• Hammond
    • Lallana
    • Schneiderlin
    • Lambert
    • Barnard
    • Thomas [shooooooooooot!!!]
    • Waigo
    • Antonio

The best home performance of the season. We were majestic. I think that Walsall gave us too much respect, or else they just didn't seem to want it as much as us. For much of the game, they appeared to be like startled rabbits caught in the headlights. We were able to pass the ball around with ease and play with width for a change. It would be a comfort to say that no team in this division could live with us when we have a team like that, playing like that, but we appear to be a bit Jekyll and Hyde sometimes. We beat the league leaders Norwich fairly convincingly, but look ordinary against lowly Wykeham. Will the real Southampton please stand up? I will start to have a bit more belief if we manage to do the same against Huddersfield on Tuesday.

Don't often get Wykehamists on this forum.

from their fan site

Manager Chris Hutchings recalled Rene Gilmartin in place of Clayton Ince and he had plenty to do as Walsall made their first ever trip to St Mary's. In the second minute of the game Radhi Jaidi fouled Troy Deeney just outside the box. From the direct free kick Matty Richards struck home with his left foot to give Saddlers a shock lead. Southampton hit back strongly and Gilmartin was forced to make three good saves including two from corners as the home side quickly got moving forward and they didn't have to wait very long to get back into the game as on 7 minutes Rickie Lambert found Jason Puncheon who's shot cruely hit the inside of the post and went over the line.

On 22 minutes Southampton thought they had scored again but Lee Barnard's effort was ruled offside. Ten minutes later Walsall won a corner which Julian Gray took but it came to nothing. Just a minute later Southampton took the lead through Barnard thanks to a pass from Lambert. It didn't take Saints long to get their third goal as on 37 minutes Jon Otsemobor crossed for Barnard to slam home. By now it was all one way traffic and Walsall were powerless to stop Saints who were playing some good football and were in a confident mood.

In the second half Richards was forced to clear off the line. Southampton were looking dangerous and it came as no suprise when they got their 4th.The hardworking Otsemobor found Lambert who cooly finished off. Hutchings made a double substitution on 67 mins with Rhys Weston and Steve Jones replacing Darryl Westlake and Darren Byfield. It was a welcome return for Jones who had been out for several weeks.He had one shot go wide and a header from the edge of the box suffered the sam fate.

In the final minute Walsall's bad day was complete had they let in a fifth goal as Lallana fired home. There were no complaints regarding the scoreline as Saints really looked a good side and Walsall had great difficulty in dealing with them. Walsall often let the home side have too much space which they exploited. Westlake had a poor game by his standards and Hutchings will probably give him a rest now. There was so very little from Walsall as an attacking force and Saint gave Saddlers a lesson in how to finish

I'm delighted with the result, and also by the way we played. With Schneiderlin providing the anchor role in CM it finally looks like our 4-4-2 is having a bit of shape. It is the best playmaking performance of a CM since Jim Magilton all those years ago. I admit I kept doubting the boy, but I'm prepared to eat my words.

Puncheon is solely left footed as far as I can see and belongs on the left. I didn't think he was outstanding, but it will be interesting to see how he beds in.

Overall it was as good a performance as I have seen in this shape. Walsall had one good player in Richards, who demonstrated an excellent football brain and no mean amount of skills either. Pity that Strachan didn't manage to buy him.

Canada Saint, now lives in Edmonton.
Oh sorry vi thought you meant Merrington..oops now who played for saints with Mick Channon and moved to Canada? I dont know but no doubt is one of my heroes. Perhaps somebody could PM me who so i dont slag him off in my 'all our yesterday, nostalgia' type threads lol

Sorry, Freemantle, but that's utter crap.

Having sat near many of your so-called experts who actually attend games I'm far from convinced that being there offers any advantage at all if you know SFA about the game. Some of the comments made about players and incidents are laughable, and there's a long list of Saints players for whom history has been a much, much kinder judge than many of the 'supporters' of the day.

I have no comment to offer on today's game because I wasn't there but I can certainly develop credible views by watching it online, which I will.

This "You can't comment if you weren't there" snobbery is childish and misplaced. Many a time I've had a much better idea of what happened after watching it on TV than I ever had during the game.

Listen im no happy clapper but these internet personalities amaze me.

Every single manager gets slated...burley out pardew out..

Everything single aspect of the club is slated....and the amazing thing alot of them never even see the team play!!!

Listen im no happy clapper but these internet personalities amaze me.

Every single manager gets slated...burley out pardew out..

Everything single aspect of the club is slated....and the amazing thing alot of them never even see the team play!!!

I've seen the team play a few times the season, I didnt want every manger out - I wanted Pearson to stay and am still undecided about Pardew, and as for "slating every aspect of the club", well thats the most ridiculous of the lot.

Thanks for posting that rubbish though, it proves my "low IQ" point when people like you can only post bullsh*t absolutes....

Oh sorry vi thought you meant Merrington..oops now who played for saints with Mick Channon and moved to Canada? I dont know but no doubt is one of my heroes. Perhaps somebody could PM me who so i dont slag him off in my 'all our yesterday, nostalgia' type threads lol

I don't want to be outed - if someone of my very modest football accomplishments qualifies for "outing", which I highly doubt. I didn't exactly run away to Canada to get away from the publicity. ;)

I think that those fellows rather prefer a spot of rugger, don't you know

Wrong. Eton, Winchester, Harrow and the top public schools played football (or their own versions, anyway). It was only the lesser public schools who played rugby. As the latter wanted to make sure they weren't tainted by trade there was a split between rugby union and league. The aristocrats who went to the top schools were secure enough in their status not to give a toss, so that split never happened in footie.

Excellent performance. Don't forget that Walsall are no mugs, have been on a good run and have been around the upper third of the table for most of the season. Whole team played well, but thought Ostemobor looked good, removed a few doubts about his ability. Thought Puncheon completely ran the show at times.

Just to say, I actually left the ground yesterday feeling disappointed. What a waste it will be having this team playing for another 15months in League One. Our first 11 is comfortably good enough to compete in the Championship, got to be frustrating for everyone concerned that we'll have to plough through another season down here.

Just seen the highlights on IPlayer. Barnards second was the goal of the game. Brilliantly taken.

I watched that goal and thought, that's why we signed him, a proper, proper goal. There's so many players who would have received the ball in that position and not known what to do with it. It was a superb turn and shot, really natural. He's a gifted lad.

I don't want to be outed - if someone of my very modest football accomplishments qualifies for "outing", which I highly doubt. I didn't exactly run away to Canada to get away from the publicity. ;)

OK, so are you saying you are an ex saint and didn't want to be outed or you are a mate of George Michael and don't want to be "Outed"?

It's late down here and this stuff ain't easy.:rolleyes:

OK, so are you saying you are an ex saint and didn't want to be outed or you are a mate of George Michael and don't want to be "Outed"?

It's late down here and this stuff ain't easy.:rolleyes:

He won't be outed by me and I'm the only one who knows who he is. Suffice it to say he played in the same team with Mick Channon. There was a photo in the pink recently of him standing next to CS.

He won't be outed by me and I'm the only one who knows who he is. Suffice it to say he played in the same team with Mick Channon. There was a photo in the pink recently of him standing next to CS.

For goodness sake, this is the last place you should set an internet hare running!:-)

Left or right side?

If it is who I think it is, I raise my glass to you Canada Saint=D>

away fans view

Like being in dreamland when Matty Richards scored early doors.

With the class that Southampton have it was never going to last which was the case. Tempted not to slag the Walsall players off.. Sure Saints were given plenty of space and there were one or two individual errors but there's no doubt in my mind now that Southampton are the best team in the division and I agree with Zidane....had they have started with 0 points they would have led this division for some time.

Alan Pardew has done a great job at St Mary's and Saints have produced a very good squad who look so comfortable on the ball.

Rene Gillmartin did keep the score down with some useful saves. I don't think the scoreline will dent his confidence at all. You could argue not the ideal game to introduce him back into the fold...I don't go along with that.

Biggest defeat of the season... not downhearted myself....sometimes you have to admire the quality of the opposition and say well done to them...this was one such occassion. They played us off the park at Bescot and they have done again here today. No other team will com close to putting eight past us over the two games this season.

Just watched the highlights on i-player, (from about 49.50 onwards) At least a bit longer to watch than usual, due to the number of goals!

They sit up and take notice that we have Lambert and Barnard in a rich vein of scoring form, but also that Lallana has 15 himself.

Also intersting to watch the Wycombe Wanderers match shortly afterwards and for those who were not there in our match against them to see that awful pitch, which was commented on by Claridge.

I've seen the team play a few times the season, I didnt want every manger out - I wanted Pearson to stay and am still undecided about Pardew, and as for "slating every aspect of the club", well thats the most ridiculous of the lot.

Thanks for posting that rubbish though, it proves my "low IQ" point when people like you can only post bullsh*t absolutes....

right back at you...your so stupid im amazed you can tie you own shoes...anyway pardew out blah blah blah.