MKDons Vs Saints - Post Match Reaction

Ponty

Sorry, I really didn't see anything to get excited about from any of our midfielders. 9/10 for MS? He didn't make any telling passes, set up any goals or get a shot on target. Yes he put a few tackles in, but his passing was mostly sideways and fairly short range. I almost feel sorry for anyone who is impressed by that.

Yesterday was a poor game of football. Even in the second half, if was only rickie making the most of two half chances and a penalty that won the game. The quality of football was dross, so I don't get how someone can come home and sing our playmaker's praises.

Whilst I agree that it was a shocking game MS was clearly the most accomplished player on the pitch, by a very long way.

Great result. Sounded like we managed to win ugly for once. Given we had Harding at RB, a clean sheet says a lot. How many times have we called for a performance that delivers like this? It's how some of the teams we have beaten have found their way into the top 6.

Can we get to the playoffs? Damn right we can - until the maths says otherwise. Well done Lambo, you really are a goal machine. Well done AP - you're doing a great job.

Making a meal of actual contact is not the same as diving with zero contact.

Exactly.

It's what professional footballers do. It always makes me laugh when people apply Sunday league refereeing norms to our matches. In the type of football most of us play you need to be assaulted before you get a free-kick. In professional football if there is contact and you go down you will get a free-kick 90% of the time. If Fonte felt some contact and won us a pen then good for him. Hope he does it a lot.

We were garbage yesterday but they were even worse. After a bright opening few mins, the game soon petered out into a long ball, midfield ruck. Suggests that pitches have little to do with performances -as this rivalled Wycombe, Exeter, Brentford.

Still if we didn't take the game by the scruff of the neck, we looked comfortable - Ince probably played into our gameplans as he's talked about neutralising and going more physical against us. Similarly, as this was the 4th game of the season, it wasn't like we had many aces up our sleeves to surprise and unsettle them. And vice-versa.

Nobody covered themselves in glory - Morgan was niggly; Lallana was isolated; Punch kept picking the wrong option and then tried to overcompensatr for his mistaes; Barnard and Hammond went AWOL; Harding didn't push on as much as he can do at LB (understandable enough). Yesterday showed how reliant we are on Lallana and Punch and they are naturally hot-and-cold players. The lack of pace in the team is also a worry.

But hey, we batter Leeds 1-0 while pinching a 3-0 victory at MK Dons - there isn't much logic to these things. At least it ensures we've still got something to play for next sunday other than the proverbial figleaf of pride. Stadium MK is a horrible place to go and watch football anyway but yesterday realised it offered ****-poor protection against the elements.

Finally did anyone see or hear anything about the young kid who got hit by a car crossing the dual carriageway outside the stadium. Heard a swerve and the sound of KP hitting a cricket ball into melon and turned around to see a stalled car and a kid get up, stagger a few yards and collapse into a heap.

Edited by shurlock

Finally did anyone see or hear anything about the young kid who got hit by a car crossing the dual carriageway outside the stadium. Heard a swerve and the sound of KP hitting a cricket ball into melon and turned around to see a stalled car and a kid get up, stagger a few yards and collapse into a heap.

Went past a few mins later. The OB and ambulance were already on scene. The boy look as pale as a ghost but was up and walking but the family in the Astra looked really rattled.

Whilst I agree that it was a shocking game MS was clearly the most accomplished player on the pitch, by a very long way.

Exactly It wasn't a great display of football by the team but Morgan seemed to be doing the work of two blokes as Hammond was anonymous yesterday. As such Morgans tidy football was worthy of a good score. It wasn't flashy but it was a good working mans display I don't remember him giving the ball away like some and he looked very comfortable on the ball and used it well, Just IMO of course.

Went past a few mins later. The OB and ambulance were already on scene. The boy look as pale as a ghost but was up and walking but the family in the Astra looked really rattled.

That's a relief to hear. Nothing that won't mend in time.

Sorry, I really didn't see anything to get excited about from any of our midfielders. 9/10 for MS? He didn't make any telling passes, set up any goals or get a shot on target. Yes he put a few tackles in, but his passing was mostly sideways and fairly short range. I almost feel sorry for anyone who is impressed by that.

Yesterday was a poor game of football. Even in the second half, if was only rickie making the most of two half chances and a penalty that won the game. The quality of football was dross, so I don't get how someone can come home and sing our playmaker's praises.

Schneiderlin was our second best player behind lambert IMO, but I agree he wasn't anything too special... 7/10 performance compared to most other players 6/10. Both him and lambert were in league 1 team of the day in news of the world.

Schneiderlin was our second best player behind lambert IMO, but I agree he wasn't anything too special... 7/10 performance compared to most other players 6/10. Both him and lambert were in league 1 team of the day in news of the world.

Yes I saw that to. I think that helps justify my opinion (yeah I know its only the NOTW but still)

why does a player have to make a telling pass to have a great game? By the same account can someone who does make a telling pass have a shocker?

What is it you want from MS? It strikes me that all is missing from his game is goals and we're not short of them. I criticised him a lot last season for not making tackles but he has added that to his game along with much greater work rate. He was everywhere yesterday and was the only player to show for a pass, willing to out his fot on it as well as bring it down and play. He's a joy to watch in that form, they couldn't get the ball off him no matter how tight they got. Each to their own. There is always Wotton I suppose.

Overall the game was poor and we played poorly, but that doesn't mean some players didn't have good games. Te defence did their job, Morgan had a decent game, Lambert was clinical. The rest of the midfield was well below par and its in midfield that the game is played and the likes of Puncheon, Hammond and Lallana were not up to much so the game suffered as a result. The fact they hoofed it a lot just made it worse.

As for the pen, I stand by my comments. As expected the camera angle was from behind and from that angle (and the refs) it looked like a pen, but from behind the goal it was so obvious that he dived. The fella next to me was laughing and doing the diving mime so I wasn't the only one to think he dived. As I said there was the feigntest of touches but nowhere near enough to justify the theatrical fall. It matters not.

Edited by Chez

I don't think he was poor, just pretty average. I didn't see anything from him which was really worthy of praise. I made a point of watching during the many dull periods, just too see if I was missing something. I can't really say that I was. I don't remember any telling passes. Never seemed to find Lallana and Puncheon in any real space (their fault too). There were no defence splitting through balls, he didn't have a hand in any of the goals, one shot way off target. Their midfield was terrible, so he scarcely had a tough job defensively. I read the OS report and the only mentions of Morgan at all were the team sheet and his booking.

Maybe I just have a blind spot for CMs, but I fail to see how passing around a bit without making any noteable impact translates to 9/10. Or perhaps Chez and I are just subconsciously disagreeing on this now that Saga and Skacel have gone.

why does a player have to make a telling pass to have a great game? By the same account can someone who does make a telling pass have a shocker?

What is it you want from MS? It strikes me that all is missing from his game is goals and we're not short of them. I criticised him a lot last season for not making tackles but he has added that to his game along with much greater work rate. He was everywhere yesterday and was the only player to show for a pass, willing to out his fot on it as well as bring it down and play. He's a joy to watch in that form, they couldn't get the ball off him no matter how tight they got. Each to their own. There is always Wotton I suppose.

No thanks. This at least we can agree on. :D

I don't think he was poor, just pretty average. I didn't see anything from him which was really worthy of praise. I made a point of watching during the many dull periods, just too see if I was missing something. I can't really say that I was. I don't remember any telling passes. Never seemed to find Lallana and Puncheon in any real space (their fault too). There were no defence splitting through balls, he didn't have a hand in any of the goals, one shot way off target. Their midfield was terrible, so he scarcely had a tough job defensively. I read the OS report and the only mentions of Morgan at all were the team sheet and his booking.

Maybe I just have a blind spot for CMs, but I fail to see how passing around a bit without making any noteable impact translates to 9/10. Or perhaps Chez and I are just subconsciously disagreeing on this now that Saga and Skacel have gone.

firstly his first touch is immaculate. Out wide where the is loads of space you can get away with it, but in the middle it has to be spot on, and his is just that, every single time. This is taken for granted, but it shouldn't be.

What he also does very well is take the ball with an oponent up his arse, and he keeps it. Even in the tightest of areas he still comes away with the ball. Yes he passes square a fair bit but he keeps posession. When he misplaces a pass boy do you notice it. Off the ball he is a different player to last season. He works so much harder than before putting oponents under pressure. He made more tackles than any other player yesterday stealing the ball time after time. This was part of the reason they looked so poor. They never got going and never had the ball for long enough to hurt us. Morgan played a big role in that. The dirty stuff, the stuff you don't notice like tracking back are other parts of his game that he has improved. You are right he doesn't seem to unlock defences, but he keeps us ticking over and that is very important. He's like Paul McKenna at Forest (just look at how they have improved with him in their side and how they have struggled in recent weeks without him). He doesn't unlock a defence, score goals or even ass forward much, but boy is he crucial to them as he was for Preston. The abilty to pass and control is expected of a CM, but it doesn't mean they can all do it. This lad can and as long as he keeps progressing as he has done then I'll keep singing his praises.

Just out of interest do you miss Saga and Skacel? How are they doing at their new clubs?

Edited by Chez

MS flatters to deceive. Easy stuff, but only easy stuff. Sorry. I'd love it if he was great but even when he's great he's just filling in the spaces. Not a lot of creativity, just the easy stuff.

well he's the only one who seems to be able to do the easy stuff in our side...!! I'm sure if he was belting in 30 yarders every game and setting up goals with raking passes, he'd be raved about. That's not all football is about though, you need someone to do the ''easy'' stuff as you put it.

if he went, we would be worse off. There is no chance we will be able to replace him with a player of similar quality unless we are in the premiership.

That's how highly i rate him - i'm not sure why others don't...

well he's the only one who seems to be able to do the easy stuff in our side...!! I'm sure if he was belting in 30 yarders every game and setting up goals with raking passes, he'd be raved about. That's not all football is about though, you need someone to do the ''easy'' stuff as you put it.

if he went, we would be worse off. There is no chance we will be able to replace him with a player of similar quality unless we are in the premiership.

I do, but most people seem to think we're the same person anyway...

Just out of interest do you miss Saga and Skacel? How are they doing at their new clubs?

Don't miss them. Wasn't owrking out here, they felt the need to move on. Never disgraced themselves, good look to them. Haven't a clue how they're doing.

MS flatters to deceive. Easy stuff, but only easy stuff. Sorry. I'd love it if he was great but even when he's great he's just filling in the spaces. Not a lot of creativity, just the easy stuff.

He is good most of the time. His passing helps create chances and he provides a vital link in midfield. He just didn't yesterday.

Missed his fantastic pin point 40 yard passes then?

We did yesterday.

Think that's taking it a step too far. There are far better midfielders playing outside the Prem than Schneiderlin.

No - he just makes it look so easy that you think there is nothing to it.

Don't miss them. Wasn't owrking out here, they felt the need to move on. Never disgraced themselves, good look to them. Haven't a clue how they're doing.

He is good most of the time. His passing helps create chances and he provides a vital link in midfield. He just didn't yesterday.

We did yesterday.

Think that's taking it a step too far. There are far better midfielders playing outside the Prem than Schneiderlin.

Name them.

Wasn't at the game, just listened to solent so can't reall comment on how we played. But according to Ince they were al over us, apart from 2 mistakes !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8560619.stm

What a prat that man is. I am SO pleased he isn't our manager. We beat them 4 times in one season and stil he won't admit we might be the better team.

K.

Name them.

I don't really watch many football league games other than Saints, but just off the top of my head...

Danny Guthrie, Joey Barton, Alan Smith, Wes Hoolahan, Glen Snodgrass, Chris Brunt, Robert Koren, Giles Barnes, Matt Oakley, Lloyd Dyer, Paul McKenna, Gary O'Neil, Jobi McAnuff, Robbie Savage, Lee Hendrie.

Nolan, Guthrie, Dorrans. To name but 3.

to be honest you can't compare a player in a side like Newcastle to a player in a side like Saints. You can only compare performances in sides of roughly equal ability. If you watch Arsenal or Man U (which I'm sure you do from time to time because it's unavoidable) you'll see players hit passes into space knowing that their team-mates will get there, with us it's different, you can hit a pass to say

Puncheon and he'll get it 2 times out of three and the other time he'll mistime his run or screw up the control or just not move at all, same with recovering the ball in midfield,if someone hits you a hospital ball well you're probably in the crap and it'll look bad.Good players may look bad in good sides just as bad players may look the real biz in good sides.Football is a team game and until

you have equal ability all round individual performances are hard to judge.

Morgan needs to move on for his own sake as does Lallana,they'll be targets for aggression as long as they stay in this division.

Morgan was MoM for me. Controlled the middle. Won countless tackles and kept the ball and passed it simple in tight situations.

Not sure what match some people were watching but this was a much better perfomance than Wycombe or Brentford away. Never in any doubt whatsoever from start to finish.

I don't really watch many football league games other than Saints, but just off the top of my head...

Danny Guthrie, Joey Barton, Alan Smith, Wes Hoolahan, Glen Snodgrass, Chris Brunt, Robert Koren, Giles Barnes, Matt Oakley, Lloyd Dyer, Paul McKenna, Gary O'Neil, Jobi McAnuff, Robbie Savage, Lee Hendrie.

Your list started off well and then I saw Robbie Savage and I fell off my chair. You were joking, right?

Morgan was MoM for me. Controlled the middle. Won countless tackles and kept the ball and passed it simple in tight situations.

Not sure what match some people were watching but this was a much better perfomance than Wycombe or Brentford away. Never in any doubt whatsoever from start to finish.

plus 1!

I LOL'ed at those on here who compared it to Wycombe and Brentford; true it wasn't a very good game but it was an excellent come-back by both the manger and players from Tuesday's choker.

I was rather apprehensive on the way up wondering which Saints would turn up - how many players' thoughts were turning to Wembley and avoiding injury and suspension? I needn't have worried at all - we looked committed and determined from the very first whistle - nothing wrong with winning ugly - after the game Ince complaining on local radio that we 'had bullied them' - great! - music to my ears!

There was far less hoofing (from Davis and Fonte principally) than there has been in many of the previous games and much less route one onto Lambert's head - five more of these performances (Wyc, Bre, Mill, Exter, Tran) and we would be very tidily placed now.

Morgan does what he's supposed to do the majority of the time,win the ball, hold it up and distribute it as necessary.Classic milieu recuperateur play in the tradition of Giresse and Deschamps.You might like to compare him with Jérémy Toulalan who plays the same role for France and Lyon, has scored about 3 goals in nigh on 400 games, it's not his job.

plus 1!

I LOL'ed at those on here who compared it to Wycombe and Brentford; true it wasn't a very good game but it was an excellent come-back by both the manger and players from Tuesday's choker.

I was rather apprehensive on the way up wondering which Saints would turn up - how many players' thoughts were turning to Wembley and avoiding injury and suspension? I needn't have worried at all - we looked committed and determined from the very first whistle - nothing wrong with winning ugly - after the game Ince complaining on local radio that we 'had bullied them' - great! - music to my ears!

There was far less hoofing (from Davis and Fonte principally) than there has been in many of the previous games and much less route one onto Lambert's head - five more of these performances (Wyc, Bre, Mill, Exter, Tran) and we would be very tidily placed now.

Davis got 2 assists :D Surely that indicates some serious long ball?

to be honest you can't compare a player in a side like Newcastle to a player in a side like Saints. You can only compare performances in sides of roughly equal ability. If you watch Arsenal or Man U (which I'm sure you do from time to time because it's unavoidable) you'll see players hit passes into space knowing that their team-mates will get there, with us it's different, you can hit a pass to say

Puncheon and he'll get it 2 times out of three and the other time he'll mistime his run or screw up the control or just not move at all, same with recovering the ball in midfield,if someone hits you a hospital ball well you're probably in the crap and it'll look bad.Good players may look bad in good sides just as bad players may look the real biz in good sides.Football is a team game and until

you have equal ability all round individual performances are hard to judge.

Morgan needs to move on for his own sake as does Lallana,they'll be targets for aggression as long as they stay in this division.

Well seeing as Morgan was the clubs leading offender with the most yellow and Red cards in the team (a few weeks ago I haven't checked in the last couple) I don't think we need to worry about Morgan sticking up from himself against aggressive players. Last year Morgan wouldn't/couldn't tackle for toffee this year the physical side of his game has improved and he is putting him self about a lot more. I can't help feeling that for some reason you'd like all our best players to leave in the summer? It seems to be a common theme ina lot of your posts at the moment.

Well seeing as Morgan was the clubs leading offender with the most yellow and Red cards in the team (a few weeks ago I haven't checked in the last couple) I don't think we need to worry about Morgan sticking up from himself against aggressive players. Last year Morgan wouldn't/couldn't tackle for toffee this year the physical side of his game has improved and he is putting him self about a lot more. I can't help feeling that for some reason you'd like all our best players to leave in the summer? It seems to be a common theme ina lot of your posts at the moment.

It's not what I'd like, it's what I can see happening simply because it usually does.We should not be playing in this woeful division, that's the fault of past managers and directors who didn't have a f*cking clue what they were doing.

I don't want to see players' careers wrecked because we have a manager that I don't really believe in or because the fans deserve better than the team that we should really have (if you see what I mean by all that). To me League 1 is woeful, we shouldn't be in it and for a bit more consistency and aptitude from the manager over some of his player and tactical choices we probably would be on our way out.

Southampton FC doesn't deserve to be in League 1 and we should have at least made the play-offs this season, that we haven't(or won't) I am regally p*ssed off, probably same as the owner and the chairman.

Morgan got booked on Saturday because Hammond screwed up and he had no other choice (think it was 1-0 at the time),

if he had been sent off and missed Wembley (as he could have) do you think Hammond would have given him his medal?

Edited by Window Cleaner

Glen Snodgrass?

Your list started off well and then I saw Robbie Savage and I fell off my chair. You were joking, right?

Robbie Savage who was in Man Utd's youth team before going on to play over a decade in the Premiership for Leicester, Blackburn, Birmingham and Derby and is now their current skipper.

Nobody is going to be spending £1m at his age, but he is a decent CCC midfielder.

Morgan was MoM for

me. Controlled the middle. Won countless tackles and kept the ball and passed it simple in tight situations.

Appart from being 0-0 at half time?

plus 1!

Actually that's where two of the goals came from, the other being the penalty.

I said there was 'far less hoofing', if I'd had said 'there was no hoofing' you would have a point.

So can I repeat, there was far less hoofing than at for example Brentford, Wycombe or Millwall (and certainly Swindon last week!) - there was still plenty - and we scored from two of those situations - mathematically 30 is less than 60 - in fact it is half as much!

Morgan does what he's supposed to do the majority of the time,win the ball, hold it up and distribute it as necessary.Classic milieu recuperateur play in the tradition of Giresse and Deschamps.You might like to compare him with Jérémy Toulalan who plays the same role for France and Lyon, has scored about 3 goals in nigh on 400 games, it's not his job.

Exactly.

:D :D :D

The Solent Taters virtually missed the 2nd goal as they were wittering on about some Don player who had just removed his shorts and shirt and then broke off to ...... incredible ... he's scored !! I was wondering if the player had gone over and given the female lino a portion :-P, ..... seeing as how Harding had given her a mouthful earlier ;)

Now I see how they hadn't expected a goal ... talk about route 1 football :rolleyes:

I said there was 'far less hoofing', if I'd had said 'there was no hoofing' you would have a point.

So can I repeat, there was far less hoofing than at for example Brentford, Wycombe or Millwall (and certainly Swindon last week!) - there was still plenty - and we scored from two of those situations - mathematically 30 is less than 60 - in fact it is half as much!

Some of the arguments on here just aren't stacking up IMO.

Far less hoofing... but both goals from open play were set up from Davis.

Our playmaking midfield played brilliantly... but didn't actually create any play.