• Hammond
    • Lallana
    • Schneiderlin
    • Lambert
    • Barnard
    • Thomas [shooooooooooot!!!]
    • Waigo
    • Antonio

Very bad timing. Not that I would second guess Nicola Cortese, but if that is true, I think it is a backward step. I believe AP deserves a proper amount of time [18 months], especially with this club's history in the last 15 or more years of casting off managers. Without a transfer window, AP could have got his team together within a few weeks of becoming Saints manager.

AP said on his pre-match piece that the play-offs are absolutely the minimum acceptable. Why or the consequences of not making it, I just couldn't say.

Worried about this AP news. Like DellDays said he gave thumbs up to alan pardews red army which I don't think he normally does.

Also at the end he made the extra effort to walk on the pitch and clap to the Northam. From previous games I know he gives the stadium a clap but normally doesnt walk towards the Northam.

Maybe reading too much into it.

Phew ... so it's not just mine then ;)

All this banging and flashing outside isn't going to help me get a good nights sleep before my 0430 wake up alarm :cool:

The AP situation is all a bit bizarre .... hope there is nothing sinister afoot.

Earplugs mate

Lol at the early start for the rush hour at the airport and with this weather it's gonna be a nice quiet Race Track morning for you - NOT

Be nice to BA they are now my favourite airline for letting me fly back for the forum match free in Biz class. Send Gulf Air to RAK they deserve it.

No response to my complaint email about the Saintsplayer service - but I WAS polite

Onto the game - missed the first 2 goals so no idea on how they came about (traffic into soton is a joke as usual)

From when I get to my set (around 3:15) we were just dominating the game, the midfield was on top and our wide-players were always involved.

The 5-1 doesn't flatter us either, it could have been 6-7 or even 8 - we were that dominant today, more down to our quality than their ineptness.

They just could not contain our pace, strength and power - we ran complete riot for the entire game and by having Barnard up front it gives us another option, it creates more space and opens the game up.

Barnard was outstanding, he holds the ball up well, runs the channels and has a fantastic finish on him (his 2nd goal was fantastic)

The player that seemed to make everything tick at times though was Puncheon, this boy is a class act. It's like the ball was super glued to his boots at times - they just couldn't stop him dribbling past them. The bonus we have now is that we can rotate wingers, punch and lallana did it all game and it caused all sorts of problems for the oppo.

all in all - excellent performance. Best home performance of the season IMO can't complain about anything or anyone after that.

Ratings...

Davis 7 - didn't see the goal, so can't comment on if he should have saved it or not - but he wasn't really tested for the rest of the game.

Jonny 7 - solid game, his pace helps us, as we can recover much better when teams counter (could have done with him against the skates)

Fonte 8 - so classy, amazing he's playing in L1. With top players they often look like they have all the time in the world – and that’s what we have here.

Jaidi 7 - solid, no problems there. Won 99% of his headers and gave his usual game. Our best CB partnership IMO.

Harding 8 - fantastic from him, rampaging down the left all game – put in some cracking crosses too, but wasn't really tested defensively.

Punch 9 - brilliant performance, first time I’ve seen him - what a player we have. Totally above this league, you can see that. We're going to have some fun with him in the team.

Morgan 9 - thought he was fantastic, sprayed the ball around intelligently, harried, tackled and tracked well - he'd be the complete package if he could score!!!

Deano 9 - same from him too, this was our key area today IMO - we just controlled it from the middle and passed them to death at times.

Lallana 8 - Glad he got the goal at the end - he deserved it for his endeavour. 100% from him and is always looking to make something happen, probably should have scored earlier than he did though!

Lambo - 9 - leads the line like an expert, great finish too (but that's the usual) - he's a complete legend, as with alot of our players, this league looks a bit too easy for him at times.

Barnard 9 - cracking little player. He's a fantastic support striker for lambo and you can see a good little partnership being created there.

Well Morgan comes back in and we played an absolute blinder.

He really is a terrible player ;)

Best player on our side because he wins the ball, you can't score and do brilliant things if you can't win the ball.It's just a pity for Morgan that Eric Mombaerts won't even send anyone to watch him, they'd rather have reserve players from Arsenal and Stuttgart than a lad who's played near on 40 matches of tough competition this season.

Its a partial explanation, but it does NOT explain the drop-off in performance between the Norwich and Wycombe games.

Of course. Here's a reasonable explanation then. Trace back Saints very average performances, this season, against opposition they possibly should have won against, and almost always it is on a very poor pitch. I think Saints play a passing game, and their superiority is very much in that department. Put them on a muddy pitch, notoriously known as a great leveller, and they struggle, and become average themselves.

The trick we haven't learned is how to play on a pitch this is seriously poorer than St Marys, and still remain consistently superior. I had a conversation with a friend the other day about this, and we jokingly suggested that one of the pitches at Staplewood should be over watered and cut up to resemble a poor quality northern pitch. Funnily enough, it isn't that stupid a suggestion.

The game:

Puncheon was absolute class. Shame Barnard didn't get a hat trick but we have 6 awesome players: Lambert, Puncheon, Lallana, Barnard, Fonte & Schneiderlin. When they all tick we have just seen what they can do. Best performance all season. Walsall didn't have a sniff with Fonte winning every single ball. If we can keep performing like that then the results are going to flow!!

Rubbish.

AP has no tactics for crap away days deep winter mid-week in true L1 sh*tholes.

Alpine, would you mind NOT being so damning of other people's opinions. This is one of the reasons why you attract so much flak. For example, you don't need to post Rubbish, as your first word.

What you sow, you undoubtedly reap.

The game:

Puncheon was absolute class. Shame Barnard didn't get a hat trick but we have 6 awesome players: Lambert, Puncheon, Lallana, Barnard, Fonte & Schneiderlin. When they all tick we have just seen what they can do. Best performance all season. Walsall didn't have a sniff with Fonte winning every single ball. If we can keep performing like that then the results are going to flow!!

Completely agree. We played some excellent stuff and kept the ball on the ground. Quality performance.

Onto the game - missed the first 2 goals so no idea on how they came about (traffic into soton is a joke as usual)

From when I get to my set (around 3:15) we were just dominating the game, the midfield was on top and our wide-players were always involved.

The 5-1 doesn't flatter us either, it could have been 6-7 or even 8 - we were that dominant today, more down to our quality than their ineptness.

They just could not contain our pace, strength and power - we ran complete riot for the entire game and by having Barnard up front it gives us another option, it creates more space and opens the game up.

Barnard was outstanding, he holds the ball up well, runs the channels and has a fantastic finish on him (his 2nd goal was fantastic)

The player that seemed to make everything tick at times though was Puncheon, this boy is a class act. It's like the ball was super glued to his boots at times - they just couldn't stop him dribbling past them. The bonus we have now is that we can rotate wingers, punch and lallana did it all game and it caused all sorts of problems for the oppo.

all in all - excellent performance. Best home performance of the season IMO can't complain about anything or anyone after that.

Ratings...

Davis 7 - didn't see the goal, so can't comment on if he should have saved it or not - but he wasn't really tested for the rest of the game.

Jonny 7 - solid game, his pace helps us, as we can recover much better when teams counter (could have done with him against the skates)

Fonte 8 - so classy, amazing he's playing in L1. With top players they often look like they have all the time in the world – and that’s what we have here.

Jaidi 7 - solid, no problems there. Won 99% of his headers and gave his usual game. Our best CB partnership IMO.

Harding 8 - fantastic from him, rampaging down the left all game – put in some cracking crosses too, but wasn't really tested defensively.

Punch 9 - brilliant performance, first time I’ve seen him - what a player we have. Totally above this league, you can see that. We're going to have some fun with him in the team.

Morgan 9 - thought he was fantastic, sprayed the ball around intelligently, harried, tackled and tracked well - he'd be the complete package if he could score!!!

Deano 9 - same from him too, this was our key area today IMO - we just controlled it from the middle and passed them to death at times.

Lallana 8 - Glad he got the goal at the end - he deserved it for his endeavour. 100% from him and is always looking to make something happen, probably should have scored earlier than he did though!

Lambo - 9 - leads the line like an expert, great finish too (but that's the usual) - he's a complete legend, as with alot of our players, this league looks a bit too easy for him at times.

Barnard 9 - cracking little player. He's a fantastic support striker for lambo and you can see a good little partnership being created there.

Would agree with that with the exception of Harding who whilst had a good game didn't rampage down the line to the extent I think you give him credit for. Barnard and Lambert look very comfortable together - a great pairing. As for the free kick then I don't think we can give Kelvin too much grief although he continues to make me nervous.

don't quote me on this, it's just a rumour - but apparently he has been told by Nicola that if we don't get the top 6 by the end of the season - then he's off.

talk about pressure.

FFS! Being 11th in the league (+ cup run & JPT) after being close to having no club, starting on - 10 and precious little pre-season is a major achievement! I understand NC wants results and he's right to do so, but a top 6 finish is too big an ask. No manager on earth can be asked to put a team together in August and make it to the top right away. It doesn't make any bloody sense. Fergie couldn't do it, Arsène couldn't do it, Hodgson couldn't do it, nor could Mourinho or whoever.

It's fair to say that if Saints aren't in the running for automatic promotion by Xmas AP would have somehow failed, but until then let him go on with his job.

Alpine, would you mind NOT being so damning of other people's opinions. This is one of the reasons why you attract so much flak. For example, you don't need to post Rubbish, as your first word.

B*ll*cks ;)

That works both ways, you know. Heavy sarcasm is supposed to be against site rules, but it seems to me you mods dont even bother with that anymore.

Key word = speculation.

Got it now moron?

Yes, speculation.

What discussion forums are for.

Most people with half a brain understand that, which explains why you're having problems. On this and other threads.

Back in your bedroom if you don't know how to play.

Just heard the pardew interview, strange one.

Definately has me worried. He obviously has had an ear bashing from cortese and co.

Especially from his two comments 'we are on a better run than anyone, which speaks for itself, if people want to be negative about it it's up to them'

And

'I just want to thank the fans who i think are fantastic'

Hmmm, a little worried

FFS! Being 11th in the league (+ cup run & JPT) after being close to having no club, starting on - 10 and precious little pre-season is a major achievement! I understand NC wants results and he's right to do so, but a top 6 finish is too big an ask. No manager on earth can be asked to put a team together in August and make it to the top right away. It doesn't make any bloody sense. Fergie couldn't do it, Arsène couldn't do it, Hodgson couldn't do it, nor could Mourinho or whoever.

It's fair to say that if Saints aren't in the running for automatic promotion by Xmas AP would have somehow failed, but until then let him go on with his job.

Norwich did it, on minus 15

Just back from the match, best 90 minutes I've seen all season.

Walsall didn't get a look in; we looked like scoring every time we attacked.

Their free-kick was unstopable; saw it from behind the goal and it was a goal from the second it left his boot.

Puncheon very good, excellent close control and does a lot of running.

Fonte looks quality at the back and he and Jaidi are a great pairing; think Jaidi lost one header all afternoon.

Took my 5 year old to her first game and she loved it, despite bursting into tears at the volume of the Saints fans when the players came out!!

My nipper's first game was the 5-2 against Barnsley; shame I haven't got any more kids to take to future games!!

Just back from the match, best 90 minutes I've seen all season.

Walsall didn't get a look in; we looked like scoring every time we attacked.

Their free-kick was unstopable; saw it from behind the goal and it was a goal from the second it left his boot.

Puncheon very good, excellent close control and does a lot of running.

Fonte looks quality at the back and he and Jaidi are a great pairing; think Jaidi lost one header all afternoon.

Took my 5 year old to her first game and she loved it, despite bursting into tears at the volume of the Saints fans when the players came out!!

My nipper's first game was the 5-2 against Barnsley; shame I haven't got any more kids to take to future games!!

Get working on it - enjoyable work surely?!

Is that Mod Speak for go on lads have a freebie, I'll be off line for a few minutes :D

Best player on our side because he wins the ball, you can't score and do brilliant things if you can't win the ball.It's just a pity for Morgan that Eric Mombaerts won't even send anyone to watch him, they'd rather have reserve players from Arsenal and Stuttgart than a lad who's played near on 40 matches of tough competition this season.

He's serving a great apprenticeship. If he's got what it takes, his time will come. I hope he's still a Saint when it does.

Is that Mod Speak for go on lads have a freebie, I'll be off line for a few minutes :D

No it isn't. Alpine unnecessarily heavily criticised another poster's opinion. It's one of the reasons why he gets people ganging up on him. I have told him this before, but he never quite seems to learn.

We'll leave the subject there.

Just heard the interview on Solent, and didn't think it was bad at all. Certainly not as bad as is being made out!!! Think he's just trying to keep the pressure on the players to carry on playing like that, and not let up. Good management - Tuesday is a big game.

Wot he said.

He's serving a great apprenticeship. If he's got what it takes, his time will come. I hope he's still a Saint when it does.

Depends for just how long he's prepared to put international football on to the back burner. Lad has captained his country at every level from about the U15s upwards. I know it's a big blow to him no longer being considered for selection.

don't quote me on this, it's just a rumour - but apparently he has been told by Nicola that if we don't get the top 6 by the end of the season - then he's off.

talk about pressure.

Well, if Saints miss out on the playoffs, but end up within 10 points of them, there is but one person to blame.

2a0463650258bb5c509d4c5cff6adc25.jpg