• Hammond
    • Lallana
    • Schneiderlin
    • Lambert
    • Barnard
    • Thomas [shooooooooooot!!!]
    • Waigo
    • Antonio

For the first time this season we not only had good wide options allowing us to pass the ball, we were getting in flat crosses across the box which had Walsall in all sorts of trouble. Puncheon is a good player. He and Lallana were told to sort out the wide positions between them which led to the switching and worked well giving everybody the room to play.

It was nice to see Pardew wasn't negative and let the passing game possession close out the game. The substitutions with Tuesday in mind were sensible.

If he allows this team it's head and doesn't revert to negativism he could yet achieve his and Cortese's ambitions.

Couldn't agree more, hope we go into the game on Tuesday with the same game plan and don't show Huddersfield too much respect.

We played well, but I've rarely seen a team quite as lame as that.

Apparently they're in mid-table!

To be fair, they did have three or four first teamers out and for a team with very few resources that does make a big difference.

Yes we did play very very well but not time to gloat yet - lets gloat after a win on Tuesday....

His answers were very short towards the end but I don't think he was that bad.

Seemed like midway through the interview there was some body language/facial gesture type scenario that hacked Pardew off. It was like two separate interviews - he was fine for the first minute and seemed really hacked off in the second half?:confused:

I love Markus - arrived at the ground just as he did and he looked straight at me. However, bottled it - next time will try to do the Sky Sports AM thingy and get him to take a picture of me taking a picture of him... Yeah right

marcus.JPG

What a saviour for our club :)

Edited by Tractor_Saint

Blackmore is very weak and not very knowledgeable re football...He was struggling and appeared to me to be digging his own hole before disappearing down it......Radio Solent need to aquire a better standard employee.

Merrington is a football man but like Blackmore not suited to football commentaries or interviews...very poor..

Ha ha...my 4 yr old cried every time we scored in the first half - because of the noise! He got into it the second half and was singing the Ricky Lambert song all the way home. Magic!

She also cried at the first 3 Saints goals; we were in the Chapel so you wouldn't think it would be THAT loud!

Maybe she's just preparing herself for life as a Saints fan....!!

well, i suppose what with Portsmouth going into admin yesterday, last night on the beer and tonight and also the 5-1 win today it doesn't seem to be a bad weekend.

Now to work on the missus for anal :D

What's she going to use? A candle or her favourite dildo?

Edited by suewhistle
spolling

Blackmore is very weak and not very knowledgeable re football...He was struggling and appeared to me to be digging his own hole before disappearing down it......Radio Solent need to aquire a better standard employee.

Merrington is a football man but like Blackmore not suited to football commentaries or interviews...very poor..

Maybe agree RE merrington but I dont agree about Blackmore at all, IMO hes the best commentator solent have got.

Merrington was critical of AP after the Wycombe match so perhaps AP's got his own little anti-media thing going. And I have no doubt he got it in the ear from NC for the Wycombe result. Tense times at SMS I suspect.

At the end of the match whilst Marcus was beaming and applauding, Nicola was looking tense and suspiciously serious. I hope there is nothing wrong, just when things are going right on the pitch!

It was a tremendous performance by the whole team, but Richards's free kick on three minutes into the top corner of the net was a corker; probably did us a favour because our players' response was mercilous.

Davis 6 Confident but fumbled a couple of times. Some crucial saves.

Otsemobor 7 Great runs into the box and delivery, was allowed freedom to enjoy himself in Walsall's half, and was quick to get back to defence when needed.

Jaidi 8 Imperious and won his headers as usual.

Fonte 8 With Jaidi controlled the back which Harding and Otsemobor to plunder the wings.

Harding 7 Like Otse, dangerous going forward.

Puncheon 9 Man of the match. His early goal was crucial and he caused havoc wherever he went, which was everywhere. Lovely skillful touches and powerful play. A real asset

Hammond 8 Getting back to his best! Thoughtful distribution and crucial tackles.

Lallana 8 Everywhere and hungry. His goal was so well deserved after several near misses. Let's hope its the beginning of another scoring run.

Schneiderlin 8 How we missed him at Walsall! Never doubt his importance to this team!

Lambert 8 His usual towering self, working his socks off, but I'm glad he was subbed, because he deserves a few minutes rest. and we need him fresh for Huddersfield.

Barnard 9 So unlucky to be subbed when on a hat-trick (and he had a disallowed goal too). Like Rickie, I guess the gaffer was saving him for Tuesday

Thomas 7 Shooooooooooot!!! (lol) Subbed for Jaidi competently and confidently. Did not let Walsall get back into the game, and they did try.

Waigo and Antonio. 6 each. Played their part well, and kept Walsall chasing shadows.

And the whole team gets a deserved 9 for a proper team performance. At last we are seeing play spread around the whole width of the pitch, lots of variety from defence through midfield, width and attack. And man for man winning tackles. We could have scored eight, but for some desperate defending by Walsal so I'll settle for 5 (this time)! True, there were misplaced passes and they lost the ball at times, but credit due, they usually won the ball back. Tenacity will get us far!

Well done fellers,

and Nicola - Pards IS delivering!

Dont wish to **** on our collective chips but Walsall were the worst side at St Marys this year.

Looked like a bottom 4 team

I don't think that they were - we were so good it made them look inept. Frankly, on a performance like that we would have made most L1 teams look bad. It was the best I have seen us play for years.

I don't think that they were - we were so good it made them look inept. Frankly, on a performance like that we would have made most L1 teams look bad. It was the best I have seen us play for years.

they were crud..

us being good had no bearing on them passing the ball out of play..or their keep slicing the ball time after time..or their awful aimless hoofs up field...

we never let them play in the middle of the park and had their forwards sorted..but even when they were under no pressure, they stank

they were crud..

us being good had no bearing on them passing the ball out of play..or their keep slicing the ball time after time..or their awful aimless hoofs up field...

we never let them play in the middle of the park and had their forwards sorted..but even when they were under no pressure, they stank

We demoralised them - that is what made them look bad.

Nonsense. Blackmore is an excellent commentator.

I don't think that's true. For example, before tehe Walsall match, all of the Solent commentators and summarisers were asked if the Premier League had been good or bad for football. All the commentators suggested it had been bad, and the ex-player summarisers said it was good. But their reasons for that for superficial and poor, IMO. The commentators, including Blackmore, cited logical, real world reasons, against the formation of the Premier League, that could only come from a pretty good knowledge of football down through the years, IMO.

Just because of one interview, which obviously caught Blackmore off-balance, one doesn't consign a perfectly good commentator and interviewer t the amateur ranks. As it happens, Kris Temple, also a perfectly good commentator and interviewer, but anchoring in the studio, was himself slightly perplexed at the interview with AP.

Yeah - they were so cr@p that they went a goal up.

that had nothing to do with team play..that was one persons individual skill..

all throught the game..even when saints players were no where near any of theirs, they were spooning the ball out to play or to no one..

yes, we did not allow them to play..but they could have managed that all on their own today

it is sad that they have been above us in the league...they were so poor it was horrific

I don't think that's true. For example, before tehe Walsall match, all of the Solent commentators and summarisers were asked if the Premier League had been good or bad for football. All the commentators suggested it had been bad, and the ex-player summarisers said it was good. But their reasons for that for superficial and poor, IMO. The commentators, including Blackmore, cited logical, real world reasons, against the formation of the Premier League, that could only come from a pretty good knowledge of football down through the years, IMO.

Just because of one interview, which obviously caught Blackmore off-balance, one doesn't consign a perfectly good commentator and interviewer t the amateur ranks. As it happens, Kris Temple, also a perfectly good commentator and interviewer, but anchoring in the studio, was himself slightly perplexed at the interview with AP.

Sorry...IMO a very poor interview and the usual tripe with no imagination spun out...

Like football all about opinions..... He is Not good in my book...

Alpine, would you mind NOT being so damning of other people's opinions. This is one of the reasons why you attract so much flak. For example, you don't need to post Rubbish, as your first word.

What you sow, you undoubtedly reap.

The reason he attacts so much critiscm is that he is a plastic armchair fan who spends his life posting rehashed internet opinion about games you havent seen and a team he knows little about..

lets face it internet feed, or radio doesnt give you the whole feel of a game.

These "internet fans" make me laugh...

The reason he attacts so much critiscm is that he is a plastic armchair fan who spends his life posting rehashed internet opinion about games you havent seen and a team he knows little about..

I get complaints that Alpine is unnecessarily rude. I believe he just needs to leave out the one word insults, and most people would cut him some slack.

Well done fellers,

and Nicola - Pards IS delivering!

Nice summary, eelpie -and I agree, when he has his full team out, AP is doing all that can be expected. Please don't make any rash decisions, NC, I've just watched MOTD and there a few Prem teams we could give the runaround to and we have better attendance.

"All things come to he who waits."

Great win - I feared the worst after Wallsall scored first!

Not sure what to make of the "face of thunder" claims - perhaps a Championship vacancy is going to arise and the club has asked permission to speak to Pardew & NC said "NO".

After all the gesturing about better results Pardew could be feeling insecure and an approach could be a get out clause?

I have a face like thunder sometimes but it means absolutely nothing - I expect this is absolutely nothing too.

I wonder if we will get more than 2-mins this week on the Football League Show?

you might just have something there yorkie. The most likely CCC vacancy to arise in the near future is the Palace one, as there are strong rumours that Warnock is off to QPR, and Pardew did play for Palace for four years. Although it would seem slightly odd to leave a financially secure league 1 club on the up and in a cup final for a CCC club in admin and big financial trouble and quite likely to get relegated, but the pull of the old club is a funny thing.

Of course, this could all be utter bollix and he had a face like thunder due to some family crisis which he got a call about after the game.

Sorry, Freemantle, but that's utter crap.

Having sat near many of your so-called experts who actually attend games I'm far from convinced that being there offers any advantage at all if you know SFA about the game. Some of the comments made about players and incidents are laughable, and there's a long list of Saints players for whom history has been a much, much kinder judge than many of the 'supporters' of the day.

I have no comment to offer on today's game because I wasn't there but I can certainly develop credible views by watching it online, which I will.

This "You can't comment if you weren't there" snobbery is childish and misplaced. Many a time I've had a much better idea of what happened after watching it on TV than I ever had during the game.

Sorry, Freemantle, but that's utter crap.

Having sat near many of your so-called experts who actually attend games I'm far from convinced that being there offers any advantage at all if you know SFA about the game. Some of the comments made about players and incidents are laughable, and there's a long list of Saints players for whom history has been a much, much kinder judge than many of the 'supporters' of the day.

I have no comment to offer on today's game because I wasn't there but I can certainly develop credible views by watching it online, which I will.

This "You can't comment if you weren't there" snobbery is childish and misplaced. Many a time I've had a much better idea of what happened after watching it on TV than I ever had during the game.

And probably had a better feel for the game and the team progress than a lot of others at the game who were p*ssed or are blessed with a low IQ.

And probably had a better feel for the game and the team progress than a lot of others at the game who were p*ssed or are blessed with a low IQ.

Alps - now now, I know you live far away but you should be very careful with the XXXist snipes.

Surely you meant "Intellectually Challenged"

Which brings us nicely back around to John Terry

you mean..the hundreds of internet fans that live outside the UK that pay to use this site...who spend more money going to one game a season than you do going to 40-odd..

and the fact this IS a message board for people who PAY to use this site to post..(wait for it) A MESSAGE

yes, damn those "internet fans" for not being able to travel the globe as much as you to go to SMS

you mean..the hundreds of internet fans that live outside the UK that pay to use this site...who spend more money going to one game a season than you do going to 40-odd..

and the fact this IS a message board for people who PAY to use this site to post..(wait for it) A MESSAGE

yes, damn those "internet fans" for not being able to travel the globe as much as you to go to SMS

It's not a competition, I don't know why people take such offense. I'm in a fortunate position that I can get to every game but I know that won't last... With time other things will obviously take priority and I won't be able to justify spending thousands following Southampton every year.

It's only a minority who like to stick the boot in about "plastics" we all want the same thing Im not sure why so many threads turn into the same thing - even after a stunning 5-1 win.

that had nothing to do with team play..that was one persons individual skill..

all throught the game..even when saints players were no where near any of theirs, they were spooning the ball out to play or to no one..

yes, we did not allow them to play..but they could have managed that all on their own today

it is sad that they have been above us in the league...they were so poor it was horrific

I totally agree with you.