlepool fans there were but it couldn't have been many - at least they can make the journey back with their right back's screamer fresh in the memory.

Prutton you git, did you HAVE to score Colchester's equaliser?

Must have been watching a different game to you and some of the others on here as I thought Harding's one footedness was a real worry tonight. He just can't use his right foot and was lucky he didn't get caught in possession when he kept turning onto his left to play the ball. Something which you can bet Carlisle will focus on in the game on Sunday. If we had had a right footed player in that position tonight I think we would have walloped Hartlepool.

As for Puncheon he has looked like he's half asleep in the last few games, I thought following last weeks performance against Swindon, he might have been eager to put in a good performance, but no, tonight he was little better than last week. He just doesn't seem switched on and is letting the game pass him by rather than going and getting the ball and imposing himself on the game as he did in his first six weeks with Saints.

Fonte was immense tonight and his class was able to make up for poor showings from Seaborne and Mills. Motm by some distance.

Wotton was his usual complete dross when he came on, he's one of those players that you find baffling that they have managed to become a professional footballer. It's like playing with a handicap when he's on the pitch.

As for Papa, he made one goal and scored what turned out to be the winner and yet he still gets stick, I thought he did okay that punt apart and at least had a positive effect on the game.

I really do hope that Morgan going off was just a precaution, he looked okay after the challenge and seemed to make it to half time with no ill effect. Sunday will be a lot harder without his ability and creative influence in the middle of the pitch.

Fair play to Pardew for his post match comments admitting that he got things wrong tonight and for saying that too many players minds were focussed on Sunday, it certainly looked like it to me.

Always nice to win, although it was a bit scratchy by all accounts. Lets go and win the cup then approach each league game as winnable to the end of the season. If we are going to be a force in this division next season we need to finish this season as a winning team both for confidence, and player retention over the summer.

Must have been watching a different game to you and some of the others on here as I thought Harding's one footedness was a real worry tonight. He just can't use his right foot and was lucky he didn't get caught in possession when he kept turning onto his left to play the ball. Something which you can bet Carlisle will focus on in the game on Sunday. If we had had a right footed player in that position tonight I think we would have walloped Hartlepool.

As for Puncheon he has looked like he's half asleep in the last few games, I thought following last weeks performance against Swindon, he might have been eager to put in a good performance, but no, tonight he was little better than last week. He just doesn't seem switched on and is letting the game pass him by rather than going and getting the ball and imposing himself on the game as he did in his first six weeks with Saints.

Fonte was immense tonight and his class was able to make up for poor showings from Seaborne and Mills. Motm by some distance.

Wotton was his usual complete dross when he came on, he's one of those players that you find baffling that they have managed to become a professional footballer. It's like playing with a handicap when he's on the pitch.

As for Papa, he made one goal and scored what turned out to be the winner and yet he still gets stick, I thought he did okay that punt apart and at least had a positive effect on the game.

I really do hope that Morgan going off was just a precaution, he looked okay after the challenge and seemed to make it to half time with no ill effect. Sunday will be a lot harder without his ability and creative influence in the middle of the pitch.

Fair play to Pardew for his post match comments admitting that he got things wrong tonight and for saying that too many players minds were focussed on Sunday, it certainly looked like it to me.

+1 If we play Harding at right back on Sunday we will get beat. Why move your best left back and the player who has been our best attacking option on the left?

We got away with it last night because Hartlepool were shocking up front.

We play narow enough as it is without having your full back having to always come inside making it even more narrow.

I was never worried we would lose though as they were very poor going forward. Fonte was superb at the back snuffed evrything out before it happened.

I think Morgan is key for us on Sunday as he was outstanding again in the first half.

Hartlepools second goal was class and had the stadium applauding.

Bring on wembley - All the above said though, if we play like tonight on Sunday we wont walk all over Carlisle! :-S

COYR!

What do they know ...... our resident Match Fred expert on here had it down as a schoolboy error by us :smt119

What do they know ...... our resident Match Fred expert on here had it down as a schoolboy error by us :smt119

There was some hestitant defending by us that let the ball go to their right back, but I cannot remember us ever helping it off his foot, nor applying the neccessary curl into the top corner.

Certainly one of the top 3 away goals I've seen at St Marys (Andy Williams' and Puncheon's the others).

Regarding Saints - Seaborne does looks a bit of a liability at present, but I am sure with games and time he'll get better. Puncheon was poor in the first half, but the run that led to the 3rd goal was brilliant!

Barnard still goes to ground a bit too much, but a win is a win.

Yep agree with this.I don't know why but left footer's always look uncomfortable playing down the right side. Don't get me wrong i think Dan Harding had a decent game, but i feel we lose something with him not being able to charge down the line and cross, which he didn't do last night.

I honestly thought we would have started with Chris Perry at right back and put Harding back on the left.Joseph Mills didn't have his best game in a Saints shirt last night and along with Puncheon's slow start we were under pressure very early on.

I think i sort of expected this type of game last night, with a lot at stake for players regarding Sunday, although i never felt we would lose the game.Dean Hammond is the player that worries me at the moment, he seems to have lost that little spark that he had, shuffling and hassling through the midfield, i wonder if he truely recovered from that injury.Morgan has more than made up for him though and is turning into a very good player.

Looking forward to Wembley now and in the words of Mike Channon from 1976, we've got to the final, now lets go and win the bloody thing.:p

Edited by Teddy Nutkins

I agree, but the relevance of a certain individual's conduct is becoming more painfully apparent the nearer we edge to the playoff places.

For Christ sake just move on and enjoy the season can't you???

The past is just that, past. Several people conspired to leave us in this mess but they are no longer here.

We won again. And were are going to Wembley on Sunday. Enjoy!

We made hard work of it but a win is a win and with our strikers we always have a goal threat Ricky only needs a sniff great finish from Lambo.

Dan Harding at right back NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! fantastic at left back but no good on the right dont know why we didnt play Perry at right back and Harding left back hope Pards wont make that mistake again.

My god we miss Morgan and Lallana big time they get the ball down and play not our best performance I thougt Hartlepool played well but 3 more points.

Also good to see Lambo & Papa scoring & connoly looking sharp we will need all 3 Sunday.

We made hard work of it but a win is a win and with our strikers we always have a goal threat Ricky only needs a sniff great finish from Lambo.

Dan Harding at right back NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! fantastic at left back but no good on the right dont know why we didnt play Perry at right back and Harding left back hope Pards wont make that mistake again.

My god we miss Morgan and Lallana big time they get the ball down and play not our best performance I thougt Hartlepool played well but 3 more points.

Also good to see Lambo & Papa scoring & connoly looking sharp we will need all 3 Sunday.

Becuase we have no one else, Perry would get done by any half speedy winger. I wasn't there last night (although Harding got quite a few shout outs on the radio) but I was at MK Dons on saturday and Dan had a good game. Of course its not ideal but he is probably the best option we have at the moment, its a move bourne of despration not choice but its the best move we have at the moment.

Not a great performance but not a terrible one either. Thought Harding did ok on the right but it definitely affected the balance of the team. Morgan played well before having to go off. Missed Lallana's trickery and guile. Connolly looked rusty when he came on but the other strikers played well (obviously Lambert was the pick). Fonte MoM for me though, won everything and had a lot of covering to do for the rest of the makeshift back four. Three points, 3 more goals, move on!

One of the worst games of football I've seen at SMS. Neither team could string a number of passes together through the entire game. It's our second poor performance at SMS after the Swindon game so I hope it's not a sign for the rest of the season, or for Sunday as we will struggle to get anything against Carlisle if we play like that. Saints really missed Lallana and Schneiderlin when he went off and Harding at RB is not ideal as Mills is weaker LB and Harding doesn't look comfortable on that side of the pitch. Despite a couple of lapses in communication I thought Seabourne was good, especially in the air and his distribution on the ground was much better than Jaidi's.

A win is a win, but we really laboured to get there and I can see now how the draws and defeats to the likes of Wycombe, Tranmere, Brentford and Exeter away from home have come about if we have played like that.

Game of opinions and you are entitled to yours. But I am disappointed that one of our supporters deems it necessary to slag off so vehemently one of our own players. Wotton has been a model pro over the years and deserves better than that.

Game of opinions and you are entitled to yours. But I am disappointed that one of our supporters deems it necessary to slag off so vehemently one of our own players. Wotton has been a model pro over the years and deserves better than that.

Wotton probably isn't a really bad player in itself,last night he came on to do the job of a very good player and of course lost out in the comparison.The system is tailored on the attributes of Schneiderlin and as Wotton doesn't have them he looks not so great.

One of the worst games of football I've seen at SMS. Neither team could string a number of passes together through the entire game. It's our second poor performance at SMS after the Swindon game so I hope it's not a sign for the rest of the season, or for Sunday as we will struggle to get anything against Carlisle if we play like that. Saints really missed Lallana and Schneiderlin when he went off and Harding at RB is not ideal as Mills is weaker LB and Harding doesn't look comfortable on that side of the pitch. Despite a couple of lapses in communication I thought Seabourne was good, especially in the air and his distribution on the ground was much better than Jaidi's.

A win is a win, but we really laboured to get there and I can see now how the draws and defeats to the likes of Wycombe, Tranmere, Brentford and Exeter away from home have come about if we have played like that.

Hardly our best team though plus AP tried to play a different system (which he admits was a mistake) so I find difficult to be to hard on the boys (that and the fact they did actually win). Swindon was our best eleven in our normal formation and a far far worse performance all thing considered.

Did you include the OTT stewards and police surrounding them?

Looked barely a hundred - still fair play to the ones that did make it.

No, it was just the fans. I am in the centre Kingsland but they were so sparse that it was fairly easy. At the kick-off I made it 160 - 170 but a few more turned up later.

Respect. :prayer:

Cant blame Lowe for us not getting into the Play-off's.

Blame our start this season, and drawing winnable away games having taken the lead

I can blame him, because he should have put us into admin last season before the deadline: it was pretty obvious by then that we were going to be relegated anyway. Only an incompetent self opinionated fool would have let the deadline pass (unless ......... but that's another conspiracy theory..)

No doubt that even without the -10, our results especially in early season when we only got 9 points from 10 games, have simply not been good enough to have otherwise got into the play offs.

There is still hope, but personally I think the aim for our remaining league games must be building and consolodating for next season. Try to win every game of course, but giving the younger inexperienced players a chance from now on is important in our longer term hopes.

Had the current team been together from the start it would have been a better picture and even with -10 I reckon they are good enough to challenge for automatic promotion.

No, it was just the fans. I am in the centre Kingsland but they were so sparse that it was fairly easy. At the kick-off I made it 160 - 170 but a few more turned up later.

Respect. :prayer:

Shows how deceptive appearances can be - and I agree entirely on the respect bit!

Strange atmosphere. Tried to join in with the songs in the Northam but for the most part there was silence around us and it was hard work.

Was slightly better atmosphere than the swindon game but block 9 where I was in the itchen was dead yet again. Had my old man with me who liked it there last time but shant be sitting there again. Felt like I was in a morgue and think i looked out of place getting into the game excitedly!! :D

Bring on season ticket and seat in Itchen North ;)

Working now - curious that it worked when I tested it on my other PC at home in Firefox but then when I tried it in IE it failed!

Saints v Hartlepool highlights

Thanks for those. It confirms what I remember about the first goal, that Mills was running round in circles looking lost, but he wasn't the only one. It was a complete defensive shambles.

Strange atmosphere. Tried to join in with the songs in the Northam but for the most part there was silence around us and it was hard work.

From my seat in Itchen Block 8, I can confirm that the atmosphere was indeed odd. The Northam were so outsung by the few Hartlepool fans at times, it was funny.

When will The Northam grasp the fact that they need to slow down virtually every song they sing?

OWTSGMI when sung slowly is the ONLY song that the whole ground can sing together. It cannot fail to raise the hairs on the back of everyones necks when sung properly (slowly) by the whole ground. Even one turn at low speed and then singing it at 100mph does not work. Spurs sing it well that way, but only because their 2nd and 3rd round are still slower than The Northam tries to sing it. Singing it as fast as The Northam does, only serves to lose the rest of the ground immediately (as does starting with "I wanna be...." as that never even finishes a full turn)

Even the Rickie Lambert song is starting to lose it's impressiveness at times, due to it being sung too quickly. Sing it slower and pronouncing the words properly rather than rushing them sounds impressive (think the Liverpool/Torres version speed).

I pity the girlfriends/wives of The Northam males... if their speed in bed is anything like their speed to finish songs so quickly, that's a lot of ****ing women.

When will The Northam grasp the fact that they need to slow down virtually every song they sing?

Even the Rickie Lambert song is starting to lose it's impressiveness at times, due to it being sung too quickly. Sing it slower and pronouncing the words properly rather than rushing them sounds impressive (think the Liverpool/Torres version speed).

I couldn't agree more! All the songs from a distance just sounds like background noise, interspersed with super fast clapping.

Happy enough with that, 3 points, job done. Fonté was on fire, Lambert took his goal well, Waigo needs some studs on his boots and it was good to see a good performance from Hammond, who seems to be under a bit of pressure from know-it-all SaintsWeb Forum members.

More interestingly though, I would like to know what on earth is going on here.. Looks a bit dodgy to me:

0,,10280~8692787,00.jpg

what was the fonte one didnt hear that being sung?

loved the barney one tho lol

northam northam give us a song lol.

At one point there was a song to the tune of 'Don't you want me' by Human League - "Jose Fonte baby, Jose Fonte, ohhhhhhhh"

F*ck off Kingsland, f*ck off Kingsland ;)