Random Saints fans

TopGun

I got talking to a couple of lads in a bar in Newcastle , turned out they were brothers and one supported Saints and the other QPR. Both were Geordies and neither had been to the Dell or Loftus Rd.

Only ever watched their team when they visited Newcastle ( so i guess they don't bother anymore)

Yes, I remember my dawning moment very well even after all these years. I was a kid living near Worthing but didn't pay much attention to football at Primary school as I attended one in a small village in Sussex where not much happening was an event. When I got to senior school at age 11 most of my new friends supported a team somewhere (mostly Spuds, West Ham or Liverpool in the mid 1960's) so I thought I should have one too. I was waiting at Worthing railway crossing for a train to pass whilst on my evening paper round (12/6 a week !!) one Saturday evening and to relieve the boredom I saw in that afternoon's footy results THE MAGIC WORDS.........West Ham 2....Southampton 6. Oooh, I thought, they look good - think I'll support the Saints. And I've had 40+ years of unremitting nervousness and misery ever since. Well, not ALL misery - there have been some great moments.............haven't there....???

Yes' date=' I remember my dawning moment very well even after all these years. I was a kid living near Worthing but didn't pay much attention to football at Primary school as I attended one in a small village in Sussex where not much happening was an event. When I got to senior school at age 11 most of my new friends supported a team somewhere (mostly Spuds, West Ham or Liverpool in the mid 1960's) so I thought I should have one too. I was waiting at Worthing railway crossing for a train to pass whilst on my evening paper round (12/6 a week !!) one Saturday evening and to relieve the boredom I saw in that afternoon's footy results THE MAGIC WORDS.........West Ham 2....Southampton 6. Oooh, I thought, they look good - think I'll support the Saints. And I've had 40+ years of unremitting nervousness and misery ever since. Well, not ALL misery - there have been some great moments.............haven't there....???[/quote']

Glory hunter!;)

Guilty here too...

Buying a Saints away shirt that was discounted in a sports shop in Salisbury along with the fact some relatives lived in Eastleigh who supported Saints. Needless to say I'm the only one who goes on a regular basis in my family these days.

People in my home town were either Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool or Luton. I was definitely the odd one out but it was the best decision I ever made.

Me. I came to Pompey in 1991 from Wiltshire to go to Uni (I went to a few Swindon matches but not a regular), I went to one game at Fratton as a Student and it was rubbish, fans spitting on their own players etc. I hated them and their scummy supporters.

My best mate at work a few years later got me tickets for a game at the Dell (he is born and bred but works and now lives in Pompey). Saints had always been a team that I had liked but never supported. When St Marys was built we both got season tickets and within a few games I become totally hooked. I have renewed every year since, go to a number of away games and have now started to bring my 6 year old (who was born in the hospital overlooking Fratton Park.)

I am waiting to be chosen to go on the pitch for a competion to be asked 'where have you come from today'...what sort of reaction would I get?

And me, went to uni in Southampton and started watching during the Branfoot glory days. First match was a league cup match and Saints beat Gillingham 3-0 If my memory serves me correctly, Matt Scored twice I think, and I had a new hero. Spent all my student loans etc on watching Saints home and away those days. Now I am lucky if I see them 7 times a season.

Me too.

Grew up near Sherborne in lovely North Dorset. In the early 70's I became a Saints fan as they were the nearest First Division team. Guess that makes me a glory hunter!

Friends all supported Liverpool, Man U, etc. Dad took me to my first game at the Dell in late 1974 against Chelsea. Either in October or December. Been a fan ever since.

Hoping to make it to my first game at SMS in November against Plymouth, with the wife and kids. Will there be anyone else there? :p

Me too. Grew up in Sussex in a non footballing family but then moved oop north when I was 10. At my new primary school, everyone was footy mad and supported either Liverpool or Man U. After a brief spell supporting Man U (I didn't know any better) I decided to (kind of) go back to my roots and support a southern team. At the time MLT was my idol so started supporting saints. Never went to many games (lonely being a saints fan up in Cheshire) but moved into a new flat and one of my new neighbours is a Saints fan. We now try and do as many games as we can up this neck of the woods, even made it down to St Mary's for the last game of the season.

I grew up in Rhodesia, came to England early 80's when Keegan, Channon, Shilton etc were all playing for the Saints. I went to the Dell with my uncle from Basingstoke and have supported Saints ever since even though we settled in Lincolnshire and still live there. My 2 boys are the only ones wearing Saints kits around here. SAINTS and PROUD..