Another manager with questionable ambition ?

alpine_saint

Spot on assessment from AP I think. Can't fault any of the logic, understand Alps point but to be fair he is talking about success, he is building a team to get into the Premiership in 5 years. Whether he stays League 1 and builds a winning mentality gradually or we would go up this season and then dent our confidence too early in the CCC I dont know, but AP only fails if we are not in the Premier League in 5 years time IMHO.

He's talking sense in the article. Good expectation management. Considering the alternative was Wotte, kids, Lowe and relegation to League 2 I am pretty happy with APs performance to be honest.

Still, you can always console yourself by WRITING words in capitals EVERY so often.

I certainly can

I just hope that you are still as happy when we are trolling around Division One again NEXT season, with the same old results on the same old ploughed fields

WAS THAT OK ???:D:rolleyes:

From the attitude of some fans to a defeat after two 5 goal hammerings, perhaps it's the fans who need another season of playing League 1 teams to build a winning attitude rather than the players.

I certianly don't think I can stomach a season of "This was supposed to be a Championship side AP built. Why are we mid-table? Is relegation on the cards? How will NC react? Of course I told you we should have bought a new in he summer - sort it out AP..."

From the attitude of some fans to a defeat after two 5 goal hammerings, perhaps it's the fans who need another season of playing League 1 teams to build a winning attitude rather than the players.

I certianly don't think I can stomach a season of "This was supposed to be a Championship side AP built. Why are we mid-table? Is relegation on the cards? How will NC react? Of course I told you we should have bought a new in he summer - sort it out AP..."

Are they not all valid topics of discussion ?

Jesus, it seems in some peoples mind, being the supporter of a club means being intolerant of and trying to suppress all criticism or dissent.

Jesus, it seems in some peoples mind, being the supporter of a club means being intolerant of and trying to suppress all criticism or dissent.

So you are a better 'supporter' than anyone else because you do nothing but moan and criticise? Do me a favour

So you are a better 'supporter' than anyone else because you do nothing but moan and criticise? Do me a favour

exacto mundo... suppress it its all we ever hear!!

The dullards who criticise everything make me laugh...most of them never even watch the team....

Rehashed, 3rd hand crap most of it...

Thank fck i dont have to sit next to them....

What is it about some Saints fans that think it is okay to be relaxed about making the playoffs this season?

The ones that believe next year will somehow be easier and that we will stroll the JPT.

Any team needs momentumn to get promoted and to consistently drop points to with respect teams we should beat yet win against the top ten shows that there is no lack of football ability but a lack of mental strength.

To drop the odd point is understandable but to squander a chance of getting to the playoffs because we can't beat Tramere or Exeter is a just plain foolish that might cost us dear.

Cue Saints fans saying well that's the Saints for you. No it doesnt have to be like that.

I defy anyone to explain how you find it acceptable to see us drop points to teams that on paper you would place a bet we could beat. Not just once but several times.

There is a window of time to get promoted or we will lose certain players and begin to believe we are a League 1 club to stay.

AP is a competent manager, has had money and needs time ,but he has no fire and he should look over his shoulder as the "management" have ambitions and some of the Saints fans do too.

Sorry alpine, but how is this whole thread "valid criticism"? Pardew gave a reasoned, balanced assessment of where we are as a club. We effectively started from scratch this season, to with a shout of the playoffs is an achievement and perhaps, for the long term, going up next year as a team that has had a year together and goes up with silverware rather than sneaking into the playoffs, is the better option..

Quite frankly how people on here expect instant success when bar 3 players this is a completely different team that finished last season, is beyond me...

Championship manager and Fantasy football have a lot to answer for...

What is it about some Saints fans that think it is okay to be relaxed about making the playoffs this season?

The ones that believe next year will somehow be easier and that we will stroll the JPT.

Any team needs momentumn to get promoted and to consistently drop points to with respect teams we should beat yet win against the top ten shows that there is no lack of football ability but a lack of mental strength.

To drop the odd point is understandable but to squander a chance of getting to the playoffs because we can't beat Tramere or Exeter is a just plain foolish that might cost us dear.

Cue Saints fans saying well that's the Saints for you. No it doesnt have to be like that.

I defy anyone to explain how you find it acceptable to see us drop points to teams that on paper you would place a bet we could beat. Not just once but several times.

There is a window of time to get promoted or we will lose certain players and begin to believe we are a League 1 club to stay.

AP is a competent manager, has had money and needs time ,but he has no fire and he should look over his shoulder as the "management" have ambitions and some of the Saints fans do too.

Good post

If you are trying to say our form since the turn of the year isn't good enough then you are mental.

Who was suppressing criticism or dissent? You posted a view and I responded to it. If you can't put up with people disagreeing with your point of view; if your posts are so precious that you can't put up with people telling you what they think of your point of view; then maybe a public forum is not for you.

Dear oh dear.

I think the message I got from reading this in the Echo was negative and unambitious. Others have seen the full interview and think otherwise. Fine, I can accept that. A pity the pathetic footstamping that goes on in this place nowadays if you dont predict crushing victories every time and question anything.

Mods, do us all a favour and lock this thread.

Go on then, show us.

NickG did a good job of backing up his point, now you do it.

Excellent post.

Blasphemous, of course...

Spot on assessment from AP I think. Can't fault any of the logic, understand Alps point but to be fair he is talking about success, he is building a team to get into the Premiership in 5 years. Whether he stays League 1 and builds a winning mentality gradually or we would go up this season and then dent our confidence too early in the CCC I dont know, but AP only fails if we are not in the Premier League in 5 years time IMHO.

He's talking sense in the article. Good expectation management. Considering the alternative was Wotte, kids, Lowe and relegation to League 2 I am pretty happy with APs performance to be honest.

100% agree. I think its opnly natural that when we show a bit of form and hand out 5-1, and 5-0 thrashings, that there is dissapointment when we dont get the result, but we should remember that its about the long term and the progress we have made is pretty solid and clear to see, and that for me is teh mostimportant thing so far.

I dont necessarily disagree with the sentiments, but the reality is that all sides do lose now and again in unexpected results... and this is a side that we know still has a bit to do in term sof getting consistent results - and even then do we expect to go through a season without any defeats? - we should remember that the 2-3 defeat we are likely to get until the end of the season are not what is the real problem... that was the the first 12 games or so that have left us with too much to do..

... its ironic that given the constand problems associated with the club because of the hire em fire em that lOwe was in to, and everyone criticised, that some are not prpared to give a manager the time to make it right?