Illingsworth wades in

Block 5

As much as Illingsworth is a c*ck, he has got a point about the United vs Villa game. Don't see why we should have over 20,000 seats empty when there were barely any empty seats in the house for the cup final the other week. Surely it makes more sense for Wembley to use a similar (if not the same) seating system for the JPT final as they did for the Utd vs Villa game? They'd make more money from tickets, merchandising, refreshments etc. only at the cost of a few more policemen.

As much as Illingsworth is a c*ck, he has got a point about the United vs Villa game. Don't see why we should have over 20,000 seats empty when there were barely any empty seats in the house for the cup final the other week. Surely it makes more sense for Wembley to use a similar (if not the same) seating system for the JPT final as they did for the Utd vs Villa game? They'd make more money from tickets, merchandising, refreshments etc. only at the cost of a few more policemen.

It wasnt a valid statement from Nick, it was a silly one.

Man Utd v Villa was a sellout because they both sold out their allocations... as would have our game been if Carlisle had sold out theirs.

They did use an identical seating system... half and half.

Man Utd v Villa was a sellout because they both sold out their allocations... as would have our game been if Carlisle had sold out theirs.

Well, if Carlisle are not going to sell their allocation, why not give some of it to us? It makes sense, Wembley are selling their tickets block by block so there would be no need for anyone to be moved and Saints fans could get their tickets if they didn't already have them.

Well I have had a reply from the FL... see below. segregation is their main reason. How many seats do they want to segregate Saints and Carlisle???

Geez for the heated south Coast derby we had a bit of netting... not 9,000 seats!!!

look what happened when Luton were not allowed more tickets and they tried to segregate Luton and Scunny fans...

Up, Up and Away!

Many thanks for your email.

We are delighted that Southampton will be taking the largest following that any club has ever taken to the new Wembley Stadium for a Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final.

The safety of spectators is of paramount importance to The Football League, Wembley Stadium, the Metropolitan Police and the local safety authorities. With this in mind, all Wembley Finals require the implementation of a segregation plan, which is based on the ticket allocations requested by both clubs. These plans were presented and agreed by the finalist clubs seven weeks before the match. The plans ensure that as many fans as possible from each of the participating clubs will have the opportunity to purchase a ticket and to enjoy the match in a safe environment.

For this particular match the actual saleable capacity of Wembley Stadium is approximately 81,000 after taking into account unavailable seats such as media seats the Royal Box and segregation. The Football League have been allocated approximately 72,000 of these tickets which, once contractual obligations have been honoured, have been passed directly on to the two participating clubs (approx 44,500 to Southampton and 24,500 to Carlisle). The 9,000 remaining tickets are Wembley Stadium tickets available to Club Wembley members and box holders.

At this present time Southampton have sold out of their allocation and Carlisle United have sold approximately 20,000 tickets. In this particular instance, the unsold tickets are in areas of the ground that are located directly above Carlisle United fans and cannot, therefore, be sold to Southampton supporters for reasons of crowd safety.

We can understand your frustrations in that some supporters are unable to purchase tickets but would like to assure you that every effort has been taken by all parties to maximise the number of tickets available to each club.

Kind regards

Customer Services Manager

The Football League Limited

Edward VII Quay | Navigation Way | Preston | PR2 2YF.

T 0844 826 9220

Well done Hemel for getting a response but what an absolutely pathetic reply. They made it sound like a couple of dozen people will be disappointed at missing out.

I can only assume the FA/Wembley are so flushed with money they can afford to leave thousands of seats empty.

What would it take to create a bit of netting and a line of stewards to divide the 2 warring factions!

Nick is right end of - Also Wembley had a total lack of forsight in the very beginning, they should numerous scenarios planned for this very type of situation FFS

Come on how ridiculous is it that you have a product for sale and an abundance of it, you also have a glut of customers and yet you can make the sale 'cause you couldn't plan a p!ss-up in a brewery??

I have e-mailed the CEO of Johnstone paints. I pointed out that having empty seats on an occasion that will be watched nationwide would not do their branding that good if there are lots of empty seats....also of course their brand would be more popular in the south of England

...because when the marketing dept of Johnstone's Paints decided to sponsor a cup competition contested between L1 and 2 clubs they were expecting Wembley sell outs every year.

In fact, this year's will probably be the highest Final attendance they've had in the competition since they starting sponsoring it.

It will be broadcast nationwide, but I doubt it will be "watched" by many people outside (geographically or mentally) of Hampshire and Cumbria.

Do you actually know Nick or do you just think he's a **** without ever meeting him.

Do you actually know Nick or do you just think he's a **** without ever meeting him.

Sorry Nick. Can't say i've ever met the guy, but he seems to think that his own opinion matches that of all Saints fans out there. Plus the fact that he's still releasing statements as a member of the Saints Trust (which doesn't even exist anymore) suggests that he's having a hard time getting off his high horse and realising that he's not above other saints fans.

How do you equate Saints allocation of 44,500 and Carlisle allocation of 24,500 as being half and half?

How do you equate Saints allocation of 44,500 and Carlisle allocation of 24,500 as being half and half?

Oh dear, I didn't think I would need to explain this, but for the special people I will.

Carlisle where allocated 44,500 tickets, they decided to take 24,500 of them as they knew they wouldn't be able to sell them all.

If they had sold their 24,500.... do you think they wouldn't be able to have any more tickets?

If Carlisle could sell 44,500 then they would also be allowed that allocation...

In summary... That is how I see the allocation as half and half. For some stupid reason Wembley wasn't built for segregation which could be moved on demand... shame.

If it was Saints v Leeds then it would have been a 90,000 sellout, with corporates taking the rest.

Oh dear, I didn't think I would need to explain this, but for the special people I will.

Carlisle where allocated 44,500 tickets, they decided to take 24,500 of them as they knew they wouldn't be able to sell them all.

If they had sold their 24,500.... do you think they wouldn't be able to have any more tickets?

If Carlisle could sell 44,500 then they would also be allowed that allocation...

In summary... That is how I see the allocation as half and half. For some stupid reason Wembley wasn't built for segregation which could be moved on demand... shame.

If it was Saints v Leeds then it would have been a 90,000 sellout, with corporates taking the rest.

Quite clearly this is not the case. See the mail below which included a reply to an email. The effective number of tickets available was 81k. 7 weeks ago Saints requested 44.5k and Carlisle requested 24.5k. It is actually quite clear to me that Saints have been surprised by the number of tickets they could have sold. It would seem if they had asked for 50k 7 weeks ago they might have been allocated 50k, but hindisght is a wonderful thing. Once allocated plans are put in place and thats where the inflexibility lies.

It seems then that there are going to be 12k empty seats that could have been sold if the 2 clubs had requested more. If the final had been against Leeds it is clear that ironically we would have received less tickets, 40.5k max as far as I can see.

And to those who speculate why can't Wembley just add some segregation netting read the response again, the issue is that the empty seats are directly ABOVE the Carlisle supporters. Thats the issue, in other words they are concerned that "missiles" can be dropped on the people below, no way to prevent this with the stadium design as is, it seems it is not a problem with the concourses in general but due to the various levels.

It is a shame that there will be a large number of empty seats but in my view the reasons are to some extent understandable.

I really don't get this arguement of fans above lobbing items at the fans below... I'm sure there must be quite a few examples of ground with away fans above/below home fans? Newcastle, Man Utd & Arsenal I believe for starters. This is Saints vs Carlisle ffs, hardly West Ham vs Millwall. Just put a few empty rows and extra stewards in.

Illingsworth can come and suck my ****ing flacid co-c-k... he thinks he speaks for me??

Fu c k off Nickie boy, .. You always was a f-king glory seeker, fu-k-ing self puplicist.

There was near on 33,000 of us there today.... and you could count on the fingers of one hand those which give you credence. F-OFF and just support our club..

Illingsworth can come and suck my ****ing flacid co-c-k... he thinks he speaks for me??

Fu c k off Nickie boy, .. You always was a f-king glory seeker, fu-k-ing self puplicist.

There was near on 33,000 of us there today.... and you could count on the fingers of one hand those which give you credence. F-OFF and just support our club..

Not sure he does think that he speaks for you. I think after running a fanzine/website or whatever for 20+ years, that journalists seek him out as he has put his head above the parapet for such a long time. May not agree with all he says, but I think he was just trying to get more tickets for Saints fans. Not sure if this normally leads to offers to suck c-cks, but I imagine there are some people on the request for spare Wembley tickets thread who may be that desperate.

Not sure he does think that he speaks for you. I think after running a fanzine/website or whatever for 20+ years, that journalists seek him out as he has put his head above the parapet for such a long time. May not agree with all he says, but I think he was just trying to get more tickets for Saints fans. Not sure if this normally leads to offers to suck c-cks, but I imagine there are some people on the request for spare Wembley tickets thread who may be that desperate.

He sticks his head 'above the parapet' for no other reason than to suit himself. For some ****ing reason the 'old' regime at SMS gave him a wee bit of air-time and now the geez thinks he is some kind of Saviour? Well guess what???!!!

Nickie Boyo... take you seat in the stands and SHUT THE F*CK UP. You are no longer needed - YOU WERE NEVER NEEDED.

The Ugly Inside was a fantastic fanzine. Sorry but no other came near it... Classic!!

As long as a Saints fan is fighting the corner for the good of other Saints fans I do not care, even if they are partly doing it for them self. Overall I do not think he is saying anything that other Saints fans do not think on this story!!

Bang out of order child76.

Only in this country would such a scenario happen-no flexability whatsover and if someone, be it Ilingsworth or anyone else are prepapred to get off their backsides and highlight this absurd situation then good on them.

As i said previously, the "problem" is easy to overcome-leave the first few rows empty and hire a few stewards up there.

He sticks his head 'above the parapet' for no other reason than to suit himself. For some ****ing reason the 'old' regime at SMS gave him a wee bit of air-time and now the geez thinks he is some kind of Saviour? Well guess what???!!!

Nickie Boyo... take you seat in the stands and SHUT THE F*CK UP. You are no longer needed - YOU WERE NEVER NEEDED.

WTF are you on about?

I have met Nick a couple of times and he is nothing like what you seem to think he is. Still, easy to have a pop at someone on a forum. Go team tough guys!

Bang out of order child76.

Only in this country would such a scenario happen-no flexability whatsover and if someone, be it Ilingsworth or anyone else are prepapred to get off their backsides and highlight this absurd situation then good on them.

As i said previously, the "problem" is easy to overcome-leave the first few rows empty and hire a few stewards up there.

Well that to me is the solution,!!

Especially when Nicola Cortese on Radio Solent last night, offered the FL to bring our own security and pay for SFC stewards to police the 'extra empty' section...

As I said before, how many seats do they need to separate Saints and Carlise???

At the Skates game we had a bit of netting to keep the two hated rivals apart.

At Wembley for a 'party' they need 9,000 seats to separate the two waring armies of Saints and Carlise....

Are the people that run the FL and Wembley total inept knobs or what???

Give this project to any Saint or Carlise fan, and they would have had it sorted in 10 mins ...and a full Wembley!!!

ps

fair play to NI, who has got off his ar5e...to try and do something about it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8562283.stm

It looks like all our ticketing problems could soon be over now that Mr Illingsworth is involved.

No doubt Lord Mawhinney and the people who run Wembley are about to have a rethink.

Nice seeing Nick commenting on issues that are well within his comfortzone at last. Well done Nick I say, but isn't the Saints Trust now irrelevant and dead?

Especially when Nicola Cortese on Radio Solent last night, offered the FL to bring our own security and pay for SFC stewards to police the 'extra empty' section...

Cortese is developing into something of a legend in my opinion. New stadium, ambition, nice idea for a one of strip next season to celebrate our long history and now apearing to get behind the fans in our hour of ticket need.

Me like. :)

Think that child may have been allowed a few alcopops last night on the back of our win to come on here at 11pm requesting another male saint suck him off.

I do not interpet NI's statements in the press as speaking for me, why should I ? I have my own voice so therefore can speak for myself, however, I am glad he raises awareness of issues through press association and do not believe he should be subject to personal attacks or lewd suggestion because of it.