Stats for the moaners...

Dibden Purlieu Saint

I would love to say they are wrong lol but ....

"Cortese said: 'A trip to Wembley would be great but it is not what I am concerned about.

'Our aim all along is to reach the Premier League as soon as possible.

'Our league results have not been satisfactory against that objective.

'I look forward to the team getting back to winning ways against Norwich.'

"

jesus christ..cortese felt the need for what ever reason to speak in public about results...how often has he done that..?

he was not too happy with them and wants the playoffs.....that is all..why is that so hard to accept...why are people scared of the playoffs..?

where is post that says anyone is scared of playoffs, doesn't want them or doesn't think we should aim for them?

There aren't any.

.....Cue the backlash.

No backlash but it seems to me if you continuously offer up a long list of excuses for our (almost certain) failure to reach the play-offs this season then Human nature dictates that people will shelter behind them . If you really want to see our club prosper then what good purpose does that serve ?

Yes - it's true we have labored under certain disadvantages this season .

No - we probably haven't done as well as we might have in overcoming them .

where is post that says anyone is scared of playoffs, doesn't want them or doesn't think we should aim for them?

There aren't any.

Plenty of people screaming like women to the tune of "when did he say it...PROVE HE SAID IT...he never said it...when did he say it" whenever anyone talks about Cortese aiming for the play offs. Like, well, you do.

Offended by the very idea of aiming for the play offs. Calling people who think we should be aiming for the play offs "negative moaners".

There's a lot of it about NickG.

Plenty of people screaming like women to the tune of "when did he say it...PROVE HE SAID IT...he never said it...when did he say it" whenever anyone talks about Cortese aiming for the play offs. Like, well, you do.

Offended by the very idea of aiming for the play offs. Calling people who think we should be aiming for the play offs "negative moaners".

There's a lot of it about NickG.

No there isn't.

Some of us just think Pardew is doing an ok job and given the team he's assembled over the course of a year and with a full pre-season, we will storm this division next season. Some of us are worried, based on very recent history, that a change in manager over the summer will actually mean a step backwards.

Leeds almost got automatic promotion and started on minus 15 - Fact (though they ****ed it up in the playoffs !!)

My point was that i thought it was achievable to reach the playoffs, we are not going to but hey ho. My main point are our performances, bar a good little run when we went on the 3-1 spree we have been far from convincing, even up to now.

We need to sort out the stops and starts and find a decent run of form before next season imo.

Thats all, i am not one for the 'it will all be ok next year' as viewing our performances right now i am not sure it will.

That said, fair point to the OP, the league has been a lot more difficult this year but for me our overall performance has not been good enough. 1 win against the top 6 and at times struggle against the lower teams.

If the above makes me a moaner so be it.

Leeds almost got automatic promotion and started on minus 15 - Fact (though they ****ed it up in the playoffs !!)

My point was that i thought it was achievable to reach the playoffs, we are not going to but hey ho. My main point are our performances, bar a good little run when we went on the 3-1 spree we have been far from convincing, even up to now.

I think that is very true and I gave up about the play Offs around Christmas an was pleased with our progress in the Cups.

To some extent the League is irrelevant this season as a good run towards the end of this season may mean nothing next season when we may have a slightly different team

We need to sort out the stops and starts and find a decent run of form before next season imo.

Thats all, i am not one for the 'it will all be ok next year' as viewing our performances right now i am not sure it will.

That said, fair point to the OP, the league has been a lot more difficult this year but for me our overall performance has not been good enough. 1 win against the top 6 and at times struggle against the lower teams.

In the case of Dirty Leeds they had Wise and Poyet in place the season before when they got relegated. It does make a difference having time to prepare for a new season and Leeds won their first half dozen games if i rememer right which soon got them off the bottom of the table.

In my book that is all sensible analysis. We can debate about Leeds quality of squad and the quality of League 1 when Leeds came down but lets not.

The thing i would argue with you is about the performances. I'm not sure anyone is really thumping teams this season apart from little runs.

Leeds and Norwich, like us, have had convincing 'little' runs. But they've also 'scrapped' home against lots of teams. Look at this week's results for examples.

Now, it's fair to say where they are scrapping home we are only managing draws and that is the difference. But their good runs got them into the top 2. Our good run only got us mid-table. Confidence wise that makes a difference.

A season of playing together, a year to have figured out what makes each of the players ticks, and hopefully a tweak or two to the mid-field and we should be great next year in this league.

Can't argue with those points Sheff Saint.

Next year hopefully we will be a little stronger, in my eyes i can't see a lot of changes to the playing staff, barring any exits which i hope not, especially our core of Davis, Fonte, Spiderman, Lambert.

We need to be more clinical and more professional, grinding those results out and scoring those goals which we seem to miss from 8 yards.

IMO the top 6 (bar us) will not be as strong anyways.

I win against the top six but still to play four of them at home... with that kind of selective assessment you should be thinking about working in Centrica's pricing policy function...

Not really selective Le God, just current facts.

Like i said, i have no motive, i am just puting my opinion out there we need to improve next season.

Unlike some i have no desire to attempt to sway opinions, so i am not going to be selective. When argueing you have to look at both sides.

I have changed my overall assessment, this season was probably harder than expected, i still think we could have reached the playoffs without the need of a miracle.

But mainly i am dissapointed with our overall performances.

In the case of Dirty Leeds they had Wise and Poyet in place the season before when they got relegated. It does make a difference having time to prepare for a new season and Leeds won their first half dozen games if i rememer right which soon got them off the bottom of the table.

It also makes a difference to have the whole city united behind the club, management and team and it makes a difference to have millions to spend on players and wages and with the best backroom team in the league. It also makes a difference to be 10 points down rather than 15.

Leeds had none of those things, but of course they had it easier than us :rolleyes:

If we had Ken Bates in charge instead of ML and Cortese I'm sure you'd find something to grizzle about.

Edited by CB Fry
Ken not Ted of course.

Like i said, i have no motive, i am just puting my opinion out there we need to improve next season.

Unlike some i have no desire to attempt to sway opinions, so i am not going to be selective. When argueing you have to look at both sides.

I have changed my overall assessment, this season was probably harder than expected, i still think we could have reached the playoffs without the need of a miracle.

We don't need a miracle. We need to win the ten of 16 home games we have left and also win a few away. That could be enough.

Your stat of only beating 1 Top Six team could easily be "have beaten five of the top six" in a few weeks.

Some results have been disappointing I agree - Tuesday case in point!!!

I retain my faith that we will make the play-offs. 85 points is my prediction, I hope it will be enough.

I think it is gone, but i live in hope.

I try to be optimistic but realistic.

85 points will probably do it tbh, as we still need to play some of the top 6 teams.

Results like tuesday don't help mind.

The only reason I think it's possible is that I forecast a draw at Norwich and win at Wycombe... I acytually think the latter might help in the long run as it now shows the ethic and application required! It's not going to be as easy as they thought maybe...

It also makes a difference to have the whole city united behind the club, management and team and it makes a difference to have millions to spend on players and wages and with the best backroom team in the league. It also makes a difference to be 10 points down rather than 15.

Leeds had none of those things, but of course they had it easier than us :rolleyes:

If we had Ken Bates in charge instead of ML and Cortese I'm sure you'd find something to grizzle about.

No offence but think you have lost the plot a bit. Are you saying leeds don't have the whole city behind them when they are a one club city? and Leeds have spent no money since they have been in league 1? Leeds have had Wise/McAllister and now grayson who stepped down a division to manage them. Have no idea what the reference to Ken Bates is also?

Edited by AndyNorthernSaints

No offence but think you have lost the plot a bit. Are you saying leeds don't have the whole city behind them when they are a one club city? and Leeds have spent no money since they have been in league 1? Leeds have had Wise/McAllister and now grayson who stepped down a division to manage them. Have no idea what the reference to Ken Bates is also?

Yeah, sorry. Leeds fans were all united with the way Ken Bates put the club into admin and then bought it back himself. It was one big happy family at Elland Road when they went down. It was indentical to the feelings in Southampton around the Leibherr takeover. Just the same.

But hey, they had a pre season and everything.

Personally, I'd far rather see the club aiming high and not getting there than effectively writing off the season. Having ambition and voicing it is way better than settling for mediocrity before the season even starts. If you don't achieve what you set out to do it isn't necessarily a cause for weeping, wailing, moaning and gnashing of teeth. You have to look at why you didn't get there, then make damn sure you do so next time around. If we don't make the play-offs I'll be disappointed but not downhearted. But if we hadn't even tried to get there, or expressed a desire to get there, I'd be royally píssed off.

jesus christ..cortese felt the need for what ever reason to speak in public about results...how often has he done that..?

he was not too happy with them and wants the playoffs.....that is all..why is that so hard to accept...why are people scared of the playoffs..?

They are not "scared" of the playoffs. They are simply refusing to believe that NC and ML really have a three-year plan, not a five-year one, since of course this season represents a complete tittus verticus of that plan. Also, we are apparently going to spend another 2m over the summer (personally, I wouldnt give AP a clothes peg at this stage) and "win the league at a canter" despite the fact we are going to be visiting places like Millwal, Brentford, Colchester, Orient and Wycombe again....

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

In the end the 3 year or 5 year plan is odds on likely to fail.Every other club will also have 3 or 5 year plans and i suspect none of them will be to be in a lower league in 5 years. The trouble with football [but also the thing that keeps us hooked] and supporting a team is all about hope and expectations. Look at the prediction leagues or the pre match "what will the score be". i think even if we were playing man u there would be more guesses in our favour.

It is hard to be objective and although i think i am positive, a part of me thinks we could have done better this season with the resources.Then i think we were at ground zero not many months ago, and to see where we are now we should certainly be feeling happy.

What could be better next season? Well for a start the team would hopefully be more practiced in the managers tactics. Hopefully we may have rid ourselves of the good players we have who cant play because they are allways injured. Perhaps we would have introduced a couple more top quality players, maybe even have unearthed a gem from some where.

The one thing that is certain next year is that it wont be quite as straightforward as we may think. The trouble is all the other bloody teams. The pride of beating a "big club" [in terms of division 1]. The dodgy pitches, the teams fighting for their lives in the lower end of the league and even the teams on the day that were better than us.

We are very lucky in the person who has bought us, things really could have been so different. I still maintain that the key person for us next season will be the manager. If i have one question in my mind which will be answered by the end of next season, it is, is Pardew good enough. My heart wants to say yes and may he still be here in ten years. I have this niggling voice in my head though that keeps doubting him.

I think that as supporters we should hope that Saints win the large majority of their remaining games, and draw the few difficult ones.

We should also hope that a couple of better placed clubs have form lapses on the run in.

If so we may just, with luck and no key injuries, scrape into the play-offs and even win a very unlikely promotion.

If we were being rational and not supporters then we would take a cold look at the stats and realise just how difficult it will be.

So lets just be supporters and HOPE.

COYR

I think most Saints fans could look back at last season's performances and shed tears. Why are so many disappointed with the way we've played this year? Our team this season would easily beat last season's. Why are people not happy with the stability we've achieved? This season was always one of transition and I hope Pardew knew or was told that (like we were) when he signed the contract. I am just thankful we have a club and most of us are enjoying our football for the first time in years. I remember when we were in the Premiership and put in some woeful performances against clubs in lower divisions than us!

I think most Saints fans could look back at last season's performances and shed tears. Why are so many disappointed with the way we've played this year? Our team this season would easily beat last season's. Why are people not happy with the stability we've achieved? This season was always one of transition and I hope Pardew knew or was told that (like we were) when he signed the contract. I am just thankful we have a club and most of us are enjoying our football for the first time in years. I remember when we were in the Premiership and put in some woeful performances against clubs in lower divisions than us!

Becuase they don't have any paitence. I have a feeling some of our fans are embarrassed to be in league one. Some still see us as a EPL team who shouldn't be where we are. The Chairman made one comment a few weeks ago which some feel vindicated their postion and they have siezed upon it.

My take is we are where we are on merit there's nothing to embarrassed about. I can't believe anyone would argue that we are not better than the last few seasons, the problem seems to be how long we all think the turn around back to the higher leagues should take.