Stay away fans

Verbal Kint

Apart from a few who think boycotting the club because of Lowe, I don't really think anyone seriously believes staying away is going to help the club. And the Lowe boycotters are really a very very small number, in my opinion.

(Apologies for previous error!)

I agree with alot of your comments and sentiments but do not agree with that about Lowe. I firmly believe that several thousand will not come back while Lowe is there or while the Lowe Disunited experiment is failing miserably. The shambles has been dragging on for far too long and no club can retain a level of support whilst all fans appear to be getting is a bad product for their "investment" in the club as RL seems to view it. We are in the entertainment and excitement business - what have we had of that for the past 3 years? Well maybe last game of 07/08 but then 32000 turned up. Instead of rejoicing in the result/attendance chummy boy had a dig at the then regime and manager.

Pity he didnt see it this way when we had the opportunity to spend a few bob in the final season and retain our premiership status. The current mess is due entirely ro Lowe's beliefs and failed strategies. I and several thousand do not believe in SFC as a club anymore and have no intention of supporting Lowe Disunited. When Lowe and the other shysters are gone then we will return - if the objectives and ambitions of the club are clear and positive.

The reastaurant would still be michelin star if the customers had not caused such a fuss when a manager was to be appointed(I include myself in that ) It was a bad mistake by us the fans.Morally correct but we are paying for that.I myself probably wouldnt have gone again but the mess we are in is brought on by the fans as well as the board RL the polayers and managers.It is not just down to 1 person.

I disagree.

The manager that was wanted has been in charge of a number of Michelin star restaurants over many years, and bar one appointment, he has managed to lose the star and lessen the product on offer....

The reastaurant would still be michelin star if the customers had not caused such a fuss when a manager was to be appointed(I include myself in that ) It was a bad mistake by us the fans.Morally correct but we are paying for that.I myself probably wouldnt have gone again but the mess we are in is brought on by the fans as well as the board RL the polayers and managers.It is not just down to 1 person.

But there was no need for the restaurant to then appoint a manager who was at first supported, then quickly shafted.

And then there was non need whatsoever to promote the waiter to become manager.

Goold Rupert, he's such a unifying figure isn't he:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I find it amazing how many people whine and moan aboutlowe, wilde, crap football , formations, the manager etc etc etc and then it turns out they dont go to the matches anyway. IMO your opinion is worthless and generally unwanted by those that watch and support thier team.

get to the games or shut the fu.ck up

I wonder where Man U would be if all there fans that dont go to matches felt there opinion was worthless when concerning the club they Support????

:rolleyes:

I agree with alot of your comments and sentiments but do not agree with that about Lowe. I firmly believe that several thousand will not come back while Lowe is there or while the Lowe Disunited experiment is failing miserably. The shambles has been dragging on for far too long and no club can retain a level of support whilst all fans appear to be getting is a bad product for their "investment" in the club as RL seems to view it. We are in the entertainment and excitement business - what have we had of that for the past 3 years? Well maybe last game of 07/08 but then 32000 turned up. Instead of rejoicing in the result/attendance chummy boy had a dig at the then regime and manager.

Pity he didnt see it this way when we had the opportunity to spend a few bob in the final season and retain our premiership status. The current mess is due entirely ro Lowe's beliefs and failed strategies. I and several thousand do not believe in SFC as a club anymore and have no intention of supporting Lowe Disunited. When Lowe and the other shysters are gone then we will return - if the objectives and ambitions of the club are clear and positive.

I can see where your coming from but feel that if we are taken over by someone of similar standing to Lowe and Co we may only get a rush of fans for a short time. We are so used to the polotics having a bigger impact at our club than what happens on the pitch that it would take a takeover backed by billions being invested in the team for us to forget the plonkers at the top.

We have been stiched up so many times that any new people in charge will have a hell of a job to earn the trust and backing of the supporters. Wilde had it for a while just for getting rid of Lowe!!!! Crouch had it for appearing to be more of a fan but couldnt unite the board and shareholders while spending heavily when we all knew the money was not there to spend.

We are down to the bare bones no matter who is in charge and will be until the bare bones are either good enough to move us upwards or until someone buys us or just chucks money at us.

I think the current set up is good enough for a way forward for the time being but the question has to be asked, Why do they play better away? Something is not right at home and we have all mentioned it. Without the fans and the support of the local comunity its not a nice place to play our home games. :(

You cannot even think of comparing us with Man Ure which is a well run club with right policies and decent players.

Not comparing us as a team or club but if there fans were asked what they thought of there situation you would still find complainers due to them being in so much debt. There fans even went off and started a new football club didnt they???

but the point i was making could of used any team as its not just the fans that can make it to matches that count. bigger the fan base the bigger the revenue which means the more tha t can be spent on the team and club.

For the period during which it reached it's highest league position for a decade and a Cup Final and Europe perhaps?

And what stops you now supporting the same boardroom which delivered that?

You as an older punter should know that there was life before the reverse take over and that we actually finished higher, reached Europe and won the FA Cup before Lows yet you talk about Lowe’s reign as if it was the golden era.

Also you keep going on about us going bust, what clubs in the top three divisions have actually gone bust and by that I mean cease to exist for a period, none. Clubs have gone into administration and have continued bit the only clubs I can think of that have gone bust are Aldershot, Maidstone and Newport County. So it’s all a bit of an idle threat, one that I don’t even think Lowe has dare use.

The ownership of Southampton stinks it has done for years, whilst we stayed in the premiership and whilst we had hope of a quick return the cracks were papered over. The time has come where it can’t be hidden anymore, no amount of talk of a revolutionary approach, double Dutch, nurturing the kids is going to hide the fact that we lacked proper stewardship. What we are seeing now is the result of all the shenanigans of the past twenty years.

We need ownership with vision and with the football club at heart. It doesn’t need to be a multi-billionaire takeover but the stewardship of the club needs to be transferred to other people who can take us forward. But we are in a stalemate situation, the shareholders want one price and the market will only offer another.

If fans turn up now it will just prolong a regime that is going nowhere. However I doubt that administration will rid us of these people, we should fear what they have planned if we do go into administration.

If we do stave of administration through this low-fi team relegation is a real possibility and the lower you fall the harder it is to get back up, Forest are still years away from a return to the premiership.

You and I will have to agree to disagree then. I think you are lumping 2 different aspects together. I believe quite strongly that there are only a few, maybe counted in the hundreds who are actively boycotting simply "because Lowe is there". They have the right to do so, but I am sure the numbers are very low. There are others who are probably saying, oh I'm not going because Lowe is there, but actually would not be going anyway because they are of the type who only go when things are going well, and are looking for an excuse to look big to their mates or whatever.

The Lowe "experiment" though is another matter. There were clearly people willing to give the experiment a go, including me, I was so anti before the season, but the idea makes some sense, and like many others I would like to see it succeed. But the bottom line is that everyone can now see that the experiemnt is not well thought through, and hasn't allowed for the fact that you need some experienced players in the mix with the youngsters to have some hope of success. Youngsters are also very much affected by confidence. Their confidence has been badly knocked and now they are finding it tough to even pass the ball to a teammate at times. The result is that we cannot buy a home win, and so all those who at the start of the season saw some small signs of recovery have now seen that it was a false dawn and have drifted away again.

However you dress it up, and whoever is playing, wins at home = bums on seats. It also means atmosphere, its a chicken and egg situation, but I firmly believe winning a few home games on the bounce will start to bring the crowds back, then the atmosphere will improve. But make no mistake, continue not winning at home and things will continue to spiral and we will be in League One before we can say "Lowe Out".

You as an older punter should know that there was life before the reverse take over and that we actually finished higher, reached Europe and won the FA Cup before Lows yet you talk about Lowe’s reign as if it was the golden era.

Also you keep going on about us going bust, what clubs in the top three divisions have actually gone bust and by that I mean cease to exist for a period, none. Clubs have gone into administration and have continued bit the only clubs I can think of that have gone bust are Aldershot, Maidstone and Newport County. So it’s all a bit of an idle threat, one that I don’t even think Lowe has dare use.

The ownership of Southampton stinks it has done for years, whilst we stayed in the premiership and whilst we had hope of a quick return the cracks were papered over. The time has come where it can’t be hidden anymore, no amount of talk of a revolutionary approach, double Dutch, nurturing the kids is going to hide the fact that we lacked proper stewardship. What we are seeing now is the result of all the shenanigans of the past twenty years.

We need ownership with vision and with the football club at heart. It doesn’t need to be a multi-billionaire takeover but the stewardship of the club needs to be transferred to other people who can take us forward. But we are in a stalemate situation, the shareholders want one price and the market will only offer another.

If fans turn up now it will just prolong a regime that is going nowhere. However I doubt that administration will rid us of these people, we should fear what they have planned if we do go into administration.

If we do stave of administration through this low-fi team relegation is a real possibility and the lower you fall the harder it is to get back up, Forest are still years away from a return to the premiership.

You misrepresent me TOTALLY.

I do remember an 80s era which to me was far more golden than our recent success (2001-2004).

My point, and it is valid, Is that no-one called the era of FA Cup Final and 8th in the league - 'a failing regime'...

People are choosing not to go now but being disingenuous about their reasons.

I cannot see how anyone staing away is achieving anything? All it does is hastens adminstration. If that is people's motivation - fine. It's not something I support, but it is at least valid.

But this rubbish about 'not propping up a regime', 'not supporting Lowe' - it's a fallacy. Otherwise, from the minute he arrived the stadium would have been half-empty.

AGAIN - I am not here to support Lowe. I am here to ask why people who have enough passion to spend £20 a month on broadband to post about them, £40 a month to watch Jeff Stelling talk about them, and £5 a year to maon about them, can't or won't pay to watch Southampton...

If you geniunely believe staying away will rid us of Lowe, good luck. I think we will go into adminsitration as a result. Is that your idea for our future?

I do remember an 80s era which to me was far more golden than our recent success (2001-2004).

My point, and it is valid, Is that no-one called the era of FA Cup Final and 8th in the league - 'a failing regime'...

I cannot see how anyone staing away is achieving anything? All it does is hastens adminstration. If that is people's motivation - fine. It's not something I support, but it is at least valid.

But this rubbish about 'not propping up a regime', 'not supporting Lowe' - it's a fallacy. Otherwise, from the minute he arrived the stadium would have been half-empty.

AGAIN - I am not here to support Lowe. I am here to ask why people who have enough passion to spend £20 a month on broadband to post about them, £40 a month to watch Jeff Stelling talk about them, and £5 a year to maon about them, can't or won't pay to watch Southampton...

If you geniunely believe staying away will rid us of Lowe, good luck. I think we will go into adminsitration as a result. Is that your idea for our future?

He did achieve a modicum of success and it was his failure not to build on that success that has lead us to where we are now. So even if it was once a good tenure (and I don’t know if I agree with that) it can still turn bad and attract dissatisfaction.

I agree with Vectis above that only a few people are boycotting because of Lowe’s return, people are not coming because we are in a lower division (a phenomenon that exists the world over), because money is tight, time is tight and because people are fed up with the situation.

I am not advocating a boycott (and I am not undertaking one), because I fear the motives of the people involved and what their plans are if we do go into administration. But this is a train crash waiting to happen and it can not be avoided if we are run along the same lines as we have been and no amount of rally calls will stop it, and if fans do turn up it will only delay the inevitable.

Staying away is not about achieving anything it’s just how people feel.

Guest Hacienda
So tell me what being a fan is?

Perhaps you could have a sensible debate if that's possible?

Tell me, why you and others staying away is benefitting:

1. My club now.

2. My club in the future.

3. The team who play now.

Typical of you you sanctimonious ****, I'm not staying away, I've been to four games this season and I'm going to another two this week.

Guest Hacienda

In your opinion only.

As I said about the two games this week, only I'm going to Rotherham as others can't be arsed, can't afford it etc. Only two of us are going to Donny for the same reasons.

However, for the Norwich home game none are going as cost, can't be bothered is added to by some of them not going solely down to Rupert.

When you hemmorage fans 35 - 45, who have been there through thin and thinnner then you are in serious trouble and idea that fans should be blind fools who just shell out their cash regardless is, frankly, b o l l o c k s.

When you hemmorage fans 35 - 45, who have been there through thin and thinnner then you are in serious trouble and idea that fans should be blind fools who just shell out their cash regardless is, frankly, b o l l o c k s.

Well said! We could carry on debating all day when surely it's not too difficult for the club to contact those who have not renewed their season tickets and find out why they haven't.

"When you hemmorage fans 35 - 45, who have been there through thin and thinnner then you are in serious trouble and idea that fans should be blind fools who just shell out their cash regardless is, frankly, b o l l o c k s."

That is it in a nutsell.

I had my hopes raised by the good football the boys were playing but it seems it cannot be sustained. I find a great pull to go to every match at home but sometimes my brain takes over and I think it is just a waste of money to go to have ones hopes of seeing something positive be dashed again.

RL & MW would castigate the board record of the club if they were looking at the club from the outside. They have been runnning it foradecade?/ Where we are can only be attributed to them.

I pay to go to see the Saints most home matches. They pay themsleves money to run the club.

If the results dont come the attendances will fall below 12k. They should realiseGod is telling them that in the words of the famous chant " you dont know what you are doing"

Top, top post. Askham and cronies are on borrowed time and they know it. It's a phony war at the moment before either a genuine bid or administration which is otherwise inevitable within weeks.

Lowe was a good Chairman 1997-2003 IMO but is past his sell by date and Askham has NEVER done anything for SFC accept take money out of it (reverse takeover). I won't even mention Branfoot. Wilde has gone one better and ****ed it up in TWO seperate regimes. None of them are any good for SFC anymore - time to get rid, the empty seats are a vote of no confidence and I could see their point yesterday, it was an awful game between two teams that are odds on to go down. The atmosphere was like the biodiversity in Lake Erie - ie dead.

Michael Vaughan was also a good cricket captain for a number of years but stood down when he was clearly past it. Time for our board to do the same, they won't get more than 20p a share for an insolvent business.

I think it is safe to say that we are down to the 'hardcore' fanbase at the moment, and Lowe knows that he can always bank on an attendance of 13-16k and will 'cut the cloth' accordingly to make that attendance viable. They need to change the matchday experience at SMS, if you were to compare an away day to a home match, the away day wins hands down every time.

Typical of you you sanctimonious ****, I'm not staying away, I've been to four games this season and I'm going to another two this week.

Which benefit other clubs...

So what is your reason for staying away from St Marys and what do you plan/hope for it to achieve??

Not hard to answer is it...

Bit feel free to resort to abuse... yawn, yawn...

Lowe was a good Chairman 1997-2003 IMO but is past his sell by date and Askham has NEVER done anything for SFC accept take money out of it (reverse takeover). I won't even mention Branfoot. Wilde has gone one better and ****ed it up in TWO seperate regimes. None of them are any good for SFC anymore - time to get rid, the empty seats are a vote of no confidence and I could see their point yesterday, it was an awful game between two teams that are odds on to go down. The atmosphere was like the biodiversity in Lake Erie - ie dead.

Michael Vaughan was also a good cricket captain for a number of years but stood down when he was clearly past it. Time for our board to do the same, they won't get more than 20p a share for an insolvent business.

Mate, I have no disagreement. I want him gone. I just don't see how staying away helps.

My view? We'll go into administration and Lowe and Wilde will STILL be here.

And we'll be in League One...

God, what an appealing prospect.

I'd like to thank the author of this thread for his support. I'd like to say that its not been easy staying away from St Marys, saving my money, and losing interest in the club in general...but it really has. Its nice to be appreciated though. Thanks again Verbal, people like you make it all worth while.

The one thing that the bank does not want is to see Saints go into administration, perhaps rather than use the word bank I should have said Norwich Union. It would be difficult for them to find a buyer through the receivers, therefore I can see pressure being put on the likes of Lowe / Wilde etc to go, if they believe that another group could or would run things better and improve the attendances , believe me this would happen.

A bank will not want the stadium left on their hands, the only alternative is to sell it to Pompey, and, I can't see them wanting to play home games in Southampton.

If the bank thought for one moment that getting rid of Rupes would boost attendances significantly he would be gone in a flash

Guest Hacienda
Which benefit other clubs...

So what is your reason for staying away from St Marys and what do you plan/hope for it to achieve??

Not hard to answer is it...

Bit feel free to resort to abuse... yawn, yawn...

I've been to SMS this season as I said in a previous thread. Took my nipper to the Blackpool game.

Rather shuts you up doesn't it.

Guest Hacienda
If the bank thought for one moment that getting rid of Rupes would boost attendances significantly he would be gone in a flash

The only weapon fans/supporters/customers have is their wallet and if withholding their funds they believe they can force Lowe/Wilde out then that is a good enough reason for not going as any.

When the team is struggling then you realise just how many real fans a club has. In the case of SFC about 14,000. If those that do not go because the want to see a team win every week then ***k off and support Chelsea,or manure or Arsenal. It just goes to show how many crappy fans this club has had over the years, good times bad times , a real fan never loses faith just money.

Guest Hacienda
Who the **** do you think you are you cheaky ****? If everyone thought like you there would no club left so perhaps you need to do the growing up sunshine

Get a grip sweetheart, your embarassing yourself with your cluelessness as I do go to games, both home and away.

Guest Hacienda
When the team is struggling then you realise just how many real fans a club has. In the case of SFC about 14,000. If those that do not go because the want to see a team win every week then ***k off and support Chelsea,or manure or Arsenal. It just goes to show how many crappy fans this club has had over the years, good times bad times , a real fan never loses faith just money.

:rolleyes:

14,000 home fans went on Saturday.

If the attendance drops to 13,000 for the next home game, will we have lost another 1,000 'true' fans?

What I can't believe is how many moronic sheep continue to attend. They then rush online to castigate those who decided against going as if it makes them some sort of uber fan.

It doesn't, it makes them morons.

After yesterday I'll be joining the ranks of non attenders as it is no longer worth the travelling or the cost to see a bunch of players so obviously out of their depth it's scary.

All the issue highlighted preseason and in the 1st few games have not been addresses such as playing a lone striker at home, who is cr@p whilst one of our decent strikers is playing Champions League football.

Lowe's experiment has already failed and will take us down and I feel sorry for Jan and the players.

What I can't believe is how many moronic sheep continue to attend. They then rush online to castigate those who decided against going as if it makes them some sort of uber fan.

After yesterday I'll be joining the ranks of non attenders as it is no longer worth the travelling or the cost to see a bunch of players so obviously out of their depth it's scary.

All the issue highlighted preseason and in the 1st few games have not been addresses such as playing a lone striker at home, who is cr@p whilst one of our decent strikers is playing Champions League football.

Lowe's experiment has already failed and will take us down and I feel sorry for Jan and the players.

Just wait for the emotional blackmail from those uber fans...we have no responsibility to bail out Lowe or Wilde. If in staying away it causes a short term problem resulting in better owners then go for it. However there is no guarantees that the next owners would be any better or more adept at running a club.

Unfortunately I just have no idea which way we should go, and, I would bet that the vast majority are in the same situation...damned if we do and damned if we don't.

The last thing that we want is to see the long term future of our club suffer...however we have no faith in Lowe, Wilde, the youngsters or Jan

Two words, **** off.

A Moronic Sheep (and proud of it)

Get a grip sweetheart, your embarassing yourself with your cluelessness as I do go to games, both home and away.

Glad to hear it.

You've had a pop at fans who attend regularly who are gutted to see falling attendances and a half empty ground and have dared to question why so many have dissapeared. I'd call that embarassing but there you go, we'll have to agree to disagree

Im not saying i agree with you but, i remeber a certain Tv Pundit a few years ago saying something similar and strongly hinting that saints had no need to leave the Dell as they never really had a True hard core fan base to fill a stadium the size of St Mary's...

Mr Rodney Marsh may well have a point, as it seems the Dell would suit us right now....

Im not saying i agree with you but, i remeber a certain Tv Pundit a few years ago saying something similar and strongly hinting that saints had no need to leave the Dell as they never really had a True hard core fan base to fill a stadium the size of St Mary's...

Mr Rodney Marsh may well have a point, as it seems the Dell would suit us right now....

It probably won't make anyone feel any better, but when Pompey were in this position they were getting gates of 6000.

I support Saints, not the ****ing chairman

Unfortunately, the club is in a mess.

It's not because we have Lowe, it's because we have too many nobbers as supporters, and you are one of them my friend

This debate is one of the most interesting for some time, as I feel that it encompasses the very crux of whether we can continue as a club in our current form. All very well those saying that unless we support the youngsters as they deserve and fill the stadium to support them, the dwindling attendances that we are experiencing now will soon result in our continuing losses leading to administration. And they then infer that it would be our fault, that because we stayed away, we killed our club. Most however would say that the club began its path towards our current poistion the moment that we got relegated and the ensuing boardroom shenanigans only made matters worse. Whether attendances declined as a result of a combination of factors such as the relegation from the Premiership, protests against Lowe/Wilde/Crouch, or the football played under Burley, Dodd and Gorman, Pearce or JP, does not alter the fact that the declining attendances are a fact more to do with the failures of one board or another and that like it or not, the fans have the perfect right to attend or not according to their own private reasons, whetever they be.

A new board comprising none of the charlatans who have been involved with us this past decade would at least be able to issue a rallying call for support from all those who hold any affection for the club, making it plain that if they wish the club they love to survive, they can play their part in helping it happen by filling the stadium every week.

The current incumbents probably either feel that it would be beneath their dignity and demeaning to make such a rallying call, or probably more accurately they know that it would be met by derision, as those who could make the difference have already voted with their feet, having no desire to dig Lowe and Wilde out of the sh*t.

Whereas I understand LGSC's viewpoint and would support that position under most circumstances, I don't feel any obligation to do more than I currently do, attending match by match, but reserving the right not to go if my attendance stops giving me enjoyment because we are constantly losing at home to teams like Blackpool who we ought to be able to beat.

I think that I am totally in accord with Vectis Saints well reasoned viewpoint.

This debate is one of the most interesting for some time, as I feel that it encompasses the very crux of whether we can continue as a club in our current form. All very well those saying that unless we support the youngsters as they deserve and fill the stadium to support them, the dwindling attendances that we are experiencing now will soon result in our continuing losses leading to administration. And they then infer that it would be our fault, that because we stayed away, we killed our club. Most however would say that the club began its path towards our current poistion the moment that we got relegated and the ensuing boardroom shenanigans only made matters worse. Whether attendances declined as a result of a combination of factors such as the relegation from the Premiership, protests against Lowe/Wilde/Crouch, or the football played under Burley, Dodd and Gorman, Pearce or JP, does not alter the fact that the declining attendances are a fact more to do with the failures of one board or another and that like it or not, the fans have the perfect right to attend or not according to their own private reasons, whetever they be.

A new board comprising none of the charlatans who have been involved with us this past decade would at least be able to issue a rallying call for support from all those who hold any affection for the club, making it plain that if they wish the club they love to survive, they can play their part in helping it happen by filling the stadium every week.

The current incumbents probably either feel that it would be beneath their dignity and demeaning to make such a rallying call, or probably more accurately they know that it would be met by derision, as those who could make the difference have already voted with their feet, having no desire to dig Lowe and Wilde out of the sh*t.

Whereas I understand LGSC's viewpoint and would support that position under most circumstances, I don't feel any obligation to do more than I currently do, attending match by match, but reserving the right not to go if my attendance stops giving me enjoyment because we are constantly losing at home to teams like Blackpool who we ought to be able to beat.

I think that I am totally in accord with Vectis Saints well reasoned viewpoint.

I agree, but also think the current economic climate needs to be factored in as well.

I've described myself on here as a `mug fan', but I think you should ease up when calling supporters morons. Some of us bought ST's because we love watching Saints, the fact we are **** right now is just the way it is, but a supporter must take the rough with the smooth. When we finally get a modicom of success those that have suffered long and hard will appreciate things that little bit more.

crowds are down at other clubs and has one poster said its got nothing to do with lowe,even if he went it would make no difference to the attendances,its just a excuse.we are down to our hardcore ,the rest will start returning if we are winning games.i have enjoyed the games this season compared to the rubbish we had last season.