Relegation Season / This Season

Guest Hacienda

This is all so depressingly predictable, as most of us have said from day one - what Lowe is doing is the perfect recipie for relegation. Too many kids, foreign manager who knows nothing about the Championship, AND trying to play an open passing game.

As confidence gets lower, opposition gets wiser, and pitches get heaver - trying to play this type of game will get harder and harder.

We're not even trying any more - the last 120mins have been 4-4-2....

How can anyone seriously tell who is going to be relegated after only 7 games?

I did not see the Barnsley game but the Sportinglife described saints performance as a 'dominant display' but they failed to take advantage of it. We know we need a 'proven' goalscorer upfront but Stern John is not exactly firing at the moment.

Many people said Blackpool are rubbish and just the sort of team we should be hammering at home - and yet they have now played 4 games away, losing only lost once, so maybe they are not too shabby after all. It could be temporary but then so is any teams form.

Last season Preston also had 5 points after 7 games and in the next 12 games they added only 10 more (3 of those points came from a 5 -1 thumping of an ‘experienced’ saints side). That gave them 15 points after 17 games and obviously in danger of relegation. Preston fans did not think, ‘Oh well its only a blip we will start winning soon’ yet that is exactly what happened. After a further indifferent patch they had a superb run, picking up 19 points in 8 games and moved up the table and out of danger.

The previous year the exact opposite happened. They had looked odds on for either automatic promotion, or at very least, a play off spot but Preston then lost 7 of the last 8 games allowing saints to creep one point above them into the 6th spot.

Its stuff like that which makes football such a fascinating and frustrating game to follow.

Of course the alarm bells are ringing right now, and I am sure some changes will need to be made. The players we are using are not ‘kids’ as many keep saying, but are 20 – 22 years old and only lack experience, which is never realistically going to happen within 7 games. Some of them may never make it but we cannot say that just yet.

We spent £10.5 million in player wages last year yet still only avoided relegation on the last day of the season. Unless we can find XX million from somewhere in the next few months I suspect we are stuck with what we have got, mediocrity or even total failure will not change that.

Why all this talk about relegation? There is really nothing for us to worry about because the OS described the Saints as ..... "continuing their unbeaten streak". Yes, that's right, two home draws against Ipswich & Barnsley qualify as "an unbeaten streak". Bull***t!

I agree - what an insane comment for the OS to make. In fact the statement is not even correct as saying 'continue their unbeaten streak' suggests we had an unbeaten 'streak' previously - when in fact it was one sad little lonely draw. As you say though two home draws are hardly a streak either.

We have to oust Wilde and Lowe fast and encourage a takeover. I have been right about everything so far since May - I predicted all of this Lowe comeback and his Cloggy experiment with kids failing... now that the overwhelming tone on the threads on this forum also seem to back that line - its time for the fans to put Lowe and Wilde under pressure to sell.

WE MUST ENCOURAGE A TAKEOVER. We need to seriously take a leaf out of the passionate fans in Newcastle and stop acting like a bunch of punch drunk fans used to a continuing demise and slide of a once European playing football club under Lowe's plc influence.

We have to act soon.

We ARE going down with these kids and JP.

The table does not lie.

Now lets do something to get Lowe and Wilde out for good.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. SELL MIKE.

who is mike, lol

We have to oust Wilde and Lowe fast and encourage a takeover. I have been right about everything so far since May - I predicted all of this Lowe comeback and his Cloggy experiment with kids failing... now that the overwhelming tone on the threads on this forum also seem to back that line - its time for the fans to put Lowe and Wilde under pressure to sell.

WE MUST ENCOURAGE A TAKEOVER. We need to seriously take a leaf out of the passionate fans in Newcastle and stop acting like a bunch of punch drunk fans used to a continuing demise and slide of a once European playing football club under Lowe's plc influence.

We have to act soon.

We ARE going down with these kids and JP.

The table does not lie.

Now lets do something to get Lowe and Wilde out for good.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. SELL MIKE.

If we sell Mike in the Jan window will he raise £4-5m in the transfer market.

Whilst I really enjoy watching young British players who have a affinity and some ties to the club try to play the game the right way I am begining to think that my heart is ruling my head if we are going to be safe.

We are such a small side and for all our pretty passing we are lacking a cutting edge any ball in the air and we are in trouble our final ball and finishing is poor.

In this league you must win the right to play your football what will we be like in the winter when the pitches get heavey and our youngsters run out of steam I hope I am wrong but this is going to be a long hard season.

The preverbial 'talks a good game'. Lots of 'we have to do' - but little substance of how...!!!

As you are so right about everything - why not tell us your 'blueprint for instant success' eh?

OK - have typed this afew times but here we go.

I suggest we take a leaf out of Newcastle Utd's book here. May be they have not been as coordinated as I am about to suggest but the actions of the fans and Ashley and his shareholders/Boardroom are worth examining.

Firstly - working under the assumption that Ashley as principal shareholder is also a fan - like Mike Wilde tells us he is too - as well as being a businessman, I suggest the following:

1. Form a united team of a fans rep , respected shareholders (not Lowe who has no confidence from either the business community or fans), Southampton City Council, legends (MLT) under Mike Wilde's leadership.

2. As Ashley has, Mike Wilde to announce VERY PUBLICALLY that SFC is for sale and that the Club is ready to move upwards with new leadership and investment. Backed by fans, MLT et al mentioned above he uses Sky, BBC and anyone else in media willing to advertise the Club as one with great youth, infrastructure, huge fanbase, exciting prospects for commercial development in the centre of Southampton and close to moorings for big yachts etc etc.

3. Sales team mentioned above - put together a slick presentation with professional assistance and OPENLY present to potential investors... targetting Russia, USA and Middle East as necessary.

This can be done and can have an effect and has to be better than sitting on our arses and watching the club continue to die under Lowe's plc, we are going down and never will promote by selling our best players - youth players - as Mike Wilde has stated WILL happen to keep the plc afloat.

I think we need to hear that statement from Wilde soon that the club is 'For Sale'.

What's more we all need to then get behind the effort to sell it.

Lowe must not be involved as there is little or no confidence in his ability by the press, shareholders, business investors and the vast majority of fans. Mike Wilde can lead this one and should - in the same way Ashley has realised his time is up and for the good of a Club he loves (no denying Ashley also has the chance to make some cash on this deal too!)

There are many who would buy this Club out there. We just need to start attracting them by stating in a unified manner that we're for sale.

There is NO WAY this club will go forward again without a takeover now. So lets all just admit it from Wilde to the Northam youth and get behind a takeover sales pitch.

What is there to lose on this?

OK - have typed this afew times but here we go.

I suggest we take a leaf out of Newcastle Utd's book here. May be they have not been as coordinated as I am about to suggest but the actions of the fans and Ashley and his shareholders/Boardroom are worth examining.

Firstly - working under the assumption that Ashley as principal shareholder is also a fan - like Mike Wilde tells us he is too - as well as being a businessman, I suggest the following:

1. Form a united team of a fans rep , respected shareholders (not Lowe who has no confidence from either the business community or fans), Southampton City Council, legends (MLT) under Mike Wilde's leadership.

2. As Ashley has, Mike Wilde to announce VERY PUBLICALLY that SFC is for sale and that the Club is ready to move upwards with new leadership and investment. Backed by fans, MLT et al mentioned above he uses Sky, BBC and anyone else in media willing to advertise the Club as one with great youth, infrastructure, huge fanbase, exciting prospects for commercial development in the centre of Southampton and close to moorings for big yachts etc etc.

3. Sales team mentioned above - put together a slick presentation with professional assistance and OPENLY present to potential investors... targetting Russia, USA and Middle East as necessary.

This can be done and can have an effect and has to be better than sitting on our arses and watching the club continue to die under Lowe's plc, we are going down and never will promote by selling our best players - youth players - as Mike Wilde has stated WILL happen to keep the plc afloat.

I think we need to hear that statement from Wilde soon that the club is 'For Sale'.

What's more we all need to then get behind the effort to sell it.

Lowe must not be involved as there is little or no confidence in his ability by the press, shareholders, business investors and the vast majority of fans. Mike Wilde can lead this one and should - in the same way Ashley has realised his time is up and for the good of a Club he loves (no denying Ashley also has the chance to make some cash on this deal too!)

There are many who would buy this Club out there. We just need to start attracting them by stating in a unified manner that we're for sale.

There is NO WAY this club will go forward again without a takeover now. So lets all just admit it from Wilde to the Northam youth and get behind a takeover sales pitch.

What is there to lose on this?

Im sure it is done with the best intentions but I think it is fairly obvious to all and sundry we are for sale. Robbie i think you are a stay away fan (apologies if Im wrong) It qwould be better if you came to games and gave the players some backing, we get some wins and go up the table.The crowds will then get bigger and the club get financially stronger.

Im sure it is done with the best intentions but I think it is fairly obvious to all and sundry we are for sale. Robbie i think you are a stay away fan (apologies if Im wrong) It would be better if you came to games and gave the players some backing, we get some wins and go up the table.

The crowds will then get bigger and the club get financially stronger.

Yea Robbie, it's your fault (and mine) that the team is losing. It's all because we're not there to see it happen.;)

Yea Robbie, it's your fault (and mine) that the team is losing. It's all because we're not there to see it happen.;)
To a degree you are right it is your fault.You wont like to admit it but if we had another 10k fans not only would the club be less under the cosh financially the lads would have a bigger backing. Less money coming in less to buy players, its easy.

All very good but it is not bringing in many points is it.

Come on face it,the "new" style just isn`t working.

We needed a manager at the start of the season who knows what it takes in

this league and we still do need him now.

Indeed that's true, but unfortunately Lowe sacked him and he's now under contract at Leicester.

To a degree you are right it is your fault.You wont like to admit it but if we had another 10k fans not only would the club be less under the cosh financially the lads would have a bigger backing. Less money coming in less to buy players, its easy.

Start offering value for the money and the fans will come. it's that easy too.

Start offering value for the money and the fans will come. it's that easy too.
go and support Leicester it seems to be catching on. value for money? What doesw that actually mean when you are relying on 11 blokes kicking a ball. They cant guarentee you anything, those lads give it all for us smething that fans have questioned of our players for a long time, we get that and now after only 7 games we are all down oin the dumps and would rather be Leicester than us, its pathetic.

go and support Leicester it seems to be catching on. value for money? What doesw that actually mean when you are relying on 11 blokes kicking a ball. They cant guarentee you anything, those lads give it all for us smething that fans have questioned of our players for a long time, we get that and now after only 7 games we are all down oin the dumps and would rather be Leicester than us, its pathetic.

nick, just accept the fact people have had enough of SFC...

What another load of total crap from people like aintforever and Seatbelt who just take the standard saints depressives attitude of lets blame the chairman. "Poorvleit is foreign and doesn't know the CCC" so shouldn't be appointed manager - but the Prem is packed full of managers who haven't previously managed English clubs, some of whom seem to be doing OK. People who follow football should learn one thing, that the game is complicated and there are no easy answers. Man U are in 15th place in the Prem - does that mean their manager is crap, or their chairman/owner is to blame. Its just as stupid to make such claims about Saints as it would be about any team.

What another load of total crap from people like aintforever and Seatbelt who just take the standard saints depressives attitude of lets blame the chairman. "Poorvleit is foreign and doesn't know the CCC" so shouldn't be appointed manager - but the Prem is packed full of managers who haven't previously managed English clubs, some of whom seem to be doing OK. People who follow football should learn one thing, that the game is complicated and there are no easy answers. Man U are in 15th place in the Prem - does that mean their manager is crap, or their chairman/owner is to blame. Its just as stupid to make such claims about Saints as it would be about any team.

I have nothing against foreign managers, but having little or no knowledge of the league is not an advantage. In Poortvleit's case he is switching countries and making a big step up as well as working with inexperienced players in an experimental system where the chairman appears to be DOF.

nick, just accept the fact people have had enough of SFC...
you are probably right DD. I just cant stand these people picking at the carcass when we are still breathing.

There seems a preconception that it is easy to sell an asset that is 25m plus in debt , losing 100's a week. We have had the party and now the clearing up is having to be done.

The Wilde bunch came in and pandered to the fans and overstretched us and then failed to make provisions.

RL has come back to protect his asset (and his allies assets) cas best he can.If you look at it I dont think his value is that much Ump would tell us more exactly but I doubt if its more tha 500k at present.Even if its a million he can stand that and it wouldnt make him potless, but he has power due to his pact with Askham etc and is trying to save the club from administration for himself and so ultimately us. Perhaps for differing reasons but I know he does care for the club and whilst finance is the main thing it is not the only thing.

Some believe we should have kept NP, i was nopt 100% behind it but 70-80% happy that he'd be the man for the job.Then the cost cutting had to be done and he became part of that also I suspect RL wanted to go his way as whatever went wrong was always going to be pointed at him and so he may as well fail his way if he was to get the blame.

I dearly would love us to get a couple of experenced pros in to help the kids before the window shuts but I cant see that happening especially now that the crowds have dropped.