The Day the Music Died

dubai_phil

Bye bye Miss American Pie etc etc.

So, was this the weekend that truly saw the cows come home to roost?

TSW match day thread had about one post a minute, SMS has the lowest ever crowd.

Now, on Monday morning we have only 50 people on line, and even the Asturius Sports thread has simply become a vehicle for Sundance to abuse a couple of posters and vice versa.

Apathy seems to rule. The "not putting any money in Lowe's pockets, corners closing, total football, paying 26 quid to watch reserve team football and paying a fiver to use a web forum" brigade have finally made their point.

We all know the answers, trouble is we have no real idea what the questions should be.

The forum has died, not simply because of the subscription fee, but also because of the fear of losing your fiver IF you post that spark that upsets someone and you get infracted or banned.

The club is extremely close to dying, 14,000 fans, a team that seems not able to follow the simplest of positional instructions, and a squad which is now stretched so thin at the back that our scouts are parked outside Mothercare in case they spot a spare Centre Half stepping out of his push-chair for the first time and we can get him into a shirt for Tuesday.

BWP & DMG did not do the business and the coach is disappointed. Doh, I think we could have told you that JP. Surman didn't shine in CM role, sorry pal, we spotted that one last season. The magical return of SJ as our experienced saviour up front turned out to be as up to the pace of CCC football as I would have been approaching my 50th and on my 20 fags a day.

We're screwed, the answer is not coming in to rescue the club in the form of a zillionaire - they are all too busy buying Banks for 50 pence that have assets of billions they can sell at the car boot for a million. The investors with money are making more money stripping assets faster than a PL club can strip us of our best youngsters, they ain't going to be paying Rupe's et al 8mil quid for the privilege of losing even more money.

When you hit rock bottom, you think it cannot possibly get worse.

It will, but then it seems like even TSW won't be around long enough to see it.

Time to start turning this sh*t around people.

Admin - time to realise you got the concept right but the forum isn't going to fly in this format, you're taking longer to add our "valuable features" than our youngsters are taking to adapt to the CCC. Time for you to open the forum up to all again, but restrict access to the new features to paid ups only and for us paid up members - give us a 50% discount next year WHEN you are back up and running properly and the concept has been proven to work and the value add can be shown.If you need donations to help, then ask.

For the Club - Rupert/Mike/Andrew - you are in the sh*t. It may not last until Christmas. Your hands are tied, so it is time to drastic action.

Some simple ideas of which I am sure we have MANY others

1) Any season ticket holder adult can bring up to 3 kids for a quid, they can apply for a temporary seat swap in their area (subject to availability) for each game to allow the kids to sit with the grown ups.

2) Friends for a Fiver - any season ticket holder can bring a student for a fiver (same deal on seating)

3) Mates for a Tenner - any season ticket holder can bring a friend for a tenner.

All new tickets sold only to ST holders and all new buyers must complete the membership application on-line so we can bombard them with junk mail marketing.

Cup Games - all ST holders for a tenner.

With the current waves of apathy amongst the fan base you MIGHT just get up to the 13,000 mark for the next home game IF you do this.

And finally, I know it's tough, but it is also time for you 3 to publicly state that until the club is financially stable, there will be 1) No Dividends and 2) You will draw no salary for your work at the club. Not easy I know as you are all "highly valued in the business world" but you HAVE to start the fight back to get even the few "ain't putting money back into Lowe's pockets" back to support this club. IF you succeed in stabilising the club through this recession then saving your investments will be benefit enough and Andrew can be granted an employee stock option. If you FAIL, then you will only be remembered in business by the blinkered few for taking money we couldn't afford and being the cause of our demise.

We're screwed, we need drastic actions

TSW match day thread had about one post a minute, SMS has the lowest ever crowd.

Now, on Monday morning we have only 50 people on line, and even the Asturius Sports thread has simply become a vehicle for Sundance to abuse a couple of posters and vice versa.

Apathy seems to rule. The "not putting any money in Lowe's pockets, corners closing, total football, paying 26 quid to watch reserve team football and paying a fiver to use a web forum" brigade have finally made their point.

We all know the answers, trouble is we have no real idea what the questions should be.

The forum has died, not simply because of the subscription fee, but also because of the fear of losing your fiver IF you post that spark that upsets someone and you get infracted or banned.

The club is extremely close to dying, 14,000 fans, a team that seems not able to follow the simplest of positional instructions, and a squad which is now stretched so thin at the back that our scouts are parked outside Mothercare in case they spot a spare Centre Half stepping out of his push-chair for the first time and we can get him into a shirt for Tuesday.

BWP & DMG did not do the business and the coach is disappointed. Doh, I think we could have told you that JP. Surman didn't shine in CM role, sorry pal, we spotted that one last season. The magical return of SJ as our experienced saviour up front turned out to be as up to the pace of CCC football as I would have been approaching my 50th and on my 20 fags a day.

We're screwed, the answer is not coming in to rescue the club in the form of a zillionaire - they are all too busy buying Banks for 50 pence that have assets of billions they can sell at the car boot for a million. The investors with money are making more money stripping assets faster than a PL club can strip us of our best youngsters, they ain't going to be paying Rupe's et al 8mil quid for the privilege of losing even more money.

Admin - time to realise you got the concept right but the forum isn't going to fly in this format, you're taking longer to add our "valuable features" than our youngsters are taking to adapt to the CCC. Time for you to open the forum up to all again, but restrict access to the new features to paid ups only and for us paid up members - give us a 50% discount next year WHEN you are back up and running properly and the concept has been proven to work and the value add can be shown.If you need donations to help, then ask.

For the Club - Rupert/Mike/Andrew - you are in the sh*t. It may not last until Christmas. Your hands are tied, so it is time to drastic action.

1) Any season ticket holder adult can bring up to 3 kids for a quid, they can apply for a temporary seat swap in their area (subject to availability) for each game to allow the kids to sit with the grown ups.

2) Friends for a Fiver - any season ticket holder can bring a student for a fiver (same deal on seating)

3) Mates for a Tenner - any season ticket holder can bring a friend for a tenner.

All new tickets sold only to ST holders and all new buyers must complete the membership application on-line so we can bombard them with junk mail marketing.

With the current waves of apathy amongst the fan base you MIGHT just get up to the 13,000 mark for the next home game IF you do this.

And finally, I know it's tough, but it is also time for you 3 to publicly state that until the club is financially stable, there will be 1) No Dividends and 2) You will draw no salary for your work at the club. Not easy I know as you are all "highly valued in the business world" but you HAVE to start the fight back to get even the few "ain't putting money back into Lowe's pockets" back to support this club. IF you succeed in stabilising the club through this recession then saving your investments will be benefit enough and Andrew can be granted an employee stock option. If you FAIL, then you will only be remembered in business by the blinkered few for taking money we couldn't afford and being the cause of our demise.

Can i have the abridged version? ;)

Great post Phil and agree with pretty much everything in your post. Trouble is, I think we've even sunk below that level and I think that the major shareholders need to cut their losses for 15-20p a share - they haven't got the clout to get the club out of the woods and even if we stay up in 21st position this season, it'll be groundhog day for next season as Lallana and Mills (if his debut is anything to go by) will be gone along probably with Kelvin and the academy will have to be significantly downsized. We don't need a billionaire, just a group that can stop the academy from being decimated, pay a decent manager decent wages and make modest investment in the first XI. Moreover, we need a group that understand what Saints fans want (we're not Chelsea, Man City, we want a team with spirit and one that competes), has charisma and can get bums on seats again. Personally, I'd be happy being a solvent CCC club pushing for the top 6 with gates around the 25k mark.

sad to see you resorting to such drivel Phil to be honest. We're doing as well as can be expected. If you don't like the forum sign up to one of the free ones, they talk about Music(if you can call 1980's punk that),Crisp,Biscuits

and very occasionally slag pompey off. It's not 14000 supporters it's 15000 as

near as dammit. Lowe,Wilde and Cowan are probably here for the foreseeable future so get over . A lot of people passed the last week-end glued to that ridiculous game of Golf, ffs that's just a pastime for idle rich bastards..It's not even a sport, I always apply the rule of thumb to "games" that pretend to be "sports". If you can do it smoking a fag,it's not a sport.Everybody's crowds are going down, at least our management have realised this and cut our stupidly astronomic player salary costs. We have always had home-grown players in our side. Right now they need our support and understanding, not some-one slagging them off every 30 secs.I'm sure a lot of our young men read the forum so just cut them some slack eh!!!

As well as Phil, there have been a couple of others who have made sensible suggestions as to how stadium numbers could be increased. I much prefer positive suggestions like this to the alternative ploy which is to deride and castigate those who choose to stay away for whatever reason and question their standing as fans. At least these suggestions go some way to addressing those who say that they cannot afford to go at current ticket prices.

The fact that Lowe and the Quisling have not had the sense to employ ideas like these to maximise revenue in dire circumstances suggests that either they lack imagination, or arrogantly assume that the fans are just turnstile fodder that will attend regardless of what is on offer and what it costs just because we are fans.

Well, it is becoming clear week by week that we are not going to be taken for granted in that way. The only way that might have any chance of success is if we are winning most of our home matches, which we are not. Unless they do something to address the situation, attendances will decline still further and administration will become a reality sooner rather than later.

Quite simply, it is not reasonable to have to pay a similar amount to watch Fizzy Pop teams instead of the cream of the Premiership. It is not reasonable to have to pay the same to watch teams that were in the Premiership recently, as those like Blackpool and Doncaster who have come up from nowhere. Neither is it reasonable to have to pay the same to watch a team largely constructed of youngsters, almost devoid of known names, who it was possible to watch plying their trade for free last season. If because of those reasons people are staying away, then who can blame them?

The ball is in your court, Rupert. Address these concerns now, or lose evrything when administration comes.

Edited by Wes Tender

Well I can see a lot of people for the following reasons:

1) You get shot down for being negative

2) You get shot down for being positive

3) People keep harking on about Lowe - for/against

I cant be bothered to post on a football related thread when it quickly descends into a doom monger Vs happy clappie thread. Its been the same for a good few weeks now.

I can honestly say TMS is more interesting than The Main Board.

sad to see you resorting to such drivel Phil to be honest. We're doing as well as can be expected. If you don't like the forum sign up to one of the free ones, they talk about Music(if you can call 1980's punk that),Crisp,Biscuits

near as dammit. Lowe,Wilde and Cowan are probably here for the foreseeable future so get over . A lot of people passed the last week-end glued to that ridiculous game of Golf, ffs that's just a pastime for idle rich bastards..It's not even a sport, I always apply the rule of thumb to "games" that pretend to be "sports". If you can do it smoking a fag,it's not a sport.Everybody's crowds are going down, at least our management have realised this and cut our stupidly astronomic player salary costs. We have always had home-grown players in our side. Right now they need our support and understanding, not some-one slagging them off every 30 secs.I'm sure a lot of our young men read the forum so just cut them some slack eh!!!

i was one of the 14000 and the side was given support during the game and posting negative comments on here , helps me to give that support between 3pm and 5pm.

I've seen plenty of goalies smoke a fag

Thanks for your time ,i hope you have posted this to the three amigos..

You misssed out flying in overseas supporters at a *discount price and giving them cheap tickets .

Oh and opening up the Itchen North to create some of that lost atmosphere .

i was one of the 14000 and the side was given support during the game and posting negative comments on here ' date=' helps me to give that support between 3pm and 5pm.[/quote']

OK but why does he bring the continued existence of TSW into the question, it just seems that it's a totally negative rant that hits out at everything within reach. Why are there continual anti establishment messages built into every

thread, we know we're in bad shape but why does it have to be included in every post. Has anyone ever thought that forum participation has sunk

because of the continual attacks on the "board". At the end of the day you can get fed up with it when you're about 17 years old and only interested in football; you're participating in a "football discussion" and then someone launches a triple whammy on Lowe etc and the thread goes off at a tangent.

Great post Phil.

With regard to this site: people like me can't be ars3d to pay £5 when some over excited Admin can ban you on a whim. I'll use the Ugly instead thank you very much.

More importantly, SFC. There is no point in blaming the customers if they don't want to buy the goods. Lowe and co need to do something to make purchases attractive before it's too late. If they don't get gates up it's goodbye SFC in the very near future I should think.

They just have to persuade people who go from time to time to get back into the habit. The only way of doing it is to make it very attractive to people to buy new Season Tickets now. They just have to fill those seats by offering a big discount on pro-rata ST prices. IMO at least 33% off and a publicity campaign to go with it - Building For The Future or some such.

Yes existing ST holders will be miffed but they have to be promised some kind of discount on next years tickets to placate them - after all the alternative is no club at all.

apart from the above we are doing quite nicely, thank you!

Can i have the abridged version? ;)

I've had enough of just moaning or arguing about the cause. Time for some ideas and solutions.

HTH

And some answers to other questions raised in reply

yep - seems like on Friday I discovered to my surprise that it appears I did write the book of love, (WOOT) and no, I don't have faith in anyone's God to get us out of here.

I am not knocking TSW either - BUT, it is clear it has an issue and the point that I made is numbers are down and heading south, so like the club something NEEDS to be done and quickly.

And yes the Itchen Corner HAS to be re-opened, but I decided to cut the post down to 170,000 words from the 250,000 it would have needed to include that - also the corner issue has "historically" been done to death on here and is not a "new creative idea" because it is already clear no-one at the club has noticed or has listened.

Oh and FWIW nobody is likely to pay even 15p a share at the moment so - sorry that won't work either

Have a nice day - off to practice some of that fag smoking sport this afternoon - how DID that Yank hole that ludicrous 40ft Putt? Still - I never have to hole them - I'm always closer to the pin!)

Will they be miffed, I for one would rather the stadium be filled oppose to what i'm seeing now irrespective of how they do it

You have got to weigh up just what is the cost of letting in all those "supporters" virtually fee of charge.Now I know nothing of the regulations concerning police and steward presence per X number or supporters but I presume the management do.We have in the past given out free tickets to schools and such I believe,when and where I've no idea, I'm sure some-one has.

Now those tickets would in theory have a negative cost, unless they all ate 3 pies and dranck 2 cokes each.When you have more people wanting stuff at HT you've to get more people in to serve them (I know that).Now it could be that many of our home games last season were buoyed up by freebies and cheapies,once again I've no idea on that. We paid our players far too much money with respect to our income, that's all I know. To sort the problem out that had to be tackled, it has been ,unfortunately the results leave to be desired as of yet,but then they did last season as well,at a disastrously high cost.

I've had enough of just moaning or arguing about the cause. Time for some ideas and solutions.

HTH

A

Have a nice day - off to practice some of that fag smoking sport this afternoon - how DID that Yank hole that ludicrous 40ft Putt? Still - I never have to hole them - I'm always closer to the pin!)

Fag smoking pastime Phil, we have established that it's not a sport.;););)

* What about a buy two, get the third seat free scheme?

* A 3 tickets, 3 burgers and 3 pints for £69.99 (£23.33) per ticket deal?

* Recuce the price of a box dramatically so the boxes are filled EVERY game. Maybe instead of what equates to approximately £100 per person, cost it at £50 per person, but restrict the alcohol to a reasonable level (maybe 5 bottles per person).

* Have a meet and greet before / after the game where you pay £30 per person, you get a beer before the game and after the game and you meet players, manager etc for 30 mins where you can chat and ask questions.

* Introduce a family ticket. 2 Adults (doesnt have to be mum and dad!) and 2 kids (under the age of 16) for £50.

I know a lot of people dont go to the footy because of the costs and at a time like this with bills increasing far quicker than salaries, people are not spending as much. If you consider going to a game (even if you dont go to the pub before)...

The ticket costs £25.00 or there abouts.

You spend £5 or so on parking (I know you can park for free if you park far enough away but this add's about an hour to your jouney, especially with the traffic after a game).

You buy your program before the game, how much are they now? £3.50 or so?

You buy a beer in the ground at £2.50 a pint and a burger at £3.00.

You wouldnt get much change from £40. This is for one person. 2 adults is £70-£80 or so, then add 2 kids and your well above £100.

With the mediums of internet, radio and sometimes even live TV people from as far a field as Dubai (Phil!) can keep up with the games. Given this choice and cost issues, its no wonder we are only getting the 15k circa attendances.

Implement discounts, new schemes and hopefully, people will come back. I know if I could go for £10-£15 I would certainly go to more games.

* What about a buy two, get the third seat free scheme?

* A 3 tickets, 3 burgers and 3 pints for £69.99 (£23.33) per ticket deal?

* Recuce the price of a box dramatically so the boxes are filled EVERY game. Maybe instead of what equates to approximately £100 per person, cost it at £50 per person, but restrict the alcohol to a reasonable level (maybe 5 bottles per person).

* Have a meet and greet before / after the game where you pay £30 per person, you get a beer before the game and after the game and you meet players, manager etc for 30 mins where you can chat and ask questions.

* Introduce a family ticket. 2 Adults (doesnt have to be mum and dad!) and 2 kids (under the age of 16) for £50.

I know a lot of people dont go to the footy because of the costs and at a time like this with bills increasing far quicker than salaries, people are not spending as much. If you consider going to a game (even if you dont go to the pub before)...

The ticket costs £25.00 or there abouts.

You spend £5 or so on parking (I know you can park for free if you park far enough away but this add's about an hour to your jouney, especially with the traffic after a game).

You buy your program before the game, how much are they now? £3.50 or so?

You buy a beer in the ground at £2.50 a pint and a burger at £3.00.

You wouldnt get much change from £40. This is for one person. 2 adults is £70-£80 or so, then add 2 kids and your well above £100.

With the mediums of internet, radio and sometimes even live TV people from as far a field as Dubai (Phil!) can keep up with the games. Given this choice and cost issues, its no wonder we are only getting the 15k circa attendances.

Implement discounts, new schemes and hopefully, people will come back. I know if I could go for £10-£15 I would certainly go to more games.

The problem with all these schemes is how the VAT man sees them, for yer average VAT officer there's no such thing as a free ticket,not unless they all are anyway. Have we no HMC+E official to point us straight on this one??

OK

Lowe and co are the only option we have at the moment.

I support their work to make the club self-financing with the income levels the CCC provide

I am not 'slagging off'. I identify problems, try and analyse them and try and come up with solutions.

From where I sit. the lack of fans seems to fall into three distinct areas - don't want to watch a "reserve" team, have something better to do with their time or money, or have issues with the political situation at the club

Identify the problems and then see what viable solutions can be discussed or sent to the Board.

TSW - this site is a big part of our daytime existance. TSF was damaged by the bile and bitterness of the ITK crew spreading to the general population. The new forum needs posters - they like the fans aren't coming. I offer some ideas as SOULTIONS to increase the number of active posters on here, not critiques. That benefits US as we get more debate and also the Admin as they secure the LONG TERM viability of the site.

Good post Phil, the people in charge have to do something even if they are just token gestures.

I dont think it is is down to the 'people in charge' - whether Lowe and Wilde at the club or Baj and Steve on this site.

Something weird has happened to people's attitudes. They expect a well resourced fans forum for nothing. Half wont pay £5 to fund it for a year. People are staying away in droves from Saints because (despite all the protestations abou Lowe) largely because we aren't in the prem and aren't winning enough - ie the product isnt good enough. People complain about being treated as customers - yet that is exactly how many behave.

The psyche of people has changed fundamentally - success and the right brand seem to be more important than ever before. Anything that isnt one of those top brands has to be be free to be popular. Very odd. I feel old.

I dont think it is is down to the 'people in charge' - whether Lowe and Wilde at the club or Baj and Steve on this site.

Something weird has happened to people's attitudes. They expect a well resourced fans forum for nothing. Half wont pay £5 to fund it for a year. People are staying away in droves from Saints because (despite all the protestations abou Lowe) largely because we aren't in the prem and aren't winning enough - ie the product isnt good enough. People complain about being treated as customers - yet that is exactly how many behave.

The psyche of people has changed fundamentally - success and the right brand seem to be more important than ever before. Anything that isnt one of those top brands has to be be free to be popular. Very odd. I feel old.

I agree that Lowe is not the main reason for the stay-away but he is A reason.

When the football is rubbish the club relies on the loyalty factor of fans, why should any Saints fan feel this loyalty when the person in charge calls them "lunatic fringe" or "the lager brigade".

If the club calls the fans "customers" they must expect them to behave like customers and choose to spend their money how they wish, they can't have it both ways.

Personally I think sacking Pearson was a slap in the face to the fans, it certainly made me think twice about stumping up my cash.

The problem with all these schemes is how the VAT man sees them, for yer average VAT officer there's no such thing as a free ticket,not unless they all are anyway. Have we no HMC+E official to point us straight on this one??

A free ticket is a free ticket, providing the face value shows as £0.00, it has no tax implications.

And a wise old owl once told me, if you are making a decent profit margin on your product/service, the higher the VAT bill, generally the higher your income.

The point I believe is being made is similar to the aeroplane theory. If British Airways are flying from A to B and have only half filled their plane at £100 a ticket. It would benefit them to offer the tickets for £1 to fill the other seats. Providing the additional cost of fuel that the extra 1 person is covered and any additional costs, then they are better off filling that seat than not filling it.

With SFC, providing the additional cost of stewarding is covered and additional staffing of bars is accounted for, then the tickets can be practically given away. A full staduim has been likened to a twelth player. I would imagine the combine p/h cost of a steward and bar person would be no more than £15.

Based on you needing 1 steward @ £10 per hour, per 100 (?) people for 4 hrs and 2 bar people @ £10 per hour (combined) per 50 (?) people for 3 hrs... for an additional 100 people, providing you were charging over £70 in total for the 100 people, you would be making a profit. Ergo, if you charge £1 per ticket, you would be making a £30 profit every 30 people on just the ticket prices. Factor in the additional money generated from extra sales at the bar and additional programs purchased and potential shop sales too, this profit figure increases.

I do not claim to know the figures, in terms of wages, how many people are required re staffing and stewarding or indeed profit margins, but using the above theory, SFC would be a lot better than having a half empty stadium.

Apathy seems to rule. The "not putting any money in Lowe's pockets, corners closing, total football, paying 26 quid to watch reserve team football and paying a fiver to use a web forum" brigade have finally made their point

That is one hell of a brigade, but some people don't mind spending money to watch football but won't pay five pounds to discuss it online.

Will they be miffed, I for one would rather the stadium be filled oppose to what i'm seeing now irrespective of how they do it

IMO yours is the rational and intelligent way of looking at it but I'm sure many existing ST holder would be upset if there wasn't something in it for them.

At least a discount for them next season wouldn't reduce the clubs funds for this year.