Ian Branfoot

miserableoldgit

No, this is were you miss the point. My campaign is not to bring in Hoddle, but to get certain people to admit that the origin. of our decline happened when 'a vocal minority' played a part in the appointment of a manager who was completely out of his depth over an experienced, tried and successful ex saints and England manager.

Like anyone else I am absolutley delighted that we have begun the long climb to the top. But did we need so much pain.

As for your other post. 1. I am not a WUM and neither am I a knob.

I just want some people to face up to the truth and thier part in it.

My campaign will continue !

But the point is that there is NOTHING to campaign about! What Hoddle could have or would have achieved is pure conjecture. There is no proof that he would have been any better if he had come back to us than he did at Spurs or Wolves. It just "what if" and the answer is "Nobody Knows!" Not even you!

I think Dalek's right in what he is saying - I don't think we would have suffered a poor 04-05 and subsequent relegation.

However, who knows what would have happened after that? 05-06? 06-07? We could have been relegated... Sadly, no-one will ever know.

I've no doubt Hoddle would have made a better first of it than Sturrock, Wigley, Redknapp....

No, this is were you miss the point. My campaign is not to bring in Hoddle, but to get certain people to admit that the origin. of our decline happened when 'a vocal minority' played a part in the appointment of a manager who was completely out of his depth over an experienced, tried and successful ex saints and England manager.

Like anyone else I am absolutley delighted that we have begun the long climb to the top. But did we need so much pain.

As for your other post. 1. I am not a WUM and neither am I a knob.

I just want some people to face up to the truth and thier part in it.

My campaign will continue !

I disagree on all counts.

The fans didn't choose Sturrock nor did they choose to have him sacked so early in the season. The fans didn't choose Wigley nor choose to leave him in the job for so long. The fans didn't choose Redknapp and nor did they choose to spend so little in the Jan transfer window.

Many fans, I would call it a majority, did point out that Hoddle wasn't welcome. But your argument is based on several assumptions and false logic.

There was no choice between Sturrock and Hoddle - I'm sure there were many other potentially successful candidates.

There was no choice between Hoddle or relegation - you continually premise your argument on this but it falls down because there is no guarantee that Hoddle would've been a success (his record since Saints is pretty poor let's face it) and there were many other candidates who could've been chosen and been a success. Further IIRC the talk after Strachan was about getting a manager to "take us to the next level" (lol), relegation wasn't even on the cards at that stage.

In any case it is several years ago, change the record FFS.

I think Dalek's right in what he is saying - I don't think we would have suffered a poor 04-05 and subsequent relegation.

However, who knows what would have happened after that? 05-06? 06-07? We could have been relegated... Sadly, no-one will ever know.

I've no doubt Hoddle would have made a better first of it than Sturrock, Wigley, Redknapp....

Potentially correct but it wasn't the fans that chose that course of events over Hoddle. The choise after Strachan from the fans point of view was Hoddle or anyone else. The choise wasn't Hoddle or Sturrock, Wigley, Redknapp.

There was only one person who chose that.

I was sat in the traffic coming away from the ground this afternoon when someone tapped on my window. I looked around and it was Ian Branfoot! He was with Lew Chatterley and wanted to know where the road that we were on led to. I felt like I had had an acid-type flashback to the early 90`s! I just wish that I had been able to discuss his time as The Dell with him and how much I enjoyed it!:smt009:mad:

Hope you answered "Champions League glory..."

Hope you answered "Champions League glory..."

I actually seem to remember Branfoot being interviewed after he got the job as manager and he was asked what his ambitions were for Saints and he said something like "to win the Premier League and then the Champions League (or whatever it was in those days)" Hmmm......

Am I the only one who wants to know where the road they were on did lead to? Also, why did neither Ian or Lew know?

You probably are but for the record I was sat in traffic in Rochester St (by the Citroen garage, where LC had his car parked) waiting to get out and turn right into Britainnia Rd.

I actually seem to remember Branfoot being interviewed after he got the job as manager and he was asked what his ambitions were for Saints and he said something like "to win the Premier League and then the Champions League (or whatever it was in those days)" Hmmm......

Was it said in a dead pan WGS stylee p!ss take, or had he been on the magic mushrooms :D

Am I the only one who wants to know where the road they were on did lead to? Also, why did neither Ian or Lew know?

You probably are but for the record I was sat in traffic in Rochester St (by the Citroen garage, where LC had his car parked) waiting to get out and turn right into Britainnia Rd.

Damn .... I was hoping for something of biblical proportions and the answer being something like Damascus .... did that one eventually lead to promotion via the play offs?

That is exactly what I am saying. Who knows how long Hoddle would have lasted before he was replaced, most managers have a shelf life. However, we would most likely have remained a reasonably stable Premiership side and been able to dealt with it.

Appointing a rooky League 1 manager in a side that needed experience, continuity and a certain amount of status at the helm was a stupid decision and undoubtedly began our accelerated decline !

I disagree on all counts.

The fans didn't choose Sturrock nor did they choose to have him sacked so early in the season. The fans didn't choose Wigley nor choose to leave him in the job for so long. The fans didn't choose Redknapp and nor did they choose to spend so little in the Jan transfer window.

Many fans, I would call it a majority, did point out that Hoddle wasn't welcome. But your argument is based on several assumptions and false logic.

There was no choice between Sturrock and Hoddle - I'm sure there were many other potentially successful candidates.

There was no choice between Hoddle or relegation - you continually premise your argument on this but it falls down because there is no guarantee that Hoddle would've been a success (his record since Saints is pretty poor let's face it) and there were many other candidates who could've been chosen and been a success. Further IIRC the talk after Strachan was about getting a manager to "take us to the next level" (lol), relegation wasn't even on the cards at that stage.

In any case it is several years ago, change the record FFS.

Actually, many fans would NOT have minded Hoddle coming back. He had a good proven record as Saints and although leaving for Spurs was a kick in the teeth, there is little loyalty in football. In the grand scheme of things, Hoddle would have been a much better bet to see us through choppy times.

I don't know how successful Hoddle would have been, BUT surely you agree he would have been better than Hoddle.

As for other candidates available, if there were so many 'quality' candididates, why was Sturrock chosen.

Most fans felt bemused at the appointment of PS.

Actually, many fans would NOT have minded Hoddle coming back. He had a good proven record as Saints and although leaving for Spurs was a kick in the teeth, there is little loyalty in football. In the grand scheme of things, Hoddle would have been a much better bet to see us through choppy times.

I don't know how successful Hoddle would have been, BUT surely you agree he would have been better than Hoddle.

As for other candidates available, if there were so many 'quality' candididates, why was Sturrock chosen.

Most fans felt bemused at the appointment of PS.

Ooh, I don't know. I think maybe Hoddle would have been better than Hoddle. If not, then Hoddle would certainly have been better. ;)

Dalek if you came to more games then we would have stayed in the Premiership. Who knows how long we would have stayed up, most clubs have a shelf life. However, we would most likely have remained a reasonably stable Premiership side had you left Norwich a few more times.

Not turning up to a side that needed one more fan, a little bit more noise and a few more quid in the food tills was a stupid decision and undoubtedly began our accelerated decline.

See its easy to talk bull****.

Dalek if you came to more games then we would have stayed in the Premiership. Who knows how long we would have stayed up, most clubs have a shelf life. However, we would most likely have remained a reasonably stable Premiership side had you left Norwich a few more times.

Not turning up to a side that needed one more fan, a little bit more noise and a few more quid in the food tills was a stupid decision and undoubtedly began our accelerated decline.

See its easy to talk bull****.

As you have just proved.

Again you have spectacularly failed to comprehend the point, like you have for the last six years.

I'm going to make it my campaign to blame you for our decline and I won't stop until you admit the last five years of ****ness is all your fault.

Diversion tactics from your own part in our decline six years ago. Are you going to admit to it !