What's up with AP?

Made in Southampton

I think all this negative press about NC is a bit ott. A lot of it is based on assumptions thats just snowballed in to a common appreciation of his and AP's relationship. That interview showed AP clearly a little frustrated with the local press and media's coverage of Saints in recent times. Also, could be wrong but some posters with links to club do seem to be portraying NC in only a negative light! Agenda?

We need to get behind everyone at the club....

Have listened to the interview 5 times now, I'm no clearer on how some have intepreted it to mean he was or is about to go I just don't think he was pleased with the slant on questions put to him so is more a reflection on the interviewer.

AP did not appear to be a happy bunny which was surprising

The interviewer seemed quite positive but could not get AP to lighten up.

Have listened to the interview 5 times now, I'm no clearer on how some have intepreted it to mean he was or is about to go I just don't think he was pleased with the slant on questions put to him so is more a reflection on the interviewer.

My interpretation also.

On the way to the MK match,Solent said they would be broadcasting an interview with AP later which they described as him sounding "eggy" with the interviewer on the topic of NC's reported comments.

I didn't hear the broadcast,perhaps some of you did,but I wonder if it was the same tone of rambling question trying to draw AP on issues that brought about the("eggy" ?) response.

It might also be the same interviewer,in which case you can understand AP's reaction with some terse replies whilst thinking "oh,god no,this bloke is a knob"

AP will be aware of the response to Tuesdays game so if he comes across too positive he may well of found himself reminded of that very quickly so was maybe a bit guarded, that said he was reminded quickly into the interview which may have stuck in his throat a little, still think too much emphasis is being put on this interview but take on board the comments re the relationship with NC

I thought he was rambling,trying to dress up the situation to draw AP on "issues" outside the particular game.

On the other hand perhaps his questions were fine and I'm just guilty of reading too much about various parties "agendas" on here.

I thought he was rambling,trying to dress up the situation to draw AP on "issues" outside the particular game.

On the other hand perhaps his questions were fine and I'm just guilty of reading too much about various parties "agendas" on here.

Just listen to it again still think the questions were OK and addressed the situation.

It was a poor performance at Wycombe but a good one yesterday.

AP just seem down not sure it was anything to do with the questions

I felt a bit sorry for him

Edited by John B

Apart from his very public statement about the results not being good enough! If I had been Pardew I would have been very angry about that. These things should be said behind closed doors not in public.

Cortese has a job to do and so does Pardew. Part of Cortese's job is to support his management team. Every team has poor results and performances in a season. If Cortese is going to spit his dummy out every time we don't roll a side over I can see any manager with a backbone getting hacked off with him.

When we heard about Lowe getting "involved" in team affairs he was roundly slagged off. Really, what is the difference with Cortese???

Let Pardew manage. Bring in the players he needs if you can. Other than that, leave well alone.

They were, before Pardew gave the interview to the Guardian/Observer.

So was there a meeting between the players and Alan Pardew at 10am? Someone on the 606 site said all the players cars were there this morning. Anyone heard anything more? I am hoping this is all just a load of rubbish. It would be nice to have it confirmed as nothing though. I guess we will have to wait and see.

So was there a meeting between the players and Alan Pardew at 10am? Someone on the 606 site said all the players cars were there this morning. Anyone heard anything more? I am hoping this is all just a load of rubbish. It would be nice to have it confirmed as nothing though. I guess we will have to wait and see.
They were in for tactical talk this morning as far as I know. Nothing more.

Karp

Just had a great day out playing in our annual Marshalls Golf tournament for the Volunteers at the Desert Classic.

Mate rang who "knows the bloke that washes the cement trucks at the RMC yard.

Apparently there was some door slamming and a terse but polite request to open the door to let him out to a steward after the Interview.

The door was NC's office.

I've been taking all this Krap with a very big pinch of salt up until that call, but the insinuation was that there appears to have been "a difference of opinions bordering on a row"

If only we had a good local rag who could tell us what I've been told was a heap of bollix

FFS

I doubt that Cortese interferes in football matters, but I wouldn't mind betting that if he and Markus aren't happy with some of the hoofball being played, leading to in their view, less than satisfactory results, they have made that point.

It should also be remembered that Cortese has issued one statement and nothing else, all the sniping remarks have come from Pardew starting with the Guardian article and every week since. He would be better getting on with going for the playoffs and building bridges in private, otherwise he will be out.

Harry Redknapp is the living embodiement of the dangers of allowing a football manager to run a club. There are hundreds of great managers out there, but we'll never, ever find a better, more qualified owner...

Very true, but the owner doesn't run the club at the moment.

Anyone googled what NC did before he came to SMS?

Anyone else worried about why NC changed careers?

Anyone else worried what deal NC is on?

Cortese is a clever and experiened business man on a mission and will let no one stand in his way. He will support anything and anyone who helps him achieve that mission and the pot of gold that goes with it.

He is ruthless, but from reports fair and sensible on business matters. He lacks "football" experience and that, in my opinion, is what is causing the problem.

We are lucky to have Mr Liebherr and his financial backing. We are equally lucky to have Mr Cortese with his business know how. We now need a an experienced Director of Fooball to act as a buffer in my opinion.

Very true, but the owner doesn't run the club at the moment.

Anyone googled what NC did before he came to SMS?

Anyone else worried about why NC changed careers?

Anyone else worried what deal NC is on?

I am not worried just interested as I have been unable to find anything out about him

Except he ran a Sports Dept within a bank

posted it before, but the only thing from NC I have seen is

The Solent NC comment, word for word

When asked by reporter for his thoughts on week ahead

He said - that whilst a trip to wembley and progress in fa cup are nice things to have the reason for serious investment in the team is about getting into the league one play offs its our top priority, the latest league results have not been satisfactory against that objective and he looks forward to the team getting back to winning says against Norwich on Saturday.

Not seen anything hinting that he has given AP a bollocking

We are lucky to have Mr Liebherr and his financial backing. We are equally lucky to have Mr Cortese with his business know how. We now need a an experienced Director of Fooball to act as a buffer in my opinion.

That's a great comment IMO. I would be inclined to add Pardew's skills to the list of positives because, even though he's made - and is still making - some tactical errors (by most accounts), he's signed some excellent players and he's transformed the playing side. Introducing a "buffer" would enable us to see the best of NC and AP - and better cohesion between the two.

I'd go for that. The interviewer was prodding him looking for a story away from the football. Some of the questions were just plain amateurish. TBH, I heard Strachan get far more arsey with journalists who he thought were planks. Bit of a non story I feel.

I'd go for that. The interviewer was prodding him looking for a story away from the football. Some of the questions were just plain amateurish. TBH, I heard Strachan get far more arsey with journalists who he thought were planks. Bit of a non story I feel.

It maybe a very big story as it would appear that Pardew was upset prior to the interview I dont think Pardew was upset by the Interviewer and his questions

Cortese is a clever and experiened business man on a mission and will let no one stand in his way. He will support anything and anyone who helps him achieve that mission and the pot of gold that goes with it.

He is ruthless, but from reports fair and sensible on business matters. He lacks "football" experience and that, in my opinion, is what is causing the problem.

What struck me Ron is that there is no doubt in quite a few games we have been pretty poor, if Markus Leibherr is flying in from Dubai/Geneva/wherever expecting to see decent performances his disappointment could be significant.

We have to give them the credit that they do like football and know what they want to see. If they are not seeing what they want or getting the results they want, questions are bound to be put.

I'm not in favour of change for change sake but I must say that I much prefer the change on the pitch since this blew up, and the way we are evolving. If this is because of Cortese and in spite of Pardew then good luck to him. However I would like to think that it wasn't and that it is Pardew and his team also becoming more positive and confident.

Sorry R, dont agree. If Cortese doesnt feel he can leave the footballing issues to AP, there is a problem with the choice in managers.

Sorry R, dont agree. If Cortese doesnt feel he can leave the footballing issues to AP, there is a problem with the choice in managers.

I get the impression that Pardew thinks the team is performing as to be expected but NC does not.

I wonder what the infamous 5 Year Plan actually is for March 1 2010

If there is confliction, the only thing that will keep the status quo this season is winning matches.

Or there could be a "problem" with Cortese or - more likely yet - a problem with both of them. Managers need a competitive edge and need to protect their vision for the team and its style. Chairmen need a broader vision for the club. There are plenty of points where those two visions will rub noses, and high sensitivity (on the manager's part) or a rather interfering or impatient nature (on the chairman's part) will make it a painful exercise.

This stuff often happens when you put talented people in the same room, which is light years away from where we were not so long ago.

It maybe a very big story as it would appear that Pardew was upset prior to the interview I dont think Pardew was upset by the Interviewer and his questions

I guess it just goes to show that everyone reads things in a different way. To me hi seemed to start the interview ok, and then got peed off with the interviewers thinly veiled attempts to find a story. NCs comment a couple of weeks ago probably did wind him up, and he's probably fed up with every interviewer trying to get an angle on those comments.

Having been at Wycombe on Tuesday, I'd imagine NC did have a word as WW are a bottom 4 side and we never really looked like getting a grip on the game. Pitch was poor, but we've got to learn how to dig in and win those games.

Or there could be a "problem" with Cortese or - more likely yet - a problem with both of them. Managers need a competitive edge and need to protect their vision for the team and its style. Chairmen need a broader vision for the club. There are plenty of points where those two visions will rub noses, and high sensitivity (on the manager's part) or a rather interfering or impatient nature (on the chairman's part) will make it a painful exercise.

This stuff often happens when you put talented people in the same room, which is light years away from where we were not so long ago.

This is very true but Pardew has to stop feeding the media or Cortese will dump him if he doesn't achieve Cortese's targets.

As I have no idea of NC's past how do you know he is talented.

Being a banker does not automatically mean that in the current economic situation it appears that bankers are greedy and have nearly brought some countries to their knees.

I am not saying NC is a greedy banker just that I know little about him and would like to know more

Edited by John B

I guess it just goes to show that everyone reads things in a different way. To me hi seemed to start the interview ok, and then got peed off with the interviewers thinly veiled attempts to find a story. NCs comment a couple of weeks ago probably did wind him up, and he's probably fed up with every interviewer trying to get an angle on those comments.

Having been at Wycombe on Tuesday, I'd imagine NC did have a word as WW are a bottom 4 side and we never really looked like getting a grip on the game. Pitch was poor, but we've got to learn how to dig in and win those games.

No he was not right at the beggining and he just got worse he is used to answering these questions I would have thought

About time, a bit of passion. Guess what NC wants great things and so does Pardew. Professional disagreements happen in business.

Personally if I had been AP and some nobber or a reporter had started spouting off about the previous game I'd have been a little ticked off. If that was SAF he would have had the guy banned from the stadium.

We have a good manager in AP, I hope we retain him.

Being a banker does not automatically mean that in the current economic situation it appears that bankers are greedy and have nearly brought some countries to their knees.

I am not saying NC is a greedy banker just that I know little about him and would like to know more

Imagine it might be quite difficult to find out too much about him. In 2008 he was "Head of Private Banking" at Banque-Hertiage in Zurich. Knowing the way that the Gnomes of Zurich conduct their affairs I would think there is not much in the public domain especially for a head of PRIVATE banking. Before that he was at Credit-Suisse I believe. Seems likely he was moderatley successful, presumably dealt with Herr Liebherr's accounts to have become his friend and confidant.

Imagine it might be quite difficult to find out too much about him. In 2008 he was "Head of Private Banking" at Banque-Hertiage in Zurich. Knowing the way that the Gnomes of Zurich conduct their affairs I would think there is not much in the public domain especially for a head of PRIVATE banking. Before that he was at Credit-Suisse I believe. Seems likely he was moderatley successful, presumably dealt with Herr Liebherr's accounts to have become his friend and confidant.

Yes not much really and I would have thought it a small bank.

This is very true but Pardew has to stop feeding the media or Cortese will dump him if he doesn't achieve Cortese's targets.

Absolutely. Pardew's not a dummy and I'm sure he knows the way people might read what was - to me - a rather angry and sulky performance like that interview. If that was a deliberate attempt to garner fan sympathy he's playing a dangerous game. Hopefully it wasn't.

We don't really, do we? But I don't see a Swiss bank putting someone lacking talent on the Markus Liebherr account, do you? And I don't think someone like Markus would be taken in by someone who was all style and no substance. I've seen Cortese do things that have made me wonder about his judgment but nothing to make me wonder about his skill set. Bringing Markus to the table and pulling off the acquisition from administration was a challenge in itself, and the player acquisitions since seem to have been well handled.

It was him that persuaded Leibherr to buy Saints for that we owe him some loyalty and support. To date except for the Echo stupidity he hasn't put a foot wrong.

If it's a case of support Cortese or Pardew then for me it's a no contest. Pardew has one of the best jobs in football and hissy fits isn't going to endear him to the owners or help him keep his job.

Absolutely. Pardew's not a dummy and I'm sure he knows the way people might read what was - to me - a rather angry and sulky performance like that interview. If that was a deliberate attempt to garner fan sympathy he's playing a dangerous game. Hopefully it wasn't.

We don't really, do we? But I don't see a Swiss bank putting someone lacking talent on the Markus Liebherr account, do you? And I don't think someone like Markus would be taken in by someone who was all style and no substance. I've seen Cortese do things that have made me wonder about his judgment but nothing to make me wonder about his skill set. Bringing Markus to the table and pulling off the acquisition from administration was a challenge in itself, and the player acquisitions since seem to have been well handled.

The only thing I ever found was

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~1741573,00.html

which did not lead me to think he was a really high flyer but as you say competant enough

I wonder what his remuneration is based on .

The only thing I ever found was

which did not lead me to think he was a really high flyer but as you say competant enough

I wonder what his remuneration is based on .

If you keep going like this you're going to trigger another Guided Missile exposé. ;)

I can see it now - "Who's that gnome in my garden?"

The danger with Cortese is that he won't be used to the word no or the need to be patient given his financial background. Being head of Private banking clients tend to do what they are told by said head but Pardew may be a little less submissive.

Ruthless can be good and bad and it pains me to quote Dubai Phil but we are all blessed with 2 ears and one mouth and they should be used in that ratio. The danger with senior bankers is that the ratio tends to be the other way around and they believe their own invincibility.

Player acquistions were seemingly handled well but were they the right purchases? We can only guess if Pardew's shopping list matched what was delivered.

The danger with Cortese is that he won't be used to the word no or the need to be patient given his financial background. Being head of Private banking clients tend to do what they are told by said head but Pardew may be a little less submissive.

Ruthless can be good and bad and it pains me to quote Dubai Phil but we are all blessed with 2 ears and one mouth and they should be used in that ratio. The danger with senior bankers is that the ratio tends to be the other way around and they believe their own invincibility.

Player acquistions were seemingly handled well but were they the right purchases? We can only guess if Pardew's shopping list matched what was delivered.

Not sure he was head of private banking

as this suggests he was head of Sports and Entertainment Desk within the Bank

NC, I remember that post of Dubai Phil's as well because it really resonated with me.

But we can't change NC, and AP is on the more sophisticated end of the football manager spectrum, so we have to make this work. The danger - God forbid - is that if they don't make this work we could see a repeat with the next managerial appointment as well.

That's why I'm leaning towards a DoF appointment - someone to act as a "buffer", to use Weston's word.

BTW, I'm shortly going to leave this vital thread in order to watch Canada whack seven bells of hell out of the U.S. at hockey (he says, with the white knuckles and knocking knees of someone who really, really, really, really doesn't want to lose this one!)

It was him that persuaded Leibherr to buy Saints for that we owe him some loyalty and support. To date except for the Echo stupidity he hasn't put a foot wrong.

If it's a case of support Cortese or Pardew then for me it's a no contest. Pardew has one of the best jobs in football and hissy fits isn't going to endear him to the owners or help him keep his job.

I feel the same. People taking pot-shots at NC such as SOG are the real ungrateful villians of the peace.

How strange it is therefore that these are the very same people who tell us how grateful we should be with the way things are going seeing as we could have ceased to exist last summer :rolleyes: