Losing Players

SuperMikey

Sorry, but those of you who think we won't lose any of our top players in the summer need to wake up and realise that we are a division 3 club. Regardless of our very strong financial position, there are 44 other clubs who can offer a higher standard of football. We have one or two players who aren't getting any younger (namely Lambert) and if a lower premiership club, or even a high championship club come in for any of them then i would say they would definately want to go. For someone like Rickie who hasn't experienced the big time before, it would be difficult to turn down an offer from a Newcastle, Wolves or even a Nottingham Forest at this stage in his career. In my honest opinion, there will be a lot of clubs in for him in the summer. I hope he stays but i fear he is definately one that may leave us.

I also think we'll lose Adam and we'll lose Morgan. Both probably to the same kind of clubs - lower premiership/top end of the championship. Some may argue that they'd be better off staying here and having the team built around them again next year but they're clearly both very ambitious lads. If you were them would you want to be visiting the likes of Stockport, Wycombe and Exeter on cold Tuesday nights for another year?

I think the difference is that we'll be asking for big bucks for them. The question is whether higher teams will have the money to take a chance on them. I'm sure all three could play in the CCC, but there's a reason why Rickie hasn't made it to the PL by the age of 28 - he's a very good player at this level, and probably at CCC level, but doubt he has the pace at PL level - bit of a Lee Trundle IMHO.

So, if the PL club won't want to gamble the amount of money on these 3 players, you're down to the CCC clubs. There's not that much money sloshing around in the CCC either and, where it is (parachute), they need to spend it wisely. Will they be prepared to gamble?

Not Pardew players ?

Are you serious ? He praises Lallana and Morgan every chance he gets, he is yet to drop either of them and are so much centre to his vision its untrue.

Of course I'm not joking, he didn't sign them, they are not Pardew players. Simples. he can praise them all he likes but they didn't come to SMS because of Pardew. All the others except Davis did. Thats what being a manager's player means.

They will be if they don't spend a truck load of cash in the summer. I can't imagine a strike force of Carroll and Best will be exactly up to standard in the PL

Newcastle will certainly make signings in the summer if, as seems nigh on certain, they are promoted. However, as much as I like Lambert how does he really compare to Milburn, McDonald and Shearer. Of course he doesn't and if he did leave it would only for the CCC. I think he'll stay, of the others Lallana must surely be the most likely to leave. Hammond, as with Lambert and Harding too, must have known when they signed promotion was odds against so on that basis why would they leave after just 1 season which included a trip to Wembley ?

However, at least no matter who leaves we'll have time and money to replace them.

Scheiderlin to Arsenal? :lol:

Was rumoured a while back that Wenger had bought him and was loaning him to us for first team experience....probably b0llocks, but he would suit a passing game such as Arsenal's or the one that we play from time to time if the players can be arsed!

Nobody's got any money to buy players (well, almost nobody). Look at the dearth of activity in the January window across the leagues. And that was before everybody got a HUGE wake up call from the Pompey saga, not forgetting Palace, Cardiff and many others. I don't expect it to be any different in the summer.

I genuinely can't see us losing anybody we want to keep.

Remember the Pardew interview a month or so ago, where he said that around 10 (I think it was) players would be out of contract at the end of the season, and would be going. That'll create a bit of headroom in the wage bill.

Was rumoured a while back that Wenger had bought him and was loaning him to us for first team experience....probably b0llocks, but he would suit a passing game such as Arsenal's or the one that we play from time to time if the players can be arsed!

Listen, if Wenger wanted him he would have signed him. He would want him being coached to play the Arsenal way...not the League One way. Fact is he didn't. He's the most likely to leave i believe...along with Lallana. But it will not be to Arsenal in a million years.

Nobody's got any money to buy players (well, almost nobody). Look at the dearth of activity in the January window across the leagues. And that was before everybody got a HUGE wake up call from the Pompey saga, not forgetting Palace, Cardiff and many others. I don't expect it to be any different in the summer.

I genuinely can't see us losing anybody we want to keep.

Remember the Pardew interview a month or so ago, where he said that around 10 (I think it was) players would be out of contract at the end of the season, and would be going. That'll create a bit of headroom in the wage bill.

that's exactly the case, which is why the january window was a sign for things to come (for english clubs in general)

How sure are you about that? From the way that Liebherr and Cortese have forked out £3m in transfers in L1, I would say that they don't have any problems with money. £30k a week is a hell of a lot, but considering Rickie's already on 24 goals and counting in February, i'd say it's worth it. Without his goals we'd be much further down the league.

£30k a week? In League 1? You are living in a dreamworld. You're not related to Karl Pilkington are you?

Everyone at Southampton should just take the phone off the hook and go on holiday for two months. :-) (Leave Pulis, Lancashire and Molyneux outside Fratton Park with a "You can have these for nowt" sign.)

Newcastle will certainly make signings in the summer if, as seems nigh on certain, they are promoted. However, as much as I like Lambert how does he really compare to Milburn, McDonald and Shearer. Of course he doesn't and if he did leave it would only for the CCC. I think he'll stay, of the others Lallana must surely be the most likely to leave. Hammond, as with Lambert and Harding too, must have known when they signed promotion was odds against so on that basis why would they leave after just 1 season which included a trip to Wembley ?

However, at least no matter who leaves we'll have time and money to replace them.

Pretty much agrees with what I said in post 51 then....;)

The good thing is we dont have to sell so if anyone is going it will be on our terms and we will get good money for them.

I think AP did a great job keeping Lallana this season he and Morgan are the players that will have teams looking at them I think AP will hang onto the players he wants to keep by being able to guarantee the best players a 1st team spot and by giving them the chance to develop in a team capable of winning the league.

We have all the trappings of a prem team with the training ground St Marys ect they play in front of big crowds and can earn decent wedge it would take a lower prem club or massive CCC club to tempt any of our players

Dont forget we have been getting CCC players to sign for us Saints is a great place to be right now stable and heading in the right direction

Supermikey

stop being a doom and gloom merchant FFS

spouting negativity

For once look beyond the end of your nose we have a great squad who alll get on and are gelling well together, We have an excellent infrastructure and if you had not forgotten we have no need to sell players

Interesting comments from Murty on late kick off last night. Lots of work behind the scences by AP to keep Lallana happy and make sure he stays a saint. Lallana very happy wants to stay and play for saints. Excellent news looks like Adam will stay another season.

The thing is if we lose any players the won't go cheap becuase we don't need to sell. With all the money player sales bring in we can just plunder the teams around us. If we lose Lambert we can just buy Swindons front pair for example. In league one most players will won't to come to us I reckon. So for the first time ever I'm not worried about losing players becuase unlike before I reckon we will replace quaility with quaility, rather than Lowes old trick of selling quaility and buying crap to replace it.