• Hammond
    • Lallana
    • Schneiderlin
    • Lambert
    • Barnard
    • Thomas [shooooooooooot!!!]
    • Waigo
    • Antonio

A great performance, probably better just about than Norwich. The difference in score was only decided by the quality of the opposition. Norwich have the quality to at least keep the score respectable when they are playing badly. Walsall today were completely garbage. They gave us so much space and time on the ball it was incredible. Their fans should be disgusted with that performance.

Davis - 7 Got nowhere near a quality free kick. Made two good saves, one in injury time. Not much else to do.

Otsemobor - 7 Linked up well with Puncheon and boy can he shift when he wants to.

Fonte - 10 MOTM. Nothing got past him (appart from when he was in the wall). Excellen, can't fault him for anything. Very cool customer.

Jaidi - 7 Good all round performance.

Harding - 7 Such a calm head.

Lallana - 8 Took the p*ss. Deserved his goal.

Hammond - 8 Ran the show in the middle.

Schneiderlin - 7 Good passing and a few decent tackles.

Puncheon - 9 Soooooooo good on the ball. Excellent finish for the first goal too.

Barnard - 9 Great performance, two well taken goals. Another disallowed.

Lambert - 8 Brilliant individual goal. Good build up play all round.

Subs:

Thomas - 7 Shhhhooooooot!!! Did nothing wrong when he came on.

Antonio - 7 Not on long, but looked class. Think he set up Lallana's goal.

Waigo - 7 Decent cameo performance, would still start with LB and RL.

Agreed with all that except MOTM - for me it was Barnie...not just for his goals but for his work rate defending from the front line - he put himself all over the park today and made a real difference.

What was completely evident to me today was ... (a) we have some real quality coming off the bench in Waigo, Antonio and even Thomas, and (b) I think the team is starting to really find out about itself and crucially really starting to understand how to translate AP's tactics into game winning performances. If we don't make the play-offs this year we will storm next season.

AP's interview? Could have been anything that got to him - a comment from an opposition staff member, a urgent phone call from his family...anything. Let's not speculate on something we've got no way of knowing anything about and spoiling what is a famous victory for the super Saints.

COYR!

I thought everyone played well this afternoon, like Pardew I found it hard to pick an out and out MOTM but Puncheon shaded it for me. We certainly did not get into top gear today we just played to everyones strengths which in turn made Walsall look very ordinary.

I feared when that pillock launched the ball onto the pitch from the Kingsland that the ref was going to disallow our goal as there were 2 balls on the pitch; some people in that stadium really do have sh!t for brains.

Just hope Pardews post match coldness was just him trying to keep everyones feet on the ground especially after the massive expectation turning into doom and gloom at Wycombe.

At the end of the day it was great to see us win at a canter.

I saw that too. Almost missed the goal watching that idiot lob it onto the pitch, then watching the ref waiting for him to blow up. Luckily he didn't and I didn't.

Was that Barnard goal off-side, yes or no? I thought he was on when Rickie hit it.

Even though from the opposite end I thought the keeper touched I think it made it one of those stupid player and goal keeper when there should have been another defender to allow the goal to stand because the keeper touched it, its one of those inner inner rules in the vague rule called offside. Danny Higginbottom got what looked a perfectly good goal chalked off for it and I believe that was what came up in the post match analysis.

Puncheon absolute quality, our best winger for ages. Would say we are stronger on the right than we are on the left now. Barnard took his goals well and having him in the side should spur Ricky on to greater heights (he's got real competition for top scorer in this league now.

Absolutely no weaknesses in the side, Hammond & Spiderman battle well in the middle, Lallana busts a gut every time he plays, and Fonte/Jaidi are rock solid. Nice strong core to the team, which is always important.

Really enjoyable today, had to laugh as I walked out of the Northam and heard a lad who could only have been 8 or 9 singing Strawberry Grower :D

Well, apart from the two goals, I'm a bit worried about Barnard. Right in front of me during the game he had a go a Lallana when he was soooo in the wrong. Then he goes off in what seems to be a strop... hope he's not a bit of a prima donna. Can't fault him for the way he took his goals (nearly uploaded them to YouTube) but is he a team player?

Very very pleased though - haven't felt like this for a long time. COYR!

Was that Barnard goal off-side, yes or no? I thought he was on when Rickie hit it.

I thought he was miles onside and from the position I sit I'm level with the linesman. It was a looping shot dipping over the keeper, keeper tipped it onto the bar and Barnard snatched the rebound. Will be very interested in seeing that again!

That was nice to win a game at a canter with no real threat

allowed to come from the opposition

A teriffic all round team performance with Puncheon and Fonte

just about the best...

On a side issue,not many post`s from the negative section today....:rolleyes:

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Well, apart from the two goals, I'm a bit worried about Barnard. Right in front of me during the game he had a go a Lallana when he was soooo in the wrong. Then he goes off in what seems to be a strop... hope he's not a bit of a prima donna. Can't fault him for the way he took his goals (nearly uploaded them to YouTube) but is he a team player?

Very very pleased though - haven't felt like this for a long time. COYR!

Like any lad who's played well he was up for his hat-trick and of course didn't want to come off but Pards wants him fresh for Tuesday. Barnard is part of a team on a mission not the whole team and he needs to get that into his bonce!

In terms of the performance, I thought it was first-class. Everyone had a good game today, but special mention to Fonte, Puncheon, Lallana, Lambert and Barnard. Some excellent displays in there, fantastic stuff!

Just want to clear something up with regards to Tractor_Saint's quote below too . . .

Well, apart from the two goals, I'm a bit worried about Barnard. Right in front of me during the game he had a go at Lallana when he was soooo in the wrong. Then he goes off in what seems to be a strop... hope he's not a bit of a prima donna.

I sit just above the Saints' bench, and Barnard didn't storm off, that's for sure. He was all smiles, but just pointed to an injury where he'd taken a slight knock. From that, I'm guessing he went straight down the tunnel to have a quick check to see if it was anything serious.

why do when we play well and make the opposition look poor is it down to them being lame and the worst side around.

We played football above our league standing and from the off terrified them even though they scored from their first attempt.

We would beat any team in this league if we could sustain that level of football. Norwich and Walsall have been put to the sword by some very good football.

Well done Saints.

MoM Puncheon, he linked play and made the side look far more balanced than we have for a long time...ps well done Pardew

Great score and great result. Now we just need to keep on winning to prepare for next season.

It's a shame it's probably too late for playoffs now. Just looked at the Swindon\Huddersfield\Millwall games and I think we could only afford to drop 2 points till the end of the season (funnily enough we have enough about us to win every single one of those games IMO but I wouldn't put any money down on it).

why do when we play well and make the opposition look poor is it down to them being lame and the worst side around.

We played football above our league standing and from the off terrified them even though they scored from their first attempt.

We would beat any team in this league if we could sustain that level of football. Norwich and Walsall have been put to the sword by some very good football.

Well done Saints.

MoM Puncheon, he linked play and made the side look far more balanced than we have for a long time...ps well done Pardew

+2

Totally outplayed the opposition today in a way that we have been threatening for a while.

What? you really are a muppet aren't you. What Merrington does and does not say as far as Saints are concerned is ******. One mans view - end of.

Before you start calling somebody a muppet, you should know that he played in the same Saints team as Mick Channon and knows what he is talking about.

Before you start calling somebody a muppet, you should know that he played in the same Saints team as Mick Channon and knows what he is talking about.

Derry I have been going since 1968 and di not know Merrington played for us!!! He couldnt have played many games surely, did he sign from Burnley?

The best Saints football display for years. Now banish the long ball for ever. Well done Pards and the lads. Do Huddersfield the same way and we'll start believing again.

strange 3 of the goals were because of balls played long into lambert, the first one was a classic , up to Lambert, little cushioned header and hit home by Puncheon.

Took my 5 year old to her first game and she loved it, despite bursting into tears at the volume of the Saints fans when the players came out!!

Ha ha...my 4 yr old cried every time we scored in the first half - because of the noise! He got into it the second half and was singing the Ricky Lambert song all the way home. Magic!

Ha ha...my 4 yr old cried every time we scored in the first half - because of the noise! He got into it the second half and was singing the Ricky Lambert song all the way home. Magic!

16 years ago my eldest son was 6 and cried at The Dell as we beat Villa in a crucial game, it was this first game.

has been hooked since

you have some good times to look forward to

My ratings for Saints v Walsall (5-1)

K Davis 6.5 - Terrible start but the free kick was expertly placed in truth . Only occasionally called into action afterwards .

J Otsemobor 7.5 - I've been unconvinced about him previously but a strong attacking & defending performance today by any reckoning .

J Fonte 8 - Outstanding display from a cultured ball playing defender , obviously capable of playing at a higher level than this .

R Jaidi 8 - Formidable as ever , paired with Fonte these two are perhaps among the very the best CB's in this division .

D Harding 7.5 - I've never seen this lad give a really bad performance , somehow I doubt we ever will at this level .

J Puncheon 8 - Capable winger who certainly knows his business . Not lightning quick but very good on the balll . Fine goal :)

M Schneiderlin 8.5 MOTM - The beating heart of the team and almost irreplaceable . We'll do very well to hold on to him this summer .

D Hammond 7.5 - Not as technically gifted as MS in all honesty but still a quality hard tackling midfielder .

A Lallana 8 - What more can I say ? we all know how good he is and before long the rest of the football world will too .

L Barnard 8.5 - A brace today for this super little 'Owenesque' goal poacher - subbed off injured ?

R Lambert 8 - Scored again , he won everything in the air & a proper handful for defenders . To continue my theme he's the Alan Shearer of L1.

Substitutes :

W Thomas 7 - On for Jaidi , he did nothing wrong that I could see .

Papa Waigo 7.5 - Poor finishing against PFC cost us dearly , but always looks more than handy at this level .

M Antonio 7.5 - A late sub (for Lambert) he still made his mark on the game . Well worth a full contract I'd say .

Conclusions :

It's not my policy to brag about us beating the smaller/poorer teams in this division but every Saints fan must have left St Marys today with a broad smile on their face . At our best (like today) we truly look like a more than decent CCC outfit that has found itself playing in L1 due to some clerical error - we really were that good .

I tried to identify the weak link in the side and after much deliberation I came to the conclusion that there isn't one - this team that Mr Liebherr and Alan Pardew have built is the best SFC team (relative to it's division) that I've seen in many years of watching the Saints - long may it continue

Without the hinderence of the 'cup-tied' regulations our first choice central pairings are top class - Jaidi & Fonte / Schneiderlin & Hammond / Lambert & Barnard , add on fine wide players and a substitutes bench mostly occupied with players who would surely start the game for nearly every other L1 team and it's hard to see how you can go wrong . Indeed you have to wonder why we haven't amassed more points in the league than we have in recent weeks .

Given even average luck I'm looking for this team to win the division convincingly next season .

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Schneiderlin really is becoming the real deal, such an immense performance helped by Puncheon playing wide he hit that long diagonal ball so many times perfectly. Everything about his game today was perfect a 10/10 performance. I was his biggest critic last season but he's a totally different player than 18 months ago shows some players just need time.

If he continues to dominate games like this then I think in the summer we should look to sign a goal scoring midfielder to play alongside him and replace Hammond in the starting eleven.

Just hope he gets the all important first goal soon.

For the first time this season we not only had good wide options allowing us to pass the ball, we were getting in flat crosses across the box which had Walsall in all sorts of trouble. Puncheon is a good player. He and Lallana were told to sort out the wide positions between them which led to the switching and worked well giving everybody the room to play.

It was nice to see Pardew wasn't negative and let the passing game possession close out the game. The substitutions with Tuesday in mind were sensible.

If he allows this team it's head and doesn't revert to negativism he could yet achieve his and Cortese's ambitions.