Attempts on target

Southampton 5 Leeds United 1

Attempts off target

Southampton 8 Leeds United 5

Corners

Fouls

Southampton 16 Leeds Utd 9

Says it all about the tw*t in the black (or was it green). How can a team who has almost all the chances, corners and most of the possession commit twice the number of fouls that the team doing most of the defending did. Stats don't lie. Shocking ref did his best to wreck it, but we were immense today throughout. In some ways today was even better than Huddersfield because we never gave them a sniff and 'won-ugly.' And even at 1-0 up I never felt we'd lose it - not something I feel very often. Jaidi & Fonte were superb, but they all contributed today. And watching Lallana & Puncheon is a delight, both such skilful, imaginative players. How the hell could Plymouth let him go off on loan and then sell him - rocks for brains down that way, I reckon.

pleased by all those stats, lets get mean and win rather than nice, pretty and lose

How can a team who has almost all the chances, corners and most of the possession commit twice the number of fouls that the team doing most of the defending did. Stats don't lie.

Some quite bizarre logic you are using there.

The ref was poor but there is no direct correlation between the dominance of a team and the number of fouls.

Great result and gives us hope to keep fighting till the end.

Based on our preformances against the better teams I fancy our chances if we can make it to the play off's and think we have a team that wouldnt look out of place in the CCC. Still a slim chance of getting into that top 6 but results like these when the ref is on a wind up will do loads for the confidence and belieff in the sqaud.

Stats from the BBC

Possession

Southampton 55% Leeds United 45%

Attempts on target

Attempts off target

Corners

Fouls

Says it all about the tw*t in the black (or was it green). How can a team who has almost all the chances, corners and most of the possession commit twice the number of fouls that the team doing most of the defending did. Stats don't lie. Shocking ref did his best to wreck it, but we were immense today throughout. In some ways today was even better than Huddersfield because we never gave them a sniff and 'won-ugly.' And even at 1-0 up I never felt we'd lose it - not something I feel very often. Jaidi & Fonte were superb, but they all contributed today. And watching Lallana & Puncheon is a delight, both such skilful, imaginative players. How the hell could Plymouth let him go off on loan and then sell him - rocks for brains down that way, I reckon.

If you actually check Skys sports center I think you will find it was 16 fouls won and they were conceded by Dirty Dirty Leeds

If you thought that ref was bad you should have been at Tranmere!

Did the ref at tranmere give fouls only to them? It seems to me that the ref in the first half today was intent on not giving us naything, and he looked desperately towards the lino for our goal hoping to give offside

We were fantastic in the first half, Leeds couldn't handle us. Second half, we didn't really get going but had enough at the back to keep them quiet. All round solid performance really, everybody did their job well. Lambert worked his socks off, and the referee.....well how he has refereed premiership games, god knows. Two or three blatant fouls in the first half that should have been awarded to us wern't given, how? I have no idea.

Puncheon looked fantastic once again, with Jaidi & Fonte brilliant in defence. Always nice to do Leeds over. Onto Tuesday now and I can't wait.

If you thought that ref was bad you should have been at Tranmere!

That ref was crap for both teams, this one was crap against us, downgraded from the prem and obviously showed why.

I really cant recall a worst referee during my 48 years of supporting saints!

Some quite bizarre logic you are using there.

The ref was poor but there is no direct correlation between the dominance of a team and the number of fouls.

I think you'll find there is becaue, by definition, the more defending you do ie tackling etc the more likely you are to concede free kicks

back from the game,motm,lets have,jaidi,fonte,morgan,harding,puncheon.absolutely immense display from the lads today.the ref paul walton shouldnt ever be allowed to ref again,i seriously wonder if he was bunged for his performance.to say everything went for leeds is an understatement.how many times did they get away with handling the ball and for dirty fouls.the disallowed goal was unreal.fontes marker had him in a bear hug and for the life of me i cant see how they get the free kick.anyway on this performance we will win this league next season as there will be no norwich or dirty leeds.roll on tuesday and then wembley.my last moan,i was in the kingsland today,never again,the people in there need to get up and sing for the lads,i was told to sit down so many times,it ruined what was a great day,

Just back.

Great Match, great atmosphere. Thought the ref was dire, and Leeds looked a shadow of what they were on TV in the FA Cup matches.

Chatting to a Leeds Season Ticket holder on the train home - very down about there performances in the league since the turn of the year, and genuiely doesn't see them getting an automatic promotion place. Which is a pity 'cos as someone said earlier int he thread, we could well do with them gone from this league rather than fighting with us for a top 2 position.

Anyway, well harry tonight.

We were brilliant today and deserved another goal, which we would have got if the ref was from this planet. Puncheon was great, but needs to develop an understanding with Lallana, he was open a few times and Puncheon went alone, he has obviously got a lot of confidence at the moment but that is not always the best for the team.

Leeds fans sung well but were menacing muppets outside the ground, but singing pompey songs is really poor.

Just on itouch in hotel. Will post about the match when I get to a proper computer. Just wanted to ask if anyone thought the Leeds fans were scumbags. Saw loads of them looking for it today, including 1 trying to start with me in hotel bar

I really enjoyed the game today. I thought we outplayed Leeds today and were by far, the much better side! I just could not see Leeds getting a goal today. Our CB's were superb and Puncheon was very good. I also thought that Barnard ran his socks off.

As for the Ref, :rolleyes:. Dear oh dear, he was poor and to think he ref'd in the Prem. Lets hope the Assessor reports the truth and Walton gets dropped to Sunday football.

Back from the match at last, For me this was a game of two completely different halves.

First half I thought our football was outstanding and 1-0 really flattered Leeds. Our defence & midfield were tremendous and we played them off the park.

The second half started completely differently - Leeds came out playing very physically, but what impressed me was that Saints more than matched them at that as well and I can't remember them having a clear chance.

Ref crap, amost but not quite as bad as Tranmere last week.

Just on itouch in hotel. Will post about the match when I get to a proper computer. Just wanted to ask if anyone thought the Leeds fans were scumbags. Saw loads of them looking for it today, including 1 trying to start with me in hotel bar

A lot of football fans are scumbags and a lot of Leeds fans aren't scumbags. It's the same at every club, even (shock horror) ours.

Well, from everyone i have talked to about the game (popped up the bridge at about 6ish) the re was complete dogsh*te.

To qoute a mate of mine when asking about the disallowed goal 'So we score a goal and Fonte gets hauled to the ground after the leeds defender had been warned about the pushing and pulling, and the ref gives them a free kick ??'

Plus the handball in the box !!!

Happy with this result today, gutted i was not there but hey ho.

Bring on Swindon, lets see how Austin/Paynter do against our brick wall defence

Does anyone realise that if we beat Swindon on Tuesday and we win our game in hand we'll only be 10 points off the pace :-). A win at MK Dons will help too.

I did'nt, wow!! I am trying not too think about it while it seems so far off, I prey we can make the play-offs but fear it is just too much.

I will try not to think about it too much untill or if its a little more possible.

COYS

Well, from everyone i have talked to about the game (popped up the bridge at about 6ish) the re was complete dogsh*te.

To qoute a mate of mine when asking about the disallowed goal 'So we score a goal and Fonte gets hauled to the ground after the leeds defender had been warned about the pushing and pulling, and the ref gives them a free kick ??'

Plus the handball in the box !!!

Happy with this result today, gutted i was not there but hey ho.

Bring on Swindon, lets see how Austin/Paynter do against our brick wall defence

Didn't give Leeds a chance - Jaidi was awesome and that was literally only a fraction ahead of Fonte. A great great partnership in the making, Kelvin seems more assured by them too.

Didn't give Leeds a chance - Jaidi was awesome and that was literally only a fraction ahead of Fonte. A great great partnership in the making, Kelvin seems more assured by them too.

Yeah exactly what i heard, and have seen lately, we seriously have such a fantastic squad now, i really am finding hard to identify the best signing between Fonte and Lambert ? If Fonte had been here from the start i easily think we would have made the playoffs.

Such a fantastic player, so assured.

Also heard how Leeds noticed they couldn't play football around us and decided to reinforce the 'dirty leeds' sentiment.

Northern c*nts

Does anyone realise that if we beat Swindon on Tuesday and we win our game in hand we'll only be 10 points off the pace :-). A win at MK Dons will help too.

Ummm .... back to where we were at day 1 of the season :cool:

Sorry, not meaning to take the mick mate ;)

Just think we are going to run out of games to make up the gap as the one or the other of the top 6/7 seem to make up for one of them faltering each week .... except for last week when it was our turn :(

As AP said, he wouldn't be heart broken if we don't make the play offs from where we are, nor would I, so lets enjoy the ride whilst it is still an even very remote possibility. The more teams we really stick it to between now and the end of season, would make any of or players who are possible transfer targets think that next year really would be our year ... why move away to teams in The Championship or Mickey mouse Prem teams like Wigan, Blackburn or Bolton. ... look at how good the crowds / atmosphere are when we are in 10th place .... just imagine what it'll be like at the top of the ladder :p

Just a quick mention for Fonte who was yet again different class. He reads the game so well he rarely needs to make a tackle, simply always in the right place at the right time. If he stays here for the full 3 and a half years of his contract then it will probably be the best million quid the club has ever spent IMO.

I was lucky enough to be in the Matt le Tiss suite today, and had a great afternoon surrounded mainly by very quiet Leeds fans!!

Excellent performance, and Leeds barely had a sniff.

I think Beckford can't have touched the ball more than 10 times in the entire match, and he spent most of it diving around trying to con the ref.

The ref was shocking and the Gradel yellow card summed it up; he must have seen him raise his hands to have booked him. so how come only yellow?!

Rather strangely Rickiie Lambert got MOM in the Le Tiss suite; thought he had a very quiet game by his standards, my top 3 were Fonte, Puncheon and Jaidi in that order, with Morgan just behind.

And who on earth voted for Otsemebor as MOM in the poll by the way?!

:)

Mrs Otsemebor?

Jaidi & Font were awesome.

No-one in this division can live with Lallana & Puncheon when they are in full flow.

Morgan is absolutely f'ing awesome. He pulls all our strings.

Ref was shocking.

Only negative for me is Pardew keeps on subbing Barnard. Give him 90 minutes please!

Only negative for me is Pardew keeps on subbing Barnard. Give him 90 minutes please!

personally i thought that was the perfect sub, we needed a presence up front that would stretch the leeds backline as the game was getting very condensed, and we were being pushed back.

by bringing on papa we had pace over the top and down the channels. Barnard was tiring slightly too, felt it wasn't going to be his day today as the ref' took a dislike to him!

Stats from the BBC

Possession

Southampton 55% Leeds United 45%

Attempts on target

Attempts off target

Corners

Fouls

It's fouls awarded, not committed.

On the Puncheon front, it was the player, who couldn't settle in and around Plymouth, who asked to be loaned out, I believe.

Jaidi & Font were awesome.

No-one in this division can live with Lallana & Puncheon when they are in full flow.

Morgan is absolutely f'ing awesome. He pulls all our strings.

Ref was shocking.

Nothing wrong there, for me. Papa brings a different danger and keeps the defence off-balance. Good substitution.

Nothing wrong there, for me. Papa brings a different danger and keeps the defence off-balance. Good substitution.

Agree, he is a great sub.

Especially when Leeds were one nil down.

Would have caused Grayson a massive dilemma !! If he takes of a defender and makes it more attacking he then leaves us the option to chuck the ball up to an explosive striker, and perhaps let a goal in on the counter.

Good tactics.

That and the fact that Barnard runs himself into the ground.

Can I just ask something regarding the Gradel/Harding incident:

A Leeds fan on 606 has said that Gradel reacted the way he was becuase:

"Harding should have been red carded for the attempt to break Gradel's leg"

All I saw was the thump Gradel gave him, so did anyone else see this supposed "Leg break tackle" or is it just bU||shat?

Great first half. We had a goal dissallowed for a foul on Fonte, thats not a typeing error, we hit the post, we had a goal mouth scramble where any one of 5 efforts could of scored, Jadi headed over from 6 yrds when unmarked as did Lallana. Second half we just contained leeds and they never threatened due to the imense present of Jadi and Fonte. As other posters have said the ref. was totally inept. Fonte was my mom, but credit to the whole team for their battling spirit. Oh and why didn't leeds have a player sent off when Harding was assaulted from behind. We all know the answer to that, don't we.

Great first half. We had a goal dissallowed for a foul on Fonte, thats not a typeing error, we hit the post, we had a goal mouth scramble where any one of 5 efforts could of scored, Jadi headed over from 6 yrds when unmarked as did Lallana. Second half we just contained leeds and they never threatened due to the imense present of Jadi and Fonte. As other posters have said the ref. was totally inept. Fonte was my mom, but credit to the whole team for their battling spirit. Oh and why didn't leeds have a player sent off when Harding was assaulted from behind. We all know the answer to that, don't we.

I should have used the spell checker

Can I just ask something regarding the Gradel/Harding incident:

A Leeds fan on 606 has said that Gradel reacted the way he was becuase:

"Harding should have been red carded for the attempt to break Gradel's leg"

All I saw was the thump Gradel gave him, so did anyone else see this supposed "Leg break tackle" or is it just bU||shat?

Absolute b*llocks, Harding tackled him and it went out for a throw in.

Are you still buying him/her a present tommorow ??

Still, explains the long hair

Good game, awful ref. How many handballs should we have had?

And the diasallowed goal - penalty for the head lock on Fonte.

Was in the Kingsland Northam corner - so obvious.

Unfortunately the ref was on the pitch.

Saints never i trouble.

Leeds awful.

Beckford anonymous aprt from his diving.

Thought todays performance was very professional. We won the game in spite of the ref. At no time did i feel that Leeds would score....my biggest worry was the ref giving dirty Leeds a way back in to the game and deny us the 3 points. And where the f**k did the ref find 5 minutes injury tme at the end. It was almost as though he was playing 'next goals the winner'......Referee was appalling. Even the ladies sat near me were berating the buffoon that is Peter Walton.