The "Just back from the game" thread

Shroppie

Harding was taken off for 3 or 4 reasons which AP wants to keep to himself,

his words not mine. They must have been good though or at least I hope they are as the Chairman will probably want to hear them.

Apparently on the radio AP said Harding was taken off for 3 or 4 reasons which he would keep to himself!!!

That's very strange...

Can't see any reason to take him off other than injury he wasn't even having a bad game.

Fonte is a cheat.

I hate to say that about a Saints player but that was disgusting to see. Let's just hope it was nothing more than frustrastion and that AP has some strong words with him about it and we don't see it again.

You are correct my friend, he dived !! not good to see as a fan !! however, we should have had a pen or two. I hope that skate had a visit after the game ! we looked !!!

Alpine I do wish you would clear off from here sometimes. What motivates you?

TBF, we shouldn't be losing these games, he does get a bad rep and tbh i don't agree with his player assessments but i will stick up for him here.

The money we have spent and team we have we should not be becoming unstuck against these teams.

It needs to be sorted and soon.

TBF, we shouldn't be losing these games, he does get a bad rep and tbh i don't agree with his player assessments but i will stick up for him here.

The money we have spent and team we have we should not be becoming unstuck against these teams.

It needs to be sorted and soon.

As we've spent more money than any other team in the divison we should never lose to any team in the division then? remind who was the last team to go all season without losing? we will lose matches regardless of how much money we spend.

As we've spent more money than any other team in the divison we should never lose to any team in the division then? remind who was the last team to go all season without losing? we will lose matches regardless of how much money we spend.

Agreed

i watched a saints team with 4 England captains in it , guess what

we were cra*p away from The Dell

Positives

- JO performance. Thought he was our man of the match and played very well.

- Seaborne looked okay when he came on and quite the look of him.

- Tranmere people very friendly.

Negatives

- Fonte's dive. Bloody disgrace and Barnard tried a similar thing in the box. Don't do it.

- Okay the referee didn't have the greatest game. But after one or two bad decisions, fans and players alike contested every decsion againt us, even if it was the right one. It was a penalty to them. I understand the frustration, however, constanly surrounding the ref is not going to help. We came across as 'big-time charlies' who expected everything to go our way today

- Performance of Lallana and Puncheon. Both useless in the second half. Their job was to hug the touchline and provided the team with width, neither did it, resulting in two key problems. One was the Morgan had no outlet and was limited to a few mazy runs. Secondly was that Lambert kept having to go wide to find space. When the cross comes in, only Barnard was competing for the ball.

- Additionally, the wide players did not provide enough cover for the full backs. Antonio should have been brought on earlier to find more width.

- Morgan and Lambo should stop berrating the ref all the time, get on with it.

Overall a dissapointing game but we didn;t do enough ourselves to win it. We had a few chances but were ultimately wasteful, something not normal for us. Lallana, this i have observed over the last few games, needs to work on his finishing. Their Number 5. Centre Back has been very good both games against us. Also found it funny how wound up everyone was with the Pompey fan. If anything it added to banter and provided some atmopshere as oppossed to none.

STAY PATIENT, NEXT YEAR IS FOR US

Positives

Negatives

- Fonte's dive. Bloody disgrace and Barnard tried a similar thing in the box. Don't do it.

- Okay the referee didn't have the greatest game. But after one or two bad decisions, fans and players alike contested every decsion againt us, even if it was the right one. It was a penalty to them. I understand the frustration, however, constanly surrounding the ref is not going to help. We came across as 'big-time charlies' who expected everything to go our way today

- Performance of Lallana and Puncheon. Both useless in the second half. Their job was to hug the touchline and provided the team with width, neither did it, resulting in two key problems. One was the Morgan had no outlet and was limited to a few mazy runs. Secondly was that Lambert kept having to go wide to find space. When the cross comes in, only Barnard was competing for the ball.

- Additionally, the wide players did not provide enough cover for the full backs. Antonio should have been brought on earlier to find more width.

Overall a dissapointing game but we didn;t do enough ourselves to win it. We had a few chances but were ultimately wasteful, something not normal for us. Lallana, this i have observed over the last few games, needs to work on his finishing. Their Number 5. Centre Back has been very good both games against us. Also found it funny how wound up everyone was with the Pompey fan. If anything it added to banter and provided some atmopshere as oppossed to none.

Just as I saw it, the very narow pitch didnt help either & the ref favoured the home side, as the normally do, but he was very poor.

Barnard was pushed in the box. He did not try anything - he was pushed. I was right in front of it.

I understand the need to be balanced, but I am sorry you are wrong about the Barnard one. What about Broomes arms accross his chest then he back passes & the keeper picks it up? What about their free kick for the goal.

There were so many mistakes from the man in the pink - eventually as an individual who is passionate you get frustrated.

Lambert is fouled more than most & rarely goes over & gets next to nothing. For me their chap went over & he gave a pen. I dont think it was a pen, but I was miles away so will bow to the TV as & when I see it.

And if Puncheon & Lallana simply hugged the by line they would not score like JP did against Walsall & Huddersfield & AL did against AL.

Positives

Negatives

Be interesting to see where people were sat for the pen' claims.

I was to the right of the goal so was looking to my left for the Fonte foul and from where I was it did look as if he'd gone over via a defenders leg.

The LB foul was right in front of Corky & I and was the most blatant of two handed pushes that you'll ever see.

i have to admit that i didn;t really see the Barnard one, i looked up and saw his foot slighly flaiing so thought he had tried to win the pen so hold my hands up.

Yes the first goal was a questionable FK, but we wouldn't have minded getting that ourselves would we.

Also they really did their homework espcially with set pieces.

Every attacking free kick they had, they managed to pull all our players off the post and frequently geting something from the back post.

And in ref. to hugging the touchline, that may be the case but it won't work every game, becasue sometimes away from home you have to play counter attacking football. It wasn;t about AL and JP getting goals, more the fact they weren't suppling for Barnard and Lambert enoguh, the type of strkers who as we saw v Huddersfield, thrive off crosses

That referee was never going to give us a penalty, not a chance. Fonte went down too easily under the challenge, it wasn't a penalty but it shouldn't have been a yellow card either, if it was Seaborne who had gone down like that it wouldn't have been a yellow...

Barnards was a clear as day penalty, wasn't at all suprised that the referee didn't give it he was just shocking.

The ref had it in for us for whatever reason, can't believe Kelvin went the length of the pitch to shake his hand. I think everyone else refused and walked off.

Yorkie said 'We have a great squad, some fantatstic individuals and a great patient fan base.'

This, Alpine Saint, is what gives the right to criticise - Yorkie goes to matches & feels the reaction to the game of the fans watching both ours & theirs.

I think you live abroad so obviously don't get the chance to see many games - fair enough - I live 240 miles from St Marys & work often seven days a week but see probably 40-50% of matches (a mix of home & away) so I get to experience the highs & the lows when possible.

I suspect that you don't - maybe that's why most of your posts come across as negative or sniping...you even responded to this one because the cap seemed to fit even though no names were mentioned!

I'm a supporter which gives me certain blind spots in my life...I accept that my glasses are sometimes rose-coloured - I also reserve the right to have the odd go at my team, the one I've followed since they last played in this league.

To constantly whine, pick holes, post negative comments is not support - it's a depressive obsession that would be better attached to the bluephew down the road who deserve it.

What gives me the right to say this I hear your question forming? Supporter...look it up in the dictionary!

Rant over

Just seen their penalty on TV, what a bloody joke!!! The guy goes for a speculative overhead and fecks it up. Even he was shocked he got a penalty!!!

There was a stunned silence in our end and after watching it on iplayer it appears our gut instinct was correct. No pen'.

One of the lads I go with said during the 2nd half that the ref was going to make a big decision which would win/lose the game and whatever way the decision went, it would be wrong.

How right he was.

I think alpine makes a valid point.

If we want automatic promotion next season we have to learn to play against the poorer teams on pitches that resemble ploughed fields.

Next season we cannot drop points against relegation battlers

And the excuse for Exeter was ?

And the excuse for Brentford was ?

And the excuse for Wycombe was ?

Excuses, excuses, excuses....

Perhaps then you would like to give us your expert opinions of where Pardew went wrong in each of these games then Alps? Oh, I forgot, you weren't there were you?

Perhaps then you would like to give us your expert opinions of where Pardew went wrong in each of these games then Alps? Oh, I forgot, you weren't there were you?

Wow, as clear a case of pot,kettle, black as I have ever seen.

How many times have you made it from "Currently Maidstone" this season ?

Interesting watching that. Lallana's shot cleared off the line for the goal & that was never a pen. He fell over!!

Interesting they never showed the free kick & the 2 pen shouts for us & their first goal took a massive deflection & people are moaning about AP??????

I would have forgiven the sh*ttiness of the entire day if See'bo or Antonio had lumped that filthy scouse c*nt in the crowd who was holding on to the ball towards the end!

Oh god I forgot about that. He was a class a tosser! That was a VERY unfortunate pen looking at the replay. ARGH. Never mind.... :(

Once again dar old Alps, you don't get it do you. There is a marked difference in our posts and attitude. You are totally negative and constantly snipe at managers. I find this very strange as you don't actually see the matches and I wonder how you can form such angry and deep seated opinions from Austria. It doesn't matter where I live and how many matches I see live, I will always support the manager and the team as I appreciate that we are not Brazil and probably will never be world beaters. I hope for the best but I am not about to throw myself off a mountain if we lose, as we will.

Your brand of negativity is obsessive and I think you need to have a bit of a break and put your feet up. You sound like you are heading for a breakdown mate.

People like Geoge Burley and Alan Pardew are just blokes doing a job to the best of their ability, but you make it sound like they have a personal vendatta against you! I still remember that famous post you made a few years back where you accused Burley of going out of his way to scupper our promotions chances. Really?

I don't mind that you ignore my opinions, but Alps, perhaps you should open your eyes and see that many many people on here find your obsessive negativy is a bit odd and don't like it very much.

A fiver might not be a lot nowdays but if I want to be depressed I can get that for free by looking at my wage slip.

Interesting watching that. Lallana's shot cleared off the line for the goal & that was never a pen. He fell over!!

Interesting they never showed the free kick & the 2 pen shouts for us & their first goal took a massive deflection & people are moaning about AP??????

Yep Corky, because they need someone to blame when things go wrong. We had had many whipping boys and in recent times it has been Lowe and Burley, now its Pardew's turn.

Yep Corky, because they need someone to blame when things go wrong. We had had many whipping boys and in recent times it has been Lowe and Burley, now its Pardew's turn.

no one is a whipping boy....please do shut up

regards

TDD

oh..it wont take you long to turn on cortese..oh, you already did...nice one

Had an interesting pub crawl around Rock Ferry before the game which will stay in my memory for a while.

I woke up in a cold sweat during a nightmare about condemned houses and pubs that don't sell cask ale.

As for the game, I'm pretty much in agreement with you. We were the better side but failed to capitalise on possession. The referee was awful and failed to stop their lot pushing and pulling our big guns out of the game. I haven't seen the penalty decision on telly yet, but it looked unjustified. The foul on Fonte shortly after looked like a definite spot kick from where I was standing.

Another point, which I make after every away game I attend: Why do so many people travel such a long way, only to sit in silence for the whole game? I just don't get it. The football is poor and most of the towns we visit don't exactly yield a pleasant day out, so what do they get out of the experience? I'm not having a go, but if you're one of these people, feel free to answer.

Had a good night's sleep - we weren't as bad as we were against Exeter or Wycombe; we were comfortable for the majority of the game though we never really clicked in the final third.

The major positive was that Barnard had another good game. He worked tirelessly and showed good touch and vision when the ball was played on the floor to him.

Lallana and Punch had poor games - too erratic in their decision-making and distribution. We certainly lacked pace which is a weakness of the current XI- Tranmere played a very high line and were there for the taking. Think Pards bottled the subs with Papa/Antonio. Too little too late.

Like others say, the ref was totally out of his depth.Admittedly Fonte's pen shout at the end was dubious but we at least another one and Barnard was cynically brought checked/pushed outside their box before the ref handed the game to them on a plate. Perhaps because refs assume he's a big guy and the goals suggest that he can handle himself but the lack of protection being given Lambert is a worrying sign.

WTF with Harding. I just hope the three or four mysterious reasons are all variants on he was injured because its hard to see how bringing on Seaborne as LB was tactical. Leaving aside the pen that never was, the guy was repeatedly skinned in the position and Harding had done nothing wrong.

The surface was bare in places but at least it was true and even.Tranmere are a poor, poor side which brings us back to expectations. I don't see why anyone should focus on performances or what might have beens to deflect from the result. With all due respect, these are games that we should win. Time and time again we haven't.

Had a good night's sleep - we weren't as bad as we were against Exeter or Wycombe; we were comfortable for the majority of the game though we never really clicked in the final third.

The major positive was that Barnard had another good game. He worked tirelessly and showed good touch and vision when the ball was played on the floor to him.

Lallana and Punch had poor games - too erratic in their decision-making and distribution. We certainly lacked pace which is a weakness of the current XI- Tranmere played a very high line and were there for the taking. Think Pards bottled the subs with Papa/Antonio. Too little too late.

Like others say, the ref was totally out of his depth.Admittedly Fonte's pen shout at the end was dubious but we at least another one and Barnard was cynically brought checked/pushed outside their box before the ref handed the game to them on a plate. Perhaps because refs assume he's a big guy and the goals suggest that he can handle himself but the lack of protection being given Lambert is a worrying sign.

WTF with Harding. I just hope the three or four mysterious reasons are all variants on he was injured because its hard to see how bringing on Seaborne as LB was tactical. Leaving aside the pen that never was, the guy was repeatedly skinned in the position and Harding had done nothing wrong.

The surface was bare in places but at least it was true and even.Tranmere are a poor, poor side which brings us back to expectations. I don't see why anyone should focus on performances or what might have beens to deflect from the result. With all due respect, these are games that we should win. Time and time again we haven't.

Should win? Perhaps but we got a win at Norwich when most people would probably have felt that they should win that. It is the nature of sport and what makes sport so addictive.

I was at Tranmere yesterday and agree 100% that the referee was a cheating t0sser. He, more than anyone, was responsible for the defeat.

Fair play to Tranmere. They played to their strengths and created problems for Saints but their first goal was so predictable that in some ways it was, or should have been, our wake-up call. We still can't defend set pieces!

The pitch was perfectly playable so no excuses there.

Perhaps we can't handle the subdued atmosphere of some grounds. Despite Saints fans being there in good numbers it seemed really difficult to create a good atmosphere and keep songs going. The loudest and most consistent songs were aimed at the referee, which really sums up how dire it was.

Cracked up at the Tranmere fan who went to offer the ball to a Saints player for a throw-in and subsequently bounced it away from him. Such petulance!! The old bill had him straight out.

Overall a poor result but a cracking day out. Respect to Ozan and the other Irish Saints we met in O'Neills in Liverpool.

Well done to all other Saints fans who made the journey.

(Apologies - posted originally in the post match thread)

FWIW I don't mind you whinging and moaning to your heart's content but please keep it off the 'Just back from the game' thread. It's called that for a reason, and it's why I usually enjoy reading it. You weren't there and neither was I.

"Currently Kabul".

Should win? Perhaps but we got a win at Norwich when most people would probably have felt that they should win that. It is the nature of sport and what makes sport so addictive.

Absolutely agree- nothing is more addictive (and agonising) than sport's unpredictability. Its also character-changing - i bet anyone who follows sport seriously, esp anyone who supports a team like Saints is also a very different person for doing so. Lets just say I've learnt not to assume or extrapolate too much as sh*t can always ambush you. Some people might call it toughminded humility; others might call it spineless fatalism ;)

Still 8 draws on the road, almost half our away games, the most in the league. Even if no game is the same - that strikes me predictable and predictable for all the wrong reasons.

I would have forgiven the sh*ttiness of the entire day if See'bo or Antonio had lumped that filthy scouse c*nt in the crowd who was holding on to the ball towards the end!

They could have made themselves a hero right there. Infact I'd probably have Antonio's name on the back of my shirt if he had nutted the scouse ****.

Another point, which I make after every away game I attend: Why do so many people travel such a long way, only to sit in silence for the whole game? I just don't get it. The football is poor and most of the towns we visit don't exactly yield a pleasant day out, so what do they get out of the experience? I'm not having a go, but if you're one of these people, feel free to answer.
Been to lots of away games this season and enjoy it immensely without feeling the need to sing and shout my head off. I did all that when I was younger - now it is not my bag. I enjoy listening and taking it all in (like I will at Wembley) but don't particularly enjoy participating - that is all ;-) I think the last time I sang and shouted through most of a game was at Goodison Park - we lost 7-1.

They could have made themselves a hero right there. Infact I'd probably have Antonio's name on the back of my shirt if he had nutted the scouse ****.

Ha ha. You would possibly have become the first person in history to get a loan player's name on a shirt. Completely justifiable though, had he done the necessary.

Most games in L1 aren't played at sufficiently high-tempo to get fans involved. They're way too scrappy and disjointed. Doesn't help that home fans are nowhere to be seen or heard. CCC games are much more absorbing in both respects.