• Hotel
    • Indoor Ski Slope
    • Monorail
    • Petting zoo
    • MASSIVE Wetherspoons
    • Argos
    • The original Ted Bates statue
    • Rollercoasters

Any move to the middle of nowhere with no decent pubs nearby would be a load of crap.

Coventry is one of the worst places to go and watch football, and the new Colchester ground is in the middle of nowhere. Days out at Reading are ruined by the location of the Madejski.

+1 to all of that - Colchester want shooting for the p1ss-poor access to their ground, nearest away boozer to Cov's ground is about 20-30 minutes walk away.

On the recent 'expand the Kingsland' thread, didn't somebody point out that the additional 8000 seats would cost over £3k each (i.e. upwards of £24m for a 40k seater stadium. How much would it cost to expand even further, to 50k say? As this wasn't in the original plans, surely this would cost even more than £3k per seat.

If 50K capacity or more is the ambition, might it not actually be cheaper to start from scratch rather than expand?

It would be cheaper, as I said earlier, if they decide to build a new stadium, it won't be to increase the capacity... although it will probably be around 40,000 I reckon.

It will be to build a self-sufficient stadium which includes hotels, offices and leisure facilities which will cover the running costs of the football stadium.

People keep harping on about the capacity... but St Marys has minimal potential revenue streams, if they are here for the long haul, then it would be in their best interests to build a new 'complex' .

It would be cheaper, as I said earlier, if they decide to build a new stadium, it won't be to increase the capacity... although it will probably be around 40,000 I reckon.

It will be to build a self-sufficient stadium which includes hotels, offices and leisure facilities which will cover the running costs of the football stadium.

People keep harping on about the capacity... but St Marys has minimal potential revenue streams, if they are here for the long haul, then it would be in their best interests to build a new 'complex' .

Why dont you pipe down and go to bed you ****ing ben sherman shirted mong.

For those questioning it, it is clear Liebherr and Cortesse have ambitions of a top half Premiership side if not better...

Spurs, Villa and Everton could and will relatively soon all, have larger stadiums.

Then you have Newcastle with 52k likely back in the Premiership soon and Sunderland with a 49k ground both possibly expanded soon for the World Cup.

Hillsborough is being expanded over 40k. Forest plan a 50k stadium. Plymouth, Bristol City and MK Dons all over 45k. Elland Road will be expanded for the World Cup also. Plus there are a few others.

To keep up Saints would need similar or better. Hence why they have unveiled plans for a training ground in the New Forest and it seems a possibility of a stadium relocation away from the restrictive riverside site of St Mary's.

I agree with Exit2. As much as I am grateful that we all have a club to support after admin, I would hate the thought of our soul ripped out. If ML and NC were planning on some out of town super stadium then for me next years 125 year celebration and special shirt would mean zilch. We are a City club rich with history and tradition. If we moved to say Eastleigh or hedge end then it wouldn't be Saints anymore in my opinion. We'd basically be a franchise. People might say i'm being far fetched, but that is honestly how I feel. If we had no other options, ie still at the Dell with a 15K capacity and had to move to the outskirts, then there's logic in that and would have to be a goer. We have a great home now, and yes we've been through a lot more bad times than good at St. Mary's, but that's part and parcel of football.

As far as redeveloping our current site, and maybe building on the surrounding waterfront and chapel area, then that could well be really exciting. I am not so sure why so many people are fascinated with the idea that a stadium in Stoneham would be such a great idea. WTF is there? Parkway is near ish and the motorway. What else? Colchester's new ground is right next to the main drag, and with a gate of 8,000 it still took ages to get out. I hate what's happened to hampshire with the cricket ground playing in a souless middle of nowhere venue, with the latest fashion accesory a "super hotel ffs". I predict county cricket to implode soon, with silly money being thrown at something that would barely be used for the majority of the year. Who's to say a massive out of town complex would be a financial success anyway?

We have no debt at St marys, and for 30 Million it was a bargain, and there's no reason why we can't get back to the premiership and have a very healthy future. As far as im concerned you can stick your complex/Frankie and Benny's/pizza hut/hotels/JJB up your arse :D

As it's also been pointed out, maybe we should wait and see what NC has to say on the matter.

maybe he wants to build a 50k stadium near locks heath and charge pompey rent for a ground share..

I wondered how long it would take for someone to pick-up on this. I think if there's a possibility of a larger more modern stadium on the M27 east of the City, there is every chance a ground share would be given serious, serious thought by both organisations. I would hate it to be at Locks Heath though - don't want a throng of dirty smelly Skates near our residence thankyou - it's bad enough them living just a few miles away.

Nicola Cortese was saying on the TV today that we are possibly looking at moving away from St Mary's to a bigger stadium.

Blimey I almost fell off my chair, I love the plans they have for us and I sure am going to enjoy this journey.

My question is where?

And do we turn St Mary's into the training ground?

May i be the first to say - WHAT THE F*CK???

My reaction is f****** hell..! Surely you're joking..? Link..? :smt119

heres some stuff i posted a while back

This.

smsr.jpg

Then build a shiny new train station to service the stadium and revamped waterfront, Mr Liebherr can buy up the warehouses behind the Chapel to build some nice big hotel, apartments, etc. to make a few bob.

Simples.

Nicola Cortese was saying on the TV today that we are possibly looking at moving away from St Mary's to a bigger stadium.

Blimey I almost fell off my chair, I love the plans they have for us and I sure am going to enjoy this journey.

My question is where?

Cortese is no mug

I expect he has sussed that Stoneham, with it's easy Road, Rail and Air access, WAS the best place to have the Saints Stadium after all

Simples:D:rolleyes::)

I agree with Exit2. As much as I am grateful that we all have a club to support after admin, I would hate the thought of our soul ripped out. If ML and NC were planning on some out of town super stadium then for me next years 125 year celebration and special shirt would mean zilch. We are a City club rich with history and tradition. If we moved to say Eastleigh or hedge end then it wouldn't be Saints anymore in my opinion. We'd basically be a franchise. People might say i'm being far fetched, but that is honestly how I feel. If we had no other options, ie still at the Dell with a 15K capacity and had to move to the outskirts, then there's logic in that and would have to be a goer. We have a great home now, and yes we've been through a lot more bad times than good at St. Mary's, but that's part and parcel of football.

As far as redeveloping our current site, and maybe building on the surrounding waterfront and chapel area, then that could well be really exciting. I am not so sure why so many people are fascinated with the idea that a stadium in Stoneham would be such a great idea. WTF is there? Parkway is near ish and the motorway. What else? Colchester's new ground is right next to the main drag, and with a gate of 8,000 it still took ages to get out. I hate what's happened to hampshire with the cricket ground playing in a souless middle of nowhere venue, with the latest fashion accesory a "super hotel ffs". I predict county cricket to implode soon, with silly money being thrown at something that would barely be used for the majority of the year. Who's to say a massive out of town complex would be a financial success anyway?

We have no debt at St marys, and for 30 Million it was a bargain, and there's no reason why we can't get back to the premiership and have a very healthy future. As far as im concerned you can stick your complex/Frankie and Benny's/pizza hut/hotels/JJB up your arse :D

As it's also been pointed out, maybe we should wait and see what NC has to say on the matter.

trouble is though, if we dont move with the times we will get left behind, sms on its own will not generate enough revenue, the capacity can be increased, just, but would be more problems with access etc. If it were to be at somewhere like stoneham, its not THAT remote a place.

Can we put to bed the myth that Saints sold out 'every game in the Prem'? The above clearly shows we 'lost' 1800 fans somewhere between mid-table in the Prem and the year we went down - no schitt Sherlock? - people will only watch a 'winning team' and where's the guarantee of that?

True, but on the other hand do you know what Saints budgeted for before they moved ? I heard they reckoned on crowds of a third around 18k, a third on 24/5k and the top teams 30k+. The effect of a new ground resulted in much better figures and I could see a similar impact of an even better ground. Lower ticket prices on the German model would also help.

My own feeling is that the whole waterfront could benefit from regeneration (and not blocked off by masses of private flats) and an improved stadium could be part of that.

True, but on the other hand do you know what Saints budgeted for before they moved ? I heard they reckoned on crowds of a third around 18k, a third on 24/5k and the top teams 30k+. The effect of a new ground resulted in much better figures and I could see a similar impact of an even better ground. Lower ticket prices on the German model would also help.

My own feeling is that the whole waterfront could benefit from regeneration (and not blocked off by masses of private flats) and an improved stadium could be part of that.

Now Rupert Lowe said something about this.

Wasn't it something like 22 K every home match and getting knocked out of the cup in the 3rd round?

The ambition shown in the past 6 months makes me think what would have happened if we had got a proper visonary busines people in '97, instaed of Lowe and his reverse takeover.

We had been a top flight side for a generation, have a massive catchment area, and we're basically starting from scratch it terms of a ground. I like the location of SMS and it's quite a tidy stadium, but it is the bare minimum you would expect.

32,000 was not big enough for us at the time, and the fact that even in League 1, there have been times it hasn't been big enough even now speaks volumes.It was in my opinion typical of Lowe, no vision, no pushing the boat out to take us to the next level, just a steady, cautious approach, that ended up in tears anyway.

Had ML taken over in '97 the history of the past 13 years, would be a lot lot different.

The ambition shown in the past 6 months makes me think what would have happened if we had got a proper visonary busines people in '97, instaed of Lowe and his reverse takeover.

We had been a top flight side for a generation, have a massive catchment area, and we're basically starting from scratch it terms of a ground. I like the location of SMS and it's quite a tidy stadium, but it is the bare minimum you would expect.

32,000 was not big enough for us at the time, and the fact that even in League 1, there have been times it hasn't been big enough even now speaks volumes.It was in my opinion typical of Lowe, no vision, no pushing the boat out to take us to the next level, just a steady, cautious approach, that ended up in tears anyway.

Had ML taken over in '97 the history of the past 13 years, would be a lot lot different.

of course it would be different..he is a multi billionaire..

for the cost and what we needed at the time..SMS was fantastic..and still is

however, if the owners feel that we could do better then why not I say..

personally, I cant see them moving and will maybe extend SMS and do up the surrounding areas..but if they choose to move, then I am with them all the way (provided it is no poxy ground share or anything) as moving would mean something bigger and better than SMS

can we resurrect HelpMeRhonda's designs?

we can forward them onto Cortese

it's the only way forward.

lol

when people say "but we wont sell out playing blackburn at home"...well they are probably right..but I think it is a safe bet that our average attendance over a whole season would be higher than it could ever be as SMS as it is now...and that is probably what money men will look at...

people worried about not selling at home to the likes of wigan are more worried that other fans might say we dont fill the ground..

lol

when people say "but we wont sell out playing blackburn at home"...well they are probably right..but I think it is a safe bet that our average attendance over a whole season would be higher than it could ever be as SMS as it is now...and that is probably what money men will look at...

people worried about not selling at home to the likes of wigan are more worried that other fans might say we dont fill the ground..

the support is here, if we are winning games most weeks we will sell out, or come close to selling out.

As has been shown in L1 this season....

the MK Dons JPT game...highest ever semi final attendance.

I think cortese recognises that the support is here. I've always imagined a stadium extension could be on the cards (esp. after the plans for staplewood) - not too sure how I'd like a re-location though, seems a bit radical when there is alot that can be done with the current site.

I am very disappointed that only 29 posters have voted for the petting zoo so far.

Come on people..... Do it for the kids!

+1

It was a difficult choice with the availability of rollercoasters as an option too.

However, the prospect of a petting zoo complete with RED (dye those ****ers) and white Zebras is the most exiting thing I have ever had in my mind. Ever.

I'm afraid Cortese is showing his lack of knowledge or understanding of football

Does he really think Saints fans would prefer an out of town development with 40,000+ seats?

let's just wait and see what he's actually said before we start saying things like that.

it was like a 5 second snippet on solent, i didn't' hear it - and not many others did.

Perhaps having it played out in context today will put a better picture to it.

the support is here, if we are winning games most weeks we will sell out, or come close to selling out.

As has been shown in L1 this season....

the MK Dons JPT game...highest ever semi final attendance.

I think cortese recognises that the support is here. I've always imagined a stadium extension could be on the cards (esp. after the plans for staplewood) - not too sure how I'd like a re-location though, seems a bit radical when there is alot that can be done with the current site.

yep

the only reason they would move is if they wanted other business vebtures to be tied into the ground..which is very limited at SMS...

imo, cant see them moving..maybe throw another tier on the kingsland and make it 38-40k that way...

yep

the only reason they would move is if they wanted other business vebtures to be tied into the ground..which is very limited at SMS...

imo, cant see them moving..maybe throw another tier on the kingsland and make it 38-40k that way...

they can easily push the capacity up to 45k (according to minimee's designs on this thread)

and im sure a little bit of Markus's cash can buy up the industrial and salt work areas ;)

I'm afraid Cortese is showing his lack of knowledge or understanding of football

Does he really think Saints fans would prefer an out of town development with 40,000+ seats?

why not....eastleigh area is hardly out of town is it...lol (assuming it would be around here)

as usual, fans will moan, stomp their feet and stop the club making a decision for the greater good

they can easily push the capacity up to 45k (according to minimee's designs on this thread)

and im sure a little bit of Markus's cash can buy up the industrial and salt work areas ;)

trouble is, no matter what you do to the SMS site..it is a complete sh1t hole of an area and would attract less business away from football than a ground say where stoneham was/would have been

im only saying that as that would be the only reason for a move

Edited by Thedelldays

My question is where?

Perhaps it was a misunderstanding and he is moving to a bigger stadium......... in Milan?

IF there is plenty of spare dosh rattling around in the bank then perhaps it would be better spent on the players? There is nothing wrong with St Marys and we are not going to need more capacity until we get two promotions.

agree..but I dont think the intent to build a new ground (if there even is) right now..we would have to be nicely sat in the prem for it to be considered IMO

but it seems good that they are looking at all avenues to make us bigger/better

agree..but I dont think the intent to build a new ground (if there even is) right now..we would have to be nicely sat in the prem for it to be considered IMO

but it seems good that they are looking at all avenues to make us bigger/better

Yep I agree, but it seems an odd thing to come up with at this stage. Be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Guest flickjax
We do NOT want any out of town stadium thats for sure. The current SMS land i suspect does not have planning permission for anything otther than commerical stuff.

Look how crap the rose bowl is because its in the middle of nowhere.

Rose bowl is great

It's a bizarre suggestion and hopefully not one based on the turn out for the JPT final where numbers have been bouyed by ST holders taking the chance to give members of their family a day out who would never normally contemplate or probably be able to afford a ticket on a regular basis.

I like to try and read and understand the great philosophers in life such as Descartes, Sartre, Camus etc and it appears just recently so has Cortese whose philosophy appears to be 'I don't think, therefore I am not'.

If there is any mileage in this suggestion then I would like to know how it will be funded as I doubt Mr Liebherr will risk his own millions which means more collateralised debt no doubt. We have a great stadium but appear to have learned nothing from building it and someone needs to stand up to Mr Cortese and give him a history lesson.

IF there are plans for a new stadium at, lets say, the stoneham site, then St Marys with a roof on would make one heck of a concert arena / exhibition centre and the revenue raised from its use could help fund the new stadia ? just a thought !