• MASSIVE Wetherspoons
    • Argos
    • The original Ted Bates statue
    • Rollercoasters

Sounds like the Rose Bowl then.

ahhhh

did not realise that had a hotel etc...

would be silly to have another ground so close by with the same facilities

to be honest..unless they wanted a snazzy unique style BIGGER stadium..it would be better if they extended SMS

On the recent 'expand the Kingsland' thread, didn't somebody point out that the additional 8000 seats would cost over £3k each (i.e. upwards of £24m for a 40k seater stadium. How much would it cost to expand even further, to 50k say? As this wasn't in the original plans, surely this would cost even more than £3k per seat.

If 50K capacity of more is the ambition, might it not actually be cheaper to start from scratch rather than expand?

Would it be cheaper then to just demolish St Marys and build on the same land? :confused:

I'm sure Liebherr can do a deal with his family for a wrecking ball...

The problem as I see it would be finding a site. We're not in the North where there's acres of derelict industrial land and local councils welcome new development.

Wherever they choose, the local nimbys will come out of the woodwork and it could take years.

At approx £1000 per seat, I would have thought expansion would be the better option.

ahhhh

did not realise that had a hotel etc...

would be silly to have another ground so close by with the same facilities

to be honest..unless they wanted a snazzy unique style BIGGER stadium..it would be better if they extended SMS

I don't know if the hotel is as yet finished. It's a necessity for test cricket apparently.We haven't finished our hotel yet but we still have our test match in 2011 because the ECB have allowed us a bit of leeway.

Would it be cheaper then to just demolish St Marys and build on the same land? :confused:

I'm sure Liebherr can do a deal with his family for a wrecking ball...

Possibly, but could a stadium be demolished and a new one built in a single summer break?

If (for example), a part of the docks, or some other central land was avaliable for development... and the board have the ambition, then why not I say.

Ok, you've lost me now, do explain....

And, as far as i'm concerned, to be mooting the idea of leaving a UEFA 4 Star standard stadium while we are at third teir level is rediculous.

OK 1) Not agreeing that a move is a good idea. It's a GUESS, an opinion, a trying to work out why.

2) Working out the logic only

Club succeeds. Different vibe to the club from the Lowe days when we moved from The Dell. Fan base is POTENTIALLY bigger than 30ish thousand.

The club owns 51 acres of land. Theoretically as the UK comes out of recession in 2 or 3 years demand for new housing & commercial property will return.

Jackson's Farm is unlikely to get planning permission NOW but could have a very significant value for mixed use development.

St Mary's area including the Waterfront & the Ind Estate WOULD have a very substantial redevelopment potential at the right time in the "Economic Cycle".

Southampton still lacks a quality waterside "leisure & entertainment" venue.

So NOT ADVOCATING anything but a new 50,000 stadium in JF drives the chain of events.

Only ONE thing missing. It would need a well liked billionaire who has a 5 year plan and likes the City and a guy who thrives on doing deals to make it happen.

Where would we find those?

HTH

Nicola Cortese was saying on the TV today that we are possibly looking at moving away from St Mary's to a bigger stadium.

Blimey I almost fell off my chair, I love the plans they have for us and I sure am going to enjoy this journey.

My question is where?

And do we turn St Mary's into the training ground?

I actually heard this rumour about a month ago from someone who was in a meeting where it was discussed

not getting too carried away with this until hear the rest of it. Maybe they have looked into expanding sms but cant due to access etc. its hard enough getting in and out of sms with 30,000 odd. Plus, the whole bit they said before about us being self sufficient wont happen at sms maybe new site would have mulitple commercial aspects. Interesting and exciting times ahead i hope

I recall at the time that Liebherr arrived on the scene for the takeover, I posted they were probably more interested in turning the Stadium into Liebherr facilities, seeing it's proximity to the River. I'm flabbergasted if such were to be in their future plans. What does worry me is if the club is considering a bigger stadium as part of a ground sharing project with, hmmmm, reborn Skates and, maybe, also Cherries.

Would rather spend that money on buying some big name players and get back into the PL to be honest.

We are in division 3. Will most likely still be here this time next year. Then we will go up to CCC. Again the team will need another bosst of players to get it chasing promotion. Then if/when we get promoted let's see how we do. If we are going to be another club who goes up then comes back down the following season then there is no point having a new 50k stadium. We will sell out in the PL but then the following season will see it half empty.

Right now the focus should be on the team and the players/manager/staff. Getting the team up the tables should have all energy put into it.

We did this whole "concentrate on non-football" thing before. It did not turn out so well!

Have to learn to walk before you can run.

Would rather spend that money on buying some big name players and get back into the PL to be honest.

We are in division 3. Will most likely still be here this time next year. Then we will go up to CCC. Again the team will need another bosst of players to get it chasing promotion. Then if/when we get promoted let's see how we do. If we are going to be another club who goes up then comes back down the following season then there is no point having a new 50k stadium. We will sell out in the PL but then the following season will see it half empty.

Right now the focus should be on the team and the players/manager/staff. Getting the team up the tables should have all energy put into it.

We did this whole "concentrate on non-football" thing before. It did not turn out so well!

I doubt he was thinking about building it now....but it would be silly to not explore all avenues of making the club better for the future..

IF they feel that in at the end of the "5 year plan" and we are set up in the prem then they may feel that a bigger, better stadium is needed

I think it's Pardew and the player's job to concentrate on the football side. Cortese is looking at the bigger picture and planning 5, 10, maybe 15 years down the road. This IMO is bloody good news because it means that the current ownership are in for the long haul.

Come on Marco - dont think about negatives, be positive and support the club and all its decisions.

NC will only make decisions in the best interest of the club – he has said before that it’s “his baby”

Jump on the train to fun times….tickets are free

Choo choo

choo-choostool.jpg

I doubt he was thinking about building it now....but it would be silly to not explore all avenues of making the club better for the future..

IF they feel that in at the end of the "5 year plan" and we are set up in the prem then they may feel that a bigger, better stadium is needed

5 years is a longtime and anything can happen in football.

If after these 5 years we are in the PL and looking ok then sure they should think about it. But if we are struggling to stay in the league and building the stadium means no funds for players then it should be rejected.

Ambition is great. But i don't think it would change much and for that could be a waste of cash. If it's cash we have not borrowed then who gives a ****? :)

I hope so, I really like them!

What's to not like about them after all, a throwback to a golden age where my Grandad spent all of his working life.A reminder to us all that once upon a time you spent 45 or 50 years working in the same place every day and not many complained about it,now we all like a bit of a moan if our tea's too hot or too cold or if the supermarket is out of our favourite bikkies.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Jump on the train to fun times….tickets are free

Choo choo

choo-choostool.jpg

I just phoned the ticket office and asked for a one way ticket to fun times but I was told they aren't available yet, however the helpful young lady did confirm that the tickets will be free, as you rightly pointed out.

Perhaps the recent debacle with Wembley tickets is what has prompted this development.....

NC: Markus, we can't get any more tickets for Wembley. There will be 20,000 empty seats.

ML: Those ****s! Ok, I will build a stadium that is bigger and better than Wembley.

We can host all the games that Wembley currently hosts, including the JPT.

NC: But what about the world cup in 2018?

ML: Get Blatter on the phone. I'll tell that **** where the world cup will be played.

Jonathan Fulthorpe anyone?

Go dig out some archives. The maths works as well, especially at this point in the cycle.

All the snippets have been talked about on here, even some designs existed as I recall. Just needed the politics.

How's things going, we missed you, but we know you're very busy:-)

I'd hate the thought of moving ground ffs. We have a ground in the part of our City we started out at. Imagine a souless out of town ground off the motorway, like Bolton's and Coventry's. This has to be a joke.

I just have this feeling that this is exactly what Mr C has in mind. I don't like the idea at all.