Why do some of you bother?

MarkSFC

It absolutely amazes me how some people on this forum can be so negative about all things Saints so much of the time. For the only time in my short period of supporting Saints (35 years and counting) we actually have on the evidence so far at least, an owner who is very wealthy and wants to invest his own money - and not borrow - and a CEO who has a very robust, positive, forward thinking, and customer centric strategy. We also have a manager who is extremly driven, recognises the huge opportunity he has been given, is very open and honest, articulates his views very well and is finally, mainly because of the lack of preperation he had at the start of the season and because of the stupid transfer window, shaping his own team.

As well as this their is money being invested in the training facilities, and a clear message from Nicola Cortese that he wants us to be leaders.

And yet despite all these extremely positive actions which from what I can tell is not replicated any where else in football currently are there STILL people who moan? You are like the kid at Christmas who got the expensive toy they moaned about all year but then moaned that they wanted it a different colour. We are THE luckiest group of football fans in the world right now IMHO and rather than be decisive and negative with your comments why don't you CHANGE just like the club has and look forward positively and excitedly to each and every game over the next few years? This club has new people running it, new players and basing your expectations on previous incumbants is folly.

Ok, we may not make the play-offs this year but considering everything that happened in the summer and the lack of time AP and NC had, I think even of we finish within 10 points of 6th, getting to the final of the JPT (and hopefully thrashing Carlisle!), having a decent run in the cups and only losing to Premiership teams, can definitley be regarded as succesful.

Positivity breeds success and even when you need to look at what is not great, looking at it in a positive manner is what allows development and this is how successful people and teams make that happen. So, e.g. Questioning whether AP will be here is a negative question and one that if left to fester "could" create doubt in his ability which actually in the cold light of day is clearly very good. Sure, if we fail to achieve championship status by the end of next season then that's different, but I truly believe that we are at the start of what will turn out to be the the most successful and exciting period in our clubs history, so if YOU ARE MOANING and NEGATIVE NOW, WHAT IS THE POINT of supporting Saints?!!

I for one would say keep your opinions to yourself for now and sit back and enjoy the ride!!

+1000

totally agree. That's why I spent £80 to hire a car, fill it with petrol and drove to some skank-hole called Adams Park on Tuesday night. To support our lads and our wonderful football club.

the moaners who want everything to be always rosy can **** off. Life is dirty and most times crap; live with it. Some you win, some you don't. But at least ****ing support our club with positivity...

THE SAINTS.

Assuming you're talking about the top division of English Football (rather than, say, the Champions League, in which case the answer is "Liverpool on 9th December 2009")...

...I was dying to say 1987/8 but Chelsea actually finished 18th out of 21 (3 teams below them) when they last went down, as the top division was restructuring.

So actually, its 1978/9 when Chelsea came bottom of Ye Olde (top) Division One.

And no, the word rhetorical doesn't mean anything to me. ;)

Was that back when Chelsea were skint, perchance? ;)

+1000

totally agree. That's why I spent £80 to hire a car, fill it with petrol and drove to some skank-hole called Adams Park on Tuesday night. To support our lads and our wonderful football club.

the moaners who want everything to be always rosy can **** off. Life is dirty and most times crap; live with it. Some you win, some you don't. But at least ****ing support our club with positivity...

THE SAINTS.

I think that'sa bit unfair my friend. Adams Park is not a bad place really... ;)

I would certainly give my jumbo hot dog a 7/10.

(And stewards and parking 8/10)!!!!

I think that'sa bit unfair my friend. Adams Park is not a bad place really... ;)

I would certainly give my jumbo hot dog a 7/10.

(And stewards and parking 8/10)!!!!

actually you are correct. My cheese burger from the van was only £2.50 and I got mushrooms and onions as well. I mentioned to the bloke behind me in the queue at the turnstile that it was not only the cheapest but best football-burger I has ever bought. I was genuinely impressed. The £4.00 crap we get outside SMS is disgraceful. (although the fella who sells from the Chapel Arms is excellent..)

as for the parking, yeah it was good to be so close and that it was free but Christ alive it took ages to get out...

+1000

THE SAINTS.

And I have a 20-inch schlong....

actually you are correct. My cheese burger from the van was only £2.50 and I got mushrooms and onions as well. I mentioned to the bloke behind me in the queue at the turnstile that it was not only the cheapest but best football-burger I has ever bought. I was genuinely impressed. The £4.00 crap we get outside SMS is disgraceful. (although the fella who sells from the Chapel Arms is excellent..)

as for the parking, yeah it was good to be so close and that it was free but Christ alive it took ages to get out...

Ah, the benefit of a little local knowledge (10 years working in Marlow) and frequent previous trips to AP do help to mitigate that a bit!! ;)

In the old days, I used to have lunch in the pub at the ground and as we would sit there with a pint and a mixed grill, Terry Evans and his team used to come in after training and have the same!!!

Ah, those were the days when players were men and sports science were subjects in Trivial Pursuit...

Jesus, I really am gob-smacked at the complaicency around here sometimes.

Or have I missed the Football League directive about pitch conditions from the 2010-11 season onwards for a starter ?

Where's the complacency?

I didn't say we definitely would win L1 at a canter, just that it seems plausible within the context of a five year plan. I haven't double checked the stats, but after a woeful start to the season (no wins in first 7), we have strengthened the squad substantially (Connolly, Barnard, Antonio, Jaidi, Fonte, Seabourne, Waigo all adeed...and no one significant leaving) and have pretty much shown league-winning form since then - 43 points in the last 23 games, I think?

Ok, for sure, the season starts on matchday 1 not matchday 8. But by next season, I'm guessing we would have strengthened the squad further, the team will have got used to playing with each other that much more (ok, they should be used to each other by now...but by next season they should be damned telepathic) and AP and others will have had a good few games to work out how to "cope" with muddy pitches etc. I'm almost treatng the next 16 league games as an extended pre-season tbh.

I reckon 100 points is a reasonable target. But I'd settle for 90. If we're falling much short of a target of 90 by this time next year, then serious questiosn can be raised about AP. But not until then really.

It absolutely amazes me how some people on this forum can be so negative about all things Saints so much of the time. For the only time in my short period of supporting Saints (35 years and counting) we actually have on the evidence so far at least, an owner who is very wealthy and wants to invest his own money - and not borrow - and a CEO who has a very robust, positive, forward thinking, and customer centric strategy. We also have a manager who is extremly driven, recognises the huge opportunity he has been given, is very open and honest, articulates his views very well and is finally, mainly because of the lack of preperation he had at the start of the season and because of the stupid transfer window, shaping his own team.

As well as this their is money being invested in the training facilities, and a clear message from Nicola Cortese that he wants us to be leaders.

And yet despite all these extremely positive actions which from what I can tell is not replicated any where else in football currently are there STILL people who moan? You are like the kid at Christmas who got the expensive toy they moaned about all year but then moaned that they wanted it a different colour. We are THE luckiest group of football fans in the world right now IMHO and rather than be decisive and negative with your comments why don't you CHANGE just like the club has and look forward positively and excitedly to each and every game over the next few years? This club has new people running it, new players and basing your expectations on previous incumbants is folly.

Ok, we may not make the play-offs this year but considering everything that happened in the summer and the lack of time AP and NC had, I think even of we finish within 10 points of 6th, getting to the final of the JPT (and hopefully thrashing Carlisle!), having a decent run in the cups and only losing to Premiership teams, can definitley be regarded as succesful.

Positivity breeds success and even when you need to look at what is not great, looking at it in a positive manner is what allows development and this is how successful people and teams make that happen. So, e.g. Questioning whether AP will be here is a negative question and one that if left to fester "could" create doubt in his ability which actually in the cold light of day is clearly very good. Sure, if we fail to achieve championship status by the end of next season then that's different, but I truly believe that we are at the start of what will turn out to be the the most successful and exciting period in our clubs history, so if YOU ARE MOANING and NEGATIVE NOW, WHAT IS THE POINT of supporting Saints?!!

I for one would say keep your opinions to yourself for now and sit back and enjoy the ride!!

Yup exactly what that man said. Great Post.

I reckon most of the moaners dont even watch the team, and spend their lives posting 10,000 posts of internet based 2nd hand rubbish..

All IMHO of course.

What do i know i just live in southampton and go watch the games...surely i should spend all day on here psycho analyzing everything to the nth degree...

Sad bunch i reckon.

Yeah I agree with the burgers from Adams Park - they were surprisingly good with cheese and bacon. The portion of chips wasn't bad either - I had two comments from lads on the way in that the pile of chips I was balancing was generous. I was really pleased the security guy took pity on my balancing act and decided not to search me!

Actually, we were the 10th highest spenders in England (ie including more than half the Premier League) in January.

And our boss makes us probably the 5th/6th richest club in England.

So outspending anyone is perfectly plausible!

Personally, not my style. But it's possible.

I agree with you, money is irrelevant unless you buy the right players. Look at Chelsea - still Jose's team even now really...

We needed pump priming to get on our way. Face it, we didn't have a competitive team for L1, and we still have some 15-20 players who's wages we're paying, but who never will play for the first team, and sadly nobody wants them, even on a free.

But getting a competitive team and clearing out the garden is what we needed investment for. After that we need to look at the club funding itself to a great degree. Our future is not to spend ourself to the top, just look what is happening down the road.

We need a completely different edge from clever strategies and tactics. I am looking for the seeds of that, not the complete article, but I'm not seeing any green shoots of the way we are looking for playing the game and win. Come on, help me out here, what are you seeing?

We needed pump priming to get on our way. Face it, we didn't have a competitive team for L1, and we still have some 15-20 players who's wages we're paying, but who never will play for the first team, and sadly nobody wants them, even on a free.

But getting a competitive team and clearing out the garden is what we needed investment for. After that we need to look at the club funding itself to a great degree. Our future is not to spend ourself to the top, just look what is happening down the road.

We need a completely different edge from clever strategies and tactics. I am looking for the seeds of that, not the complete article, but I'm not seeing any green shoots of the way we are looking for playing the game and win. Come on, help me out here, what are you seeing?

I'm not sure it's feasible for a club to be truly self-sufficient until they change the rules although if you look at our gates and TV income this year I bet we're not actually doing too badly as clubs go...

I have seen some good football this season and some bad, but what I can see is we have the right ingredients across the park when they are all fit!!

Perhaps we are one/two central midfielders short of the full ticket, but the spine is there, the nucleus of a side that I still believe will make the play-offs this season.

And if it doesn't I have no doubt that with the addition of the above, we will be the full ticket next season.

But above all, I'm having a lot of fun watching us score goals, win games (ok not enough in the league just yet) and cannot wait to go to Wembley where, frankly, I would go to watch us win a raffle... ;)