• Puncheon
    • Hammond
    • Schneiderlin
    • Lallana
    • Lambert
    • Barnard
    • Shooooooooot!!! Thomas
    • Waigo

Is Dan Harding the Saints unsung hero..?

He always puts in a good performance. He occasionally chips in with goals. He's good on the overlap. What more can you want from an LB..?

I'm a big fan, what a bargain he's been. Must be one of the signings of the season (at this level)

Always nice to beat Leeds, espically when they have a 12th player on the pitch! Seriously how the hell Peter Walton manages to get away with being a professional referee is beyond me. Shame we haven't made up any ground on the play-offs, but this result shows that so long as we keep the squad intact, but for a couple of new faces, we'll walk this league next season.

That was a bloody good win against a side who cheated and tried to con the ref most of the game trouble is the ref bought most of it, prem standard don't make me laugh. Snotgrass & Bratford would have been kicked up in the air if they played against some of the defenders back in the 70s, cheating barstards.

Our all round performance was very good today from the back right through to the front, at times I did not think one goal would be enough (twitchy bum) but it was. Onwards and upwards bring on The Robins Tuesday.

Great result, but play offs are out of reach. All about the JPT final and winning the league next year!!

Not quite, its all about winning as many games as possible the rest of this season to get that winning mentality and also winning the JPT. Play-offs are out of the question but the winning mentality thing is vital for next year, we need to show how dominant we can be and put the frighteners on everyone else.

We were immense. We dominated most of the match and frankly outplayed them. When they upped their game in the second half, we proved to be more resolute in our defending and the extent of Leed's pressure amounted to only one easy save for Kelvin. Beckford was well marshalled by our defence and had to resort to cheating dives in an effort to make a difference. The Leeds defence was also solid, but we carved out a number of chances and it is telling that the winning goal came from a full back. They can mark our strikers and our wide play-makers, but we have players like Harding who can score from the back, as did Thomas recently too. Our goals are coming from all over the team.

The refereee was absolutely diabolical. He missed more than one handball, there should either have been a goal or a penalty and certainly a sending off. How a referee can show quite that degree of incompetance I do not know, especially as I understand that he was recently a Premiership referee. Frankly, I don't think that he has reached his level down in the third division. Pub Sunday league seems to be where he belongs. The chants against him were taken up with a passion rarely seen against a referee. You don't know what you're doing, you're not fit to referee, how much are you being paid, rang out at full blast. It could easily have come to pass that his poor decisions could have lost the match for us, but thankfully this was a superb team performance from us and we have now beaten most of the top teams in the division.

The match today was a real entertainment worthy of at least the division above. The atmosphere and the fans were brilliant.

Is Dan Harding the Saints unsung hero..?

He always puts in a good performance. He occasionally chips in with goals. He's good on the overlap. What more can you want from an LB..?

I agree. He would be well worth the player of the season award IMO. He wont get it because Lambert has been equally good in his role, which happens to be more memorable to the fans.

We were the better team, had the real chances, Davis didn't have a save to make. The back four were very solid. The team worked hard for this win.

The referee was poor, when Barnard was tripped by the last defender, clear on goal he didn't give anything, when it was really a sending off.

I was just worried that the muppet would give a penalty towards the end for something soft.

Edited by derry

The ref was terrible first half.

Fonte was outstanding.

No idea why the second was disallowed.

Leeds had 1 shot on target and were shut out by the defence.

Our fans were great, theirs were very quite after the first 10 minutes.

We deserved to win by more.

Job done.

Oh and Jermaine Beckford spent half the game on the floor after looking at our back 4 and just falling over.

Edited by Nexstar

Good game despite a very poor ref (and it has to be said, his assistant on the Itchen side who seemed to keep his flag down a bit too mutch)

Our Manager says Leeds are the best team and one we need to aspire to. Well Mr Pardew, your team made them look poor.

Well worth our win. I am a happy bunny tonight.

Great result. Good performance.

Bring on Swindon!! If we can beat them we'll be 13 points off the playoffs. We'll STILL have a game in hand on them and two games on hand over most of the play off teams. Unlikely... but not impossible. Keep the faith!!!

C'mon you saints!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor referee, Barnard I think didn't help his cause with his theatrics early on, but that doesn't excuse some rather questionable decisions (or non-ones).

Puncheon again outstanding with the ball at his feet, Jaidi and Fonte the man mountains at the back.

Jermaine Beckford was dreadful, as was his diving and falling over whenever Jaidi breathed on him. Indeed I cannot pick out many Leeds players aside from their No.3 Kisnorbo and Bromby (26) with his dangerous throws. All the others were completely anonymous.

The ref was no where near as bad as that t0sser at Tranmere. At least Walton didn't affect the result like the ref did last week.

A great win against a team who look poor. Poor because that's how we made them look.

Again everyone had a role and played their part well, even Barnard although he was not effective as he has been.

Great result. First half we were brilliant, should have gone in at least 2-0 up (Barnard with a free header, Punch hitting the post)

2nd half leeds came out and upped it a bit, as you'd expect, but they played very little football which sucked the life out of the game.

To be honest most of the balls they played into the box were easy pickings for the outstanding pair of Fonte and Jaidi - i cannot pick a MOTM between those 2, they both get to share it.

Leeds surprised me, they were pretty poor - played very little football, and why a premiership club would want to sign beckford is beyond me - looked very poor, and was only interested in diving most of the time.

and what on earth has happened to Mcshefery! i remember when he took the **** when he was playing for Brum against us a few seasons ago, looks a shadow of that player.

Final note on the ref, who was completely shocking first half. If he's dropped down a league to ref this match, then the standard of refering above is pretty poor.

At least he didn't have a clanger which cost us the win though, all in all a happy night - not a great result day in terms of the other teams, but we're still on for a very decent 8th - 10th placed finish.

Great result. First half we were brilliant, should have gone in at least 2-0 up (Barnard with a free header, Punch hitting the post)

2nd half leeds came out and upped it a bit, as you'd expect, but they played very little football which sucked the life out of the game.

To be honest most of the balls they played into the box were easy pickings for the outstanding pair of Fonte and Jaidi - i cannot pick a MOTM between those 2, they both get to share it.

Leeds surprised me, they were pretty poor - played very little football, and why a premiership club would want to sign beckford is beyond me - looked very poor, and was only interested in diving most of the time.

and what on earth has happened to Mcshefery! i remember when he took the **** when he was playing for Brum against us a few seasons ago, looks a shadow of that player.

Final note on the ref, who was completely shocking first half. If he's dropped down a league to ref this match, then the standard of refering above is pretty poor.

At least he didn't have a clanger which cost us the win though, all in all a happy night - not a great result day in terms of the other teams, but we're still on for a very decent 8th - 10th placed finish.

Wouldn't go as far as brilliant for the first half, but fully agree with the rest

we'll be seeing alot more clean sheets with Fonte at the back ;)

he really has taken us up another level.

agreed but i also saw today why we struggle in some away games, both Puncheon and Lallana like to try fancy flicks which give away possession and lead to our full backs being out of position if the opposition counter attacks quickly, which can expose Jaidi's lack of pace.

Still not been a bad few weeks and i have throughly enjoyed games

Cannot believe how poor the ref was today - bottled it for what was a blatant penalty against Fonte...the defender had his arm around his throat when he brought him down FFS. Leeds cheated throughout the game - seems to me the reason they are starting to lose games is they have forgotten how to play football and rely heavily on Beckford faking fouls or by fouling themselves. Leeds certainly did not play good football today and Saints fully deserved the win. Fonte was my MOTM - immense performance, but Jaidi was superb too. Thomas and Harding both had very good games. Puncheon and Lallana were a complete nightmare for their defence. Davis had nothing to save all match really.

Very happy with that game - we have shown we are the top team in this division without the 10 points IMO and we are being entertained. Cannot ask for more TBH. Bring on Swindon - we need to muller them too. But then the REALLY big game will be the next away fixture too...actually they're all big - but win the next three and even the doubters will start to believe.

Fonte was excellent today but Jaidi put in probably the most solid centre back performance from any Saints centre back in the last 10 years. He was epic.

First half we were brilliant in attack-Lallana and Puncheon were different class. Second half, as a defensive unit, we were immense. Even more satisfying than Huddersfield today.

Always nice to beat Leeds, espically when they have a 12th player on the pitch! Seriously how the hell Peter Walton manages to get away with being a professional referee is beyond me. Shame we haven't made up any ground on the play-offs, but this result shows that so long as we keep the squad intact, but for a couple of new faces, we'll walk this league next season.

dont think we will as even without the ten point deduction we'd only be seven or eigth plus there will be some good teams coming down from the chapionship next yr we are too inconsistant at the moment but def progressing

agreed but i also saw today why we struggle in some away games, both Puncheon and Lallana like to try fancy flicks which give away possession and lead to our full backs being out of position if the opposition counter attacks quickly, which can expose Jaidi's lack of pace.

Still not been a bad few weeks and i have throughly enjoyed games

Merrington picked up on that point.

In the first half Leeds "apparently" gave them too much space. In the second they got much tighter to them and closed them down much more.

So my interpretation of that is that it cut down our attacking options. It also made me wonder whether in the Away games against lower level teams on bad pitches we may have been looking at the "wrong excuse"

Perhaps some teams have learnt how to stop us playing our expansive football rather than it being about ploughed fields.

No idea if it's true,just a reflection on something Big Dave said.

But again, enjoyed today let's keep it going and PLEASE

FFS no stupid sendings off or suspensions before Wembley guys, Hammond came close this afternoon.

Everybody who has seen the disallowed goal, so far, has commented that the actual foul was on Fonte, and not committed by Jaidi. However, the ref saw it differently.

Not sure if it's that easy to see on this but we had a birds eye view of it - definitely a penalty and I was pleading with the ref and didn't actually see the ball go in the back of the net only to be disallowed!!

(at time of posting "This video is still being processed. Video quality may improve once processing is complete.")

Showed some real grit and determination to cope with their inevitable pressure in the second half, although they still failed to really test Davies, which says a huge amount for our defence who played superbly by the sounds of things, and of course fully helped by the rest of the side. A great team performance.

Results like Tranmere will happen, but the performances today, vs Huddersfield and Walsall, and in other games recently, clearly show me that AP is moving things in the right direction and all the momentum is taking us in the right direction. In many ways, holding on for the win today, despite not scoring the goals we should've had, is a greater achievement.

There is something wrong when our performances nose dive off a cliff. It's not the opposition raising their level, it's the total drop off in our performance which is the cause. This is going to continue to happen if the issue is not addressed. It's always the same issue, the opposition get on top of our midfield and we just disappear. The smart move away from home would be to start with the extra defensive midfielder until we have control, then change around as and when required.

In some ways I rate today's win higher than the result against Huddersfield. Leeds did everything they could to upset our balance and control and we stood firm. This was exactly the sort of Leeds performance that I thought would worry Saints, but we came through with flying colours. Leeds could easily have gone the same as Huddersfield if we had got the second our play more than deserved. This was the complete performance, very professional. Leeds tried, but there was just no doors left open for them and they ended up looking average.

Great result today, Im really glad i came home for it.

Fonte and Jaidi were absolutely immense, and Puncheon looks unplayable at times. However I gave MoM to Schniederlin, he was absolute quality today. Everything he did set us up for an attack, or diffused one of theirs.

My Ratings FWIW

Kelvin - 6. nothing to do

Thomas - 7.5. looked calm and surprisingly assured at RB when he came on

Jaidi - 9. won everything

Fonte - 8. oozes class

Harding -7. unsung hero this season

Punch - 8. Too good for this league

Hammond -7. We missed him when he was injured

Morgan - 9. PL class today

Lallana - 7. works so well with MS and Punch

Lambert - 6.5. carp ref didnt let hm get into the game

Barnard - 6.5. As above.

Great defensive and midfield performance, Lambo and Barny were bullied off the ball but this gave Lallana and Punch the room to destroy Leeds.

Bring on Swindon

I was lucky enough to be in the Matt le Tiss suite today, and had a great afternoon surrounded mainly by very quiet Leeds fans!!

Excellent performance, and Leeds barely had a sniff.

I think Beckford can't have touched the ball more than 10 times in the entire match, and he spent most of it diving around trying to con the ref.

The ref was shocking and the Gradel yellow card summed it up; he must have seen him raise his hands to have booked him. so how come only yellow?!

Rather strangely Rickiie Lambert got MOM in the Le Tiss suite; thought he had a very quiet game by his standards, my top 3 were Fonte, Puncheon and Jaidi in that order, with Morgan just behind.

And who on earth voted for Otsemebor as MOM in the poll by the way?!

:)

Edited by Jesus Reigned

We again made the opposition look very poor. Lallana and Puncheon played really well and the football was exciting stuff. Just to correct a poster earlier who said Barnard missed a sitter with a header in fact it was Lallana's poor attempt.

The ref in the first half especially was awful.IMO Puncheon was lucky to stay on as I think he took out McSheffery with a bad challenge. How Gradel stayed on is a mystery. i can only assume that the ref was trying to make the game flow.

I said during the game ,who needs PL football at £40 a pop when you get a game like that.

Stats from the BBC

Possession

Southampton 55% Leeds United 45%

Attempts on target

Southampton 5 Leeds United 1

Attempts off target

Southampton 8 Leeds United 5

Corners

Southampton 5 Leeds United 1

Fouls

Southampton 16 Leeds Utd 9

Says it all about the tw*t in the black (or was it green). How can a team who has almost all the chances, corners and most of the possession commit twice the number of fouls that the team doing most of the defending did. Stats don't lie. Shocking ref did his best to wreck it, but we were immense today throughout. In some ways today was even better than Huddersfield because we never gave them a sniff and 'won-ugly.' And even at 1-0 up I never felt we'd lose it - not something I feel very often. Jaidi & Fonte were superb, but they all contributed today. And watching Lallana & Puncheon is a delight, both such skilful, imaginative players. How the hell could Plymouth let him go off on loan and then sell him - rocks for brains down that way, I reckon.

Anyone else think it'd be funny if Norwich and Charlton occupied the auto spots at the end of the season? :-)

God I wish I had been there today, but in hindsight I'm bloody glad I wasn't! 1-0 over Leeds is a fantastic result, and with recent wins over Huddersfield and Norwich, we're fast becoming the best team in this League. Ironing out the slip ups this season away from home, such as Tranmere last week, is key for aspirations of promotion this or next season. Beat Swindon and there's no reason why the final part of this season couldn't leave Cortese speechless...

Chuffed with this result, and we reciprocated favours with Norwich today, Huddersfield's form is slipping.

''Today's 'performance' was absolutely criminal. We were embarrassed by a side who are everything that we're not. Powerful, creative, pacy and very impressive

we were absolutely toyed with today, it was laughable''

:D

Sack Pardew in the summer and all that work will be undone IMO.