Another manager with questionable ambition ?

alpine_saint

So AP gives a very balanced interview, which he states that he believes that it is still possible to get to the play-off's. But also puts a sensible side to that by not over hyping the still Very slim hopes of getting to the play-off's (which we would still need to win). Now I think we've left to much to do, but I could also be wrong & would be happy to be wrong. Also If we keep this side together with maybe a couple of new faces in the summer, then a 7th position finish, & a JPT final win would have been a successful season, and an exciting season to come next year with Automatic a must for AP.

I see nothing negative in this interview & to try to make this anything other than a balanced sensible interview is just plainly wrong!

The ambition is shown in what he actually does, not in just what he says.

Pardew's ambition is evident with what he has done in developing his team and improving the situation at the club.

He is doing a fantastic job. Why do people insist on looking for negativity?

Clever post, that. Trying to invalidate any response I might try to offer by anticipating it and dismissing it in advance. Quite a trick they taught you on that course at the University of Some Old Polytechnic whilst going over old episodes of Rumpole of the Bailey....

So I'll do us both the favour of simply not bothering.

And you did exactly as anticipated! These insults to my education are not only factually wrong but really quite weak...

But to be expected when you know that i've harpooned your paper thin internet persona once again...

The way you talk of my education one would think you went to Oxford or Cambridge. And yet you're plainly not very bright. Yet another contradiction in the weird and wonderful world of alpine_saint.

There is no lack of ambition in that article, Pardew talks sense IMO.

Also why do people think that what Pardew says to the paper is the same as what he says to the players. Managers since the dawn of time have played down expectations in the press to take pressure of their players.

You are right Alpine, its just me who finds you a strange man who takes great joy in slagging off our players and manager.

Why don't you give it a break. you moaning git. Take up watching avalanches or something.

Think the article is a bit more balanced then you are trying to make out

"He said: “I want to get in the play-offs and I feel this team can get promoted – there is no doubt in my mind about that. "

Fair comment surely ? I'd call that ambitous wouldn't you ?

Or maybe he is just being realistic like yourself?

And your point is?

Sometimes you make a good point, on other ocassions you are a complete troll.

I think that AP is spot on. I think that some fans have "questionable ambition". At the beginning if this season, most people said that with the 10 point deduction, they would be happy with a mid-table position and a team built for promotion next season. Instead, we have a Wembley final, an outside chance of the play-offs, and probably the best squad in our division, and this is still not enough for some people. Anyone remember what happened to Derby when they were promoted before they were ready?? Let`s enjoy what we HAVE achieved and look forward to next season. It should be a cracker!!

So why do you?

I can see where your coming from but I thought the article was very good TBH and positive.

alpine i dont see what the problem is,he gives hes reasoning further on and sounds fine by me,get over it

its a shame some of your previous posts didnt follow the same logic.

No, just another thread with an unquestionably flawed premise.

why don't you and Glasgow go and support Man Utd with the otrher glory hunters who want nothing but instant success, you could even go down the road!

Anyone spot the contradiction here? Of course you'll say as a fan you're allowed to express opinions of a negative nature whereas Pardew should not.

Anyway didn't you give up on the playoffs after the Exeter game? Surely anything close to playoff position would be a bonus for you?

I dont know the merits of calling any saints fan a glory hunter, but seriously get a grip. I think any one with more than a single brain cell and any resemblance of an understanding of reality would have taken the season we have had.

A trip to Wembley and still a chance (albeit an outside one) of a play-off place. Most Importantly Pardew (unquestionably the right man for the job - ignore what stupid fans who seem to think we should be top of the league think, just look at what other managers and fans think he has done) has built a team that many think (myself included) could challenge in the league above.

Players have come here as they see this as a club pushing for a bright future. Players seen as the top players in both this division and that above have turned down other moves to come here. When in our recent history has that ever happened?

So to reiterate my initial point. Get a grip.

I can't see how anywhere in that interview he shows questionable ambition, it is a tough tough ask to make up that ground, he would be mental to turn around and say ok, we are not going to make it or to say we definately are.

He is saying that if we perform like this to the end of the season then ok, that will be a good effort.

Besides, he said earlier in the season that he was going for it but we had some poor results around christmas time. Therefore i see nothing wrong with what he said.

If we play like this until the end and don't make it i will be chuffed and expectant next year, if we do make it that would be amazing.

Oh and cheers for gingeletiss for once again adding absolutely nothing to another thread.

To be fare I think Alpine posts half of these just to get a reaction.

The whole interview is on saints player. Pardew says it wouldn't do the young players any harm to have another 12 months winning matches. Then we we go up, we not only have players a year older, we have players with 18 months of winning games behind them. He talks about momentum and I for one agree with him.

same old alpine always moaning.

Alpine the walking contradiction. You're so painfully transparent it's unbelievable. Twisting the argument to suit your own needs as ever. Your "need" of course being the need to undermine the current manager of SFC.

I always find it interesting to go back to this thread from October last year:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=463462#post463462

Amazing how quickly one can change their tune. Or maybe you are just so thick that you change your opinions on Saints based on the last two games form? This was after ten league games after all where we'd got off to a shocker. But now you staunchly believe we should be firing our way into the play-offs off the back of two impressive wins!

Now before you try wriggling of the hook using the excuse of "that was before we'd spent a wedge of money on players in January window" please try to remember we'd already signed Lambert, Jaidi, Harding, Papa Waigo and Hammond by this stage so it was pretty obvious the ambition was there and further spending was on the cards

Cue "media stoodent" retort or mock indignation...

Old school or pre-school? AP is actualy being very positive, unlike you Alps. We have zero chance of making the play-offs this season, any chance evaporated during the Exeter game. People who still cling on to this myth that we can make it are in cloud cuckoo land, at least AP has not given up and is still pushing for it (seems clear to me deep down that he knows the chances are slim at best).

It would be good if you would stop slagging AP off at every opportunity. You were right with Burley, but you are so far wide of the mark with AP.

Can't believe I wasted my time reading this thread. It's pretty sad if you have to resort to starting attention seeking threads on an internet message board.

So AP gives a very balanced interview, which he states that he believes that it is still possible to get to the play-off's. But also puts a sensible side to that by not over hyping the still Very slim hopes of getting to the play-off's (which we would still need to win). Now I think we've left to much to do, but I could also be wrong & would be happy to be wrong. Also If we keep this side together with maybe a couple of new faces in the summer, then a 7th position finish, & a JPT final win would have been a successful season, and an exciting season to come next year with Automatic a must for AP.

I see nothing negative in this interview & to try to make this anything other than a balanced sensible interview is just plainly wrong!

>> it's not odd at all you just LOVE moaning about AP & it's been a bit harder to do so last few days so been driven to Nit Picking

There is no lack of ambition in that article, Pardew talks sense IMO.

Also why do people think that what Pardew says to the paper is the same as what he says to the players. Managers since the dawn of time have played down expectations in the press to take pressure of their players.

You are right Alpine, its just me who finds you a strange man who takes great joy in slagging off our players and manager.

Dear oh dear.

I think the message I got from reading this in the Echo was negative and unambitious. Others have seen the full interview and think otherwise. Fine, I can accept that. A pity the pathetic footstamping that goes on in this place nowadays if you dont predict crushing victories every time and question anything.

Mods, do us all a favour and lock this thread.

Dear oh dear.

I think the message I got from reading this in the Echo was negative and unambitious. Others have seen the full interview and think otherwise. Fine, I can accept that. A pity the pathetic footstamping that goes on in this place nowadays if you dont predict crushing victories every time and question anything.

Mods, do us all a favour and ban me.

no, just be more balanced.

Clever post, that. Trying to invalidate any response I might try to offer by anticipating it and dismissing it in advance. Quite a trick they taught you on that course at the University of Some Old Polytechnic whilst going over old episodes of Rumpole of the Bailey....

So I'll do us both the favour of simply not bothering.

Wow. And you accuse me of arrogance.

No good team has ever lost to Tranmere. Pardew out.

FFS Pardew out, Cortese out, Liebherr out.

No ambition. Poor Management. Poor players.

Im going to start another thread to grumble and moan then slit my wrists and jump off a mountain...

I agree with alpine_saint. For us ex-pats who don't get to see games, there really isn't anything great to look forward to about a fantastic season ahead starting on 0 points and completely destroying everyone in the league, after a season of gelling. As me and alps don't get to see games, we won't get to enjoy next season so the only thing left for us is criticising from afar. I think it is pretty unfair of all you Saints fans who actually see the games to treat the likes of me and alps like this. We are only getting what enjoyment we can out of the game of football. If that enjoyment is from petty whinging and moaning, let us have that. Let us have that, at least. You enjoy your informed opinions and non-obsessive enjoyment of the game; we need something to grasp hold of from afar. It's not our fault that we couldn't make friends anywhere so we had to move countries to find some. You lot are heartless sometimes. Think before you post. Please.

Saints are ****.

I agree with alpine_saint. For us ex-pats who don't get to see games, there really isn't anything great to look forward to about a fantastic season ahead starting on 0 points and completely destroying everyone in the league, after a season of gelling. As me and alps don't get to see games, we won't get to enjoy next season so the only thing left for us is criticising from afar. I think it is pretty unfair of all you Saints fans who actually see the games to treat the likes of me and alps like this. We are only getting what enjoyment we can out of the game of football. If that enjoyment is from petty whinging and moaning, let us have that. Let us have that, at least. You enjoy your informed opinions and non-obsessive enjoyment of the game; we need something to grasp hold of from afar. It's not our fault that we couldn't make friends anywhere so we had to move countries to find some. You lot are heartless sometimes. Think before you post. Please.

Saints are ****.

He says think before you post...

then posts that line....idiot

Another poster with less than realistic goals?

I really don't care if we make the play offs this year, and never did. For a long time people were saying we were only 15 points from the playoffs, yes, and we are only 12 points from relegation. It is all a matter of perspective.

Personally, I would be happy if we didn't get promoted, but I would be almightly ****ed off if we didn't storm the league next season.

Remember, Alpine, one must first learnt to walk. For without walking, how can one expect to run and fly?

I can see where AP is coming from and agree but I'm surprised he's being so philisophical about it - I thought he was bashing win win win, never give up attitude into the players when he arrived, even putting up motivational posting around Satplewood

blind single minded ambition makes Alpine a generally angry person it would seem - I'll stick with my happy ambition

Another pointless thread by someone who just doesn't get it.

Both Burley and Pardew are realists and have forgotten more about the game than some of the drama seeking attention wh*res here will ever know.

Both have managed to get clubs promoted whereas there are some here who can't even manage a coherent arguement!

Another pointless thread by someone who just doesn't get it.

Both Burley and Pardew are realists and have forgotten more about the game than some of the drama seeking attention wh*res here will ever know.

Both have managed to get clubs promoted whereas there are some here who can't even manage a coherent arguement!

Ah, so because I dont share your facile, anodyne, zero-ambition, zero-expectation perspective, means I "dont get it".

Riiiighty-ho....:rolleyes:

Ah, so because I dont share your facile, anodyne, zero-ambition, zero-expectation perspective, means I "dont get it".

Every single person, without fail, is EXPECTING promotion next season. EXPECTING. If we don't go up, Pardew should go.

The world is not split into people with ambition (who want success right away) and people with no ambition (who are prepared to wait).

No you don't get it. And judging by people's responses to your posts yesterday and today most other people here seem to think you don't get it either.

By the way, could you explain what you mean by NorthernMonkeyLand please?

Every single person, without fail, is EXPECTING promotion next season. EXPECTING. If we don't go up, Pardew should go.

The world is not split into people with ambition (who want success right away) and people with no ambition (who are prepared to wait).

And I am expecting promotion in my job, but so are others so I might not get it and they might.

No you don't get it. And judging by people's responses to your posts yesterday and today most other people here seem to think you don't get it either.

Wow, the rule of the mob. And you being comfortable safely in the middle of a flock of sheep, now there is a surprise.

Quite funny seeing you then comment on promotion. If you demonstrate the same level of ambition in your personal career that you demonstrate for your football team, you've got no chance.

Wow, the rule of the mob. And you being comfortable safely in the middle of a flock of sheep, now there is a surprise.

Quite funny seeing you then comment on promotion. If you demonstrate the same level of ambition in your personal career that you demonstrate for your football team, you've got no chance.

Seeing as you have started using work analogies, let's try another.

If a new boss came in and took over a company I worked for, I would not expect a promotion straight away.

Excuse me? What are you taking about? What rule of the mob and what flock of sheep? Do you really think that no one esle here, including Pardew, doesn't want success and promotion? The difference is that some of us appreciate that every other club want the same things and only three are going to get it no matter what we do.

As for my personal career, I have been the National Sales Manager at The Guardian Media Group and have just recently passed a promotion board where I currently work so I would say that shows some ambition wouldn't you? The point I am trying to make is that other people want these jobs too and only one person gets them. Does that mean that everyone else is a useless loser who just hasn't tried? But that is what you are inferring.

Personally I can't understnd these obsessions with managers.

Makes a change from CEOs I suppose!

I am enjoying this season and the last season I enjoyed was when we made the play offs in the CCC. The current manager seems to living on borrowed time as far as some fans here would have it and the previous manager is constantly slagged off here too.

I just don't understand why, but each to their own.

Dear oh dear.

Mods, do us all a favour and lock this thread.

But Alpine, you can say exactly the same about you when we lose...

It happens, we're not the best team in the world when we win 5-0/5-1, neither are we the worst team in the world when we lose 1-2...

about 4 posts back you contradicted your own reply here!

& now your doing the same only in reverse ..

so if people dont agree with you .. you stamp your feet & claim NO ambition no expectation etc. Why dont they have ambition? because they dont agree with you? ( as you keep saying ,,) DO grown up.

I have nothing against people who don't go to games having a view .. but when they constantly slate people opinions who are going to many games it's ignorant. I have said before, you have some views & points that are very valid, there are people who agree with you often, what detracts from this is unlike most others you never enjoy the good days . You can still be found whinging .. can't you find a grumpy bugger forum to post on? lol

Now theres a shock...another post slagging a southampton manager...couldnt see it coming....

No doubt closely followed by slating lallana or schnederlein....

Then followed by slanging matches on here..

Approaching the 12,000 post count of obessed drivel....not to mention 2nd 3rd hand rehashed rubbish about a team you dont even watch....definate low iq posting

Still keeps you happy i guess...

about 4 posts back you contradicted your own reply here!

& now your doing the same only in reverse ..

so if people dont agree with you .. you stamp your feet & claim NO ambition no expectation etc. Why dont they have ambition? because they dont agree with you? ( as you keep saying ,,) DO grown up.

I have nothing against people who don't go to games having a view .. but when they constantly slate people opinions who are going to many games it's ignorant. I have said before, you have some views & points that are very valid, there are people who agree with you often, what detracts from this is unlike most others you never enjoy the good days . You can still be found whinging .. can't you find a grumpy bugger forum to post on? lol

Hes great isnt he?

You can set your watch by him...clueless interpretations on a team he doesnt watch....he slags off players with no basis of fact....sad but its a sign of the times. with our "internet fans"

I think that AP is spot on. I think that some fans have "questionable ambition". At the beginning if this season, most people said that with the 10 point deduction, they would be happy with a mid-table position and a team built for promotion next season. Instead, we have a Wembley final, an outside chance of the play-offs, and probably the best squad in our division, and this is still not enough for some people. Anyone remember what happened to Derby when they were promoted before they were ready?? Let`s enjoy what we HAVE achieved and look forward to next season. It should be a cracker!!

True, and my point is that we have dropped far too many points SINCE Pardew assembled the current Squad

Had he only assembled it yesterday, then, yes, the Play Offs are out of reach this season

But they were NOT out of reach when the current Squad was assembled

We have UNDERACHIEVED since then, and Cortese is very aware of it

Winning the JPT and finishing SEVENTH will be FAILURE IMHO:cool:

True, and my point is that we have dropped far too many points SINCE Pardew assembled the current Squad

Had he only assembled it yesterday, then, yes, the Play Offs are out of reach this season

But they were NOT out of reach when the current Squad was assembled

We have UNDERACHIEVED since then, and Cortese is very aware of it

Winning the JPT and finishing SEVENTH will be FAILURE IMHO:cool:

Still, you can always console yourself by WRITING words in capitals EVERY so often.