• Hammond
    • Lallana
    • Schneiderlin
    • Lambert
    • Barnard
    • Thomas [shooooooooooot!!!]
    • Waigo
    • Antonio

Just heard the pardew interview, strange one.

Definately has me worried. He obviously has had an ear bashing from cortese and co.

Especially from his two comments 'we are on a better run than anyone, which speaks for itself, if people want to be negative about it it's up to them'

And

'I just want to thank the fans who i think are fantastic'

Hmmm, a little worried

Sounds like he's talking about the ****s and then the supportive fans on here.

Dont wish to **** on our collective chips but Walsall were the worst side at St Marys this year.

Looked like a bottom 4 team

I thought they were no better and no worse than anyone we've played this season (with the exception of Norwich). Just another typical average League 1 side IMO.

And we can only beat who is put in front of us. :)

No mate - I just hate it when people speculate negatively after a superb win - facts are better to deal with - not as much fun but there you go.

Shut the forum down! Only facts are welcome.

That would have been a better first post but it's too late now.

Yes, it was a great win but it matters little if there's bad sh*t going on in the background.

Great win - I feared the worst after Wallsall scored first!

Not sure what to make of the "face of thunder" claims - perhaps a Championship vacancy is going to arise and the club has asked permission to speak to Pardew & NC said "NO".

After all the gesturing about better results Pardew could be feeling insecure and an approach could be a get out clause?

I have a face like thunder sometimes but it means absolutely nothing - I expect this is absolutely nothing too.

I wonder if we will get more than 2-mins this week on the Football League Show?

Which is just speculation. You seem to like it - I find it divisive.

Of course it's speculation - that's why there was an "if" in the sentence.

You didn't "find it" divisive - you made it divisive with your muppet comment and with other comments aimed at other people on other threads.

If you don't like it, either ignore it or put forward a counter view but FFS don't deny people on a discussion forum the right to speculate.

The best home performance of the season. We were majestic. I think that Walsall gave us too much respect, or else they just didn't seem to want it as much as us. For much of the game, they appeared to be like startled rabbits caught in the headlights. We were able to pass the ball around with ease and play with width for a change. It would be a comfort to say that no team in this division could live with us when we have a team like that, playing like that, but we appear to be a bit Jekyll and Hyde sometimes. We beat the league leaders Norwich fairly convincingly, but look ordinary against lowly Wykeham. Will the real Southampton please stand up? I will start to have a bit more belief if we manage to do the same against Huddersfield on Tuesday.

But I'll enjoy this result very much until then, as it really was difficult to fault anybody's performance in a Saint's shirt today. At times, it did look as if it were a third division team playing a Premiership outfit and I don't think that it is exagerating much to say that, considering that the range of passing, defending, movement and attacking play could easily have graced some Premiership matches. At the very least, there are one or two players already up to Premiership standard and more who are at championship level. There are one or two others who are developing steadily towards that standard too.

Do we have the best team in the division? Maybe. I certainly think that Puncheon was an inspired addition, as was Fonte. Otsemobor had a reasonable game too and Barnard is growing in confidence as he adds goals to his tally. The new signings do seem to have made a difference and the sum of the parts is beginning to look rather more than the individuals as they gel as a team.

Of course it's speculation - that's why there was an "if" in the sentence.

You didn't "find it" divisive - you made it divisive with your muppet comment and with other comments aimed at other people on other threads.

If you don't like it, either ignore it or put forward a counter view but FFS don't deny people on a discussion forum the right to speculate.

I speculated you were a muppet - happy now?

Do we have the best team in the division? Maybe. I certainly think that Puncheon was an inspired addition, as was Fonte. Otsemobor had a reasonable game too and Barnard is growing in confidence as he adds goals to his tally. The new signings do seem to have made a difference and the sum of the parts is beginning to look rather more than the individuals as they gel as a team.

Round pegs in round holes at long last .... that always helps.

Originally Posted by spyinthesky viewpost.gif

Dont wish to **** on our collective chips but Walsall were the worst side at St Marys this year.

Looked like a bottom 4 team

Maybe we just made them look like that?

There's no way of telling how bad Walsall were, one thing for sure is that Saints were very, very good and steam rollered them. That first goal was the worst thing Walsall could have done, it just antagonised the team into giving them a proverbial spanking. Pardews obviously feeling the pressure from that interview, but that was more down to the line they were taking.

When you look at the Norwich, Wycombe, Walsall games we are obviously making progress. But we did disappear against Wycombe, not even sure if we won a corner.

Jaidi gave away a silly free kick for their goal but apart from that they were not much of a threat apart from a couple of half chances. We could have scored 8, Punch looks as if he could be a great buy and a match winner in the run in, through out the team every one had a good game. Lets just take this form and high tempo performance into Tuesdays game against Huddersfield.

but they wiped out the minus points in about 5 games I think.

Plus the new owner and the old owners were basically the same thing.

Yeah but it was all a massive hoo ha, -15 points, they went into admin and ok Bates bought them out of it but it was all contraversial and everything.

We could have done better. But if we end the season playing the football we are playing now i will be happy.

All i am saying was that it was quite possible to make the playoffs.

I had a great view of that and it was never a foul. Their player just took a tumble.

Sorry but it was a foul, the player may have made a bit of a meal of it but a challenge like that from behind makes it easy for the ref. Other than that Jaidi had a good game and Fonte was excellent alongside of him.

Saints have put in some damn good performances this season, but almost always there has been a downside somewhere, however slight. I suppose it is possible AP couldn't help being extremely pee'd off with his side conceding within 3 minutes. Most managers would overlook that, most of the time, AP included. But perhaps he had drummed into them during his pre-match talk about the importance of being awake and alert from the first whistle, and they had once again let him down.

From my point of view, if I have a real criticism of Saints, as a team, it is not their inability to win on poor pitches, as everyone can have difficulty with that, but their flaw of falling asleep at crucial moments in the game. Today, they sort of did it again, in the first 3 minutes, although the Walsall free-kick was apparently unstoppable.

Saints have put in some damn good performances this season, but almost always there has been a downside somewhere, however slight. I suppose it is possible AP couldn't help being extremely pee'd off with his side conceding within 3 minutes. Most managers would overlook that, most of the time, AP included. But perhaps he had drummed into them during his pre-match talk about the importance of being awake and alert from the first whistle, and they had once again let him down.

From my point of view, if I have a real criticism of Saints, as a team, it is not their inability to win on poor pitches, as everyone can have difficulty with that, but their flaw of falling asleep at crucial moments in the game. Today, they sort of did it again, in the first 3 minutes, although the Walsall free-kick was apparently unstoppable.

How was anything about that goal related to falling asleep? It was a free-kick, they scored. Both Jaidi and Davis were awake at the time, these things happen, on this occasion it had nothing to do with concentration.

Sorry but it was a foul, the player may have made a bit of a meal of it but a challenge like that from behind makes it easy for the ref. Other than that Jaidi had a good game and Fonte was excellent alongside of him.

Agree to disagree then, but we all know how easy it is to win a foul nowadays. I still judge referees by 'old fashion' rules, where you were allowed to touch a player in order to win the ball!

I agree with you about Jaidi and Fonte though.

This years league results;

A Millwall D

A Brentford D

H Stockport W

A Exeter D

A Norwich W

A Wycombe D

H Walsall W

Since Home draw with Norwich now 5 straight home league wins

When you look at those results, they are not bad at all. But we only played well in two of those games, poorly in the others. The worry is not the opposition, but our performances just totally dropping off. We have games against Huddersfield and Leeds coming up, both with midfields that will expose any weakness we have in that area. Today was just a continuation of the Portsmouth, Norwich form and Walsall were unlucky to get in the way. We have had a real issue with putting in more than one performance a week, well March should really give us the definitive as to how far we have come.

A great performance, probably better just about than Norwich. The difference in score was only decided by the quality of the opposition. Norwich have the quality to at least keep the score respectable when they are playing badly. Walsall today were completely garbage. They gave us so much space and time on the ball it was incredible. Their fans should be disgusted with that performance.

Davis - 7 Got nowhere near a quality free kick. Made two good saves, one in injury time. Not much else to do.

Otsemobor - 7 Linked up well with Puncheon and boy can he shift when he wants to.

Fonte - 10 MOTM. Nothing got past him (appart from when he was in the wall). Excellen, can't fault him for anything. Very cool customer.

Jaidi - 7 Good all round performance.

Harding - 7 Such a calm head.

Lallana - 8 Took the p*ss. Deserved his goal.

Hammond - 8 Ran the show in the middle.

Schneiderlin - 7 Good passing and a few decent tackles.

Puncheon - 9 Soooooooo good on the ball. Excellent finish for the first goal too.

Barnard - 9 Great performance, two well taken goals. Another disallowed.

Lambert - 8 Brilliant individual goal. Good build up play all round.

Subs:

Thomas - 7 Shhhhooooooot!!! Did nothing wrong when he came on.

Antonio - 7 Not on long, but looked class. Think he set up Lallana's goal.

Waigo - 7 Decent cameo performance, would still start with LB and RL.

I thought everyone played well this afternoon, like Pardew I found it hard to pick an out and out MOTM but Puncheon shaded it for me. We certainly did not get into top gear today we just played to everyones strengths which in turn made Walsall look very ordinary.

I feared when that pillock launched the ball onto the pitch from the Kingsland that the ref was going to disallow our goal as there were 2 balls on the pitch; some people in that stadium really do have sh!t for brains.

Just hope Pardews post match coldness was just him trying to keep everyones feet on the ground especially after the massive expectation turning into doom and gloom at Wycombe.

At the end of the day it was great to see us win at a canter.

What a great win today.

Even when we went 1-0 down,i just knew we would come back and win it.Thats one of the best performances ive seen from a Saints team.We completely played Walsall of the pitch,though i doubt we will get more than three seconds on the football league show.

Well done AP and Saints today.More of the same on Tuesday please.

The pardew interview is on saints player now.

He looks like a man with something on his mind, clearly wasn't interested in taking questions.

Anybody know if you can cache the Saints Player video feed. It took me about 15 minutes to watch the 2 minute interview. I've never been able to watch highlights since they dropped the old system where you could download them.