What's up with AP?

Made in Southampton

Let's hope so. You only have to look at SFC 2004 through 2009 and QPR since the F1 lot took over to see that a revolving door in the manager's office gets you nowhere.

Also, look at the players he has brought in and the improvement we have seen under Pardew. I'm sure - and I hope - that Nicola Cortese is smart enough to understand all of this.

Two points:

(1) The interviewer said nothing that could have 'offended' Pardew, on the contrary the questions were soft and invited obvious responses along the lines of didn't the team do well, but AP chose to give negative replies. Whether he intended to create a public impression or didn't appreciate how it would be viewed, we can't know, but it has started a hare running.

(2) The OS has reported the Pardew interview under the headline 'Gaffer Ecstatic', possibly the most dishonest bit of spinning since 'It was the Sun wot won it'. What would be interesting to know is whether that is Pardew trying to undo the damage of his interview, or Cortese trying to placate him. To know that you need to know who the OS editior is answerable to. Whichever it is, it probably hasn't shot the hare.

I agree with you completely but where has this rumour originated from.

Perhaps Pardew does not get on with NC

I did hear from a source at the echo that he wasn't first choice but the rumour was already underway on here by then.

I might be wrong but wasn't there a thread on here back in the summer about there being some sort of connection between ML and pardews wife? Or did I imagine that?

Perhaps pardew was ML's choice but not NC's and perhaps pardew and NC are not best of friends because of that?....who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Two points:

(1) The interviewer said nothing that could have 'offended' Pardew, on the contrary the questions were soft and invited obvious responses along the lines of didn't the team do well, but AP chose to give negative replies. Whether he intended to create a public impression or didn't appreciate how it would be viewed, we can't know, but it has started a hare running.

(2) The OS has reported the Pardew interview under the headline 'Gaffer Ecstatic', possibly the most dishonest bit of spinning since 'It was the Sun wot won it'. What would be interesting to know is whether that is Pardew trying to undo the damage of his interview, or Cortese trying to placate him. To know that you need to know who the OS editior is answerable to. Whichever it is, it probably hasn't shot the hare.

think interview change when started talking about the bleak disappointment (or an away 0-0!)

think interview change when started talking about the bleak disappointment (or an away 0-0!)

Don't agree at all. The interview started with AP staring down at his shoes and hardly able to look the interviewer in the face.

Q1 - Was that as enjoyable for you as it was for everyone else?

AP - Well, it as just an efficient perfomance.

Q2. What particularly pleased you, was it the best perfomance of the season, it was certainly the biggest score line of the season?

AP (still avoiding eye-contact) Best performance was away to Norwich

Q3 - I was going to ask you about Harding and Hammond back to their best, but Jason Puncheon playing well, and Rickie Lambert, ahrd to pick one isn't it?

AP - No, there was no outstanding performance today - everyone was determined to show we're a good team.... then the 23 games stats.

Sorry, Nick, there was no change during the interview, it began negatively and down beat from the outset and continued.

Don't agree at all. The interview started with AP staring down at his shoes and hardly able to look the interviewer in the face.

Q2. What particularly pleased you, was it the best perfomance of the season, it was certainly the biggest score line of the season?

Q3 - I was going to ask you about Harding and Hammond back to their best, but Jason Puncheon playing well, and Rickie Lambert, ahrd to pick one isn't it?

AP - No, there was no outstanding performance today - everyone was determined to show we're a good team.... then the 23 games stats.

Sorry, Nick, there was no change during the interview, it began negatively and down beat from the outset and continued.

Nick H here not MrG, i agreed he wasn't on top of the world but he definitely changed when the interviewer mentioned the poor perfomance at wycombe and that the fans sung his name. he then went into 1 word answers. Rightly so IMO

think he is ok until told people were painting a bleak picture after Tuesday's disappointment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8541183.stm

Just read this thread, started to get a bit worried then NickG kindly put a link up for the interview......................surely your joking aren't you, I heard nothing wrong with AP's reply's at all!

Thought it was a perfectly sound interview, thought the interviewer did try and provoke a reaction from AP ref. Tuesdays result and AP simply said look at our stats, 23 games, 3 defeats, 5 draws and 15 wins, pretty good return in my eyes.

As I said to the lads after the game.......3 games and 7 points is a great return, if it'd been Norwich 1-1 Wycombe 0-3 and Walsall 3-1 no one would be complaining at all, get a grip lads!!!!!

Take a chance to listen to AP after the 2-0 Norwich game:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8495758.stm

The 0-0 Wycombe game:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8497013.stm

Now listen to the 5-1 Walsall interview again:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8499097.stm

Alan Pardew might be a tad monotone, but there's an obvious difference between the attitudes. In both the Norwich and Wycombe interviews, he is pretty upbeat overall.

not had the benefit of seeing the video so will accept that.

Mine was how it sounded on bbc web site

Just read this thread, started to get a bit worried then NickG kindly put a link up for the interview......................surely your joking aren't you, I heard nothing wrong with AP's reply's at all!

Thought it was a perfectly sound interview, thought the interviewer did try and provoke a reaction from AP ref. Tuesdays result and AP simply said look at our stats, 23 games, 3 defeats, 5 draws and 15 wins, pretty good return in my eyes.

As I said to the lads after the game.......3 games and 7 points is a great return, if it'd been Norwich 1-1 Wycombe 0-3 and Walsall 3-1 no one would be complaining at all, get a grip lads!!!!!

As someone who commented negatively on the Wycombe result I accept that as very fair comment

I expect the interviewer did a stinky fart, that's what the problem was.

Actually I thought it might be that the interviewer had dog's breath! He seemed to be closer to AP than usual (even got in the way of the camera a bit too much) and I got the slight impression that AP was trying to move away! Also wonder whether AP's black tie had something to do with the matter?

Take a chance to listen to AP after the 2-0 Norwich game:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8495758.stm

The 0-0 Wycombe game:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8497013.stm

Now listen to the 5-1 Walsall interview again:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8499097.stm

Alan Pardew might be a tad monotone, but there's an obvious difference between the attitudes. In both the Norwich and Wycombe interviews, he is pretty upbeat overall.

It was a little bit strange at the end with Pardew saying very little now look forward to beating Huddersfield on Tuesday.

As I said a few weeks ago I am pleased that the game is taking place now after the new players have had time to gel

Have given a lot of thought to this thread and let me first say I do not know the reason for Pardew’s mood in interview or his leaving at 5:15pm but here is my opinion based on some past snippets I gained in the past few months.

Pardew might not have been Cortese’s first choice but he was the best available at the time he signed on.

I was told Cortese was very unhappy over the start to the season and nearly made a knee jerk reaction. I am not prepared to go into detail as the original source this came from may have had an ulterior motive.

The situation improved as we could all see from results and it looks like Cortese decided to back Pardew by releasing more money in the transfer window to take us to the next level (i.e. top six).

Immediate results in the league were not as good as most hoped (draws away from home having taken the lead) but Pardew’s stock was still high among the supporters because of our cup run.

Suddenly Cortese goes public that he expects top 6 this season and that the league is the priority. Pardew, who I never thought was expecting a top 6 this season, was convinced that winning in any competition was the way forward and who can blame him if he saw a Wembley cup final (which he achieved with aplomb) as a more realistic target.

Saturdays win at Norwich was a fantastic achievement but was followed up with a poor performance and result at Wycombe. There was a pattern forming that this side cannot perform on poor pitches and that is essential in this league. Were Pardew’s tactics being questioned by Cortese?

Pardew has made it clear recently that he is under a lot of pressure and I suspect he thinks his 18 month period to prove himself had shrunk to the end of the season at most.

We get another fantastic win yesterday and there is some negativity in the media questioning. I think that might have been the final straw. Pardew should not have to defend himself on a day like that and he may have felt there was someone else pulling the media strings. So he was curt and walked out early.

I expect Pardew to be back at work today preparing for Huddersfield. If we perform again like we did against Norwich & Walsall that will be Pardew’s ticket to the end of the season. If we have a good run in similar form he will take us to automatic promotion next season.

As for the rumour of Cortese to AC Milan, I know someone with close contact to those at the very top at AC Milan and last time I heard, there was absolutely no truth in the rumour last time it was raised and from what I was told then, I do not expect the situation to be any different today.

I think you need to start a week earlier Ron. The reaction after the Millwall game triggered the Observer / Guardian website interview with Pardew which early the next morning led to Cortese's statement being read out on BBC Solent. I think Pardew started this by going to the Guardian/Observer.

Football is all about the next game. We've had a good win and it could be the turning the point when Saints turn from an incosistant team into a team that streamrollers all oposition. We are more than capable of doing this with the players we have got. I hope AP achieves what he wants to achieve and that the players rally behind him and raise their games and take their share of the responsibility. NC is clearly impatient, but that's good. The question now is whether AP and his players thrive on the pressure or are sunk by it. Good managers and players thrive under pressure and rise to the challenge.

winning home games and drawing away is automatic promotion standard.

if Pardew continues in that vain I am sure Cortesse will be very happy with him (plus the good cup performances).

it is unfortnuate that the play off teams have decided to have top form as well.

I hope / suspect this is somthing and nothing and mischief making by others on here.

who knows in football though!

doesn't sound like someone who had just been sacked / resigned?

winning home games and drawing away is automatic promotion standard.

if Pardew continues in that vain I am sure Cortesse will be very happy with him (plus the good cup performances).

it is unfortnuate that the play off teams have decided to have top form as well.

I hope / suspect this is somthing and nothing and mischief making by others on here.

who knows in football though!

doesn't sound like someone who had just been sacked / resigned?

AP told players to report for training today - not a meeting - to keep momentum going and to prepare for Tues game against Huddersfield. BUT he is seriously ****ed off with Cortese - he keeps interfering. There is a storm brewing.

AP told players to report for training today - not a meeting - to keep momentum going and to prepare for Tues game against Huddersfield. BUT he is seriously ****ed off with Cortese - he keeps interfering. There is a storm brewing.

Hence the need for a Director of Football role to act as a buffer !

I just listened to the post-match interview for the first time.

About the time he mentioned Merrington or the Wycombe game, something deffo changed. Before that I found AP reasonably talkative, after that it was monosyllabic.

There is tension in the air at SMS between manager and Chairman, it seems certain. AP has to buckle down and respond positively, or walk away, imo.

I don't understand how everyone is kicking off if NC has chewed AP's ear off for some of the performances this season.

He wants results and has ploughed ML's money to attempt to achieve those results, as i said before Pardew was more than happy spending the cash to attempt to get us to the playoffs and results against the lower teams have been disapointing.

Do i want to see Pardew go ?? No, not yet i feel he has more to offer but saying he should not be under pressure to perform is nonsense. We probably have THE if not a top two best first 11 in the division and have spent more than most CCC teams, and in that respect the team is always going to come under pressure.

I would like to know too.

Does he try picking the team, or has he simply read AP the riot act about last Tuesday ?

My boss will tell me if my performance is sub-standard, why should be different in football ?

NC left Wycombe at half time - not a happy bunny. With regard to interference i cannot repeat what i was told - NCs lawyers may dissagree!!

If we stick with him we'll get promoted next season.

So I hope that we do.

I have no doubts about that so I stick with my opinion that if we are not in the top 6 come Christmas AP will be gone.

I sincerely hope we are top and about 6 points clear come 25th December cos this is the best manager we have had for many a long year.

talksport said a while ago NC goes into changing room a lot.

There is very little, if any, evidence of NC giving AP a hard time - none of him giving him bollockings.

I suggest that if echo were not out to get at NC, and there were no forums everyone would be happy!

first chance I have heard it..he starts off OK but gets seriously hacked off after more refernces to Wycombe game. He obviously had no time for negative views and made his feelings obvious...!

I think a 10 miin burst of 'Alan Pardew's red and white army' on Tuesday wil help...

first chance I have heard it..he starts off OK but gets seriously hacked off after more refernces to Wycombe game. He obviously had no time for negative views and made his feelings obvious...!

I think a 10 miin burst of 'Alan Pardew's red and white army' on Tuesday wil help...

Sounds like some of the posters on this site. Foot-stamping seems a common trait...

I realy hope the rain clouds soon disappear and the sun starts to shine in Hampshire.

So many people are full of doom and gloom and I guess have found solace in posting negativity...

FFS, winning every game is not going to happen for any team.

So what if AP was a bit short with Radio Solent - who cares?

Clearly AP is loyal to his team, and if Solent were slammng him after the Wycombe game then no doubt this would be in the back of his mind when the questions moved to that game.

I don't want a happy clappy manager that the media love. I think we need a bit more substance, and we have it with AP.

Some people are trying to paint a picture that a camera wouldn't take!

(American cliche - apologies!)

talksport said a while ago NC goes into changing room a lot.

There is very little, if any, evidence of NC giving AP a hard time - none of him giving him bollockings.

I suggest that if echo were not out to get at NC, and there were no forums everyone would be happy!

Apart from his very public statement about the results not being good enough! If I had been Pardew I would have been very angry about that. These things should be said behind closed doors not in public.

Cortese has a job to do and so does Pardew. Part of Cortese's job is to support his management team. Every team has poor results and performances in a season. If Cortese is going to spit his dummy out every time we don't roll a side over I can see any manager with a backbone getting hacked off with him.

When we heard about Lowe getting "involved" in team affairs he was roundly slagged off. Really, what is the difference with Cortese???

Let Pardew manage. Bring in the players he needs if you can. Other than that, leave well alone.

yep...but you watch fans go into melt down when one is appointed

You're already in meltdown after we only managed to beat Walsall 5-1. You're virtually crying on the other thread because you reckon we only beat them because they're sh*t (even though they were above us in the table). You have no room to be talking about "fans going into meltdown".....you'll be leading the charge, trying to drag everyone into your pit of misery and pessimism.

I don't know what the matter was with AP yesterday, but he definitely seemed strangely down beat. As the interview links St Landrew has posted shows. Its not the sort of interview you would expect from a manager that has just won 5-1.

Now maybe he was under the weather? but just seems deeper than that, he really didn't seem at all happy. I just hope its us reading to much into it, & no real problems behind the scene's. Given the time I for believe AP will get us promoted next season.

Edited by Under Weststand

It's interesting that some have said that pardew might not still be in the job if it wasn't for the cup run.....is this really the case?

IMO the cup final is just a bonus,pardew has done reasonably well,better than I expected tbh,ok he should be doing better with the quality of players he has at his disposal but you can see that good times are just around the corner.

Is it really the case that the JPT has deflected the threat of the axe away from pardew? Would the fans be on his back if it wasn't for the final?,but more importantly would NC be looking for a replacement if it wasn't for the final?