Will you go when we reach the promised land...

Legod Third Coming

so to clarify, a fair few of you dont even want to get to the premier league.......and i get called negative. Certainly the oddest thread i have read for a while

well they had better get used to the idea that we are most probably going to get back to the prem.... we don't have a billionaire owner who would be happy to loiter in league one just because some of our fans like the hotdogs at Wycombe

I have the same dilemna - whilst I would love to see us back at the top, I am very happy with League 1!

From an economics view - I can afford to go fairly regularly at these prices, but I couldn't justify going to Chelsea or Arsenal at those prices. I love football generally and if I want a fix of "top quality" I'll watch it on TV. Nothing replaces the excitement and buzz I get from watching Saints, but not at any cost!

There is a certain pleasure in knowing you can make a decision on the day to go and watch your team home or away. There always seems to be a friendly welcome where ever we play these days. The landlords of the local pubs appreciate a decent away following - and I think we genuinely have had a bigger following (away from home) this season than in recent years.

I'll always go and watch my team - but not at stupid prices! I must admit I find it hard to swallow that at Tranmere we paid £20.50 on the turnstile - yet their last home game was £13.50 for away fans (so the operator told me)...so we even get ripped off in this league!

Not sure waht can be identified aas good value - but I have loved this season more than many of the recent horrors we have had to suffer.

The Premiership - it's not all it's cracked up to be!

Another trip to Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge for another drubbing - defeatest perhaps but unless we recruit a load of mercenary "couldn't care less players" that's what it will be.

Perhaps the CCC is a happy medium, but I remember people on this forum describing that as second rate. Second rate perhaps but at least the games had some soul!

I'd still get to as many home games as possible (and retain my season ticket, if it was affordable).

Wouldn't go to aways anymore though, even if I could afford it which is extremely doubtful. Getting thumped at every away would be disagreeable but nothing I didn't get used to pre-2005, I don't mind about that, but I don't want to support the monster that is the Premier League any more than I absolutely have to.

Really enjoyed this season and had a ton of great, rambunctious days out for a lot less money than I would pay to sit in silence at Stamford Bridge watching us get murdered 4-1 and hoping to be permitted to jump up and down for ten seconds or so when we got our consolation goal before having "Siddahn" snarled at me by some fat bloke in a fluorescent jacket. It all depends on what you want from football, I guess.

well they had better get used to the idea that we are most probably going to get back to the prem.... we don't have a billionaire owner who would be happy to loiter in league one just because some of our fans like the hotdogs at Wycombe

Exactly.

As much as we are enjoying our stay in the third tier of football right now, our owners very much see us as a Prem club and want us to play there - And that is absolutely the correct attitude to take.

For myself, I would love us back at the top table again.

i understand what you mean. the return of the plastic fans and all. i enjoy seeing 20k per week watching saints because they want to rather than 32k per week watching saints because its the premier league. i'm loving the backs to the wall siege mentality of being a saints fan in league 1 at the moment

I too find the premiership soulless and mercenary, with part of me dreading actually being there again, but, and it's a big but, the reason why we find this league exciting and entertaining is becasue we are a relatively big and, most importantly, *ambitious* team in L1.

We are constantly looking forward and upwards, imagining promotion, doing sums on how many points we need to reach 6th etc. If we were a regular solid mid-table L1 team it would not be so exciting. To support a team that cannot even dream of promotion to the premiership is pretty depressing. Try following Tranmere every week, or Wycombe, or Brentford, or Yeovil, etc.

So picking up on the philosophical posts earlier, not only is football a journey , but it is one where to travel is better than to arrive ..... but it is also very much better to travel than to stand still.

K.

Yep. I've read it all now......:rolleyes:

Alistair Campbell, eat yer heart out.

What difference is it not going and listening on the radio from Premiership to League One still costs the same??

You can still moan and criticise from your armchair.

Those of us that went in the Premiership paid well over £500 for a ST for me alone ...this year I paid £325 for me and my lad.....you do the maths!!!

This thread sums up the damage that has been caused to our fans the past few years.

The club is not messed up - its a percentage of our fans.

Do you marry an ugly bird, just so its less likely that she will cheat or leave you?

Weird thread!

Never heard the old song, 'lemon tree very pretty'? --- with the line, 'never make a pretty woman your wife'.

K.

If you want an easy life, get an ugly wife! :smt026

If you want to see your team win more than they lose, hope and pray that they stay in L1 FOREVER!

I seem to recall a lot of posters posted on the previous site when we were relegated from the PL "at least we will win more games".

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This thread sums up the damage that has been caused to our fans the past few years.

The club is not messed up - its a percentage of our fans.

Do you marry an ugly bird, just so its less likely that she will cheat or leave you?

Weird thread!

No, it sums up those of us who appreciate that anything in life worth having is worth earning and fighting for.

You go find a pretty girl today, get excited, marry her and watch as before your eyes she ages into something that reminds you all you married was a picture book...

Or go and find someone who you can actually spend your life with and age together realising that the person you married, you wanted to travel with looking in the same direction, not looking at one another.

I will enjoy whatever success comes our way, don't get me wrong, but I will simply go less when we reach our destination. Why? Because there isn't a man alive who understand the real value of life who doesn't enjoy travelling in hope more than arriving...

We see it on this site every day, one win sustains you for ten minutes. The hope of a win sustains some of us for life. ;)

I'd still get to as many home games as possible (and retain my season ticket, if it was affordable).

Wouldn't go to aways anymore though, even if I could afford it which is extremely doubtful. Getting thumped at every away would be disagreeable but nothing I didn't get used to pre-2005, I don't mind about that, but I don't want to support the monster that is the Premier League any more than I absolutely have to.

Really enjoyed this season and had a ton of great, rambunctious days out for a lot less money than I would pay to sit in silence at Stamford Bridge watching us get murdered 4-1 and hoping to be permitted to jump up and down for ten seconds or so when we got our consolation goal before having "Siddahn" snarled at me by some fat bloke in a fluorescent jacket. It all depends on what you want from football, I guess.

Couldn't have put it any better myself, sums it all up for me.

I seem to recall a lot of posters posted on the previous site when we were relegated from the PL "at least we will win more games".

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So you would rather us get thumped 5-1 by Man City like Hull than win 5-0 against Huddersfield and play the best football we have seen in years.

Yep that confirms everything I thought about you and your clique of GS/SS

No, it sums up those of us who appreciate that anything in life worth having is worth earning and fighting for.

You go find a pretty girl today, get excited, marry her and watch as before your eyes she ages into something that reminds you all you married was a picture book...

Or go and find someone who you can actually spend your life with and age together realising that the person you married, you wanted to travel with looking in the same direction, not looking at one another.

I will enjoy whatever success comes our way, don't get me wrong, but I will simply go less when we reach our destination. Why? Because there isn't a man alive who understand the real value of life who doesn't enjoy travelling in hope more than arriving...

We see it on this site every day, one win sustains you for ten minutes. The hope of a win sustains some of us for life. ;)

Deep!

nice post though!

So you would rather us get thumped 5-1 by Man City like Hull than win 5-0 against Huddersfield and play the best football we have seen in years.

Yep that confirms everything I thought about you and your clique of GS/SS

The fact you'd expect us to lose 5-1 against Man City confirms everything I thought about you and your clique ;)

The fact you'd expect us to lose 5-1 against Man City confirms everything I thought about you and your clique ;)

I actually think we would invest and be successful in the Premiership, so for me it's not about seeing us win or lose.

It's about watching players like Craig Bellamy, John Terry, Cashley Cole and the like - knowing they are the spawn of Satan driving home in £150k motor cars, parking in disabled bays, screwing their mate's exs, smacking night club bouncers...

And knowing that they were doing it with the proceeds of the shirt off and on my back...

So like I say, will go to the odd game - most likely the Aston Villa type games, but not every week and away games as often as possible as I do at the moment. OK, Wycombe was not a footballing extravaganza but in a perverse way it was fun. What else would I have been doing on a Tuesday night?

Spot on. I dont understand why he presented only those two options.

As you quoted him I will answer you ...as I have that plum on ignore....I accept you are not a WUM like him so dont hold you in same regard.

Because for years we struggled in the Prem to compete and regularly got stuffed or is your memory faded....do you honestly believe we can compete with the top half of the Pl now? Or even when we get there?

Dont get me wrong I want us to get up and think we will but it will take far longer than you and the impatient ones on here demand! We may even have a different owner by then.

If you remember the criteria set for the club....we have to be self sufficient and you believe that we can do that against Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal???

I can see your point I have really enjoyed league 1 the pleasure of watching your team win and travel to anywhere expecting a win is fantastic.

Dont get me wrong I want to see success and that will bring the Prem but I know that football is alive and well outside the promised land I will always go I love my footy having a good day out.

I love footy saturday 3 pm and you dont get many of them in the prem.

I have loved this season home & away

As you quoted him I will answer you ...as I have that plum on ignore....I accept you are not a WUM like him so dont hold you in same regard.

Because for years we struggled in the Prem to compete and regularly got stuffed or is your memory faded....do you honestly believe we can compete with the top half of the Pl now? Or even when we get there?

Dont get me wrong I want us to get up and think we will but it will take far longer than you and the impatient ones on here demand! We may even have a different owner by then.

If you remember the criteria set for the club....we have to be self sufficient and you believe that we can do that against Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal???

Negative, negative, negative!

I can see your point I have really enjoyed league 1 the pleasure of watching your team win and travel to anywhere expecting a win is fantastic.

Find it quite strange that you ‘expect’ to win away games, when actually we have only won 5 away ( from 18 ) all season (league)

That’s nearly 75% of away games that we have failed to win.

What the usual mongs (please don't quote them) fail to see is that we all want our team playing at the highest level but don't really want the costs involved with it.

The usual mongs will still only have their Saints Player fees where as some of us would struggle to justify or even meet the cost of Premier League football.

Did you get a bigger buzz out of knocking 5 past Huddersfield, or 6 (not including the 2 disallowed) past Manyoo ?

Your comment about getting up under a different owner is interesting - why do you think we wont go into another nose-dive if ML loses interest ?

It begs the question as to why some of you are getting so irate about us not getting promoted this year if you dont actually want us back in the prem.

Should we ever gain promotion to the championship which is not guaranteed next season contrary to some beliefs, are people seriously going to want the club to be a mid table champ team.Can you imagine the hysteria after beating a couple of top teams and then lose another away game against Doncaster or someone to leave us 10 points adrift of the play offs and another manager out thread.

We now have an owner who wants Premiership football to which we have all joined the journey to reach such dizzy heights.

As much as we may all hate certain aspects of the prem is that not down to our jealousy of those clubs as we feel we should already be there.We cant have our cake and eat it, we cant moan about crap performances in league one and then the championship should we get there and then moan that we dont want to be in the prem anyway.

I fully appreciate that some people will not be able to afford the premiership and all that it brings but at the moment guys that is just a pipe dream.

It begs the question as to why some of you are getting so irate about us not getting promoted this year if you dont actually want us back in the prem.

Should we ever gain promotion to the championship which is not guaranteed next season contrary to some beliefs, are people seriously going to want the club to be a mid table champ team.Can you imagine the hysteria after beating a couple of top teams and then lose another away game against Doncaster or someone to leave us 10 points adrift of the play offs and another manager out thread.

We now have an owner who wants Premiership football to which we have all joined the journey to reach such dizzy heights.

As much as we may all hate certain aspects of the prem is that not down to our jealousy of those clubs as we feel we should already be there.We cant have our cake and eat it, we cant moan about crap performances in league one and then the championship should we get there and then moan that we dont want to be in the prem anyway.

I fully appreciate that some people will not be able to afford the premiership and all that it brings but at the moment guys that is just a pipe dream.

In fairness, those that are most irate about no promotion this season are mutually exclusive from those now seeing benefits in staying in League 1.

Find it quite strange that you ‘expect’ to win away games, when actually we have only won 5 away ( from 18 ) all season (league)

That’s nearly 75% of away games that we have failed to win.

I have enjoyed this season at home, not so much away (Swindon and Wycombe being my 2 away days thus far.....)

It's not even about winning or not winning. Yes it helps going into games having a good chance of getting a win and despite your stats above, we haven't lost too many on the road this season at all. It's more to do with paying what I consider a "fair" price to watch a game of football, surrounded by people who have travelled miles to get behind saints and not because they'd "always wanted to visit Old Trafford", it's being able to enter the ground at 2.55pm and choose where I want to stand with a group of mates rather than being pointed to our specific seats, going to grounds with character. The novelty might wear off and of course I want Saints to do well, that goes without saying. But I doubt I'll enjoy watching us in the Prem as much as I have this season. I've done every away game bar one this season, I definitely won't be doing that back in the PL.

But if you don't do aways regularly the above is all quite meaningless I guess.

It's not even about winning or not winning. Yes it helps going into games having a good chance of getting a win and despite your stats above, we haven't lost too many on the road this season at all. It's more to do with paying what I consider a "fair" price to watch a game of football, surrounded by people who have travelled miles to get behind saints and not because they'd "always wanted to visit Old Trafford", it's being able to enter the ground at 2.55pm and choose where I want to stand with a group of mates rather than being pointed to our specific seats, going to grounds with character. The novelty might wear off and of course I want Saints to do well, that goes without saying. But I doubt I'll enjoy watching us in the Prem as much as I have this season. I've done every away game bar one this season, I definitely won't be doing that back in the PL.

Spot on.

Yes ...

But must be said that i regularly pass on watching the mediocre prem matches on the box they just don't excite me any more .

Blimey, you've got some tolerance, the only two Prem matches I've bothered watching this season were the one where Figueroa scored from his own half for Wigan and Chelsea v Man City for Bridge, and they were only because I happened to be in the pub at the time.

When we were on the way to the 2003 FA Cup semi at Villa Park my cousin was testing me on Prem player squad numbers and there wasn't one I didn't know, including all the obscure fringe players. Nowadays I couldn't even tell you who half of Villa or Man City's team is - gave up SkyHD last July and haven't missed it for a minute.

I tend only to go to away matches at grounds I haven't been to before, so if we got back to the Prem I'd probably only go to Burnley, Hull, Newcastle, Sunderland and Stoke, and there's a fair chance we'd meet most of them in the CCC beforehand anyway.

Edited by The9

Did you get a bigger buzz out of knocking 5 past Huddersfield, or 6 (not including the 2 disallowed) past Manyoo ?

Your comment about getting up under a different owner is interesting - why do you think we wont go into another nose-dive if ML loses interest ?

But how many times in our history did we do that? We got battered far more times than we won. I do not think we will be ready for ages as Pardew had to totally restructure the backroom staff. Its now starting to pay off at the lowere level.

I think we will be in a far stronger position when ML leaves..for one we won't be a PLC with all the split shareholding that we had previously.

We should not also have the amount of debt or a mortgage on the stadium.

However....how much ML would want to sell at is a different matter as we have seen there are not too many buyers of football teams....or shall I say Arabs with money ;-)

I don't really know why, but I suspect I will probably stop going to games so much if/when we reach the Premiership.

I am not a mediocre man (well I probably am, but I mean I don't aspire to mediocrity).

But I actually love League One football - yes, even though I consider it a God-foresaken wasteland - places like Wycombe where Guy Ritchie could happily film his latest East-end gangland ruck - Sheds, Freds and Two Smoking Stewards...

But something about watching this level of football, well it appeals to me immensely.

I can really celebrate when Rickie or Barney score because somehow they make me think I could be out there. Whereas, a Ronaldo would just make me wish I spent longer in the gym and begrugde the little terd my cash when he stiffs his 599...

Am I going mad?

AH, you are going to gte shot down, man, you know that.

However I agree with you. I enjoy this football as it is good to be considered a power house and to have a good team. Also it is good to know that we can beat any team on the day, (although our performance is measured in how good the other team is) and can go on and even win this league. In the Premier****, it'll be back to the 'are we going to avoid relegation this season' watch, with watching over paid mercenaries, albeit very talented ones, and being happy for a week because we won one, for a change.

Unless of course Markus invests 100m and we manage to f*** over the big four. Especially if they start to have debt problems. Yeh, as if. Who ever heard of a team in the Premiership having debt problems and going into administration?

QUOTE]

I got a bigger buzz out of winning with 5 goals twice in a week and knowing that on our day there is no team we couldn't do that to in this league, than knocking 6 past manure and know that we would STILL Not get anywhere near the Champions League.

Not me, don't get me wrong. I will go to the play-off final and love it if we win - I'm a SAINT after all. But I can't get excited by the prospect of seeing Fergie again... It's too much like playing American 'franchises'. Something about being down here slumming it has made me remember why I enjoy football.

It's reminded me that football is a journey not a destination.

Does League One uncannily remind you of football as it used to be played..? No theatrics, no prima donnas, just players and heroes and the game. The Championship, League One & Two is where proper football, the kind that is in touch with the fans, remains. Of course I want Saints to get back to the Premiership. Anyone would. I'm just sick of what the Premiership has become.

Does League One uncannily remind you of football as it used to be played..? No theatrics, no prima donnas, just players and heroes and the game. The Championship, League One & Two is where proper football, the kind that is in touch with the fans, remains. Of course I want Saints to get back to the Premiership. Anyone would. I'm just sick of what the Premiership has become.

No theatrics ? You weren't at Prenton Park on Saturday then, their number 9 outflopped Fonte by about 150%. And terrible, terrible refs.

The only thing that will stop me watching Prem football if Saints are involved is a money-related stitch-up causing either blatant unfairness or prejudicing results. From direct PL interference as opposed to the causal money-led procession it is at the moment, I mean. Such as giving Portsmouth parachute payments in advance or overlooking a 9 point deduction just because they've chosen to ignore their own rules, for instance.

Edited by The9

Jesus christ, NOBODY has said they would rather stay here than be in the Prem. Some people have said they might not go because costs will be so much higher and, with the amount of plastics around pretending they know what happened in the lower divisions, the day could be less enjoyable.

Jesus christ, NOBODY has said they would rather stay here than be in the Prem. Some people have said they might not go because costs will be so much higher and, with the amount of plastics around pretending they know what happened in the lower divisions, the day could be less enjoyable.

You clearly havent read the thread.

No theatrics ? You weren't at Prenton Park on Saturday then, their number 9 outflopped Fonte by about 150%. And terrible, terrible refs.

Yes, I saw that too.

Shall I bother to spend 5 minutes on Youtube finding theatrics from the Premiership, that would win an Olivier award, or will you just get what I mean..? ;)

Yes, I saw that too.

Shall I bother to spend 5 minutes on Youtube finding theatrics from the Premiership, that would win an Olivier award, or will you just get what I mean..? ;)

I think you underestimate the level of theatrics in League One, the only difference being that the media don't spend days highlighting it all. And also that they're generally being done by Moores and Smiths and Thomases instead of da Fallovas and Whoojamawotsits.

I'm not really bothered who we play as long as we have a chance of winning. Which rules out about 8 games in a Prem season...

Show me where someone has said they would rather be in League One than the Prem, and I will admit I was wrong.

I would rather stay in L1 then return to the prem

Apology accepted!