Plusnet Broadband

saint_stevo

I had a look at broadband deals a couple of months ago for a mate and the Plusnet deal was by far the best.

He went for it and has had no problems so far (2 months).

He uses it for surfing not gaming, but he has reported no issues.

The wireless router seems fine (I set it up for him).

I'll give him a buzz later today and see if there are any issues. I'll get him to run a couple of speed tests too, but he lives in an area with pretty p1sspoor speeds anyway.

HTH mate.

It's the cheapest deal around if it's price you are concerned about, but only if you live in a Market 3 area where there are enough competitiors. If you don't then the same package will cost you £11.99 so be careful when you sign up.

And if you phone up and mention that you've seen the 3-month free deal on Martin lewis' money saving expert website then you will get just that - the first 3 months free.

You get a free Thomson TG585 v7 router on a deferred 12-month contract, meaning that if you cancel the service within a year you have to pay £40 for the router and £30 setup fee, but they both get waived if you stay longer.

Just one thing to be aware of though, there are certain restrictions on certain protocols during peak time as part of their traffic-shaping. Have a look here and select the Value package to see what restrictions there are.

I've been with Plus.net for over 3 years and they've been very good. Very quick turnaround from placing an order to having broadband up-and-running. Technical support has been first class on the few occassions I've needed to use it.

I've recommended Plus.net to family members - they've also been pleased with their service.

Can't say much more than that really... they've been fine for me and I have no intention of taking my custom elsewhere for the forseeable future.

Have used plusnet in the past and would recommend them. As Bexy says, port and traffic shaping issues are a problem, but only if you get up to the more "colourful" things that I do whilst online...

Who are you with mate?

I've just moved away from TitanADSL as they've changed their provider from Enternet (someone who I thought was really good) to Vispa (someone I know nothing about.) That, and their support lines are open from 10AM-5PM monday to Friday which wasn't much good to me this weekend when I had no internet - the magically it came back online during the early hours of Monday.

premium.

You should be getting decent speeds because gaming is traffic is supposed to be prioritised 24-hrs a day on the Premium package.

You might want to raise a ticket with the tech support team to have a look at it. I haven't had any training on that side yet so can't really tell you what's causing the slower speeds.

I've had O2 broadband for 4 months now. Had an initial set up problem (although i think this was down to abnormally bad weather at the time), rang up the customer service at 8am and they'd sorted it by midday.

Had no problems since then, apart from the initial hiccup it's been bulletproof reliability, very fast, very friendly and efficient (UK based) customer service. My particular package is a little pricey but the first 3 months were free and usage is unlimited. If you are an O2 mobile customer you can get a superb deal.

When recommending broadband providers I have one general rule. . .

Avoid BT like the plague.

Edited by JackFrost

Heard good things about Plusnet, never had them myself.

I'm with BE, which is part of the same network as O2, and I'm very happy with them. Their customer service is excellent, and line sppeds are excellent too. Currently connected at just under 17mb, although real world speeds tend to max out about 15mb when connected via Ethernet, and about 11mb over wireless.

At the value end, they now do an 8mb for £7.50pm, and I know people who have this who are very happy with it.