worst ref in 35 years

mightysaints

A friend of mine who is a Leeds United supporter and listened to the match on LUTV said that even their commentators were embarrassed by how one sided the refereeing was.

...yeah, but were they also embarrassed about us shoving their Yorkshire Puddings right up their a*ses by winning one goal to nada??!!

UP THE SAINTS!!!

(yorkshire puds on the menu tomorrow, with my roast..;))

Looking forward to watching the game on Saints Player. Walton won't get sacked for this unless evidence is found (which it won't - it is likely that Walton was on a personal vendetta if anything), so the best result for the paying Saints fans and the mood-dependant fan base is that, if he was that bad, for him to be demoted to League 2... and at least a couple of weeks as 4th Official.

As a referee myself i'm actually despondant. How can this EPL referee be SO BAD? how could he have given that incident in Leeds favour? It is a damning reflection on the Premier League at the end of the day, hopefully someone managed to get it through on 606 last night - because the more that find out about this the better. I am aware of new systems in England that are helping the production of good young referees. However most of them are foreign - and will referee in their respective countries. Numbers are down in the lower leagues and in the youth leagues, so there is a lot of hard work to be done to get the best for the future. I'm confident they can pull it off, because there are some clever men running these programs, however at the moment I fear that maybe the refs are getting what they deserve, ie more criticism.

Edited by brightspark

My honest belief, yeah he got a few wrong, but Hammond could have been sent off towards the end. Maybe a couple of ball to hand incidents that COULD have gone for us. The only big one was maybe Barnard getting felled by the last defender but looked like an accident/tangle of legs to me

I think you must have been at a different game to me. I have never seen such a poor refereeing performance in my entire life including Tyro and Sunday League - Barnard tangle of legs? he was puuled back and tripped in one movement. The wrestling move on Fonte when we score and he gives Leeds a free kick -a few wrong decisions Specsavers before Wembley methinks

A truly bizarre refereeing performance , I can't remember St Marys ever being quite so collectively angry with a match official . At times he was so one sided you started to go beyond questioning Peter Walton's competence and started to wonder about his integrity - perish the thought .

Usually I'm very sympathetic towards referees. They have an extremely difficult job and the linesmen/referee's assistants often give little support. It is inevitable refs will not spot everything.

However, Mr Walton's performance yesterday was, as Chapel End Charlie suggests, so one sided and so bizarre that I, too, began to wonder if I wasn't witnessing something more sinister than simple blistering incompetance. Given that we won the match, I probably wasn't;but the seeds of doubt were certainly there.

Deffo the worst ref performance in living memory.

I simply couldn't believe some of his decisions.

If the club historian says it's the worst refereeing performance in living memory then you know he was shocking!

A good game ruined by the worst referee I have ever seen. Countless mistakes; blatant, blatant fouls missed, countless handballs ignored and one assault given a yellow card...

God I am still seething about him!

Given the level of criticism and allegations of outright bias both from Saints and Leeds supporters, this referee should be subject to some form of enquiry by his governing body. Either he had a draw down on an accumulator or it was simply a personal thing. Either way it needs to be addressed to protect the integrity of the game.

Absolutely the worst ref I have ever seen. That pure assault on Harding was

violent conduct any day of the week yet he gets a yellow card. If we had lost today it would only be the referees fault as I thought we played really well against a good team.

Puncheon was absolutely fantastic. Throughout the game every ball he touched leeds just couldn't deal with. He tackles, he assists, he defends. He really is a fantastic

player. I felt almost disappointed at the end of the game as we should have won by

more. 5 minutes of extra time was an absolute joke and I'm

sure it went on for closer to 10!

The first two decisions in the second half he gave our way.

I was coming to the conclusion at this point that the guy was only capable of pointing for a free kick in one direction, towards the Chapel.

He then reverted to type.

How a referee can determine that Hammond flicking, not kicking, the ball away is worth the same punishment as a guy who lays out Harding with the ref looking straight at the incident beggars belief.

Fortunately he didnt cost us the 3 points, despite his best efforts.

Had he done so then there could have been a riot there yesterday.

And they try to say refs decisions dont insite the crowd........

Fonte's mistake was instinctively gripping the offender's hand when he was manhandled down. he should have let go before he hit the deck. Easy to say, not so easy to do in the heat of action. A biased ref doesn't need reasons.

As for the Itchen linesman, if he wasn't blindly inept he was in with the ref's bung.

wasn't that bad.......few wrong decisions possibly, but that's the same of any match.

Fonte was fouling the defender for our 'second' btw

Did you go the game? How you can play the refereeing down like that is ludicrous. That was one of the most awful/one sided referees I have ever witnessed (and there's many a shocker in League One, not to mention the CCC).

Beckford diving so blatantly from the onset, gives nothing. Should have been booked if he didn't give the foul. You think the ref would learn to penalise him next time. Nope! Beckford (the complete c***!) cheats two, three more times and even wins a free kick for falling and latching himself onto Jaidi and trying to make it look a foul....typical Leeds team! grrrr!!!!

The ref blew up for 50/50 shoulder barges and nothing over physical aginst Leeds, then the usual shoves and trips were clear to view and he just turns a blind eye. HOW CAN HE BE SO BLIND? They must have an agenda cos constantly ignoring fouls on Saints and giving innocuous decisions to Leeds p*ssed off most people sat around me and it was clear to all to see. I never thought I'd say this but the linesman was actually of some use today and had to flag like crazy on one foul (on Saints) which the ref had done his best to ignore. Fonte is such a wise head he even knew what Beckford was about to do on one occasion and raised his hands even before the challenge/Beckford crumpling to a heap and the ref f*ckin fell for it and gave to Leeds. That was clearly NOT a foul! Anyone else notice that incident?

All in all, The Ref was a disgrace to referees and not fit to officiate Sunday pub games! Shocking!

didn't have a great game. But does anyone else find out it so irritating how much our players are always constantley beratting the ref. Hammond, Lambert and Barnard in particular who just loves to go down, give it a rest.

A little bit, it should really only be the captain, Hammond, that talks to the ref.

When its a really bad decision, like so many yesterday I can understand it.

When its a run of the mill thing then yes, they should leave it alone.

BTW - "didn't have a great game" is a touch of an understatement.

Mr Walton

Tosser... Fact !

I haven't seen such an inept performance by a ref for a long time ...actually it was worse than that because he wasn't just inept he was blatantly bias against Saints

I'd love to see the assessment report on that fiasco... thank God it didn't cost us the game

Oh yea ..Beckford ....could some PLEASE PLEASE explain how on God's earth Premiership clubs were interested in that diving pile of sh*ite ...to be honest a couple of his dives were as good as Tom Daley when he won the World Championships :-)

You've completely missed the point of what I was saying. As if I would dig at peoples attendances (apart from people in Currently Maidstone)

You realy are a plonker of the highest order Alpine. The whole point is that you constantly have a view about something you not only didn't see, but were hundreds of miles away from. And that view is inevitabley negative because that is what you zone in on.

Whether I am in "Currently Maidstone" or anywhere else for that matter I leave stuff like that to people who saw it. For example, you say "that bad" about the ref at Tranmere but you personally have no idea how good or bad he was other than from what some others have posted here. MInd you, when Pards had a pop at the ref you called that an "excuse"??

So then, what was it? A poor ref or an excuse? And does it depends who calls him a poor ref???

Difficult to add anything to the 99.9% of posters who agree that this guy was Sh#t (note the capital 'S').

All I want to say is thanks to Saint_clark for the great photos which clears up one of (the many!) appalling decisions !

On a scale of 10 Walton would have struggled for 1 !!!

I have seen a few poor refereeing performances down the years, but for those who weren't at the game yeaterday, you truelly have to believe that this ref was either totally incompetant OR a ****ing cheat!!! To me the later seems more likely. Some of his decisions were incredible. The fact that every foul, every handball ( and there were bizzaarly quite a few ) against Saints was waved away and the fact a perfectly good goal was disallowed made me deeply suspicious of what Mr Walton was up to, you had to be there to see it with your own eyes it was unbelievable!!!

Am I the only one that think the ref gave the free kick for a foul by Jaidi on the defender? It look to me like he pushed him out of the way, just before he slotted the ball home...

It's possible but then he should have given the wrestle on Fonte first ;)

Am I the only one that think the ref gave the free kick for a foul by Jaidi on the defender? It look to me like he pushed him out of the way, just before he slotted the ball home...

If he disallows the goal, then he should pull it back for the earlier offense and award a penalty.

After the Fonte Man-Handling, The ref quite rightly allowed the 4 second play-on rule.

We scored, so the earlier foul on Fonte should not have been an issue, but if we had missed, he should have pulled it back for a Penalty.

He obviously did not think that throwing someone to the ground via a hand around the throat & neck is a foul!!!! geez!

The sad fact is that pillock ref should not be allowed to be in charge of a game at this level of football ever again.

Totally digusting there should be some recourse for us paying punters but there isn`t it stinks.

If you or I were that bad at our jobs we would get the bloody sack !

After witnessing the shambolic refereeing of the Tranmere game, and then yesterday's embarrassingly awful referee, I am very tempted to write to the Referee's Association or whatever it is and make a complaint. It's not on that we, or any other team, should suffer disadvantages in what should be an unbiased match just because a referee is incapable of doing his job properly. Like someone else said, if I was that bad at my job, I'd get the sack.

Luckily, each game has someone in the stand with a clipboard who rates the referee's performance. If they have a terrible game, then they will get a warning or something like that. I hope we never see Mr. Quinn (Tranmere) or Mr. Walton (Leeds fan) ever again. Disgrace.[/rant]

A coule of weeks ago Peter Walton took a lot of stick from the 5 Live commentators for his performance in a match. I cannot rememvber now which game. Perhaps he has been demoted to the FL.

I really think that whoever took those pictures should send them to the national press and the FA. The sooner that Peter Walton gets sacked the better.

I wrote to the FA last night and complained about the Referee. I suggested that he study the match video, with the Match Assessor, and see where he went wrong. I also suggested that he should be demoted to the Conference.

saint-stevo, you were ****ed yesterday. Try watching the next game without drink dulling your brain.

[/b]

I wrote to the FA last night and complained about the Referee. I suggested that he study the match video, with the Match Assessor, and see where he went wrong. I also suggested that he should be demoted to the Conference.

saint-stevo, you were ****ed yesterday. Try watching the next game without drink dulling your brain.

I may do this too. Let's all do it. We won and didn't have anyone sent-off so for us all to be this annoyed he really must've been bad!

All criticism of him here is just, apart from the 5 mins injury time.

They had a lad on the deck for ages having his head put back together. Given that most uneventful matches have around 2 mins added on anyway, 5 was not shocking.

I agree. There were three subs plus a longish injury and a few bookings so 5 mins was OK.

I may do this too. Let's all do it. We won and didn't have anyone sent-off so for us all to be this annoyed he really must've been bad!

It must have shocked the Ref (and his assessor), when he booked a Leeds player in front of the Itchen mid way through the 2nd half (not Gradel), and even though we got the freekick, the anti-ref singing from Saints fans was deafening.

I don't think I've ever got so worked up about a referee during a game as I did yesterday and I was there at Tranmere last week!

Without a doubt the worst ref I have ever seen. Yesterday wasn't incompetence as no professional referee could be that bad (surely?), it was out and out cheating. He obvisouly dislikes us for some reason or other.

I was right in line with the pen decision and a day later I still can't get my head round that decision. Its a pen or a goal. Where the **** does he find a free kick?

I have to say though that Harding's face holding when Gradle pushed him to the floor was embaressing. I admit I was on the Kingsland side, but even from there it was obvious he didn't hurt him.

I was right in line with the pen decision and a day later I still can't get my head round that decision. Its a pen or a goal. Where the **** does he find a free kick?

I have to say though that Harding's face holding when Gradle pushed him to the floor was embaressing. I admit I was on the Kingsland side, but even from there it was obvious he didn't hurt him.

There were certainly some bizarre decisions yesterday. I was calling for a penalty when Jaidi scored so I was thinking what a great decision it was from him to let play continue for a couple of seconds in case we scored. Silly me. And what the heck was that assault on the back Harding in stoppage time? I'm not talking about the two-handed push but the off-the ground aerial chalenge.

If we want to make a complaint, whom do we need to complain to?

Is it the FA? The referees association or both?

Has anyone got the e-mail addresses or the snail mail addresses please.

I emailed the address given on the "Referees" page of the FA website.

If enough of us complain they will have to look at this - assuming the assessor hasn't already done the biz.

All criticism of him here is just, apart from the 5 mins injury time.

They had a lad on the deck for ages having his head put back together. Given that most uneventful matches have around 2 mins added on anyway, 5 was not shocking.

You would think that if the injury was that bad that there would have been blood on his shirt or blood seeping through the bandage but I can assure you (I sit in the centre of the Itchen stand) that there was no sign of any of the red stuff. What most of you would also have missed was the player going down the tunnel on his own apparently none the worse for the collision on the field or him removing the bandage has he entered the tunnel. Of course the bandage might have been causing him pain because it was wrapped tightly in which case I may be doing the lad a disservice.

Nevertheless it was the most inept refereeing display that I have ever had the misfortune to have witnessed - I am just pleased that the overall result was not affected.

I've just emailed the FA.

C'mon peeps. These guys are professional referees. You pay good money to watch football and you should be able to expect better than what we got yesterday.

From memory the person who would review a Ref performance at the FA was Keith Hackett.

However this article at the FA web site implies that KH was replaced by Mike Riley in Jan.

http://www.thefa.com/GetIntoFootball/Referee/NewsAndFeatures/2009/RileyAppointed.aspx

If true, the bad news is that MR is a leeds supporter (I think).

p.s. I also think Walton was truly shocking yesterday, the worst I've seen in over 40 years watching Saints.

Are you thinking about the FA cup match against Oldham at the Dell where he just played till Oldham equalised?

I thought then I would never see such a bad ref but today "Les Battersby lookalike" Peter Walton takes the award!

Yeah that was the one, i think everyone knew we would lose the week after at boundary park on that horrible plastic pitch which made it worse! milford had held the crappiest ref crown ever since he took it off david axcell ( sp) the turd who played 8 minutes off injury time at highbury so arsenal could make it 2-2 in 88, we were top of the league before that game!

I forgot to say the "Professional Game Match Officials Ltd" have a web site

http://www.refworld.com/select_group_referees/0/2

and it appears you can ask Peter Walton questions if you become a member.

(If somebody does please ask the following questions.)

? Why was your performance so bad on the the 13 March ? It was almost as if you were playing for leeds that day ?

The first two decisions in the second half he gave our way.

I was coming to the conclusion at this point that the guy was only capable of pointing for a free kick in one direction, towards the Chapel.

He then reverted to type.

The guy next to me was questioning the strength of his half time pint at that, I had uberlolz.

well i can see that i am obviously a moronic c*nt

Pictures say a thousand words

It's either that or your default in any debate is to deliberately take a contrary position, I heard a rumour the only way you get wood is by getting someone to disagree with you on messageboards.

Walton was promoted to the Football League List of referees in 1998, despite a reported comment from the former Wimbledon manager Joe Kinnear that he was "too thick to become a referee". Quoted in Wiki.

Peter Walton was the ref conned into giving a penalty by Liverpool's Ngog when there was absolutely no contact.

I note that he was meant to have retired last year, having reached the refs retirement age of 49, but appealed successfully for a 1 yr extension.