Stoke Match Thread

saint_stevo

Was a good match i thought, Pericard's goal was good! If we can do a bit better in defence then we will be alright. Even though we lost i am a bit more confident we can do ok. Thomson was good again. Davis in goal made some great saves too. Bring on saturday!

am very impressed with spiderman, and holmes takes up some good positions. DMG worked hard, didnt see his goal as was in toilet!!

I am still worried about our full back situation, if that lot are all we have them im very worried

Stoke's report suggests Lallana had a good game, is this true?

He missed a few chances but i felt combined well with DMG. On a scale of 1-10 i'd say he was a solid 7. Which compared to last seasons ratings is pretty good! After the last 2 games i would deffinatly start with those 2.

First half clearly had our players not 100% none the less played some nice stuff just same as usual few real efforts or taking too long to shoot .. Llalana (sp?) was class though and Holmes delivered some good crosses. Thought Gillet did well vs a much bigger opponent! Thomson looked rather jaded though didnt get forward as much as 2nd half vs WH and seemed a bit lost.

2nd half was wholescale change people with most credit from this half would have to be mills who gt forward and defended brilliantly, John who had a few decent chances and Dyer who to my mind should be starting on sat in place of thomson. Even BWP looked reasonable. Only thing 2nd half was we seemed susceptible to the counter attack with so many players bombing forward. To be fair thats all Stoke really had but they were organised and so this was a good test Kitson looked good for them but fell over alot ... ****age :-p If thats all they have this season see a points return circa Derbys by next may!

Lallana was quality. Always found space for himself and looks well suited to playing in that role off the striker dropping deep and linking up the play. Also nice to see the full backs not having to lump it long as he's always looking for it to feet. Surman in particular found him a few times along the deck when last season it would have been a good old lump and hope for the best.

Very impressed whenever I've seen him so far pre-season

Positives...

1. Lots of possession.

2. Good, quick passing game.

3. Davis good game - better than Bart for sure and defo no.1 goalie.

Overall, at half-time I was starting to think - "I might actually enjoy next season - perhaps I've been wrong about the coach"

Negatives

1. In both halves the defending was awful at times...particularly Thomas made some terrible blunders for a seasoned pro. But the youngsters in the 2nd half were not up to the job.

2. Despite good passing and possession, the goal threat was weak. The only striker that has the ability to shoot with feet it seems is Stern John and he is just not getting the service when we play hoof ball to Rasiak. This REALLY needs sorting out - DMcG is NOT good enough to get us the goals we need IMO.

3. I paid good money to choose my seats in the Kingsland only to find it was a free-for-all unreserved seat match and my seats were taken! Once again the club tramples over its customers FFS.

Anyway, in summary I actually think we will do OK if we keep John and/or Rasiak. Not top half, but not relegation and thats a definate improvement over what I thought 24 hours ago. Bring it on.

your comment about unreserved seats..I knew that was the case last week and I had no intention on going tonight..

I bought them via the website and it let me choose the seating area - why not tell me then that it was unreserved seating? It really hacks me off the way the club is so poorly managed in this regard.

Positives...

1. Lots of possession.

2. Good, quick passing game.

3. Davis good game - better than Bart for sure and defo no.1 goalie.

Overall, at half-time I was starting to think - "I might actually enjoy next season - perhaps I've been wrong about the coach"

Negatives

1. In both halves the defending was awful at times...particularly Thomas made some terrible blunders for a seasoned pro. But the youngsters in the 2nd half were not up to the job.

2. Despite good passing and possession, the goal threat was weak. The only striker that has the ability to shoot with feet it seems is Stern John and he is just not getting the service when we play hoof ball to Rasiak. This REALLY needs sorting out - DMcG is NOT good enough to get us the goals we need IMO.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Thomas glaringly at fault for at least two of the goals, he just doesn't appear to know where he's meant to be. Lallana exceptional again.

Oh, and ten thugs + Rory Delap a premiership team does not make. Perhaps the ref was asked to ignore their 'muscling' to harden up the youngsters?:-k

Odds for Saints in Labrokes :

5-1 To be relegated

11-1 to be promoted

Went to the game, Im slightly concerned with lightweightness of our team, The Championship is renowned as we know for its bully-boy tactics and im not sure that the current Squad can handle it! But I hope im wrong.

Played some attractive football at times, lost possesion too much in midfield and seemed scared to have a shot. We tried to walk it in too much, kind of Arsenalesque.

A massive positive though is the fitness of the players compared to the end of last season, Rasiak for one looked alot slimmer and was chasing the ball down (yes i did say chasing the ball down) .

Dyer looked in top form, so did Spiderman.

So overall I think it was a good run out. Davies is definately Number 1 keeper, If you watched Bialkowski he wasnt too sure where to be one minute he would decide to run out for the ball, then change his mind and get back on his goal-line, I did see Perry having a word at one point.

Im not over-optimistic but once everything is all settled I think we will be OK, after all we are starting the season as an unknown quantity really, so im expecting a few surprises.

A game of two halves I thought. First half was close to the 1st half form against West Ham, but somehow not with the same sustained energy - I think Stoke played a bit more of a spoiling game compared to West Ham. Overall continuing to impress though.

Second half was strange, and very disjointed after some of the flowing moves of the first half, but somehow felt a bit more threatening in the box at times with Stern John and Rasiak on the end of the crosses. Pericard should never have been allowed to go as far as he did and the winner was a bit of a comedy effort.

Looking forward to watching our best 11 perform.

Who would that be from the 21 players you saw tonight (plus Svensson presumably)?

Davis

James Perry Killer Surman

Shneiderlin Gillet

Lallana

BWP Holmes

McGoldrick

Stern John for some games up front, and we might need Wotton with MS in CM for some of the more physical battles. ...and Andrew Davies Centre Defence instead of Perry when available.

Who would that be from the 21 players you saw tonight (plus Svensson presumably)?

For me it would be

James Svennson Perry Surman

Dyer Schneiderlin Gillet Holmes

Lallana

McGoldrick

(or whatever crazy formation we play). Would like to see McGoldrick given a chance, but definitely have John on the bench to swap with DMG should we need to.

If I was to chose;

Davis

Lloyd James Svensson Perry (with no davies as yet) Surman (because who else do we have?!)

Dyer Morgan S Gillet Holmes

Llalana

John

I'd agree with that. (although no John for Cardiff due to suspension)

Like what I've seen so far from all of the above but squad wise we are thin to say the least & will need a bit of luck for a change this season on the injury front

thought was not as nippy as WHU but still good performance.

First half showed that skillful play and moving ball around quickly can match a physical team.

2nd half thought actually looked more traditional tactics - slower moving of the ball and midfield dropping back towards 4 with two forwards. John and Rasiak were not noticeably John behind a lot of the time.

Rasiak started lively -chasing the defenders.

Dyer looked very lively, good skills and very up for it.

My prediction for team

Davis

James Perry Svensson Surman

Schneiderlin Gillet

Dyer Lallana Holmes

McG

For me it would be

James Svennson Perry Surman

Dyer Schneiderlin Gillet Holmes

Lallana

McGoldrick

(or whatever crazy formation we play). Would like to see McGoldrick given a chance, but definitely have John on the bench to swap with DMG should we need to.

John still suspended

first half -

good slick passing,look good going forward, however Im worried where the goals will come from

Thomas so far off the pace it was embarrassing

Very lightweight, The team i fear will get bullied out of the game IMO.

We really need an old head alongside spiderman who can add some steel to the side.

Second half

Much the same as last year, lump it forward, immobile front man

Dyer should start ahead of thompson

Stern john to play ahead of DMG

Wotton what can I say - Pedestrian

Mills looked pretty good.

Overall The second half side would get relegated bottom without a doubt. the first half side have undoubted potential but we need Svenson and Davies fit as a minimum.

I guess we will see what they are cabable off in a real competitive match come saturday.

As optimistic as I am, I think it is criminal that we are going into a season without one recognised/proven full back. I'm sure Burley was criticised for the same thing this time last year regarding central defenders.

The starting XI on Sturday should be as tonight - except Killer for Thomas. Those saying Dyer should play instead of Thomson are totally wrong! Thomson is a far better crosser of the ball is more direct and links well with James and Lallana.

I can't wait for the new season - we will be the Arsenal of the Championship!

We will be great to watch and to all the doubters, get your monet on at least reaching the playoffs!

The starting XI on Sturday should be as tonight - except Killer for Thomas. Those saying Dyer should play instead of Thomson are totally wrong! Thomson is a far better crosser of the ball is more direct and links well with James and Lallana.

We will be great to watch and to all the doubters, get your monet on at least reaching the playoffs!

I haven't got any Monets. Will Emins do?

As optimistic as I am, I think it is criminal that we are going into a season without one recognised/proven full back. I'm sure Burley was criticised for the same thing this time last year regarding central defenders.

I agree 100%

Yet it seems not to bother anyone this season, I really don't care if the new guys are making all the right noises. To do the same thing at the start two seasons running is total madness.

Anyway enjoyed the game.

Kinda felt like a reserve match with only 5k in the the place.

I reckon we'll be alright next season as we only just lost to the 2nd best CCC team from last season.

Positives:

Davis

James

Schneiderlin

Holmes

Lallana

McGoldrick

John

Hatch

Mills

Dyer

White

Neutral:

Surman

Wotton

Gillett

Perry

Bialkowski

Thomson

Negatives:

Thomas - Out of his depth, very disappointing performance

Racine - Naive at times

Wright-Phillips - no end product

Rasiak - doesn't fit Saints new system

Good to read so many optimistic posts for a change... but let's be frank (or george...!), the bottom line is we have to improve on last season - otherwise we are out of this league too.

Personally - I'm looking forward to it given what I've heard of the squad up to now. Under no illusions of promotion, but hoping for some good things from the young guns.

Kinda felt like a reserve match with only 5k in the the place.

I reckon we'll be alright next season as we only just lost to the 2nd best CCC team from last season.

Positives:

Davis

James

Schneiderlin

Holmes

Lallana

McGoldrick

John

Hatch

Mills

Dyer

White

Neutral:

Surman

Wotton

Gillett

Perry

Bialkowski

Thomson

Negatives:

Thomas - Out of his depth, very disappointing performance

Racine - Naive at times

Wright-Phillips - no end product

Rasiak - doesn't fit Saints new system

what was positive about davis he did NOTHING,

and dyer he was awful should have gone down the line instead always cut inside he's SH*T

Thanks for your impressions!

mills was alright lallana holmes andddd thompson were ACE mcgoldrick was **** until he scored. we were screwed again by a rubbish reff guess he thought it was basketball

the comment over the Ref is something we can expect this season, we are playing a style that is alien to this division and the vast majority of the country.

Thing that intrigues me is that i thought Wotton had been brought in to act a "minder" like Jimmy Case did , but that does not appear to be happening unless it is felt he cannot play 2 games a week.

the comment over the Ref is something we can expect this season, we are playing a style that is alien to this division and the vast majority of the country.

Thing that intrigues me is that i thought Wotton had been brought in to act a "minder" like Jimmy Case did , but that does not appear to be happening unless it is felt he cannot play 2 games a week.

I think you have to remember it was a friendly and just as you are not supposed to imply to much about how the players will play in real competitive matches that is just as true about the refs. Ref's are generally far more lenient in friendlies than competitive matches.

I think you have to remember it was a friendly and just as you are not supposed to imply to much about how the players will play in real competitive matches that is just as true about the refs. Ref's are generally far more lenient in friendlies than competitive matches.

hope you are right because CCC ref's are not to good on picking up the pushing etc, hence Derby's success with Moore and Howard

hope you are right because CCC ref's are not to good on picking up the pushing etc' date=' hence Derby's success with Moore and Howard[/quote']

I think (hope) the difference will be that this season when our players get fouled it will more regularly just after they have passed the ball on and I think even CCC referees are going to have to start booking people for late challenges after a while.

Showed me last night that John and Rasiak can play together. John played a blinder last night and played a little deeper. Vey impressed with Schneiderlin, and young White. Good performances from Lallana and Dyer. Poor performances from Thomas and Wright-Phillips (greedy bastard). Davis looked better than Bart (surprise, surprise).

First time I have seen the new team. Can't say I'm wetting myself in anticipation for the start of the season.

Oh, and ten thugs + Rory Delap a premiership team does not make. Perhaps the ref was asked to ignore their 'muscling' to harden up the youngsters?:-k

Agreed ... but they ARE a Prem Team ( for this season anyway )

They did however, illustrate exactly the type of opposition we can expect in most matches in the CCC .... hard, uncompromising, physical, etc.

Completely different to West Ham, who do like to play Football, like Saints

But, IMHO, Saints "playing football " is their Achiiles heel. Last night, the Football was not quite as flowing as we had seen in previous matches, but WHY ?? .... quite simply, the opposition Sus it out and prevent you playing it. A few unpunished crunching tackles will soon deter youthful exhuberance.

DMG up front in the CCC is NOT the answer. He MUST have help, possibly from Stern John, who has the muscle and experience to deal with the "ten thugs" scenario.

Rasiak ?? Last night showed why no one wants him. running around like a headless chicken, and achieving nothing.

To be realistic, we ARE going to struggle, but I don't think to the extent of being Relegation certainties.

what was positive about davis he did NOTHING,

and dyer he was awful should have gone down the line instead always cut inside he's SH*T

Davis' distribution was great last night. Released a few early balls and also played some short balss too, unlike last season, sit on it till everyone's settled then hoof it up field. Made a great save too.