Saints 3-2 Monkey Hangers - Reaction

Arizona

Well that was hard work.

We didn't' play well at all tbh, we got off the hook after a really really slow start.

2 of our goals came from their individual mistakes , but thankfully we have players in our team that can punish teams when they screw up.

Hats off for Hartlepools 2nd goal though, a wonder strike from 25-30 yards into the top corner - unstoppable.

Not too sure on Seaborne and Mills tonight, they kept going for the same balls time and time again and we looked a bit shaky every time they attacked.

A win is a win though! - and pleased Colchester dropped points, playoffs are still very unlikely though.

Well that was hard work.

We didn't' play well at all tbh, we got off the hook after a really really slow start.

2 of our goals came from their individual mistakes , but thankfully we have players in our team that can punish teams when they screw up.

Hats off for Hartlepools 2nd goal though, a wonder strike from 25-30 yards into the top corner - unstoppable.

Not too sure on Seaborne and Mills tonight, they kept going for the same balls time and time again and we looked a bit shaky every time they attacked.

A win is a win though! - and pleased Colchester dropped points, playoffs are still very unlikely though.

Buy him.

A lot of us come the beginning of May if we are less than 10 points behind...

Well Mr. Cortese may think anything less than a play-off place is unacceptable but i have a good memory, and i clearly remember that with all the **** we went through as a club that mid-table would be a good season for us. Hell i even recall some fans on here saying escaping the relegation zone was good enough.

The capture of Lambert/Harding/Fonte etc has suddenly uped the odds with some and now if we don't get back up this season it's a failure.

I'd appeal to all saints fans to take a step back for a moment and remember were we've been and the good work that has gone on step by step to get us to even having a chance of making the play-offs

Obviously we will lose ground this weekend as Colchester are at home to Wycombe.

After Wembley, if we can get quick 2 wins over Easter and then imagine what the league table would look like with a win in our game in hand (home to Oldham) then it wont look that impossible.

Missed Morgan in the second half. He's the type of player you don't realise what good he brings to the side until he isn't playing.

So true, what a class player. Couldn't keep any decent possession 2nd half, too much hoof ball..... but 3 pts is all that matters

Playing this formation for the first 10 minutes didn't work very well Mr Pardew! :D

Davis

Harding        Fonte          Seaborne         Mills

Hammond    Schneiderlin     Puncheon

Papa Waigo

Lambert           Barnard

As soon as Hartlepool scored he changed to 442, which improved things but still wasn't a very convincing performance.

Please no more Paul Wotton! He is terrible.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Good result considering that we had a bit of a makeshift team (still had some good players in it but not our first eleven by any stretch). Shows how important Morgan is and how we really need a couple of good central midfield players for the bench. Once we replaced Morgan with Wotton we looked a lot weaker and struggled. Nice to see papa scored again. Finally we seemed struggle early in the match playing 4-3-1-2 but got a lot better playing 4-4-2 we seem to play best in 4-4-2 IMO.

Obviously we will lose ground this weekend as Colchester are at home to Wycombe.

After Wembley, if we can get quick 2 wins over Easter and then imagine what the league table would look like with a win in our game in hand (home to Oldham) then it wont look that impossible.

If memory serves, Wycombe did the double over Millwall this season (God knows how), and they need the points so anything is possible on Saturday.

Just got back. Thoroughly enjoyable game and we definately deserved to win. We made a catalogue of errors but there were some really good patches too.

I was planning on coming on here and slating puncheon as he had a mare in the first half but seemed to find his feet in the second half luckily!

Why oh why oh why did lamberts flick from 30 yards out not go into the right hand top corner, defo one for the highlights. Thought he played great tonight by the way.

Overall was pretty impressed compared to watching the swindon game. You'd think it was a different team out there.

Hartlepools second goal was class and had the stadium applauding.

Bring on wembley - All the above said though, if we play like tonight on Sunday we wont walk all over Carlisle! :-S

COYR!

Edited by Liquidshokk

Too narrow to start with and Hartlepool allowed to pass the ball around. No suprise when they scored.

Pardew, who again seemed to be content to crowd the middle of the park realised his job was on the line and changed it. What happened....wide ball played in and goal after the original shot came off the bar.

We then had a decent spell and our width shut down Hartlepool passing. They started to hoof. A mistake from their defence and Lambert slotted home cooly. You cannot give that man chances like that :)

In the second half we were pretty dour for long periods but when we got the third following a great run from Puncheon (who had a very poor first half) it should have been all over BUT a great goal from them. Unstoppable but we should not have let him get in a shot and we started that old habit of defending deep and hoofing.

Davis was his usual long kick, wasted ball, back to Hartlepool.

Still, a satisfactory win. Let's hope Schneiderlin is ok for Sunday because Wotton just clogs up the midfield. . Lallana has a groin flair up but should be ok for Sunday.

We didn't start well but once Barnard equalised we looked the only team likely to win it. At no point was I worried about dropping points in the second half, despite a very nice second goal from 'Pool. Another 3 points under the belt and roll on Sunday!

10 minutes before kick-off I counted 47 Hartlepool fans, and during the game I would estimate there were no more than 80.

Too narrow to start with and Hartlepool allowed to pass the ball around. No suprise when they scored.

Pardew, who again seemed to be content to crowd the middle of the park realised his job was on the line and changed it. What happened....wide ball played in and goal after the original shot came off the bar.

We then had a decent spell and our width shut down Hartlepool passing. They started to hoof. A mistake from their defence and Lambert slotted home cooly. You cannot give that man chances like that :)

In the second half we were pretty dour for long periods but when we got the third following a great run from Puncheon (who had a very poor first half) it should have been all over BUT a great goal from them. Unstoppable but we should not have let him get in a shot and we started that old habit of defending deep and hoofing.

Davis was his usual long kick, wasted ball, back to Hartlepool.

Still, a satisfactory win. Let's hope Schneiderlin is ok for Sunday because Wotton just clogs up the midfield. . Lallana has a groin flair up but should be ok for Sunday.

Yep, I'd agree with that for the most part. I couldn't work out the formation to start with - I expected Papa to play on the right wing, then realised it was an attempt to play him in the hole. Didn't work at all and good that we changed it sharpish after they scored.

In the first half Puncheon played a few very good passes, including a real killer which Barnard should have done more with; he also headed the ball against the bar for Barnard to get the rebound. He did little apart from that though, but was definitely better second half - really deserved to score after the run he made. And Rickie's snap shot which was saved would have been a pretty spectacular goal; he really is a very impressive player.

We definitely allow Davis to wallop the ball up the pitch from free kicks and the like way too much. We can pass the ball well and we look a far better team when we do just that - so what's with all the long hoofs from the keeper?

Agree about Schneiderlin - Wotton didn't do a great deal wrong really, but he offers very little.

"Davis was his usual long kick, wasted ball, back to Hartlepool"

Is that the wasted long ball that led to two goals against MK Dons on Saturday? You really are a pratt Weston Saint, why dont you just shut up and enjoy the season that Saints ar enow having instead of showing your complete lack of football knowledge!!

Yep, I'd agree with that for the most part. I couldn't work out the formation to start with - I expected Papa to play on the right wing, then realised it was an attempt to play him in the hole. Didn't work at all and good that we changed it sharpish after they scored.

In the first half Puncheon played a few very good passes, including a real killer which Barnard should have done more with; he also headed the ball against the bar for Barnard to get the rebound. He did little apart from that though, but was definitely better second half - really deserved to score after the run he made. And Rickie's snap shot which was saved would have been a pretty spectacular goal; he really is a very impressive player.

We definitely allow Davis to wallop the ball up the pitch from free kicks and the like way too much. We can pass the ball well and we look a far better team when we do just that - so what's with all the long hoofs from the keeper?

Agree about Schneiderlin - Wotton didn't do a great deal wrong really, but he offers very little.

Pardew was bursting a blood vessel towards the end of the first half telling Davis to play it on the ground so its not like he isnt told. Somehow its not getting through to him yet surely after 1000 times of it not working and just resulting in the ball coming straight back he'd realise?!? (ok, admittedly it worked in the MK game to Lambert!)

Also he seems to only kick it out to wherever Lambert is. On many occasion Papa was in space out on the wing but he just wouldnt kick it out to him over lambert. shame as when pardews message got through and we played along the ground in the second half we were much better.

A scrappy win will do, we looked nervous tonight. Mills & Seabourne seemed all over the place at times but thankfully Fonte's quality was enough to cover for them.

Puncheon added to the confusion in the first half, but how they only scored one through that left side I don't know. Oh, now I remember, it was Hartlepool.

Well Mr. Cortese may think anything less than a play-off place is unacceptable but i have a good memory, and i clearly remember that with all the **** we went through as a club that mid-table would be a good season for us. Hell i even recall some fans on here saying escaping the relegation zone was good enough.

The capture of Lambert/Harding/Fonte etc has suddenly uped the odds with some and now if we don't get back up this season it's a failure.

I'd appeal to all saints fans to take a step back for a moment and remember were we've been and the good work that has gone on step by step to get us to even having a chance of making the play-offs

So good to read common sense at last. THINK this may be my first post as I read the c*** on hear regularly and feel the supporters forget where we have been over the last 10 years. We at last appear to have the foundations to build upon after years of woeful neglect. A Wembley final, a potential play off spot (agreed wishful thinking) BUT a future to at last be proud of!

No way was there 195! Agree with nexstar, looked about 80, 100 tops

Well the OS wouldn't lie they can find the figure quite easily. They sold 195 away stand tickets so put 195 on the OS.

Imagine they were taking up 19 rows of seats and had 10 fans in each row = 190

Seems about right. :)

I think he's injured & possibly out of the final. Simon Gillet looks like he'll be playing Sunday at Wembley - so says the gaffer on the OS:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2003474,00.html

Yep - I saw Spiderman take a knock on the foot in a 50-50 challenge and he was limping. I assumed he had been taken off as a precaution. I think he would be completely gutted to miss out on a Wembley appearance to Gillet who has not featured - I can imagine he will be assessed in the week and then will be asking for injections to get him through the game perhaps!

Well the result is all that matters really. I felt we didn't play too well, especially in the 2nd half. I don't want to be too critical but personally i felt Wotten was the odd one out, he sort of wasted a lot of passes and it spread from there. It looked like we were playing with 10 men to be honest. He didn't know his role and kept putting pressure on us by wasted passes etc..

That made the crowd get nervous which in turn made things harder. We got there in the end and overall i think we were fortunate to win. But hey we have played great and lost lots of times this year so i will take it.

Interestingly in the last 8 form guide we sit 2nd and Colchester sit 16th.

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/oform.html

We are averaging 2 points a game and they are averaging 1 point a game. Meaning if we continue our form and they continue theirs we could just nick that last spot.

Our next game against Brighton is massive. They play Wycombe at home which should be 3 points. If we win against Brighton then we have a chance to claw back points in the next two games as they play Millwall and Swindon, two teams very much in form. Meaning we could get points on them in those games.

With 9 games left it is possible but if we perform like that then it will be hard, if Wotten is now in for Morgan due to him being injured then we are in deep ****.

Just back from the game, and for once I don't have to get up for work in the morning, so can post on here!

A win is a win. We were made to work for it, but I got to see five goals, two of them corkers, and all in all it was a satisfactory night. All three of our goals were mistakes by them, I'd really like to see them again on the highlights, but for Barnard's header I think their keeper should have dealt with it better, for Lamberts goal, their defender slipped, and for Waigo's goal, well, I don't really know WHAT they were playing at. At least we capitalised on the chances when we got them.

I notcie Hartlepool only had two shots on target, and they scored from them. We started slowly and Hartlepool's goal didn't come against the run of play. Seaborne and Mills looked very shaky at the back, compared to Harding and Fonte who, I thought, were brilliant; Harding in particular was my MOTM, and I'm not just saying that because he's my favourite player. He could have scored twice in the first half, and was genuinely everywhere you looked.

I thought Morgan was very good until he came off at half time, God knows why, being rested perhaps, I didn't see him pick up a knock. This was perhaps the best I've seen him play. I'll also give big credit to Barnard, who worked his nutsack off. If this was FM, he'd have 20 as his work rate.

Puncheon, Waigo (despite scoring the winner), Seaborne and Mills were all a little shaky for me - Puncheon had one of those games where he's exceptional at times, and poor at others. (A bit like Antonio was when he first arrived.) IMO Waigo was perhaps the weakest player on the pitch for us, he undoubtedly has talent, and pace, and a finishing touch, but I think maybe his concentration waivers, his punt in the second half could have been dangerous.

Finally, praise to Wotton, he wasn't bad when he came on.

God knows how many Hartlepool fans there were but it couldn't have been many - at least they can make the journey back with their right back's screamer fresh in the memory.

Prutton you git, did you HAVE to score Colchester's equaliser?

Which shows why football is a game of opinions as i thought he was probably the cause of us losing our way.

He wasn't good either, but it wasn't the worst I've seen him play. Probably his one good pass of note stuck in my mind...

Hartlepool is known as the town that during the Napoleonic wars apparently hung a monkey as they thought it was a French spy.

The team's mascot is 'Angus the Monkey and they voted him mayor of the city.

neat use of "apparently". Hartlepool deny on their web pages that it ever happened, but say they go along with it because its a good story.....

They. Hung. The. Monkey. FACT :D

Mills and Seabourne are getting a bit of a slating (here and there), but, the back 4, as a unit worked well. We have to remember that players need time to settle in a team and both of these players are young, inexperienced and fringe players. They did a job tonight. Seabourne was a bit out of position but Fonte covered well. Mills made a couple of mistakes but his pace got him back into the tackle. Nothing terrible at the back and they will learn from this.

Morgan was absolutely superb 'again' tonight. Shame he went off, but, the real plus for me was to see Hammond really step up to the plate. He was everywhere and we barely missed Morgan (although having him in would've been better). Also, I think I'm the only one in the ground and from the reports that think Hammond scored our first goal. He was certainly the one celebrating in front of the Northam and from what I could see, he headed the ball in and not Barnard. Probably I'm wrong, but I found it weird when they announced Barbard as the goal scorer.

Where we faultered tonight was in feeding the front 2. We were losing the ball out wide or being countered after trying to get the ball into the box rather than crossing it. When we crossed the ball, we looked dangerous, but, Puncheon cuts in from the left as well as the right. For me, when he plays on the left, he should be beating the man and whipping it in, away from the keeper. Second half and later on, he mixed it up enough, but Lambert was substituted around this spell. Also, noticed Lambert wasn't getting in the box as much as usual?

2 more things; firstly, there were 170 away supporters. And lastly, we started off 4 3 1 2 and you could see Hartlepool were stripping us out wide and by-passing our midfield. After the goal, went back to 442. However, I think the issue came about because Hartlepool went with 2 up front, unlike most teams that come here.

neat use of "apparently". Hartlepool deny on their web pages that it ever happened, but say they go along with it because its a good story.....

They. Hung. The. Monkey. FACT :D

Did they spank it before they hung it?