Sunday Roast

Thorpe-le-Saint

Yes to the par-boil bit but I think they're much better done in goose fat.

I am not often in agreement with you, but you are bang on the money with this.

Pork on the side as you do need Sausages wrapped in Bacon!Beautiful!!

Oh yes, I forgot them, fry off some chippolattas till brown. Wrap in steaky bacon and then baste (two tablespoons of French mustard and two tablespoons of honey mixed together), then place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Yummy for my tummy.

How does everyone do their yorkshires?

For me, it is the 8-4-2 rule. 8 fl oz of water, 4 floz of flour and 2 eggs. Also is good for a toad-in-the-hole for a quick tasty dinner.

Yes the same almost - except I use milk rather than water.

And let the mixture stand in the fridge for a good while before cooking.

Yes the same almost - except I use milk rather than water.

And let the mixture stand in the fridge for a good while before cooking.

Yep, sorry should have been milk. Today I did a packet mix with water, hence my mistake - water on the brain, some would say.

I did it to save time, except for the fact it doesn't really save any time - packet mix saves the time it takes to crack one egg (because you have to crack one for the packet mix anyway) and the time it takes to measure out flour and milk. So all in all, packet mix saves about 20 seconds and tastes like **** compared to the real thing. Won't do that again in a hurry.

I thought convenience food was supposed to be convenient.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Would I get lots of abuse if I said that as a vegetarian the best roast includes a linda mcCartney veggie roast???

A fair bit, yes. Not that being a veggie did her any good though, did it?

I like to suspend a goose, roll its neck back and slit its throat at the Apex, collecting the blood for pate. Then I insert a liposuction rod into its dermashpere and get all the fat out for the roasties. If it's not already dead, I'll whack it in the head a few times in order to tenderise the brain for the sweetmeats, Following that, I'll remove its bowels and inner organs for dessication purposes, then I'll rip its wings and feathers off. THEN, I'll eat the spuds and goose combo!

I like to suspend a goose, roll its neck back and slit its throat at the Apex, collecting the blood for pate. Then I insert a liposuction rod into its dermashpere and get all the fat out for the roasties. If it's not already dead, I'll whack it in the head a few times in order to tenderise the brain for the sweetmeats, Following that, I'll remove its bowels and inner organs for dessication purposes, then I'll rip its wings and feathers off. THEN, I'll eat the spuds and goose combo!

That made my mouth water you ****. Do you eat the feet? Bloody delicous once soaked in soy sauce then deep fried, serve with sesame toast and a bottle of red.

Evil.

Dog is a liar - you heard it here first.

Jillyanne you are an insult to a spastic, I didn't come out with the goose thing, it was tpbury, it was a good post.

And I am not a liar, you are just a thick spazzer who hasn't eaten **** all but Big Macs.

I shall ask on this thread as I know that you foodies will know the answer. The other week at a great ppub on the GU canal I chose the '28 day AGED steak'. It was without doubt the finest steak that I have ever eaten, I always have mine rare as I believe that even the most rubbish chef has to pick the best cut to cook it rare, but there was no blood! I thought at first they'd just played safe and done it 'medium' but I was wrong, as I say it was deeeeelicious. My question is what is 'AGED' steak? Note: It wasn't that expensive either. I shall try to remember the pub's name.

Edited by hamster

I shall ask on this thread as I know that you foodies will know the answer. The other week at a great ppub on the GU canal I chose the '28 day AGED steak'. It was without doubt the finest steak that I have ever eaten, I always have mine rare as I believe that even the most rubbish chef has to pick the best cut to cook it rare, but there was no blood! I thought at first they'd just played safe and done it 'medium' but I was wrong, as I say it was deeeeelicious. My question is what is 'AGED' steak? Note: It wasn't that expensive either. I shall try to remember the pub's name.[/Q

It is the length of time that the meat is hung after slaughter. 3 to 4 weeks in the norm for good meat

It is the length of time that the meat is hung after slaughter. 3 to 4 weeks in the norm for good meat

Really? We thought it meant something else as they would call it 'hung' if that were the case. I am not disputing your answer, just surprised. By the way the pub is called The Navigation, it is at Thrupp Wharf and I just found that it is a top 10 waterside pub as voted by the Telegraph. I can't argue with that tbh. They had good ales, obviously a cellarman who knows his stuff and in spite of some people not agreeing with it, they allowed our dog to sit under the table. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM7K9F_The_Navigation_Inn_Grand_Union_Canal_Thrupp_Wharf_Cosgrove_Northamptonshire_UK http://www.navigationinn.net/pages/navigation_food.html We moored on their private mooring for the night and woke to ice, which I had to brwak with the bargepole before cracking our way along for the first couple of hours of the morning. The sound of ice cracking within the bowels of a narrowboat is a great noise, never heard anything like it before.

A very good Lounge thread. :-)

For me, the best Roasted meat is Pork. I love Pork. You could roast me a whole joint of Pork, and I'd try my darndest to eat the whole damn thing. Without being greedy though, I do tend to ration it.

So...

Pork - At least 3 thick slices but the more the merrier. Got to be thick slices...

Crackling - God created Pork to come with crackling. Got to be slightly soft on the inside, to make chewing not impossible.

Roast Spuds - Four or five reasonable size spuds. Got to be very, very crispy, my dad really cooks the best ones, though they probably instantly raise my cholesterol levels.

Stuffing - Sage and Onion, while it doesn't really lend itself to Pork too well, my olds always do stuffing with whatever meat they're cooking, which suits me. My girlfriend doesn't, which angers me.

Crispy Roast Parsnips - I've only started eating parsnips in the last six months, I never use to like them...

I didn't use to eat much veg, I was a fussy sod, but now I'll pretty much eat anything. Peas are my favourite veg, I also like carrots, broccolli, cauliflower (especially cheese), beans, cabbage, etc etc but I can't eat sprouts, swede or turnip - it makes me throw up. :-(

Gravy's got to be thick too...

Edited by SNSUN

Ah Pork! Much as I love roast pork with crackling, I always, always, get bits stuck in my teeth. Even the following day I find I'm picking little bits out. It must look disgusting, especially as I do it involuntarily - much like people who chew gum do. For me it should be beef to be a proper British Roats, but my meat of choice is lamb I could eat a whole lamb shank to myself and I don ;t mean one of those miniature offcuts that some places fob you off with.