Why do some of you bother?

MarkSFC

I don't think there's any posters who would not like to have seen a better performance on Tuesday. Feck me, I've never seen worse!!! ;)

The point, however, is that someone always has to be to blame.

It's a facet of modern society that I hate. Whenever anything bad happens or accidents or anything that does not fit this wonderful pattern of glorious permanent success, someone has to be to blame...

Life ain't like that.

I came away from Tuesday's game knowing it was awful. The only person to blame is me. I chose to go, I chose to support Saints. Me.

This kind of responsible accountability is, sadly, alien in our culture these days.

Spot on Sir. I came away thoroughly fed up and ready to kick the cra*p out of the cat that I dont actually have. But it was very quickly clear that the person who had given up his evening, his cash, got wet and then not enjoyed himself was....Me.

How many moan about the moaners threads do we need?

I dont think that I moan so hope you're not including me as a moaner?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

no chance Glasgow postive vibes in every post from you I just wish the rest of the forum where as postive as you ****ing moaners the lot of them:smt082

It absolutely amazes me how some people on this forum can be so negative about all things Saints so much of the time

I wouldn't worry about it too much Mark. Most of the people with 1000's of posts are only on here to encourage us 'Registered Users' to fork out a fiver to be able to obtain an 'ignore list'!

3 posts a day? No probs with that. An ignore list would be really handy though - especially for the post-match threads where over 50% of the comments are from the same ol' people saying the same ol' stuff. Even 'back from game' threads are always hijacked by people who so obviously are more like 'back from the kitchen'.

It's a shame but ho hum - what will be will be...

Anyway - watching from afar the vibe I get from people who actually travel around the country to games is that this is one of their favourite seasons ever. I know secretly a lot would quite like us to stay in this league for next season. Assuming we keep our current owner, squad and manager then (I think) it would be a cracker. Top of the league with full houses at home and away games selling out all over the country.

Assuming it did all work out well we'd head into the Championship a lot stronger than if we manage to somehow scrape into it this season.

Good times ahead indead. Can't wait to see Saints back up in the Prem in the not too-distant future. Bring it on!

I wouldn't worry about it too much Mark. Most of the people with 1000's of posts are only on here to encourage us 'Registered Users' to fork out a fiver to be able to obtain an 'ignore list'!

3 posts a day? No probs with that. An ignore list would be really handy though - especially for the post-match threads where over 50% of the comments are from the same ol' people saying the same ol' stuff. Even 'back from game' threads are always hijacked by people who so obviously are more like 'back from the kitchen'.

Anyway - watching from afar the vibe I get from people who actually travel around the country to games is that this is one of their favourite seasons ever. I know secretly a lot would quite like us to stay in this league for next season. Assuming we keep our current owner, squad and manager then (I think) it would be a cracker. Top of the league with full houses at home and away games selling out all over the country.

Assuming it did all work out well we'd head into the Championship a lot stronger than if we manage to somehow scrape into it this season.

Good times ahead indead. Can't wait to see Saints back up in the Prem in the not too-distant future. Bring it on!

It has to be said when I talk to other saints fans at work or at st Marys they do seem a lot more positive than the many on here. Maybe I just don't hang around in the right places (like Glasgow, or the Alps).

True story.

It's been bloody brilliant and a trip to Wembley to top it off!

I agree it has been one of our best seasons in the last twenty years or so but I wish we were playing better football and thrashing a few teams

I agree it has been one of our best seasons in the last twenty years or so but I wish we were playing better football and thrashing a few teams

i am just glad we are winning more than losing.

watching the team now is just like watching back in the early 60's when i started, we are full of hope of becoming a top flight club again as the long term objective with a few good cup runs thrown in.

and even the skates are on the slide again

a 50 year cycle is starting again

so by 2034 we will top the European Super League problem is i will be 80

Good post Mark but sadly some people seem to support SFC so that they can wallow in negativity. I remember Birmingham sitting at the top of the CCC a couple of years ago and a faction of fans giving Steve Bruce grief so I suppose all clubs have them.

It doesn't bother me that they are negative, that is their right. What bothers me is that they feel they have the right to come and p*ss on everyone else's chips all the time!

Perhaps they should forn their own forum (called Doomwatch) and wallow in their collective gloom!

i am just glad we are winning more than losing.

watching the team now is just like watching back in the early 60's when i started, we are full of hope of becoming a top flight club again as the long term objective with a few good cup runs thrown in.

and even the skates are on the slide again

a 50 year cycle is starting again

Yes I agree but in those days there were some great matches I remember one against Middlesboro 0 0 at half time 6 0 at the end.

Just wish we could have a few of those games

It absolutely amazes me how some people on this forum can be so negative about all things Saints so much of the time. For the only time in my short period of supporting Saints (35 years and counting) we actually have on the evidence so far at least, an owner who is very wealthy and wants to invest his own money - and not borrow - and a CEO who has a very robust, positive, forward thinking, and customer centric strategy. We also have a manager who is extremly driven, recognises the huge opportunity he has been given, is very open and honest, articulates his views very well and is finally, mainly because of the lack of preperation he had at the start of the season and because of the stupid transfer window, shaping his own team.

As well as this their is money being invested in the training facilities, and a clear message from Nicola Cortese that he wants us to be leaders.

And yet despite all these extremely positive actions which from what I can tell is not replicated any where else in football currently are there STILL people who moan? You are like the kid at Christmas who got the expensive toy they moaned about all year but then moaned that they wanted it a different colour. We are THE luckiest group of football fans in the world right now IMHO and rather than be decisive and negative with your comments why don't you CHANGE just like the club has and look forward positively and excitedly to each and every game over the next few years? This club has new people running it, new players and basing your expectations on previous incumbants is folly.

Ok, we may not make the play-offs this year but considering everything that happened in the summer and the lack of time AP and NC had, I think even of we finish within 10 points of 6th, getting to the final of the JPT (and hopefully thrashing Carlisle!), having a decent run in the cups and only losing to Premiership teams, can definitley be regarded as succesful.

Positivity breeds success and even when you need to look at what is not great, looking at it in a positive manner is what allows development and this is how successful people and teams make that happen. So, e.g. Questioning whether AP will be here is a negative question and one that if left to fester "could" create doubt in his ability which actually in the cold light of day is clearly very good. Sure, if we fail to achieve championship status by the end of next season then that's different, but I truly believe that we are at the start of what will turn out to be the the most successful and exciting period in our clubs history, so if YOU ARE MOANING and NEGATIVE NOW, WHAT IS THE POINT of supporting Saints?!!

I for one would say keep your opinions to yourself for now and sit back and enjoy the ride!!

Great post mate but I do like some of the negative stuff - sounds stupid I know but there are negative posts and negative posters - not necessarily the same thing. Those that construct a good post deserve to have a considered response and if they (or you) are wrong then be man enough to hold your hands up and say so (I for one have far more respect for that). The idea of forums is that you can put your view out there and so open up a debate (as you have done).

There are a lot of intelligent posters on here that like a debate then, there are some that suffer from knee jerk reactions and just want to blurt out the first thing that comes into their heads. I try not to post my views on a game for at least 24 hours as I can then give a more considered view.

At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion - I just think some put that across either very aggressively or very poorly.

All IMHO of course. ;)

I expect every supporter will find a reason to feel that his or her team should be doing better. When two teams walk out onto the pitch that is a real leveller and it is 11 against 11. Price tags don't count for much. Man City fans will probably feel that they should be doing a lot better considering the cost of their team would pay off the national debt of a small country. Could we be doing better? Of course. Could we be doing worse? Yes we could. How much did Roy Keane spend on his Ipswich team? £8m was it?

I can't imagine anyone who doesn't enjoy this season in comparison with a number of really appalling ones which we have just had. But then you also need to compare it to a five year plan for getting back to the PL, and then you must reasonably ask yourself if you can see what the strategy is for the football team. If you can see it, then please inform me.

I expect every supporter will find a reason to feel that his or her team should be doing better. When two teams walk out onto the pitch that is a real leveller and it is 11 against 11. Price tags don't count for much. Man City fans will probably feel that they should be doing a lot better considering the cost of their team would pay off the national debt of a small country. Could we be doing better? Of course. Could we be doing worse? Yes we could. How much did Roy Keane spend on his Ipswich team? £8m was it?

What a load of rubbish. When was the last time Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool or Arsenal finished in the bottom three? Because everyone's equal and everyone can beat anyone so the league must be in a completely different order every season.

Funny how you were saying completely the opposite when you used to whine and moan about the "lack of resources" that the likes of Burley and Poortvilet had.

Oh.

What a load of rubbish. When was the last time Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool or Arsenal finished in the bottom three? Because everyone's equal and everyone can beat anyone so the league must be in a completely different order every season.

Funny how you were saying completely the opposite when you used to whine and moan about the "lack of resources" that the likes of Burley and Poortvilet had.

Oh.

Money DOES NOT buy you success straight away...look at Man City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where was all this thinking when Lowe got battered season after season for "not investing in the team" then?

The only people who say "money doesn't mean anything" are fans of clubs with shi teloads of money. If we were skint you and everyone else would be grizzle-arsing about how can we possibly compete we haven't got any money we need to invest in the team blah blah freaking blah.

It would be more accurate to say money DOES NOT GUARANTEE success straight away.

Look at Blackburn, Wigan and Fulham. All languishing in the lower leagues for decades until rich men bought them, threw a lot of money at them and all now in the Premierthingy.

Fulham started by sacking Micky Adams early in the season. Their new manager Ray Wilkins left the club at the end of that season and they stormed the league under Keegan the season after.

Oh, and Fulham had a five year plan to reach the Premmywotsit too.

And how many players in Chelsea's first title winning team (the first XI, not subs) were there before Abramovich took over? If I recall correctly only Terry.

But don't get me wrong, I'm loving the laughing at Citeh (while it lasts) ;)

Oh.

Jeez you talk twaddle. Not once did I say that Burley lacked resources. Poortvilet did though.

There are a lot of teams that have spent a great deal of money with nothing to show for it.

It would be more accurate to say money DOES NOT GUARANTEE success straight away.

Look at Blackburn, Wigan and Fulham. All languishing in the lower leagues for decades until rich men bought them, threw a lot of money at them and all now in the Premierthingy.

Fulham started by sacking Micky Adams early in the season. Their new manager Ray Wilkins left the club at the end of that season and they stormed the league under Keegan the season after.

Oh, and Fulham had a five year plan to reach the Premmywotsit too.

And how many players in Chelsea's first title winning team (the first XI, not subs) were there before Abramovich took over? If I recall correctly only Terry.

But don't get me wrong, I'm loving the laughing at Citeh (while it lasts) ;)

Why laugh at city? Looks likely they will finish 4th, qualify for the Champions League and then be able to attract the best players in the world that have previously turned them down because they want CL football

It's a facet of modern society that I hate. Whenever anything bad happens or accidents or anything that does not fit this wonderful pattern of glorious permanent success, someone has to be to blame...

Life ain't like that.

I came away from Tuesday's game knowing it was awful. The only person to blame is me. I chose to go, I chose to support Saints. Me.

This kind of responsible accountability is, sadly, alien in our culture these days.

Absolutely the top post of the decade there - well done fella...you've hit the nail on the head in a single small paragraph and I completely agree.

But then what about the guys that don't go - don't soak up the atmosphere of an home or away game - sit behind a PC and/or listen to the radio? Who do they blame? Not themselves - why would they - they've chosen to stay away (perhaps for perfectly valid reasons). So their only outlet is this forum - they have little positivity to contribute, so their views tend to come across as negative naturally.

In terms of the OP, I agree to a point. I believe there are more balanced posters on here than otherwise. Unfortunately, there are a couple of posters who seemingly have little good to say about Saints whatever the outcome. For example, after the Norwich win there was a notable absence of posts from Glasgow Saint if my memory serves me. However, I do sometimes wonder whether some of the posters on here are deliberate WUM's (best thing is avoid those people and/or put them on 'ignore').

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

Where was all this thinking when Lowe got battered season after season for "not investing in the team" then?

The only people who say "money doesn't mean anything" are fans of clubs with shi teloads of money. If we were skint you and everyone else would be grizzle-arsing about how can we possibly compete we haven't got any money we need to invest in the team blah blah freaking blah.

Pal, you've really got to try to move on and forget the past. ;)

I'm here to tell you we've been taken over by a very rich benefactor who has employed an extremely savvy businessman, who has employed one of the best English managers in the country, who has been given a reasonable amount of money to assemble a pretty decent team. AND, the majority of the people I know that go to SMS now are very happy with the way the club is run and the results we're achieving.

We're on the long arduous climb back up the rungs of the league ladder. We've not reached the top yet by a long chalk, however we're fitter now than we've been for many years and the journey is so much more enjoyable when there's hope for the future wouldn't you agree?

Great thread.

I really like the moaners v anti-moaners discussion. Not cos it's actually that important (we will all continue to support Saints whether whether we zoom up the leagues or whether we don't)

But because it encapsulates the nightmare and joy of being a football fan.

Given that all of us know:

1. we're blessed/condemned to support Southampton for the rest of our days

2. our weekends are lifted or crushed by what happens on a football pitch

3. our general optimism about the human race - and our own lives - is significantly influenced by the standing of our club

then it follows that

1. We analyse every transfer rumour and every kick of a ball in great depth (cos we're actually nerds, frankly)

2. We are all trying to work out whether or not in "the big picture" (not just last Tuesday, or the weekend before) we are moving in the right direction or the wrong direction And at what speed. This matters. Given we're all stuck as Saints supporters, the trajectory is crucial. At +5% per annum, I will see Saints win the Premiership in my liftetime. At -5% per annum, I'll be supporting a non-league club within a decade. And, of course, the %s are much smaller and tighter than that.

The moaners and non-moaners are both right. We're all trying to work out what will happen to our beloved club on the basis of a snapshot. And these tiny differences of opinion matter, beacuse tiny differences in trajectory will affect us all for years and decades to come.

What matters most is not whether the pessimists or the optimists are right, but that we all care in weird and wonderful ways about this club so much.

Well, I don't care who ends up being proved right. I'm just happy to have a club - and a web forum - where we can shout about something we all f*cking well love.

COYR

I can't imagine anyone who doesn't enjoy this season in comparison with a number of really appalling ones which we have just had. But then you also need to compare it to a five year plan for getting back to the PL, and then you must reasonably ask yourself if you can see what the strategy is for the football team. If you can see it, then please inform me.

Season one: we consolidate, having rebuilt the team at a cost of about 6m, and come about 9th in League One. We win the JPT.

Season two: we spend another 2m or so and win League One at a canter

Season three: we look to buy a little additional quality - but maybe just a single player at c. 2m or so - and do okay in the CCC (say 12th).. We do a couple of cute things in the cups (maybe hold Arsenal to a draw at SMS)

Season four: We build on the squad and a growing, enthusiastic fanbase, we're in the play-off mix. But our additional 6m of players mean that whilst we make it to the play-offs, we lose 5-4 on aggregate to West Brom in the play-off semis

Season five: Another 6m spent on players. Saints come 2nd in the CCC and are automatically promoted to the Premiership for the 2014-2015 season.

Is any of this implausible?

Season one: we consolidate, having rebuilt the team at a cost of about 6m, and come about 9th in League One. We win the JPT.

Season three: we look to buy a little additional quality - but maybe just a single player at c. 2m or so - and do okay in the CCC (say 12th).. We do a couple of cute things in the cups (maybe hold Arsenal to a draw at SMS)

Season four: We build on the squad and a growing, enthusiastic fanbase, we're in the play-off mix. But our additional 6m of players mean that whilst we make it to the play-offs, we lose 5-4 on aggregate to West Brom in the play-off semis

Season five: Another 6m spent on players. Saints come 2nd in the CCC and are automatically promoted to the Premiership for the 2014-2015 season.

Yes that bit;) I'd be happy with that timetable, but some want it quicker than that and according to them so does NC.

Jesus, I really am gob-smacked at the complaicency around here sometimes.

Or have I missed the Football League directive about pitch conditions from the 2010-11 season onwards for a starter ?

Great thread.

I really like the moaners v anti-moaners discussion. Not cos it's actually that important (we will all continue to support Saints whether whether we zoom up the leagues or whether we don't)

3. our general optimism about the human race - and our own lives - is significantly influenced by the standing of our club

then it follows that

1. We analyse every transfer rumour and every kick of a ball in great depth (cos we're actually nerds, frankly)

2. We are all trying to work out whether or not in "the big picture" (not just last Tuesday, or the weekend before) we are moving in the right direction or the wrong direction And at what speed. This matters. Given we're all stuck as Saints supporters, the trajectory is crucial. At +5% per annum, I will see Saints win the Premiership in my liftetime. At -5% per annum, I'll be supporting a non-league club within a decade. And, of course, the %s are much smaller and tighter than that.

The moaners and non-moaners are both right. We're all trying to work out what will happen to our beloved club on the basis of a snapshot. And these tiny differences of opinion matter, beacuse tiny differences in trajectory will affect us all for years and decades to come.

What matters most is not whether the pessimists or the optimists are right, but that we all care in weird and wonderful ways about this club so much.

Well, I don't care who ends up being proved right. I'm just happy to have a club - and a web forum - where we can shout about something we all f*cking well love.

COYR

+1 Superb post

Great thread.

then it follows that

COYR

The most balanced view yet on the subject - now if you don't mind keeping your boring balanced views to yourself ;)we can get back to the polarised happy clappers vs doom mongers debate:D

Why laugh at city? Looks likely they will finish 4th, qualify for the Champions League and then be able to attract the best players in the world that have previously turned them down because they want CL football

Hence the (while it lasts) part of the post.

Or have I missed the Football League directive about pitch conditions from the 2010-11 season onwards for a starter ?

You'd think that the result and performance on Tuesday would have shaken that complacency off a bit.

Alpine- do you really think that this senario is that inconcievable?

As fans we're not the one's which need to not be complacent....tell that to AP and the players.

However if we decide to have high expectations for next season then whats the problem with that!?

Alps,

Not seen this can you enlighten me - can't be arsed to troll through if its already on here. A brief summary will do.;)

Great thread.

then it follows that

COYR

Oh FFS!!!

The internet needs moaners and happy clappers - without it there is simply no debate.

What we can well do without is people rocking up with a relaxed and balanced view trying to stir down emotions so that we're all agreeing.

Change your name to Sanatogen!!!!

;)

What a load of rubbish. When was the last time Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool or Arsenal finished in the bottom three? /QUOTE]

Assuming you're talking about the top division of English Football (rather than, say, the Champions League, in which case the answer is "Liverpool on 9th December 2009")...

...I was dying to say 1987/8 but Chelsea actually finished 18th out of 21 (3 teams below them) when they last went down, as the top division was restructuring.

So actually, its 1978/9 when Chelsea came bottom of Ye Olde (top) Division One.

And no, the word rhetorical doesn't mean anything to me. ;)

Sadly not, and that is what worries me. It seems that this is AP's strategy, i.e. to play the same game as those we are meeting in the leagues, but hopefully to win regardless, because we will have better (and by inference more expensive) players. And I'm saying that that is not sustainable: We will hardly be able to outspend everyone in CCC and with absolute certainty not those in PL. The history of every successful football team is not always the amount of money spent, but it is hard work and application, AND IT IS A PLAYING STRATEGY TO OVERCOME THE OPPOSITION. Not a single one of them has played like everybody else.

Sadly not, and that is what worries me. It seems that this is AP's strategy, i.e. to play the same game as those we are meeting in the leagues, but hopefully to win regardless, because we will have better (and by inference more expensive) players. And I'm saying that that is not sustainable: We will hardly be able to outspend everyone in CCC and with absolute certainty not those in PL. The history of every successful football team is not always the amount of money spent, but it is hard work and application, AND IT IS A PLAYING STRATEGY TO OVERCOME THE OPPOSITION. Not a single one of them has played like everybody else.

Actually, we were the 10th highest spenders in England (ie including more than half the Premier League) in January.

And our boss makes us probably the 5th/6th richest club in England.

So outspending anyone is perfectly plausible!

Personally, not my style. But it's possible.

I agree with you, money is irrelevant unless you buy the right players. Look at Chelsea - still Jose's team even now really...

I do love the original post. Manufacture a false position so you can then hail down upon all you disagree with, on the basis of unity. Substituting the CEO's position to fit this view, even giving this modified view as support of a lame point.

So you don’t feel Pardew should go, irrespective of his results between now and the end of the season. Well many on here and by all indications Cortese, do not share that view. So this is not any form of disagreement with Cortese’s statement, but a positive reinforcement of that view.

• This is not about promotion this season, but maximising our chances of promotion next season.
  • Cortese has made it very clear he is of a similar mind and most fans will back that with what we have seen. Along with the acceptance if Pardew is still here next season, irrespective of results.

The discussion is how much time Pardew should be given, when he has shown no indication he is the correct person to obtain automatic promotion next season? If Pardew suddenly finds the form that can give that confidence for next season, I fully expect Cortese to keep him on, even if we don’t make the play off’s. Bearing in mind Pardew stated he deliberately went against Cortese’s instructions on prioritising the league, I don’t believe he has a hope in hell of being here next season, unless he can convince Cortese he is capable.

So what are you moaning about? Cortese, the person that saved us from oblivion, or the fact you feel Pardew should stay, irrespectively?