Thailand.

Crab Lungs

Welcome to the converted Crabby.

Thailand is THE vacation paradise and works as you have found on so many levels.

We just hope they get their political act back together and settle into a proper reform of their messed up systems politically

Knew you'd love it and glad you did

Well, I finally flew out on May 9th after rescheduling 3 times. I was pretty non-plussed about going beforehand, but my word, how that has changed now.

I've always considered myself quite worldly and cultural but nothing prepared me for experiencing Thailand!

From the moment I saw my first "Arry Monk" and indulged in my first tentative Wai I was hooked. What an incredible place full of incredible people!

The first five days we spent in Chiang Mai in the north, which is an incredibly vibrant University City. The first two days were spent relaxing, understandably after a marathon journey to the country. However, we did go out every night to sample the local nightlife and was not disappointed. Thankfully, Chiang Mai appears to be relatively unfounded by Westerners as of yet so we had a fantastic time immersing ourselves with the local culture as well as the partying with the very friendly locals. I was astounded to find out the respect the Thai's all showed eachother as well as the vast cultural differences such as having a drink and not fighting, politeness, chivalry towards women and care/attentiveness. Western society has a f()cking lot to learn!

The highlights in Chiang Mai had to be being fondled by a gaggle of university girls, the sights over Chiang Mai from the temple and one fantastic waitress Faa, who was mesmerising and almost single-handedly convinced me Thai women are the way forward. ;)

From Chiang Mai we flew to Pattaya via Bangkok. Pattaya was a ****ing god awful place. Surrounded by sex tourists, perverts, paedos and wrong-un's, I flipped out emotionally and lasted 3 hours (we were meant to be there four nights) and moved outside the city and stayed at the Ravindra. Met up with a friend's friend who runs a guest house out there and managed to go to Koh Samet for a day (****ing hell the scooter ride to the main island's harbour was an experience no handed!) and had a boat trip around the island with food, fishing, snorkelling and visiting the fish farm a highlight. Didn't venture into Pattaya again as I didn't want to see the exploitation of these wonderful people so stayed outside and went to all the cultural places around (more temples, restaurants and went to the places the Thai's went to) and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

The final sojourn was Bangkok but we arrived on the day that was acclaimed 'Battle Of Bangkok' last wednesday. Sadly, the curfew was imposed for the duration of the stay but we managed to get out and about during the day and experience the water taxi's and many of the local sights that were not closed off due to the troubles. Had a river view corner suite at the Chatrium Suites with a fantastic view of BKK - highly recommended. The only let down were the rude and obnoxious Iranians staying there... what a bunch of w4nkers they were.

The hair op was off also so I had plenty of money in my pockets, not that I needed it because everything was so cheap anyway! Whilst we did do some decidedly tourist-like things but the real fun was sampling and indulging in the locals customs and culture. I was astounded the attention I was afforded in every place I visited by the women and to be fair, the men also (which I took as a compliment) and loved how open and accepting the Thai culture is.

There were definitely many amusing moments, from meeting a gaggle of dumb germans in Chiang Mai who asked where the european women were (Er, what? 1, they're in europe and 2, why the **** would you go to Thailand for western women and 3, how could anyone not fall in love with the exotic women over there!?)

After that strange exchange, they did seem be fairly normal guys as we discussed current affairs and our respective countries and cultures. That was, until the most quiet german popped up with this gem:

"We have hooligans in our country, too. We call them Jews"

:-o

We were astounded and asked him to repeat what he said but he refused and they soon slunk off. Bizarre. Not much changed after 70 years then! :-o

Meeting someone from Holbury at the Chiang Mai waterfalls was also incredible - what were the odds?

Being stalked by ladyboys in BKK was amusing and being stopped in a temple continuously by a group of girls to have my pictures taken with all of them over and over again was also a great ego-massage. I have to say, I did enjoy walking around each area on my own and being pointed, stared, gawped and smiled at. ;)

Oh and when you buy a drink in Chiang Mai, you don't buy a single drink, you buy a bottle for a group. And if you don't finish it, you get to take it home, incredible :)

From the clicking heels to saluting security guards and officials, wai's from locals to the graceful, gliding women of Thailand, it was an incredible cultural experience. I will be returning for my bride in one approximately years time. :)

Was it the new comb over hair piece or did they think Glitter was back??

Your trip sounded great mate :)

Welcome to the converted Crabby.

Thailand is THE vacation paradise and works as you have found on so many levels.

We just hope they get their political act back together and settle into a proper reform of their messed up systems politically

Knew you'd love it and glad you did

Thanks DP, I have to say having been a bit ambivalent at first, I certainly came to love to Thailand. So much so, that I am considering my options for next year having been given two opportunities to work/live out there. That said, has to to be my timescale though - I need to be based in the UK for at least a year first to set the wheels in motion with my own stuff over here.

It is a shame there is that instability - thankfully it only affected the last part of my holiday though I have to feel a bit sorry for those whose lives have been lost or effected by it forever. Fingers crossed they'll sort it soon :(

Was it the new comb over hair piece or did they think Glitter was back??

Your trip sounded great mate :)

Lmfao, brilliant! It wasn't either, thankfully - my hair has grown long enough to cover the exposed spots though I am still considering the HT for next year. :)

I'd recommend Thailand to you f'sure, though you've probably already been there, right? :)

Thanks DP, I have to say having been a bit ambivalent at first, I certainly came to love to Thailand. So much so, that I am considering my options for next year having been given two opportunities to work/live out there. That said, has to to be my timescale though - I need to be based in the UK for at least a year first to set the wheels in motion with my own stuff over here.

It is a shame there is that instability - thankfully it only affected the last part of my holiday though I have to feel a bit sorry for those whose lives have been lost or effected by it forever. Fingers crossed they'll sort it soon :(

Lmfao, brilliant! It wasn't either, thankfully - my hair has grown long enough to cover the exposed spots though I am still considering the HT for next year. :)

I'd recommend Thailand to you f'sure, though you've probably already been there, right? :)

Yep, 5 times. However reading your story, I have just walked into town and I am currently looking at holidays in Thailand.

Have been there on the ships in the past. Great place, though also very bizzare in some places.

Are you going to get the hair transplant done elsewhere or have you knocked it on the head now?

I'm going to do it still, I think. I'm very comfortable with the doctor I have chosen and his previous patient's responses and results so I am likely to do it, next year, for definite, when I go over there again - possibly to live for a year. :)

Oh, and it gives me an excellent excuse to revisit Chiang Mai and woo my favourite waitress ever, Sky. Or, as she audibly announced "Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, which means 'Sky' in your language"

Then she glided off into the distance, her beautiful little pert backside smiling back at me :(

Yep, 5 times. However reading your story, I have just walked into town and I am currently looking at holidays in Thailand.

Go Thai Airways too. That was another experience... those stewardesses didn't stop for 12 hours! Amazing service!

how were their waitressing skills?

I thought Thailand was a great place but only had 10 days there, will go back again fo' sure. Cheap to get to and cheap there.

Superb, especially if they fancy you - which was certainly the case with one of her colleagues we christened 'Waterboy'.

Waterboy used to be very attentive to me. So attentive, in fact, that no sooner had I placed my glass down after sipping the water, he'd be over, topping it up. I made the mistake of looking up to him as he was pouring the water... he was looking into my eyes and pursing my lips. Unnerving at first but I took it as a compliment, really.

And when I mean 'looking into my eyes', I mean really looking into my eyes!

Well, I finally flew out on May 9th after rescheduling 3 times. I was pretty non-plussed about going beforehand, but my word, how that has changed now.

From the moment I saw my first "Arry Monk" and indulged in my first tentative Wai I was hooked. What an incredible place full of incredible people!

The first five days we spent in Chiang Mai in the north, which is an incredibly vibrant University City. The first two days were spent relaxing, understandably after a marathon journey to the country. However, we did go out every night to sample the local nightlife and was not disappointed. Thankfully, Chiang Mai appears to be relatively unfounded by Westerners as of yet so we had a fantastic time immersing ourselves with the local culture as well as the partying with the very friendly locals. I was astounded to find out the respect the Thai's all showed eachother as well as the vast cultural differences such as having a drink and not fighting, politeness, chivalry towards women and care/attentiveness. Western society has a f()cking lot to learn!

The highlights in Chiang Mai had to be being fondled by a gaggle of university girls, the sights over Chiang Mai from the temple and one fantastic waitress Faa, who was mesmerising and almost single-handedly convinced me Thai women are the way forward. ;)

:)

CM is my favorite place in the world. My Dad lives there, and my fiance is from there.

Thailand is incredible. It is so easy to be influenced by the ****ty, sex tourism stuff: but that's not the reality of the place. Overall sounds like you had am amazing time - lucky sod!

I've always considered myself quite worldly and cultural but nothing prepared me for experiencing Thailand!

From Chiang Mai we flew to Pattaya via Bangkok. Pattaya was a ****ing god awful place. Surrounded by sex tourists, perverts, paedos and wrong-un's, I flipped out emotionally and lasted 3 hours (we were meant to be there four nights) and moved outside the city and stayed at the Ravindra. Met up with a friend's friend who runs a guest house out there and managed to go to Koh Samet for a day (****ing hell the scooter ride to the main island's harbour was an experience no handed!) and had a boat trip around the island with food, fishing, snorkelling and visiting the fish farm a highlight. Didn't venture into Pattaya again as I didn't want to see the exploitation of these wonderful people so stayed outside and went to all the cultural places around (more temples, restaurants and went to the places the Thai's went to) and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

The final sojourn was Bangkok but we arrived on the day that was acclaimed 'Battle Of Bangkok' last wednesday. Sadly, the curfew was imposed for the duration of the stay but we managed to get out and about during the day and experience the water taxi's and many of the local sights that were not closed off due to the troubles. Had a river view corner suite at the Chatrium Suites with a fantastic view of BKK - highly recommended. The only let down were the rude and obnoxious Iranians staying there... what a bunch of w4nkers they were.

The hair op was off also so I had plenty of money in my pockets, not that I needed it because everything was so cheap anyway! Whilst we did do some decidedly tourist-like things but the real fun was sampling and indulging in the locals customs and culture. I was astounded the attention I was afforded in every place I visited by the women and to be fair, the men also (which I took as a compliment) and loved how open and accepting the Thai culture is.

There were definitely many amusing moments, from meeting a gaggle of dumb germans in Chiang Mai who asked where the european women were (Er, what? 1, they're in europe and 2, why the **** would you go to Thailand for western women and 3, how could anyone not fall in love with the exotic women over there!?)

After that strange exchange, they did seem be fairly normal guys as we discussed current affairs and our respective countries and cultures. That was, until the most quiet german popped up with this gem:

"We have hooligans in our country, too. We call them Jews"

:-o

We were astounded and asked him to repeat what he said but he refused and they soon slunk off. Bizarre. Not much changed after 70 years then! :-o

Meeting someone from Holbury at the Chiang Mai waterfalls was also incredible - what were the odds?

Being stalked by ladyboys in BKK was amusing and being stopped in a temple continuously by a group of girls to have my pictures taken with all of them over and over again was also a great ego-massage. I have to say, I did enjoy walking around each area on my own and being pointed, stared, gawped and smiled at. ;)

Oh and when you buy a drink in Chiang Mai, you don't buy a single drink, you buy a bottle for a group. And if you don't finish it, you get to take it home, incredible :)

From the clicking heels to saluting security guards and officials, wai's from locals to the graceful, gliding women of Thailand, it was an incredible cultural experience. I will be returning for my bride in one approximately years time. :)

Sorry to burst your bubble but its not called the Land of Smiles for nothing - they are just after your money in the main.

"chivalry towards women" !? ha! Prostitution is more common here then anywhere else in the world. Thai women like western men cos of the money and the fact we are less sexist and allow them some freedom. Plus every Thai man has a "geek," another girlfriend his wife has to put up with.

Hope the hair went well though

Glad you loved your trip to Thailand, CL. Although you were there when the troubles spilled over in Bangkok, you will undoubtedly agree that in ChiangMai or Koh Samet or anywhere else a bit off the beaten track, you would have been hard pressed to know that there was anything untoward going on out there. I liken it to the Yanks being afraid to come here during the time of the Brixton riots, when they would have been totally unaffected in the Cotswolds, Cornwall, the Lake District, etc.

So although the FO advice was not to go there, in fact I personally would deem it a great time to go for many reasons, some of which you probably encountered without realising it. Yes, the people are very friendly. But perhaps they were very pleased to see a farang tourist when tourist numbers will have been devastated by the troubles there. You will have found that the hotels were not full and you could haggle for very good deals. In any event, your experiences seem to have captivated you to the country, much as I would expect them to have done and I assure you that it becomes a drug, so that you cannot wait to get back there. There is so much to see and perhaps your next trip could include some of the following:-

Koh Samui, Krabbi, Koh Chang, Chiang Rai, Phuket as some of the better known places, or there are plenty of lesser known places to explore when you want a bit more variety.

Do I take it that you a single bloke? Head turned by the gracious and lovely ladies? Well, you could do a lot worse than returning there for your bride in one year's time. Would this be Faa by any chance? ;)

And if you get withdrawal symptons, there are Thai festivals every year here in Southampton, Southsea, Salisbury, Bournemouth, Godalming, etc. usually around about July/August.

Sorry to burst your bubble but its not called the Land of Smiles for nothing - they are just after your money in the main.

"chivalry towards women" !? ha! Prostitution is more common here then anywhere else in the world. Thai women like western men cos of the money and the fact we are less sexist and allow them some freedom. Plus every Thai man has a "geek," another girlfriend his wife has to put up with.

Hope the hair went well though

I've no doubt many feel the need to be 'rescued' from their somehwat impoverished lives they lead however my understanding was that you can't just 'buy' any woman in Thailand. In go-go bars, yes, they've got families to look after but beyond that, well - I'm absolutely sure there are women interested in western guys not just for their money.

Especially if they are asexual lookers like myself. ;-)

Joking aside though, I agree with your other sentiments. It's the same for Japanese women I believe. Western men do, are, in essence, far more tolerant and accepting and don't subscribe to looking upon women as lesser or impact upon their free will. If that's what they dig, then fine - as long as the woman of my dreams isn't motivated by predominantly money.

I'm sure I'll find a nice one. ;)

I've heard about the 'gik' subculture too. :)

Glad you loved your trip to Thailand, CL. Although you were there when the troubles spilled over in Bangkok, you will undoubtedly agree that in ChiangMai or Koh Samet or anywhere else a bit off the beaten track, you would have been hard pressed to know that there was anything untoward going on out there. I liken it to the Yanks being afraid to come here during the time of the Brixton riots, when they would have been totally unaffected in the Cotswolds, Cornwall, the Lake District, etc.

So although the FO advice was not to go there, in fact I personally would deem it a great time to go for many reasons, some of which you probably encountered without realising it. Yes, the people are very friendly. But perhaps they were very pleased to see a farang tourist when tourist numbers will have been devastated by the troubles there. You will have found that the hotels were not full and you could haggle for very good deals. In any event, your experiences seem to have captivated you to the country, much as I would expect them to have done and I assure you that it becomes a drug, so that you cannot wait to get back there. There is so much to see and perhaps your next trip could include some of the following:-

Koh Samui, Krabbi, Koh Chang, Chiang Rai, Phuket as some of the better known places, or there are plenty of lesser known places to explore when you want a bit more variety.

Do I take it that you a single bloke? Head turned by the gracious and lovely ladies? Well, you could do a lot worse than returning there for your bride in one year's time. Would this be Faa by any chance? ;)

And if you get withdrawal symptons, there are Thai festivals every year here in Southampton, Southsea, Salisbury, Bournemouth, Godalming, etc. usually around about July/August.

Yup, very single.

I'm not sure if it'll be Faa, sadly. She never wrote me back and it's been nearly 2 weeks now. :(

That said, I didn't really strike up a rapport first and, well, I've no idea whether she already has a boyfriend/girlfriend. No biggie though. :)

Oh, and I've no doubt there is probably some sort of stigma attached with western guys and understandably so. :(

Like I said above, I certainly don't want to find any woman - I'd like to find a woman there who has honest intentions beyond a 'way out'. Likewise my intentions are not purely based upon getting my end away - for me it was the fact that are still women there. I'm not into flabby, curry munching, beer guzzling western women and never have been. I kinda guess that's why I have been single for like, 5 years. ;)

As for tourism, well... It is apparently on 6% of their GDP (obviously not accounting the sex trade!) so I'm not sure it was just the fact that they'd seen a westerner spending money. Aside from the hotel and food, I hardly spent a penny!

The hotel's we stayed in were very much full as we did try and extend at two but they were booked out. As for negotiating, well, we did that pretty successfully too. :)

I'd definitely like to try other parts of Thailand next, for sure, but my heart is in Chiang Mai. I'll return their first and see if I still feel the same way though from what I remember so fondly, I have no doubt I will.

CM is my favorite place in the world. My Dad lives there, and my fiance is from there.

Thailand is incredible. It is so easy to be influenced by the ****ty, sex tourism stuff: but that's not the reality of the place. Overall sounds like you had am amazing time - lucky sod!

Thanks Suhari :)

As I've just said, Chiang Mai has left me with so many fond memories that I wholly intend to return there is one years time.

Incredible place, incredible people.

Chaing Mai seems to have captured your attentions. I can see why, it's a beautiful city, that feels much smaller than it really is. I guess thats something to do with the old moated town centre. It's a joy to wander about in, and is full of experiences, and plenty of tutorials, to learn massage, cooking or language. I found it good to escape the old town and walk to the east where the evening food market comes into full swing (also some good resturants down by the banks of the river).

My advice CL, is if you love Chaing Mai, get yourself to Luang Prabang, it's even more relaxed & beautiful (but with far less of the go-go scene).

Chiang Mai's a fabulous place, but I like the smaller Chiang Rai too. CL, did you go further up the hill from the temple to see the Karan Hill tribe village? Also good excursions to Thailand's highest mountain, Doi Inthanon and Bamboo rafting is a great experience too, as well as the Elephant trekking.

Johnnyboy. A little mixed up there. A Gik is the toyboy/gigalo that wealthy Thai women have (see, it works both ways). What you are talking about is the Mia Noi, or minor wife that is the bit on the side for the men. Much as the French guys have a bit of skirt that the French wives tolerate.

Chiang Mai's a fabulous place, but I like the smaller Chiang Rai too. CL, did you go further up the hill from the temple to see the Karan Hill tribe village? Also good excursions to Thailand's highest mountain, Doi Inthanon and Bamboo rafting is a great experience too, as well as the Elephant trekking.

Johnnyboy. A little mixed up there. A Gik is the toyboy/gigalo that wealthy Thai women have (see, it works both ways). What you are talking about is the Mia Noi, or minor wife that is the bit on the side for the men. Much as the French guys have a bit of skirt that the French wives tolerate.

Hey, thats not fair! My partner is French and she wont tolerate a jot (Ive tried)...:-(

Glad you had a good time mate, I have read this thread all the way through as I was concerned at how thing's were over there given the current political situation.

Does anyone on here have any advice on Hua Hin? I am off there mid-July and was looking for any hints/tips etc?

I am not too concerned about the political situation[so far] as I have a taxi booked direct from Bangkok Airport to Hua Hin - is it true that my insurance is invalid if I choose to travel against the advice of the UK foreign office?

Hey, thats not fair! My partner is French and she wont tolerate a jot (Ive tried)...:-(

Ah, but you're not French, I presume, so you can see where the analogy breaks down, eh? ;) Furthermore, you said partner, not wife. There is a difference when you're married, as the wife shrugs her shoulders (the gallic, or is that garlic shrug) as she has captured her man and reasons that although her guy has strayed, he is her guy and the floosie only has him on loan.

Glad you had a good time mate, I have read this thread all the way through as I was concerned at how thing's were over there given the current political situation.

Does anyone on here have any advice on Hua Hin? I am off there mid-July and was looking for any hints/tips etc?

I am not too concerned about the political situation[so far] as I have a taxi booked direct from Bangkok Airport to Hua Hin - is it true that my insurance is invalid if I choose to travel against the advice of the UK foreign office?

Personally, I prefer Cha Am next door, which the Thais prefer too. Hua Hin is more commercialised, but each to their own. If you can, hire a car and explore the coast to the South of Hua Hin, which is really beautiful and unspoilt. Mile after mile of beautiful gplden sand and clearer water, some national parks, lovely resorts, etc.

Thanks BT :)

I cannot speak highly enough of the country and it's people - though I don't know anything of your destination so can't help you there.

However, with regards to insurance, we left during the troubles but checked with the insurers who said we were not covered by anything related to the troubles but were covered for all the obvious.

Best thing would be to check with them and get them to detail your policy for you to find out, though I suspect they'll also operate the same policy.

Have an amazing time :)

Ah, but you're not French, I presume, so you can see where the analogy breaks down, eh? ;) Furthermore, you said partner, not wife. There is a difference when you're married, as the wife shrugs her shoulders (the gallic, or is that garlic shrug) as she has captured her man and reasons that although her guy has strayed, he is her guy and the floosie only has him on loan.

ok, im proposing tomorrow, quite the romantic eh?

Cheers for the interesting read folks I have less than 12hours there in October en-route to China in the Autumn, arrive 15:10 leave 12:30 dinner thankfully my Boss knows Bangkok and our agent has been living there for 16 years (worryingly he knows the saucy sights far too well) but then he will know where to go for a taster of the sights.