MKDons Vs Saints - Post Match Reaction

Ponty

I was jokingly talking about the BBC Football [saints] website putting out erroneous data earlier, but it seems that it is screwed up quite badly, atm. According to it, Pompey are still losing to Hull, with minutes to go. Shame it isn't true. Swindon and Norwich are apparently still playing..!

Don't trust their table.

But you trust their commentry

don't be fooled by the scoreline, we were rubbish. Not headless chicken rubbish like on Tuesday, but more Wycombe, do next to noithng rubbish. I guess the dfference was that we did compete all over the pitch and of course franchise were woeful. Much worse than Wycobe. I have no idea how they are near the top of the league and how on earth our friend Willy Gerrets continues to get a game in League 1 is beyond me. He has to be the worst keeper I have ever seen. Even worse than Ian Andrews. Much worse.

I have to say I wanted to go home at half time. It was so boring. Thankfully I stayed and Ricky did the business and I came home happy. Just.

Davies 6 He has totally abandoned coming for crosses, which is a shame as he was doing this well earlier in the season. One save and some decent short passes.

Harding 8 Only once in the first half did you wish we had a right footer. Solid game (how many times have I written that this season) and never beaten - ever. What more could you want of a full back. Genuine contender for player of the season.

Mills 7 ball watched just once. Never ever in trouble and looked comfortable. Massive improvement on last showing. Perhaps shows how bad opposition was. Pcae is a real bonus.

Fonte 7 solid game. Dived for the pen. Cheat. I hate that and don't want to see it again. I shoukd mark down for that but whats the point...

Seaborne 7 Wilbraham is a handful but he didn't get a sniff. H ewon everything. Some headers went straight in the air, Perry-like, but he wasn't bullied. He saw the ball more than anyone else (Morgan aside) and in general he pumped it wide to Lallana or Lambert. Needed more options. Hammond where are you?

Lallana 5 Stayed out wide but was tightly marked. They doubled up at times and he didn't get any room at all. No real impact on the game but not for the want of trying.

Hammond 5 didn't show himself for a pass from Seaborne all day and I didn't notice him at all in the first half.

Morgan 9 Tremendous game. Great touch, passing, skills, tackling, hussle the works. He'd get a ten if he made more effort with headers today.

Puncheon 1 Woeful. Painful watching him dither, miscontrol and pass aimlessly. Terrible display continuing on from Tuesday. On Tuesday he looked like he gave up, today he was just crap.

Barnard 6 worked hard as always, but didn't really do much.

Lambert 8 the first was woeful keeping, the second was a decently hit pen, the third was quality (and woeful keeping). Didn't do a great deal else. It was that sort of game.

Waigo 7 offside too many times even for a man that plays on the shoulder. He competed well and pace created a couple of openings. I'd start him ahead of Barnard.

Connelly 6 his touch has gone. Its just like when he started the season. Loads of effort, but fitness and sharpness not quite there. Can't wait for it to return as he created opening for Waigo even without having the ball under control.

Wotton Football Genius.

don't be fooled by the scoreline, we were rubbish. Not headless chicken rubbish like on Tuesday, but more Wycombe, do next to noithng rubbish. I guess the dfference was that we did compete all over the pitch and of course franchise were woeful. Much worse than Wycobe. I have no idea how they are near the top of the league and how on earth our friend Willy Gerrets continues to get a game in League 1 is beyond me. He has to be the worst keeper I have ever seen. Even worse than Ian Andrews. Much worse.

I have to say I wanted to go home at half time. It was so boring. Thankfully I stayed and Ricky did the business and I came home happy. Just.

Davies 6 He has totally abandoned coming for crosses, which is a shame as he was doing this well earlier in the season. One save and some decent short passes.

Harding 8 Only once in the first half did you wish we had a right footer. Solid game (how many times have I written that this season) and never beaten - ever. What more could you want of a full back. Genuine contender for player of the season.

Mills 7 ball watched just once. Never ever in trouble and looked comfortable. Massive improvement on last showing. Perhaps shows how bad opposition was. Pcae is a real bonus.

Fonte 7 solid game. Dived for the pen. Cheat. I hate that and don't want to see it again. I shoukd mark down for that but whats the point...

Seaborne 7 Wilbraham is a handful but he didn't get a sniff. H ewon everything. Some headers went straight in the air, Perry-like, but he wasn't bullied. He saw the ball more than anyone else (Morgan aside) and in general he pumped it wide to Lallana or Lambert. Needed more options. Hammond where are you?

Lallana 5 Stayed out wide but was tightly marked. They doubled up at times and he didn't get any room at all. No real impact on the game but not for the want of trying.

Hammond 5 didn't show himself for a pass from Seaborne all day and I didn't notice him at all in the first half.

Morgan 9 Tremendous game. Great touch, passing, skills, tackling, hussle the works. He'd get a ten if he made more effort with headers today.

Puncheon 1 Woeful. Painful watching him dither, miscontrol and pass aimlessly. Terrible display continuing on from Tuesday. On Tuesday he looked like he gave up, today he was just crap.

Lambert 8 the first was woeful keeping, the second was a decently hit pen, the third was quality (and woeful keeping). Didn't do a great deal else. It was that sort of game.

Waigo 7 offside too many times even for a man that plays on the shoulder. He competed well and pace created a couple of openings. I'd start him ahead of Barnard.

Connelly 6 his touch has gone. Its just like when he started the season. Loads of effort, but fitness and sharpness not quite there. Can't wait for it to return as he created opening for Waigo even without having the ball under control.

Wotton Football Genius.

H'mm interesting, the two Solent commentators reckoned it was a nailed on penalty. Also interesting that Lambert himself said that he did not have one of his better games so the hat-trick was a pleasant surprise. "I've played well in other games and got nothing"

To be fair he had 20 minutes, and was returning after an absence through injury of about 10 matches in a position he doesn't prefer

People seem to forget that the game he got injured he scored a brilliant goal to put us in the lead against Brentford and is one of the best crossers of the ball we have.

You really cant play James at RB because he can cross a ball and scored against Brentford. Likewise Thomas is never going to be a first choice RB, he's a utility player who can slot in at RB or CB ... nothing more. Murty is 34, although good when fit he's injury prone. Semi's on loan till the end of the season.

The rest of the back four are looking good, we do need to sort out the RB position for next season.

H'mm interesting, the two Solent commentators reckoned it was a nailed on penalty. Also interesting that Lambert himself said that he did not have one of his better games so the hat-trick was a pleasant surprise. "I've played well in other games and got nothing"

I had the best view in the stadium. It was a dive. I imagine the Solent commentators were up in the gods on the half way line.

Yep, Ricky did very little. I should have given him a 7.

Just one of about 85 decisions the ref got wrong.

Yeovil are pretty sound at home as well, I can see that one and Bristol Rovers being very tricky. The pitch surface at Huish Park *should* be one of the better ones in the league, it was completely relaid a few seasons back but it has been hit hard with the recent bad weather.

I just hope it's played in dry and calm conditions :)

I had the best view in the stadium. It was a dive. I imagine the Solent commentators were up in the gods on the half way line.

Yep, Ricky did very little. I should have given him a 7.

Just one of about 85 decisions the ref got wrong.

It will be interesting to see on TV. I thought it was a pen but he made a bit more of it than he should. You might well be correct though. It looked like decent contact and the defenders didn't seem to complain too much. Anyway, after Tranmere and Leeds we deserved a decision going our way. So be it if it's at the expense of franchise fc :D

there was plenty of complaints from Franchise, but **** em. I hate everything about the club. The camera angle will be from behind, a similar (but more arial) view to the ref, but he dived. There may have been the feigntest if touches but nowhere near enough to make him fall. I was embaressed.

Making a meal of actual contact is not the same as diving with zero contact.

if you say so, but I know what I saw. If you want to make excuses for him that's fine by me. When we get done by something similar don't come crying to me

I was jokingly talking about the BBC Football [saints] website putting out erroneous data earlier, but it seems that it is screwed up quite badly, atm. According to it, Pompey are still losing to Hull, with minutes to go. Shame it isn't true. Swindon and Norwich are apparently still playing..!

Don't trust their table.

But you trust their commentry

In terms of the table, I was referring to at that particular moment. The BBC have since corrected their data.

And yes, I do trust the commentary. What else am I supposed to do, treat it with the upmost suspicion..? How are we going to resolve this..?

Tell you what, you lend me your season ticket, because I can't afford to go to matches at the moment. ;)

Big well done to Greg Hill who called the result & the reaction the same way I did

(Winky smiley Soi 33 thingy to him)

Keeps the dream alive a few days longer.

RB is a problem and needs sorting out.

BUT the good news is we sound like we played badly and won 3-0. That is good news.

Maybe if the pressure is now off the team can perform. You never know, we've felt this season that the team have stumbled when the pressure was on, possibly the NC pressure (though deserved) caused the stumbles.

A strange thing Sports Psychology, you never know what can spur a team on or cause them to freeze like rabbits.

Onwards to the Hartlepool game and let us HOPE that it is the expansive Saints that turn up at Wembley next week

He got touched, but not enough to warrant the comically awful dive.

We didn't play well going forward but were solid throughout the whole team and restricted them to set pieces, crosses from deep and the odd long ranger, although Franchise should have done better with a couple of loose balls that fell to them in the box.

Lambert's 3rd was worth the trip alone. I liked the split second collective intake of breath in the away end as everyone tried to work out if the ball was going in as it sailed over the keeper's head.

Looks like what should of happend vs Swindon happend at MKD today. lambert just missed out on a long range chip , which paid off today. he is class and keeps going and with this team of Saints players we cant rule out a very very late surge for a 6th place.

More for saints fans to cheer about!! COYR

Wotton Football Genius.

Gordon Bennett. Seriously? I didn't see anything special from him at all today. The first half the whole team was dreadful, just hoofing it anywhere and MS was no exception. If you think he was good, sorry, but that's just plain favouritism.

Didn't have a hand in any of the goals. The first was just a hopeful hoof into the box, may even have been a goal kick. The second was the pen and the thrid was a piece of individual brilliance, not from Schneiderlin.

Infact if you go on the OS report, the only mention of Schneiderlin is when he got booked. An effort into row Z towards the end of the first half was the only contribution I can remember from him.

I've no idea what you saw. :|

Gordon Bennett. Seriously? I didn't see anything special from him at all today. The first half the whole team was dreadful, just hoofing it anywhere and MS was no exception. If you think he was good, sorry, but that's just plain favouritism.

Didn't have a hand in any of the goals. The first was just a hopeful hoof into the box, may even have been a goal kick. The second was the pen and the thrid was a piece of individual brilliance, not from Schneiderlin.

Infact if you go on the OS report, the only mention of Schneiderlin is when he got booked. An effort into row Z towards the end of the first half was the only contribution I can remember from him.

To be fair he's the only one in the middle of the park. I keep seeing Hammond's name on the team sheet, and i see him do the coin toss at the start of the match. Then he goes missing for the next couple of hours

I wonder who was cooking her old man's tea whilst she was at the footie :-)

Ooooh. Next time I'm over in the Uk for the summer: a saints game or two and off to Towersey festival to play my whistle and flute I shall look you up. Buy me a pint in The Three Horsehoes or else!!

Just watched the goals on TFLS. Lamberts effort looks even better than I remember it. Was definitely a penalty too. Fonte made a comical meal of it, but was definitely caught.

Yes, don't know where Chez was sitting, as he suggested it was a dive, but Fonte was definitely caught, IMO. I might even look again, on the iPlayer later, just to make sure. Perhaps the Solent commentators were right after all.

Just seen the goals....WOW....That 3rd goal, I was expecting something like Stern John's 3rd against Hull a few years ago. But that was absilutely unbelievable. Goal of the season tbh

Think that was the last Saints hattrick too.

That goal was class! (Or maybe a hit and hope that for once came off ;))

Certainly a nice way to hit 25 league goals and 30 goal in all comps tho, he'll remember that one for a while :D

And looked a penalty to me, altho he definitely made more of it than he needed to.

Also, is it just me whose eyes are automatically drawn to the Saints logo on the window behind the presenters every time it cuts to them?

Edited by Jimmy_D

Chez definitely does need her/his eyes testing, but I can see her point as Fonte did make a meal of it. Wasn't a dive though. He was tripped. In fact, he deserves a great deal of praise for winning the penalty. His skill to get into that position was brilliant, especially coming from a centre back.

Talking of centre backs, Seaborne today looked completely lacking in confidence and played the long/hoof ball every single time he got possession - something we're not used to recently with Fonte, Jaidi and Perry having reasonably good distribution most of the time. It was like having Lancashire back in the team. Hoping he'll improve with time though.

Just seen Lamberts third on the tele. It looks better on there than it did at the game.

That goal was class! (Or maybe a hit and hope that for once came off ;))

Certainly a nice way to hit 25 league goals and 30 goal in all comps tho, he'll remember that one for a while :D

And looked a penalty to me, altho he definitely made more of it than he needed to.

Also, is it just me whose eyes are automatically drawn to the Saints logo on the window behind the presenters every time it cuts to them?

Ha no, mine are too!

Must been a crazy game of football, so many different opinions lol

fonte dived, no he didnt

morgan was great, no he wasnt

seabourne did well, didnt look confident

bottom line, we win 3-0, a win is a win, end of lol. Tho have to disagree with chez, lambert may not have done much APART from scoring a wonder hat trick, scores a 10 just for that me thinks

In terms of the table, I was referring to at that particular moment. The BBC have since corrected their data.

And yes, I do trust the commentary. What else am I supposed to do, treat it with the upmost suspicion..? How are we going to resolve this..?

Tell you what, you lend me your season ticket, because I can't afford to go to matches at the moment. ;)

Andy - next time I am due to miss a game will give you a shout

Must been a crazy game of football, so many different opinions lol

fonte dived, no he didnt

morgan was great, no he wasnt

seabourne did well, didnt look confident

Which is why this b*ll*cks mentality "You werent there, you have no right to an opinion on the game", so prevalent on here, is so laughable...

Wotton Football Genius.

Good to see about Morgan. For a player of his age, playing in CM he has been very consistent and excellent this season, good shout for runner up in the player of the season.

No Morgan was class yesterday held our midifield together own his own. fought hard for the ball in the middle of the pitch, some nice runs kept the ball well and good passing. Hammond was at another match I think, as I don't remember seeing him on the pitch. I have to say between your player ratings and Chez's I think Chez was watching the same game as me. Apart from the penalty that is which looked dead right to me Fonte was a little theatrical but is was a sure fire foul. More to the point is what was a cente back doing running into the box from wide left while beating two players with a skillful touch?

Puncheon didn't impress much again that twice in a week now, looks like he tries to beat his man too often and gets caught in possession.

Well sounds like another uninspiring performance, but for once we managed to get a resounding win out of it. That is a big improvement & long may it continue. Wish we could play franchise FC every week as we really do seem to have the beating of them every time we play them. Seen the goals on TFLS I thought it looked like a clear pen & not much protest from MK players. Lamberts third was a great vision by him & a great finish, although what the keeper was doing quite that far out is another story.

Keeping me as a ST for another season will be an even bigger one!

Today's result? Who gives a toss?

Looking at some of the reaction to this, I conclude more folk give a toss about the result than your potential failure to renew your ST!

If a 3 goal away win via a hat-trick from our top goal-scorer isn't doing much for you, irrespective of our division or current placing in it, it's probably time for a break anyway...

Out of interest, with so many conflicting opinions by even those that went to the game, how do you form your opinion?

Exactly what I was about to say. If anything the fact that people who were at the game have such differing opinions gives credence to the argument that you can't pass judgement if you didn't go.

reading through some peoples comments really makes me laugh.look at chez's ratings,yet he says we were rubbish? strange.others seem to be upset we won.it was not great but i felt we could step it up but we did not need to,always in control. for what its worth i thought it was a pen

Hard game to call from lots of different perspectives but ultimately a very comfortable and very well-deserved victory; it can't be easy for the players playing in that extraordinary half-built stadium,in front of a very small crowd of non-fans. LOL at the comments what would it ever be like if they get it finished (possibly for the world cup?) - have to say it has the potential to be a top-class stadium and I thought the high level open-plan concourses were very impressive, and the comfy seats(!) - maybe I was too hasty in writing off the possibility of us moving to a new super stadium? but with a very big BUT .... the traffic when you build a new stadium on the periphery and don't put proper transport links in ... absolutely horrendous... a crowd of 10k and still had time to pop into ASDA after the match for a bite to eat ... and still queued to get out the car parks a full 40 mins after the game. And no PUBS! Don't do it Saints!!

I thought we put in a solid away performance with no hang over from Tuesday night, AP clearly has the backing of the players and we piled into MK for the first 10 mins, the rest of the first half was very forgettable but we stayed with it, kept our concentration at the back and on the day Lambert was the difference between the two teams (and their comedy keeper). Anybody listen to their local radio after the game? Ince saying 'they were the better team'(!), 'Saints bullied them' (great, I loved hearing that one), and 'the ref cost us the game', totally deluded; they are a one dimensional team with very little flair or ability, I am embarressed (concerned?) as to how they can be above us in the league table, shows just how inconsitent we have been.

KD 7 - solid, some welcome short distribution and a couple of smart saves near the end.

DH 8 - looked comfortable at RB though missed out twice early on when he couldn't deliver from outside their full back, compensated well, a really solid performer at this level.

JF 7 - excellent reading and mobility always kept him one step ahead of the limited opposition he was up against. I didn't think it was a penalty - the defender's leg was planted and JF just eased himself over it - could have stepped round him and still maintained possession.

DS 6 - not convinced yet, incredibly weak in the air for his size and I was expecting far more of a ball-playing defender than we've seen so far.

JM 7 - solid game, prob the best game I've seen him have for the first team, comfortable defensively and had plenty of energy up and down the pitch as well.

JP 4 - very weak game, first touch was poor, took the wrong option far too many times, often caught in possession - trying too hard or not trying hard enough?

DH 5 - totally eclipsed by Schneiderlin, where's the player we bought from Colchester? Excellent in his first 10 games, hasn't seemed to do very much at all since he's been captain, shame to say it but it's a key area we need to strengthen for next season.

MS 8 - another really solid game, one of the key players for us next season, irreplacable at this level.

AL 4 - I'm a massive AL fan but he's just not done it recently, possibly since the Pompey game? Couldn't blame if he was looking towards the Prem though his contacts on here seem to say otherwise - possibly his new puppy keeping him up at night?

LB 7 - spikey, combative, gave it his all but nothing really fell for him today.

RL 8 - still not totally convinced about the roaming role he seems to have adopted since LB came into he side, far too often he's working miles from their goal (who does he think he is, Rooney?), surely he would be better occupied tying up their CHs and creating room for Punch and Lallana to get wide and for our midfield to play higher? Took his goals well. Third was awesome, you could see what was on before he received it but to execute it the way he did was pretty sensational.

Subs were all a bit of a nothing: Waigo seems to have lost his way again and is getting little pitch time, Connelly had a couple of nice touches and would be great to see 45 mins next Sunday, Wotton got stuck in and helped to ensure a welcome clean sheet.

Wasn't the best game of football you'll ever see but glad I went; half an excellent stadium, probably the weirdest football experience you'll ever see (stadium announcer and 'build up' the closest I've ever been to an 'american-style' sports experience - hope we don't have all that ballacks at Wembley next week).

If we'd had 5 more of these sorts of performances over the course of the season we would be well on our way to going up ...... booo!

No Morgan was class yesterday held our midifield together own his own. fought hard for the ball in the middle of the pitch, some nice runs kept the ball well and good passing. Hammond was at another match I think, as I don't remember seeing him on the pitch. I have to say between your player ratings and Chez's I think Chez was watching the same game as me. Apart from the penalty that is which looked dead right to me Fonte was a little theatrical but is was a sure fire foul. More to the point is what was a cente back doing running into the box from wide left while beating two players with a skillful touch?

Puncheon didn't impress much again that twice in a week now, looks like he tries to beat his man too often and gets caught in possession.

Sorry, I really didn't see anything to get excited about from any of our midfielders. 9/10 for MS? He didn't make any telling passes, set up any goals or get a shot on target. Yes he put a few tackles in, but his passing was mostly sideways and fairly short range. I almost feel sorry for anyone who is impressed by that.

Yesterday was a poor game of football. Even in the second half, if was only rickie making the most of two half chances and a penalty that won the game. The quality of football was dross, so I don't get how someone can come home and sing our playmaker's praises.