Expat Saints "Fans"...

Guided Missile

Mods: How ever much you often let certain people flout the

"DO NOT deliberately start arguments. This is known as "trolling". It is usually very easy to spot, and offending threads will be locked or deleted. "

rule I still ain't paying a fiver just to get an .

In this case I guess it wasn't very 'easy to spot' as you've keep the thread open.

Sad post. He definitely is grappling with some kind of issue because we've seen this kind of thing from him before. But that's his problem.

Me? I wouldn't change my life over here and it's one of the best things we ever did. Do we miss England, the Saints, friends and family and some other stuff? Damn right. Is it great to come back every so often? You bet - love it. Could we live there again? I doubt it very much. Are we still proud of being Brits? Absolutely.

I've noticed that there are some tiny minds on here who seem to hold it against us that we went to live somewhere else.

Their views, and the way in which they express them, usually say much more about them than they do about us.

I could have written that myself. My long term planning includes longer visits to UK in years to come after my retirement.

One thing you can say about GM apart from the obvious is that he really knows how to get a reaction.

I was an ex pat but have since moved back but at the time the only thing I missed about the UK was my team. This site and the previous was a god send and kept me in touch with what was happening and what the fans where thinking and saying including the same old provocative GM rants back then.

Do we miss England, the Saints, friends and family and some other stuff? Damn right. Is it great to come back every so often? You bet - love it. Could we live there again? I doubt it very much. Are we still proud of being Brits? Absolutely.

1. Last of the Summer Wine
    Usually post in glowing terms about days gone by, trying hard to recapture the glory days, back in the mother country. About as entertaining to read as the TV show of the same name, and also about as relevant, to the fans streaming into St. Marys nowadays. Keep it up guys, I think you know who you are, but don't blame me if I think of Compo, when I read your posts. Let's face it, nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Reading your post just confirms my point. Boring and irrelevant to the fans streaming into St. Marys nowadays. The nostalgia part cemented the impression, in my mind.

I lived in the US for 11 years and hated the way most of the ex-pats continually moaned about the UK and yet, given the opportunity, milked any patriotic situation in a frenzy of flag waving nostalgia. Emigrate, integrate and adopt the local customs, because banging on about how cr@ p/great everything is in your adopted country and how cr@ p/great everything was in your mother country just p1sses most people off.

Reading your post just confirms my point. Boring and irrelevant to the fans streaming into St. Marys nowadays. The nostalgia part cemented the impression, in my mind.

I lived in the US for 11 years and hated the way most of the ex-pats continually moaned about the UK and yet, given the opportunity, milked any patriotic situation in a frenzy of flag waving nostalgia. Emigrate, integrate and adopt the local customs, because banging on about how cr@ p/great everything is in your adopted country and how cr@ p/great everything was in your mother country just p1sses most people off.

Can't see how the post confirmed your point at all.

You made a ridiculous thread and someone answered in relation to that particular post.

Seriously after ALL the comments - none of which backed your view - you still think you are right :rolleyes:

So far can only see that MOST people are p@ssed off with your ridiculous post !

Seriously after ALL the comments - none of which backed your view - you still think you are right :rolleyes:

So far can only see that MOST people are p@ssed off with your ridiculous post !

I'd hardly thought that a very mild thread about ex-pats would be backed by the target of my thread, nor indeed cared. I am able to recognise them, because they wear their ex-pat status as some badge of honour, in the form of their internet handles. You know, alpine this, tijuana that, canada blah, dubai blah, internet poster of arabia...

Listen lads, it's great you post, but you left the city, you left the country and your names signify where you're at, value wise. It just happens to needle me slightly when I read the regular criticisms of our club, city and country from someone tapping a computer many miles away. I just don't feel the need to provide the small feeling of belonging your local sporting institution fails to bring you...

...sorry and all that. I mean, it's not like we have any real form of relationship...

GM, I usually really like your posts, but I think this one has gone a bit far. I do agree that a lot of the posters on here that complain a lot do suffer from a lack of proximity to Southampton, but I don't know whether this proximity means they are more vocal. Does Scotland also count as exiled? I think it helps being in the Southampton area though, the city does feel happier, and perhaps due to the fact that they are missing out on this it means that they still have the mentality that we had when Lowe was here, which makes everything look like the glass is half full?

This does seem unusually inflammatory to me though.

I dont see the big deal with this thread, tbh.

What Johnny spectacualrly fails to see, is that following the fortunes of SFC are actually in some way even more important to ex-pats, because the club represents one of the few links left.

When a local lad goes to the game, at least he can say he got ****ed, had a laff with his mates, ate 10 pies and had a fight. All we've got are the results, the teams progress and the standing of the club within the game. There are no consolations when you follow a team from afar.

Why does emgirating mean we have to turn our back on our ENTIRE past lives ? I have very happy memories of Southampton. I've emigrated because it was best for the long-term fortunes (FUTURE) of my family.

What Johnny spectacualrly fails to see, is that following the fortunes of SFC are actually in some way even more important to ex-pats, because the club represents one of the few links left.

When a local lad goes to the game, at least he can say he got ****ed, had a laff with his mates, ate 10 pies and had a fight. All we've got are the results, the teams progress and the standing of the club within the game. There are no consolations when you follow a team from afar.

Why does emgirating mean we have to turn our back on our ENTIRE past lives ? I have very happy memories of Southampton. I've emigrated because it was best for the long-term fortunes (FUTURE) of my family.

Well said, sir.

I've lived all over the shop but still followed the mighty Saints. I'm now in a position to watch them regularly again, but that may change.

Enjoy it however you can!

GM, what a shallow person you are, despite your pseudo-intellectual and rather embarrassing attempts to be a wise observer.

That was a pitiful attempt to justify what everyone has told you was a thoroughly ignorant post.

I haven't heard anyone on here (and nor are there ex-pats in my circle of friends) who:

... continually moan about the UK and yet, given the opportunity, milk any patriotic situation in a frenzy of flag waving nostalgia.

The vast majority of us, without the need for any 'advice' from you, have managed to "Emigrate, integrate and adopt the local customs" and yet still be proud and fond of our heritage and all that goes with it - people, places, events and so on.

We do this not because:

banging on about how cr@ p/great everything is in your adopted country and how cr@ p/great everything was in your mother country just p1sses most people off

but because it was right and easy. We gained some things, we lost some things, but mostly we're very happy. We have people, places and events here as well.

You were the only one "banging on". The topic obviously has some very bare nerve ends attached in your personal life, and there's the clue:

I lived in the US for 11 years ....

People on the thread have wondered what triggered your jaundiced little post, and there it is. Just because you screwed up a key phase of your life, for reasons I can well understand without even meeting you, don't assume that others made the same mistake.

BTW, you've yet to answer the very valid questions about whether your bile also applies to people who have moved to other parts of the UK and still support the Saints. Are their views also invalid because they don't live in the area and don't go to games? That's the problem with shallow people - their thought processes are shallow.

You need to take a long hard look in the mirror before you post sh!t like this. And not to remind yourself of your own superiority. Quite the reverse.

Perhaps I should sign this "Moose Boy" - as you once dubbed me in another of your pieces of nasty crap with rather scary undertones. :rolleyes:

I don't see what's so funny. This season has been a complete disaster. I'd imagine every other League One club is laughing at us right now.

Oh no, wait. They're all tipping us for the title next year.

It's completely unacceptable though.

I mean we might be showing top 2 form or something (I haven't bothered to look, I stand by my opinion regardless of the facts) but I expect nothing less than complete perfection. If something is not perfect it is evidence of a deep-rooted and fatal failure of some sort or other. Maybe sports psychology, maybe fitness, maybe lack of ambition (again, it doesn't matter whether there is any evidence for this or not, I stand by it regardless). It just depresses me that the world is so full of non-perfect sports teams. I look at Leeds, who overcame adversity and points deductions to be promoted at the first attempt (again, don't let anyone tell you otherwise) and I think "why can't we do that"? Why must we build a squad who occasionally doesn't win away? Why can't we just do what all the other teams do and win every match? Why?

I mean we might be showing top 2 form or something (I haven't bothered to look, I stand by my opinion regardless of the facts) but I expect nothing less than complete perfection. If something is not perfect it is evidence of a deep-rooted and fatal failure of some sort or other. Maybe sports psychology, maybe fitness, maybe lack of ambition (again, it doesn't matter whether there is any evidence for this or not, I stand by it regardless). It just depresses me that the world is so full of non-perfect sports teams. I look at Leeds, who overcame adversity and points deductions to be promoted at the first attempt (again, don't let anyone tell you otherwise) and I think "why can't we do that"? Why must we build a squad who occasionally doesn't win away? Why can't we just do what all the other teams do and win every match? Why?

Some would say it's because the teams we are playing want to win as well, but I think that's rubbish.

I still feel happy about the formative years I spent in Hampshire. I'm more than happy living where I am in exile. Even happier that Saints are back getting good results. I don't really give a toss what 'the missile' thinks.

See ? Again, a total lack of respect shown for other opinions, expressed in heavy sarcasm, yet I get lectured about my conduct.

Oh, that's alright then. Screw Markus's money...

So instead of debating the point that other teams fans in this league (including Huddersfield, Leeds, Norwich and Swindon) think we have got a fantastic squad and are certainties for promotion next season, you dismiss it with sarcasm. :cool:

So instead of debating the point that other teams fans in this league (including Huddersfield, Leeds, Norwich and Swindon) think we have got a fantastic squad and are certainties for promotion next season, you dismiss it with sarcasm. :cool:

Unbelievable. Amazing. And I get called a WUM. Are you self-aware ?

My comment about "Markus's Money" was sparked by stupid sarcasm from YOU. Why should I have answered it with the respect you had already decided not to accord me ?

See ? Again, a total lack of respect shown for other opinions, expressed in heavy sarcasm, yet I get lectured about my conduct.

Feel free to report the posts like you usually do.

If you use hyperbole to describe things you will get a more extreme reaction. Using a term that implies something has gone badly wrong about a season which most feel very happy with is liable to be regarded as hyperbole. No one's disputing your right to be so hysterical. Long may it continue.

Listen lads, it's great you post, but you left the city, you left the country and your names signify where you're at, value wise. It just happens to needle me slightly when I read the regular criticisms of our club, city and country from someone tapping a computer many miles away. I just don't feel the need to provide the small feeling of belonging your local sporting institution fails to bring you...

...sorry and all that. I mean, it's not like we have any real form of relationship...

So according to your logic anyone who has left the city is not entitled to hold opinions or post?

Does this mean the Saints fans who were born and grew up and still live in Salisbury are inferior? that they should not post? that they should not find a community through this forum?

Have you EVER read the Lounge or Muppet Show? Discussion, criticism and attacks at every day life in the UK or in "YOUR city? Who are the main posters in these threads? Nasty foreigners from the likes of Romsey and Chandlers Ford. What about all those NASTY PEOPLE who drive cars to SMS and were complaining about YOUR council being nasty and charging for Parking on Boxing Day? Isn't THAT criticism of YOUR city?

GM, there is a very simple answer if you don't like the forum go and play on Saintslist or use the ignore button. If you want to make personal attacks on the positions taken by individual posters then be brave enough to do that.

But hiding behind this racist drivel....

You come across as a poor man's Enoch Powell

Very sad

How close to SMS do you have to live in order for your opinion to be valid? Maybe only if you are born and still live within the sound of St Mary's church bells? That must be - ooh - 200 people?

I live in Sussex, have young kids and only see around 6 games a year. I dont comment on performances from games I havent seen, but maybe I'm not qualified to have an opinion on anything else either.

And, to be fair, you haven't changed your overall style since you moved away.

Some ignore it, some get annoyed by it, some understand you pay yer fiver you can play whatever internet persona you wish

GM you do post a lot of sense at times, but this thread I fail to see the point of. I Live in the Stockport area, & due to finances & lack of time I can no longer support Saints as I'd like to. But that does not mean I care any less for Saints than I did when I went on a regular basis (season ticket etcetera). One day again I hope to be in a position to be able to come again on a more regular basis. Until then I will come on this forum to give and seek an opinion on what I can glean from the many media sources open to me. I thought we were one big Saints Family. Now if you look on the just back from the game thread, there are differing opinions to decisions on that from people who went go to the game. This has happened for time immemorial, even sitting watching a game in a pub with your mates there are always differing sets of opinions, the difference is on here it leads to petty abuse.

So I suggest that if someone post a nostalgia thread, about a particular game or cup run etcetera then if upsets you that much you just ignore the post.

For us who live away from the area or ex-pats then this is usually a good source of information for us, & a good way to still feel part of the Saints Family.

If you feel this falls into your categories then I plead guilty. However I don't wish to dwell on the past but more look towards a bright new future for the club & its supporters, that includes everyone who is a Saint no matter where they're from.

:D:D:D

I would really have preferred to live and work around Southampton and Winchester for the rest of my life. Didn't work out that way.

I had 8 or so years seeing saints at the Dell, and these were really great years (85ish onwards). (ok, so alot involved Branfoot)

Every time you have to say which team you support in England, it's hard enough being a Saints fan. Imagine how hard it is to explain the entire sport, league structure, your relative position to ManU and Liverpool, and then explain where the hell you come from (is it near Turkey?).

So don't diss the diaspora, GM, it would be a great deal easier to support Chelsea/Liverpool/Manu, but we don't do we? We scratch around for You Tube high;ights and are amazed if here's ever a mention of Saints in our daily lives.

This entitlees us expats to 'a say'

Personally, I went to primary school in Milton Road opposite the Dell and I have always been and forever will be Red and White. Till I die.

I have traveled the world and choose to live in W Australia. That is my choice and in my view makes me no less a Saints fan.

Guided Missile seems to consider himself superior to Ex-Pat Saints fans. How sad. He seems to be lacking something in his personal life to criticize those who choose to go their own way.

I wonder what his personal circumstances are? Mid thirties? Fat? Dead end job? Still living at home with Mum and Dad? Never had a girlfriend?

Sad

Get a life missile

I honestly did not feel particularly attacked by the first post on this thread from GM and the criticism fairly mild, so a bit surprised at the reaction. Don't really see myself in either group he outlined but for me that’s a fair point to debate as is the point of the forum.

For what its worth GM, its true I love living outside the UK, but I love supporting the Saints more. I think when I (rarely) post I try to be balanced. Moving overseas has not changed how I have ever felt about the Saints and I guess that’s the same for most expats. Maybe we feel sometimes the need to wear our club allegiance a bit more, but that’s usually because it helps us to feel rooted from where we came.

As such I think your views are off the mark this time, when it comes to your thoughts on expats.

I put my location in my username as it was the first thing that came to mind, as many posters on here do, even those in or close to Southampton.

Personally, I went to primary school in Milton Road opposite the Dell and I have always been and forever will be Red and White. Till I die.

I have traveled the world and choose to live in W Australia. That is my choice and in my view makes me no less a Saints fan.

Guided Missile seems to consider himself superior to Ex-Pat Saints fans. How sad. He seems to be lacking something in his personal life to criticize those who choose to go their own way.

I wonder what his personal circumstances are? Mid thirties? Fat? Dead end job? Still living at home with Mum and Dad? Never had a girlfriend?

Sad

Get a life missile

I think he is about 75 years young.........Always used to play his football.. like it as well:smt026

I wondered why I was stopped at border control for passport checks, when entering Southampton on match days....

I am sure Devon is still in the EU:D

Absolutely right!

But hiding behind this racist drivel....

You come across as a poor man's Enoch Powell

Very sad

Phil, I don't know you, but I think you may have spent a little bit too much time in the sun, or behind a computer screen to think there is a personal element to the posts. I'll give you a hint. These aren't real life relationships. Guided Missile isn't my real name and I type opinions on a public forum, as a minor hobby. That's it really. Feel free to construct some sort of personal element to this, if it helps you get through the day, miles away from home. Even totally overreact and call me a racist (ROFL). If I was you I'd would spend a bit more time building a real social network at home in Dubai, than venting your spleen against a poster named "Guided Missile". As would a few more of the expats on here. (Moose Boy, you know who I'm talking about) It might help their attitude...

Oh God, Scooby's back and he's got hold of GM's account.

Phil, I don't know you, but I think you may have spent a little bit too much time in the sun, or behind a computer screen to think there is a personal element to the posts. I'll give you a hint. These aren't real life relationships. Guided Missile isn't my real name and I type opinions on a public forum, as a minor hobby. That's it really. Feel free to construct some sort of personal element to this, if it helps you get through the day, miles away from home. Even totally overreact and call me a racist (ROFL). If I was you I'd would spend a bit more time building a real social network at home in Dubai, than venting your spleen against a poster named "Guided Missile". As would a few more of the expats on here. (Moose Boy, you know who I'm talking about) It might help their attitude...

That sums you up completely. You post obnoxious comments and then criticize people for having the nerve to take issue with you about them. Of course, you didn't actually think about their responses because you were too busy trying to justify the junk you posted in the first place. So, in your world you can "type opinions on a public forum, as a minor hobby" but they can't because they come from somewhere else? The ignorance, arrogance, hypocrisy and bigotry are there for all to see - well, everyone except you.

And you still haven't explained the geographic parameters around your sad little prejudices. Good luck with that one.

A less justified superiority complex would be hard to find. LOL.