• Puncheon
    • Hammond
    • Schneiderlin
    • Lallana
    • Lambert
    • Barnard
    • Shooooooooot!!! Thomas
    • Waigo

First half we were brilliant, absolutely battered them. Puncheon is a great winger, always beats his man and has a good final ball. Second half not so great, but they were terrible and we never really looked in danger.

Very good performance by the lads but we should be putting more of our chances away. I thought Jaidi and Fonte were immense.

I have never seen such a totally inept refereeing performance in my entire life including Tyro and Sunday League. I have never seen a referee get every decision he did make wrong and avoid a decision at every major point. Giving a free kick to Leeds after Fonte was wrestled to the ground and we score is a classic.

Bring on Swindon

Great win. Pardew spot on about consistency though. Need to beat Swindon Tuesday to keep play off hopes flickering. And to the Leeds fan bleating on 606 about how Leeds and Norwich are "clearly" the best sides in League 1, hope you choke on your gravy, you Northern Monkey.

listened to 606 myself, great to hear l;ots of saints fans phoning in

awesome win, great performance from all of them. Ref = terrible! Fonte was put in a headlock and wrestled to the ground for our 2nd and the ref gave a freekick to them for a little push from Jaidi (who was awesome, along with Fonte). Bring on Swindon! COYR

It was interesting to listen to Eddie Gray and commentator on the BBC Leeds feed. They held their hands up and admitted to being comprehensively outplayed in every area of the pitch. Just keep this going and I'll be content - no matter where we finish.

I think the reason why Fonte didn't get the penalty was in the build up to us getting the corner, their goalkeeper was complaining to the ref that he was fouled.

I said to my mate at the time, he will give them a free kick when the corner is taken.

Seen this happen so many times.

Jaidi was brilliant yesterday, it's a shame he's coming to the end of his career, we've got no chance of replacing him properly. We spend 1.2m on Fonte and he's not even half the defender Jaidi is when he plays well.

If he keeps up this level of form for the rest of the season he'd be up there with Lambert for player of the season imo.

Jaidi was brilliant yesterday, it's a shame he's coming to the end of his career, we've got no chance of replacing him properly. We spend 1.2m on Fonte and he's not even half the defender Jaidi is when he plays well.

If he keeps up this level of form for the rest of the season he'd be up there with Lambert for player of the season imo.

Andy thank god you are playing and not managing in the forum game! Lol, if you believe that Fonti is only half the player Jaidi is. It is my belief that they compliment each other very well and so Jaidi is more confident that the more agile Fonte is there to cover. It is a pairing and that is the strength. Look at Claus without Killer, not a fraction of the player.Both did well yesterday. I posted Fonte Motm but it was a toss up between the 2 and the overriding thing that made me take that decision was in the 2nd half when the ball went over Fonte and he hooked the ball over his head to snuff out the onrushing Leeds playerfs attempts to sneak a chance.

Andy thank god you are playing and not managing in the forum game! Lol, if you believe that Fonti is only half the player Jaidi is. It is my belief that they compliment each other very well and so Jaidi is more confident that the more agile Fonte is there to cover. It is a pairing and that is the strength. Look at Claus without Killer, not a fraction of the player.Both did well yesterday. I posted Fonte Motm but it was a toss up between the 2 and the overriding thing that made me take that decision was in the 2nd half when the ball went over Fonte and he hooked the ball over his head to snuff out the onrushing Leeds playerfs attempts to sneak a chance.

I was probably pushing it a bit, Fonte and Jaidi are a great pair can't ask for much more from two centre backs really.

The thing I like about Fonte is he just never seems to make mistakes. His distribution is a bit hit and miss sometimes but he's very clever in knowing when to play the ball and when to just hoof it into touch.

Jaidi is just a rock at the back, I don't think I've seen his lose a header all season, hopefully Seaborne can learn a lot from him in training.

I was probably pushing it a bit, Fonte and Jaidi are a great pair can't ask for much more from two centre backs really.

The thing I like about Fonte is he just never seems to make mistakes. His distribution is a bit hit and miss sometimes but he's very clever in knowing when to play the ball and when to just hoof it into touch.

Jaidi is just a rock at the back, I don't think I've seen his lose a header all season, hopefully Seaborne can learn a lot from him in training.

I had worried you had been heading the ball a bit too much recently for you to have made your first assessment. I agree let's hope Seabourne gets a bit of knowledge from Jaidi as I doubt he will be such a player next season.

I think the reason why Fonte didn't get the penalty was in the build up to us getting the corner, their goalkeeper was complaining to the ref that he was fouled.

I said to my mate at the time, he will give them a free kick when the corner is taken.

Seen this happen so many times.

Spot on. And the hallmark of a poor kneejerk referee. Walton should retire.

I had worried you had been heading the ball a bit too much recently for you to have made your first assessment. I agree let's hope Seabourne gets a bit of knowledge from Jaidi as I doubt he will be such a player next season.

Jaidi doesn't really rely on his pace much when he plays so hopefully he can carry his form over into next season.

Can see Pardew keeping him for league games and playing Seaborne and Fonte together for the cup games next season.

not sure if it's been posted, but here's a nice read from a Leeds supporter!

http://www.thescratchingshed.com/2010/03/former-leeds-player-harding-secures-win-for-saints/?

I agree with the sentiment of some of those Leeds fans. I think they should be anxious. I think that most of the teams above us should be anxious, unlike Saints they lack the depth in their squads to see out consistent runs of form at the end of the season, whereas we will continue to win far more than we lose, no doubts about it.

I thought a mid-table finish for Pards this season after the ****-sandwich he was served by Wotte and Lowe was going to be all we'd manage (and that would have been impressive). Now I am beginning to think Pards may just pull off a play-off place.

Bit slow to get on here so no doubt there are loads of ratings and reports already but for what it's worth, here are my thoughts:

KD - n/a - did he actually have a save to make? Can't remember one.

Semi - n/a - didn't last long but was looking good. Uses the ball well. Hope the injury isn't bad.

Big Wayne - 7 - really solid in defence. Not as accomplished as Semi going forwards but a really reliable performer at the moment.

Fonte - 8 - didn't put a foot wrong all match. His reading and positioning is superb. Knows when to hoof it and when to play it.

Jaidi - 9 - MOM (just) - absolutely dominant. Didn't give Becchio a sniff and consequently Leeds were unable to get any possession in dangerous area.

Harding - 8 - Best full-back we've had since Bale. Too good for League One and another goal. Great signing.

Puncheon - 9 - Contender for MOM. So dangerous on the right wing - can go outside and cross right-footed or come inside and create havoc. Unlucky not to score when he hit the post. Whoever at Plymouth decided he was surplus to requirements is clearly a mentalist.

Schneiderlin - 9 - One of his best games for Saints IMO. Controlled the midfield and hardly ever lost possession.

Hammond - 7 - Unspectaculr but vital. He does a job for us that no one else can do.

Lallana - 9 - carried the attack at speed on several occasions and used possession very well. Worked his socks off as always. When he and Puncheon get the chance to link up it's a joy to behold.

Barnard - 7 - unlucky to get nothing when bundled over through on goal (I'm sure someone has mentioned the ref already! :mad:). Worked hard.

Lambert - 6 - Kisnorbo handled him really well in the air but he battled away and linked well when he got it. Not bad by any stretch but hard to give him more when there were so many excellent performances from our other players today.

Waigo - 7 - worked the channels well to run down the clock when he came on.

Overall, a funy game which we deserved to have put to bed by half-time. It was only really the ref which ensured that didn't happen. We didn't create too much in the second half but we were still completely comfortable. Our defence and midfield were rock solid and Leeds were reduced to hopeful punts.

If this team is kept together then next season will be brilliant!

Funnily enough, I was pretty confident we'd keep Leeds out, and I was reasonably calm.

The beer tastes good now I've actually opened it. ;)

Same here. Some of our nervous fans need to get with the times!

Leeds never looked like scoring. Their best chance was the ref deciding to manufacture them a penalty.

Excellent result, good performance, pity about the Brighton game :-(

You really need help mate. So once again you can't enjoy a win over decent opposition, preferring to keep rooted in a poor performace (which by the way even the best teams have at some point in a season).

Tell me Alpine, when you lost your virginity was the only thing on your mind the first girl you tried it on with and got knocked back???

In recent weeks we have beaten Norwich away, Walsall, Huddersfield and Leeds....and you drag up an old result against Brighton. Jeez.

You really need help mate. So once again you can't enjoy a win over decent opposition, preferring to keep rooted in a poor performace (which by the way even the best teams have at some point in a season).

Tell me Alpine, when you lost your virginity was the only thing on your mind the first girl you tried it on with and got knocked back???

In recent weeks we have beaten Norwich away, Walsall, Huddersfield and Leeds....and you drag up an old result against Brighton. Jeez.

You owe Alps an apology, SOG. He was saying it was a shame Brighton got turned over by Swindon, not referring back to our game months ago. He's been very enthusiastic about Saints' win and has even suggested we can still make the playoffs.

I think he's referring to swindon beating Brighton.

You owe Alps an apology, SOG. He was saying it was a shame Brighton got turned over by Swindon, not referring back to our game months ago. He's been very enthusiastic about Saints' win and has even suggested we can still make the playoffs.

hear hear.. alpine does get his fair bit of stick on here to be honest but never knocked him as obviously is a genuine supporter allbeit not always in agreement with... but not a wum as could be said about couple of other ******s on here...

There was what, 1 shot in the second half? A scruffy Papa Waigo effort iirc

Yeah, but that doesn't mean we played badly second half. Sorry, I might have misinterpreted your post but the second half display ws just as good as the first - just for different reasons.

I don't think "scrappy" is really a fair description.

Fair point, but given his usual negativity and the fact that his comment followed a post about the Tranmere result is was an easy mistake to make. ;)

Frustrating game with both the referee's stupid decisions and Beckford's ridiculous dives being amongst the most annoying moments of the game but at least we got the win.

Jaidi was an absolute rock in the defence, won absolutely every header with ease, we really do have one of the best defences this side of the Premier League.

Also interesting to see that our attendance of 30,000 not only beat every other match in League One, but also the Championship AND every Premier League game except for Chelsea and Spurs!

Yeah, but that doesn't mean we played badly second half. Sorry, I might have misinterpreted your post but the second half display ws just as good as the first - just for different reasons.

I don't think "scrappy" is really a fair description.

I think the second half was fairly scrappy as Leeds tightened up the midfield. The referee didn't help the flow of the game either. That said we were still very much the better team and Jaidi and Fonte made Becchio and Beckford very ordinary indeed.

Edited by krissyboy31

Fantastic performance - isn't it nice to go to St Marys in a positive frame of mind.

Loads to overcome yesterday - Beckfords theatrics, Leeds cheating, and possibly the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen. At times the decisions were so bad that the only conclusion you could come to is that Walton was a blatant cheat.

Yet despite all that the boys showed great resilience - a very deserved win. AP has certainly put together a great team that are also playing some great football. All Leeds could offer was a big 'hoof' all the time.

Great game, great result - can't wait for Swindon.

Was it just me who thought lambert was superb yesterday?

Hold up play,flick ons.Surely he doesnt have to score to be warranted some credit.

Jaidi + Fonte immense as stated.

Puncheon great first half but died a bit second.

Lallana just gets better and better.

This club are really on the up and thanks NC+ML for giving us our club back.

No, I agree with you totally. Very high pass completion rate, great control and vision in setting up the goal, and finally got the better of Kisnorbo in the 2nd half resulting in the Leeds man collecting a booking. He even chipped in with some good defensive clearances.

did anyone else not have the saints - leeds match on the late kick off or is it just my sky box not recording things properly!!!

I thought it was my Sky box! The League 1 goals are about to start and then it just skips to the Carlisle game. Strange.

I was worried before the game as Leeds had plenty of opportunity to be ready for us (after Warsaw and Huddersfield) and would arrive with a plan to get a result. However, they were never really a threat in front of goal - even in the second half when they had much more possession, they never created a real threat.

I thought Puncheon had a great game - but my eye was also on Fonte who was excellent, Spideman who very creative in mid-field and Dan H who has been immense this season. Our frontline caused them problems and Barnard was all running all over the place.

The played 3 forwards in 2nd half and were obviously confident that they could nick something having only conceded 1 goal in the first half. Despite having much more dominance in midfield they couldn't break us down.

As others have said ref was poor but this worked toour benefit as Hammond could easily received a second yellow with enough time for Leeds to take advantage.

Reflecting back over the game - this was an easy win !

Fair point, but given his usual negativity and the fact that his comment followed a post about the Tranmere result is was an easy mistake to make. ;)

Apology accepted, despite its grudging nature.

Doesnt excuse the personal abuse that followed it up though: I suspect you came close to an infraction for that (if not actually awarded).

Hold up play,flick ons.Surely he doesnt have to score to be warranted some credit.

nope, he was excellent - but i just accept that as the norm these days!

his flick's and headers are always intelligent as well, and his setup play for the goal was very good..

First half we were a class above Leeds, no argument about it. Puncheon was making a mockery of their left back's defensive capabilities and our whole midfield finally looked like something had 'clicked'. Hammond had another good game and Schneiderlin once again played brilliantly. Lallana was all over the park chasing the ball and never gave up.

Agree with the comments about Lambert; he was suberb. His hold up play, knock ons, passing, creating chances from nothing and general presence shows his quality. Obvious statement but he is a class player.

Loved it that Dan Harding got the winner. Ex-Leeds and if I remember correctly he ran in front of the Leeds section with his hand to his ear? Brilliant.

Fonte and Jaidi were class and very professional. Thomas did a good job when he came on as well, even if there was a tiny bit of communication issues with Fonte.

First half we made dirty Leeds look very average, although they improved in the second, I didn't think they'd equalise. One shot on target the whole game says it all really.

Referee was a joke. Never seen a ref get booed like that at half time. 'Nuff said.

It's Sunday afternoon and I am still buzzing from the win. Like Pardew said, it was a professional performance, and to be honest we could have been 3-0 up at half time. Having said that, it was only 1-0, but we did what we needed to do to get the win. And what a win it was.

:D

Haven't noticed any threads on the idiot who taunted the Leeds fans after the game. He goaded them, the police stopped all but 2 getting round them, then it was them 2 chasing the saints fan whilst the families looked on. The Leeds supporter was shouting at him, "where are your mates now? Where's your red army?" As he looked around, all there were were families and small children by and large, and anybody else was, well, you asked 'em over here mate, you're on your own! The guy was an absolute tw*t, and if the Leeds guy hadn;t scared the sh*t out of him, then someone from our side should have given him a slap. He was on his own and trying to start on the whole of the Leeds supporters with family and children all around.

If you read this board mate, have you cleaned your trousers yet? You dipstick!

did anyone else not have the saints - leeds match on the late kick off or is it just my sky box not recording things properly!!!

This happened to me too! i recorded it with sky plus and it cut out for the couple of mins showing our game and the norwich game.

i was really p1ssed off but i thought it was only me! bloody sky

This happened to me too! i recorded it with sky plus and it cut out for the couple of mins showing our game and the norwich game.

i was really p1ssed off but i thought it was only me! bloody sky

yep same thing here, I kept rewinding and fast forwarding like some kind of deranged idiot before it clicked that something had gone wrong

Great win, we were better than leeds to be honest and a professional performance all round with Puncheon my man of the match, although to be honest it could have been a few others as well. So many players put in great performances.

2 things that did **** me off though...

1. The ref - in 9 seasons of watching saints football, I have never seen such a bias **** blind ref, we couldn't get anything out of hikm and when we did it wasn't in a particularly advantageous place for us. On another day, he could of cost us our deserved win. A disgrace.

2. The music - who the **** has decided to make the pre-match 'atmosFEAAAARRR' sound like you are in some ****e nightclub/5 year old birthday party. Can someone with connections please make them stop playing the songs they play pre-match. It's embarrassing... hell, I would be happy if they just stopped playing that dreadful oh when the saints remix.

But yes, really happy with the win yesterday :D Good times, bring on Swindon!